Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

They're making a habbit out of this South Africa. In the last 15-16 months or so they've knocked over Pakistan, New Zealand and us for under 50. Even when we were at our best with Warne, McGrath and co I don't remember us doing that to anyone.

Why would you select Haddin, when he's reportedly recovering from a serious hamstring injury? Last I heard it was a 6-7 weeker...

There's no chance I'd select Haddin based on that.

And besides, they leave for India on the 9th of Feb - he's no where near ready.

I don't see that it's necessary to take two keepers; I'm pretty sure we haven't always done so and I don't see the need to change that.

17 is a large squad; is there anyone who should feel aggreived at missing out? We seem to have an unlimited battery of quicks, but the spinning stocks seem a bit depressing.

I think our batting prospects seem as disappointing as I can remember, but that can change fairly quickly. The only thing is that there aren't too many guys ripping the Shield apart.

I agree re: Rogers, Biffen. He'll feel as unlucky as guys like Law, Hodge, etc.

I don't see that it's necessary to take two keepers; I'm pretty sure we haven't always done so and I don't see the need to change that.

17 is a large squad; is there anyone who should feel aggreived at missing out? We seem to have an unlimited battery of quicks, but the spinning stocks seem a bit depressing.

I think our batting prospects seem as disappointing as I can remember, but that can change fairly quickly. The only thing is that there aren't too many guys ripping the Shield apart.

I agree re: Rogers, Biffen. He'll feel as unlucky as guys like Law, Hodge, etc.

Based on his ODI form probably George Bailey may feel a little unlucky, despite not tearing it up in the Shield.

Doherty's taken 2 shield wickets @ 88 this year, yet he got selected based on his one day form, so Bailey could have been worth a shot.

If Hodge doesn't make a comeback then I'd like to see Watson openning and Bailey batting at 4 by the time the Ashes comes around.

Watched the T20 match last night between New Zealand and England and am dissapointed to say how good England are, even in that format.

Their bowling probably needs a little work but they were very impressive with the bat making 214. Their top 5 all batting well.

I'm not very optimistic heading into the Ashes unless somehow we manage to beat India in India and New Zealand cause a major upset and knock off England in the test series over there.

Watched the T20 match last night between New Zealand and England and am dissapointed to say how good England are, even in that format. Their bowling probably needs a little work but they were very impressive with the bat making 214. Their top 5 all batting well. I'm not very optimistic heading into the Ashes unless somehow we manage to beat India in India and New Zealand cause a major upset and knock off England in the test series over there.

Yes me neither, I am pretty confident for the ashes here though. It would take something very special to get up in England and I think Hussey is a huge gap going over there. Should be interesting.

Watching the ODI Narine is quite impressive. His action is really unconvincing but he gets genuine turn and some uneven bounce. He is only 24 too so hopefully he gets a few more tests in the future - the Windies haven't had a decent spinner in a long time.

Edited by Django

Yes me neither, I am pretty confident for the ashes here though. It would take something very special to get up in England and I think Hussey is a huge gap going over there. Should be interesting.

Much will depend on Pattinson, Starc, Bird, Johnson, Siddle and Lyon. It's a shame that Cummins will probably not be available. Think we can make enough runs to be competitive although we'll need a few of our batsmen to step it up on the tour of India. In England, Maxwell could be the batting all rounder unless the selectors want to play a 4th seamer. Hopefully Watson will have returned to the bowling crease by then and we'll have even greater bowling depth.

Lots of if's and but's although England have their issues as well. They are not as good as when they 'peaked' in the series in Australia a couple of years ago. Gonna be tough though and first of all, we need to perform in India. It's arguably going to be tougher to win in India with the spinning decks that will probably be presented over there.

Clarke is a very good leader and in career best form with the bat so we've got no problems there. I'm hopeful without being overly confident. (kinda like the way I feel about our footy club ^_^ )

Watching the ODI Narine is quite impressive. His action is really unconvincing but he gets genuine turn and some uneven bounce. He is only 24 too so hopefully he gets a few more tests in the future - the Windies haven't had a decent spinner in a long time.

