More insults from the AFL

Blistering

And that’s where it’s wrong.

The AFL become our biggest sponsor and, at every TV rights negotiation the viability of the club is called into question. Do you accept this?

If we get a fairer deal, we get exposure and attract sponsors rather than social welfare.

Conceding to a draw where Melbourne play the majority on Foxtel, with 15 Sunday games and 1 night game is gutless.

I don’t accept the “blockbuster game” concept. Each match in a round is equal in its merits of what timeslot it deserves. Whether Carlton plays Collingwood on a Friday night or a Sunday twilight is meaningless.

i agree with you point. if the afl wont give us good time slots and exposure (or at least equal) we dont have the ability to grow our brand, meaning we rely more on the afl to help us along. i cant believe the afl truly wants a 16 team competition with the current 16 teams, because they dont look after the sides equally...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that’s where it’s wrong.

The AFL become our biggest sponsor and, at every TV rights negotiation the viability of the club is called into question. Do you accept this?

If we get a fairer deal, we get exposure and attract sponsors rather than social welfare.

Conceding to a draw where Melbourne play the majority on Foxtel, with 15 Sunday games and 1 night game is gutless.

I don’t accept the “blockbuster game” concept. Each match in a round is equal in its merits of what timeslot it deserves. Whether Carlton plays Collingwood on a Friday night or a Sunday twilight is meaningless.

How is it wrong????

Its called reality.

As a stand alone business, MFC or about 5 other Vic clubs could not survive on their own. Indeed the demographic of this country suggests that it is ludicruous to think Melb can fund and support 10 teams. 9 with Kangas moving North.

AFL football is a brand which has value through the sale of TV rights. As part of those rights, the AFL contracts to provide 16 clubs playing 8 games a week for 22 rounds and then finals. This predominantly why clubs like MFC survive. The AFL puts in place enough equalisers (draft, salary cap etc) to create a competition that people will watch and follow. By the value of the rights, attendances and TV ratings, the AFL have done a good job at expanding the game.

Giving Melb greater exposure the cost of say a Collingwood costs the AFL through the gate and through the TV ratings. It might be better for MFC or another struggling club but it is potentially at the cost of your stronger clubs.

Its an unfair slur at the MFC committee saying their "gutless" in accepting the draw as it is. I know for the fact that the MFC Committee have lobbied the AFL match committee to achieve a better outcome. However we bring small cards to the table. What do you suggest?.....I'll huff and I'll puff.

Dean's onto a good point. Given the nature of football and the money involved, it is harder now to bridge that gap than say 20 years ago.

However, its no good bleating "its not fair" like a spoilt child. Its self serving at best and achieves little.

How is it wrong????

Its called reality.

However, its no good bleating "its not fair" like a spoilt child. Its self serving at best and achieves little.

Well the obvious question is, what do we do about it, beside the equally obvious answer of win more games. We can see that teams with poor years like Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood a couple of years ago still get the best draws. It is inarguably unfair to have rigged draws but given that it is the system we play under what is the answer?

Well the obvious question is, what do we do about it, beside the equally obvious answer of win more games. We can see that teams with poor years like Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood a couple of years ago still get the best draws. It is inarguably unfair to have rigged draws but given that it is the system we play under what is the answer?

Touche.

There is no golden goose solution to this as systemically MFC has problems in financially viability on its own.

It going to win games, encourage support of a successful club despite the inequities, and to pursue the 1%'ers that make us a more viable club in the long term (eg strengthen relationships with the AFL powerbrokers and lobby the AFL when we can).

Unless we achieve that, MFC and others will continue to live on a lifeline long term at the grace of the AFL that we are condemned to doing in the short term to medium term.

Guest fatty
How is it wrong????

Its called reality.

Its only a reality because the AFL can dictate how it chooses to operate its competition which is 100% based on revenue maximisation with little regard for other issues.

You don’t have to tell me why the draw is as it is, and I agree that my argument is completely self-serving. Its for the benefit of the MFC.

The AFL has introduced a draft system and salary cap to ensure the evenness of the competition to the detriment of the cashed up clubs but is an overall benefit to the competition. However, it does nothing to ensure a level playing field with respect to the draw because this is how it maximises its revenue. Their logic is also self-serving.

But that’s fine, Rhino. Go ahead and accept our ranking as a 2nd tier club. It won’t serve us well in the long-term.

I’ll go on bleating until it changes. Obviously, I won’t get very far on this forum.

Its only a reality because the AFL can dictate how it chooses to operate its competition which is 100% based on revenue maximisation with little regard for other issues.

You don’t have to tell me why the draw is as it is, and I agree that my argument is completely self-serving. Its for the benefit of the MFC.