I agree with your thoughts on Narine, especially in the shorter formats of the game. Needs a bit of work still in the test format. Seems to try and bowl a wicket delivery every ball and just needs a bit of patience. I actually thought that Bishoo was very unlucky to get dropped for Narine in test match cricket actually. Had taken 40 wickets in only 11 tests bowling leg spin in a struggling side which is a decent effort.

Much will depend on Pattinson, Starc, Bird, Johnson, Siddle and Lyon. It's a shame that Cummins will probably not be available. Think we can make enough runs to be competitive although we'll need a few of our batsmen to step it up on the tour of India. In England, Maxwell could be the batting all rounder unless the selectors want to play a 4th seamer. Hopefully Watson will have returned to the bowling crease by then and we'll have even greater bowling depth.

Lots of if's and but's although England have their issues as well. They are not as good as when they 'peaked' in the series in Australia a couple of years ago. Gonna be tough though and first of all, we need to perform in India. It's arguably going to be tougher to win in India with the spinning decks that will probably be presented over there.

Clarke is a very good leader and in career best form with the bat so we've got no problems there. I'm hopeful without being overly confident. (kinda like the way I feel about our footy club ^_^ )

The issue with the bowlers is lack of experience in England I think. A lot is riding on the shoulders of Siddle and Johnson (to a lesser extent as I doubt he'll play every test). Bird seems to be the kind of bowler who could be pretty useful in the English conditions and I have a lot of hope for him. Good mixture of bounce, accuracy and movement both ways. Pattinson could provide the intimidation factor,if he is firing!

In regards to India, it will be a tough series. Lyon should take a few wickets, but it is going to be a massive year. Rotation policy will be in full effect.

The issue with the bowlers is lack of experience in England I think. A lot is riding on the shoulders of Siddle and Johnson (to a lesser extent as I doubt he'll play every test). Bird seems to be the kind of bowler who could be pretty useful in the English conditions and I have a lot of hope for him. Good mixture of bounce, accuracy and movement both ways. Pattinson could provide the intimidation factor,if he is firing!

In regards to India, it will be a tough series. Lyon should take a few wickets, but it is going to be a massive year. Rotation policy will be in full effect.

Yep, Starc is another with X factor. Huge upside for this bloke. When he gets it right he's a real handful. They may take 6 quicks to England given that we're sending an extended squad of 17 players to India and the rotation policy has been enacted. There is usually a surprise or 2. Hilfenhaus, Cutting, Hazlewood, Coulter-Nile and McDermott would be in the mix as well.

If Cummins was fit and firing we'd be a real show. Hopefully he'll be ready next summer (for the return bout) A bowling line up of Cummins, Pattinson, Starc and Lyon with backup from Watson and Maxwell would be a dangerous combination. That's a 'future's' line up. Siddle at the moment is one of the first picked.

Just on the rotation policy - they've got to make sure they get their timing right. For instance, in a 5 Test series you would want close to your best combination for 3 of the Tests. (that's assuming the rotation policy stays) And they need to be flexible. They shouldn't just rest bowlers just because a of set plan. Starc was rested after the Hobart Test this season when he hadn't done a lot of work in that game. And they mucked up with Siddle - he should have been fresh for Perth. They need to put some real thought into it - identify pitch conditions, result wickets, vital rubbers etc etc.

Edited by Macca

Yep, Starc is another with X factor. Huge upside for this bloke. When he gets it right he's a real handful. They may take 6 quicks to England given that we're sending an extended squad of 17 players to India and the rotation policy has been enacted. There is usually a surprise or 2. Hilfenhaus, Cutting, Hazlewood, Coulter-Nile and McDermott would be in the mix as well.

If Cummins was fit and firing we'd be a real show. Hopefully he'll be ready next summer (for the return bout) A bowling line up of Cummins, Pattinson, Starc and Lyon with backup from Watson and Maxwell would be a dangerous combination. That's a 'future's' line up. Siddle at the moment is one of the first picked.

Just on the rotation policy - they've got to make sure they get their timing right. For instance, in a 5 Test series you would want close to your best combination for 3 of the Tests. (that's assuming the rotation policy stays) And they need to be flexible. They shouldn't just rest bowlers just because a of set plan. Starc was rested after the Hobart Test this season when he hadn't done a lot of work in that game. And they mucked up with Siddle - he should have been fresh for Perth. They need to put some real thought into it - identify pitch conditions, result wickets, vital rubbers etc etc.

I understand there is a lot of cricket coming and I understand the benefit of rotations and giving various bowlers a chance to show their wares under International conditions in preparation.

But I remain critical of a couple of decisions particularly the resting of Starc from the Boxing Day Test. He was rightly livid about the decision and right to go after a very good bowling performance in the Test prior.

The positives out of that Test though, was the performance of Bird and return to form of Johnson. So there are positive outcomes and people forget that.

England will be interesting. Australia are known as somewhat flat track bullies. And the Duke ball in English conditions will be a hurdle for the Aussies top order. And the swing the Poms can generate is an absolute challenge for the top order too.

I see Bresnan has gone to the US for a special surgery.

I'm attending the 3rd Test at Old Trafford early August with some mates and all we've spoken about over Summer is our line ups for the Tour and if we can get a settled line up soon enough. To be honest, there is still much to consider for the selectors but I reckon they've pencilled in Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Bird with Johnson the back-up for pace.

I know Pat Cummins had a great debut Test, but that is now an eternity ago and he's been battling injuries ever since. He does have X-factor (like Pattinson) but he needs to get his body right before any consideration.

I understand there is a lot of cricket coming and I understand the benefit of rotations and giving various bowlers a chance to show their wares under International conditions in preparation.

But I remain critical of a couple of decisions particularly the resting of Starc from the Boxing Day Test. He was rightly livid about the decision and right to go after a very good bowling performance in the Test prior.

The positives out of that Test though, was the performance of Bird and return to form of Johnson. So there are positive outcomes and people forget that.

England will be interesting. Australia are known as somewhat flat track bullies. And the Duke ball in English conditions will be a hurdle for the Aussies top order. And the swing the Poms can generate is an absolute challenge for the top order too.

I see Bresnan has gone to the US for a special surgery.

I'm attending the 3rd Test at Old Trafford early August with some mates and all we've spoken about over Summer is our line ups for the Tour and if we can get a settled line up soon enough. To be honest, there is still much to consider for the selectors but I reckon they've pencilled in Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Bird with Johnson the back-up for pace.

I know Pat Cummins had a great debut Test, but that is now an eternity ago and he's been battling injuries ever since. He does have X-factor (like Pattinson) but he needs to get his body right before any consideration.

Those bowlers who can bowl over 150km always seem to have injury issues. Lee missed a fair whack of Test cricket over his career. Cummins is back playing grade cricket as a batsman I believe, so there are some positive signs. Lillee and Thomson had their fair share of injury issues. DK was very quick early in his career.

I've known a number of blokes who have gone over for the Ashes before. There is always a lot going on sporting wise in the UK around late June, all of July and most of August. There's a group from my cricket club who are doing the cricket, Open golf, Wimbledon, Grand Prix and Le Tour. They are on the move every day for 5 or 6 weeks.

Looking forward to your 'Ashes Reports' in early August! ^_^ Our man in Manchester !

Bresnan is a good player but the bloke who has dropped off the radar is Tremlett. He's got a crook knee apparently and hasn't played for quite a while. Dangerous customer when firing. Finn has come on quite well though. In their conditions they'd have to be favoured right now, but you never know.

I don't mind the rotation policy if they get it right. The chances are they're going to do it anyway so we have to accept it in a lot of ways. Also, Test series are played over a shorter time frame on a consistent basis, couple this with the demands of the other forms of the game means the fast bowlers need rest. A rotation policy can give any given quick bowler an added incentive and he doesn't have to 'save himself'. Competition for spots is a healthy thing and having an arsenal of quicks is not a bad option. For instance, they may decide to play all the 5 fast bowlers for 2 tests each in India. 3 in one Test and the other 2 in the next Test and so forth (2 spinners may play in at least 2 of the Tests)

But the best of the quicks should play whenever possible. Winning is always the priority - we left ourselves short of quality fast bowlers for the vital 3rd test against South Africa in Perth this season. The preceding test in Adelaide is where Siddle and Pattinson could have been rested. If they are going to rest/rotate they have to bite the bullet.

Well if I wasn't concerned about our ability to take 20 wickets in a test on our tour of India before last night I certainly am now.

India A 4/338 at stumps on day 1 with our three spinners (Lyon, Doherty & Agar) bowling a total of 49 overs for 3/244 between them, Doherty taking all three.

I'm really starting to think that we may be better off going in with 4 quicks being Pattinson, Bird, Starc & Siddle (all different types of quicks) and using Maxwell, Clarke & Warner to bowl part time spin. You could look to each of those 4 quicks to bowl approx 15-18 overs a day, 6 overs a session to make sure no one blows up in the Indian heat, and then that would only leave you with approx 20 overs a day in which you'd need to use your part time spinners, maybe 10 overs out of Maxwell and 5 each roughly out of Clarke & Warner.

End of the day we don't have Swan & Panesar, so we're not going to spin India out. We need to play them on our terms and that will be with good tough, disciplined fast bowling.

Well if I wasn't concerned about our ability to take 20 wickets in a test on our tour of India before last night I certainly am now.

India A 4/338 at stumps on day 1 with our three spinners (Lyon, Doherty & Agar) bowling a total of 49 overs for 3/244 between them, Doherty taking all three.

I'm really starting to think that we may be better off going in with 4 quicks being Pattinson, Bird, Starc & Siddle (all different types of quicks) and using Maxwell, Clarke & Warner to bowl part time spin. You could look to each of those 4 quicks to bowl approx 15-18 overs a day, 6 overs a session to make sure no one blows up in the Indian heat, and then that would only leave you with approx 20 overs a day in which you'd need to use your part time spinners, maybe 10 overs out of Maxwell and 5 each roughly out of Clarke & Warner.

End of the day we don't have Swan & Panesar, so we're not going to spin India out. We need to play them on our terms and that will be with good tough, disciplined fast bowling.

Reckon Lyon will probably play in all the Tests. There is a strong chance that all the wickets will be devoid of grass thus nullifying the effectiveness of the quicks to a fair degree. Expect low, slow turning tracks.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a practice match although I do agree that it could prove difficult to bowl them out twice. They might have the same trouble bowling us out twice. They'd be shaded in their own conditions but their team isn't of the same quality as in years past. We could get some close finishes and a couple of draws.

I reckon it will be a 1-1 result (which would mean that we'd retain the 'Border-Gavaskar Trophy') If all goes well we may even win the series (though I'm nearly always reasonably confident with the fortunes of the Test side) Apart from anything else, I can't stand the thought of losing. Have the same attitude with our footy club but a lot less confident with the predictions! ^_^

It's always great cricket from India, and because it's on at a user friendly time, we get to see most of the game time (if people have got cable, of course). At this stage it doesn't look like ABC radio are covering the series (which is a shame)

Edited by Macca

I agree, I think starc is the one to trouble them (england) if he can keep his mind right.

His movement & height would trouble any top batsmen.

Swing & seam will be deadly if he can handle their ball.

I'm really worried about our batting.

Edited by dee-luded

I agree, I think starc is the one to trouble them (england) if he can keep his mind right.

His movement & height would trouble any top batsmen.

Swing & seam will be deadly if he can handle their ball.

I'm really worried about our batting.

Starc is possibly only one big Test away from becoming a star. If he has a stellar match in India then look out. He's got good pace, is left arm over and has a high release (obviously aided by his height) . India may not suit him but if he has a big game over there it will be some sort of achievement.

Our batting stocks aren't great but a few of them have got a chance to consolidate their spots on the tour of India. Look for Hughes and Khawaja to do well. Hughes has tightened up his technique and has come back a better player whilst Usman has a nice batting style. Clarke, Warner and the often unfairly maligned Watson are the mainstays.(although Watson needs to start turning his good starts into big scores) I like Ed Cowan. He's a solid player but needs to churn out some bigger scores. It's maybe out of Cowan and Khawaja for that top order spot - Hughes can open if needs be.

What's with all the 'indifference' aimed at our players these days? Clarke, Hughes, Johnno, Watto and Lyon all seem to cop it at various times. Thankfully the Clarke bashers have largely disappeared. Is it to do with off field? I couldn't give a rats toss bag about that stuff. Gossipy rubbish as far as I'm concerned. How would Dougie Walters go these days with the social media reporting his every move? (re the ciggies and the 'odd' beer!) Walters was a great player on the field and in the end, that's all that matters.

Edited by Macca

Reckon Lyon will probably play in all the Tests. There is a strong chance that all the wickets will be devoid of grass thus nullifying the effectiveness of the quicks to a fair degree. Expect low, slow turning tracks.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a practice match although I do agree that it could prove difficult to bowl them out twice. They might have the same trouble bowling us out twice. They'd be shaded in their own conditions but their team isn't of the same quality as in years past. We could get some close finishes and a couple of draws.

I reckon it will be a 1-1 result (which would mean that we'd retain the 'Border-Gavaskar Trophy') If all goes well we may even win the series (though I'm nearly always reasonably confident with the fortunes of the Test side) Apart from anything else, I can't stand the thought of losing. Have the same attitude with our footy club but a lot less confident with the predictions! ^_^

It's always great cricket from India, and because it's on at a user friendly time, we get to see most of the game time (if people have got cable, of course). At this stage it doesn't look like ABC radio are covering the series (which is a shame)

I see what you're saying Macca, and I have no doubt that the wickets will be more suitable to spinners then the quicks. My concern is that our spinners are so ordinary and their batsmen are so good at playing spin that we'd be better off playing quality fast men on flat wickets then playing a below par spinner on dust bowls against the best players of spin in the world.

I'd take a 1-1 result, however I'm fearing a 2 or 3-0 loss. Fingers crossed.

I see what you're saying Macca, and I have no doubt that the wickets will be more suitable to spinners then the quicks. My concern is that our spinners are so ordinary and their batsmen are so good at playing spin that we'd be better off playing quality fast men on flat wickets then playing a below par spinner on dust bowls against the best players of spin in the world.

I'd take a 1-1 result, however I'm fearing a 2 or 3-0 loss. Fingers crossed.

Alright, I'm predicting an Aussie series victory then ...... 2 - 1 ^_^

Clarke will dominate and lead from the front. All our players will chip in and the Indian public will be beside themselves with grief! Aussies will return home as heroes and the 'Ashes' will be there for the taking! You read it here first 'TD' :blink:

Edit : I tend to agree with you re our spinners but I do rate Lyon. Is Agar up for selection? I thought he was just over there for an internship but he's played in both practice games. Don't know much about him.

Our spinners fought back a bit in that tour match but were still quite expensive ... India A vs Australia

Edited by Macca

Aussie women have started very well in the Final.

0-36 from 6 overs thus far.

1-86 now off 19 overs. Hope I don't mozz her but Jess Cameron looks comfortable at the crease.

Decent bowling by the Windies has made it tough for the Aussies to get easy runs by finding the gaps, forcing them to try and go over the top - this has resulted in a few catches to the Windies.

Aussies now 6-192 off 40 overs. 250 would be good from here. Quintyne really turned the momentum: 10-1-27-3

Aussies lost 3-15 off the 5 over powerplay. Sometimes the powerplay can play with batspeople's brains and get them to do things they really shouldn't.

Decent bowling by the Windies has made it tough for the Aussies to get easy runs by finding the gaps, forcing them to try and go over the top - this has resulted in a few catches to the Windies.

Aussies now 6-192 off 40 overs. 250 would be good from here. Quintyne really turned the momentum: 10-1-27-3

Aussies lost 3-15 off the 5 over powerplay. Sometimes the powerplay can play with batspeople's brains and get them to do things they really shouldn't.

Classic description there '45' ^_^

The Aussies got to 259 in the end. Hopefully it will be enough.