The AFL has introduced a draft system and salary cap to ensure the evenness of the competition to the detriment of the cashed up clubs but is an overall benefit to the competition. However, it does nothing to ensure a level playing field with respect to the draw because this is how it maximises its revenue. Their logic is also self-serving.

But that’s fine, Rhino. Go ahead and accept our ranking as a 2nd tier club. It won’t serve us well in the long-term.

I’ll go on bleating until it changes. Obviously, I won’t get very far on this forum.

Exactly the AFL run the show for revenue maximisation. The AFL does not have to ensure a level playing field. They only have to provide a competition that maxmises the issues I said before. As they are doing that overall and MFC are not changing their profile as a club, I cant see MFC cutting a significantly better deal.

Where I have I accepted anything about us being a 2nd tier club. Financially we are. Furthermore a realistic understanding of the situation is the first step to resolving the problem.

But keep bleating as much as it achieves.

It looks ok, except we only get 1 Friday night game, and we play Geelong in Geelong... AGAIN!

Pretty sure I counted 5 interstate trips not including our sold home game (and f'ing Geelong :rolleyes: ), which is not too bad.

Happy that the majority of our matches are on Sunday as well (Saturday would have been better, but what can you do!).

Overall it doesn't strike me as a bad draw, now lets just hope it's the right one!

AFL have just explained on SEN that the Melb home game vs Geelong is precise date of 150th anniversary of the first Aussie Rules game & is why against the Cats. Also telecast leads into opening ceremony of Bejing Olympics so expecting biggest viewing audiance of 2008. Hopefully MFC will be in good position to show its wares on the night.

Priority for MFC was games at the G & we have got that.

Note that the day of the game against Richmond at TD is Carlton Vs Filth at the G.

Guest fatty
Where I have I accepted anything about us being a 2nd tier club.

When you accept the MFC as a “weaker” club you buy into the AFL’s justification for favouring the “stronger” clubs in the draw. Yes, we’re 2nd tier.

The AFL does not have to ensure a level playing field.

This is where I disagree with you. I believe the AFL does have a responsibility to ensure an even competition. They already do this with the draft and salary cap but fall short when it comes to the fixture because it lines their pockets.

To be honest, I believe the draw is the least of the club’s issues at the moment. But one can put a case forward that it is not helping whilst other clubs get the better timeslots, attract the better sponsors and thus improve their revenue streams which can be injected into the football department and facilities. If the draw was more evenly balanced, then sponsors would see equal exposure and equal value in all clubs.

I don’t believe the MFC wants to be on welfare. It would appear that it suits the AFL to keep the drip-feed flowing.

But we won’t agree and you’ll reply with something condescending so don’t bother.

When you accept the MFC as a “weaker” club you buy into the AFL’s justification for favouring the “stronger” clubs in the draw. Yes, we’re 2nd tier.

This is where I disagree with you. I believe the AFL does have a responsibility to ensure an even competition. They already do this with the draft and salary cap but fall short when it comes to the fixture because it lines their pockets.

To be honest, I believe the draw is the least of the club’s issues at the moment. But one can put a case forward that it is not helping whilst other clubs get the better timeslots, attract the better sponsors and thus improve their revenue streams which can be injected into the football department and facilities. If the draw was more evenly balanced, then sponsors would see equal exposure and equal value in all clubs.

I don’t believe the MFC wants to be on welfare. It would appear that it suits the AFL to keep the drip-feed flowing.

But we won’t agree and you’ll reply with something condescending so don’t bother.

Our financial position, membership and facilities are inferior to other Clubs and we perennially draw small crowds. This does not meet the AFL's criteria for maximising crowd numbers. It got nothing to do with aritificial tiering of Clubs.

You need to understand what the operating objectives of the AFL are.

I do agree with you that the draw is the least of our worries and in my opinion the draw is only a small part of the reason why we are where we are.

Have you inquired what the MFC do as to lobbying the AFL on the draw. Your case has been put often and clear to the AFL. I dont agree that the sponsor will equate equal time with equal value in sponsoring clubs. It would help but its superficial to think it would on its own create equality. I think your view of sponsorship and advertising underestimates what the true value of each club/"brand" is.

Guest fatty

RR, I’m well aware of the reasons for the draw and the AFL’s stance. I just don’t agree with them no matter how much you try and awaken enlighten me.

I do know that the MFC lobbies hard for requested fixtures and a fairer outcome. I concede my “gutless” comment was out of line. I’m not sure if you read Steve Harris’ comments on the draw but it wasn’t exactly glowing (although he did make some concessions).

Yes, my views on sponsorship are Utopian but my argument remains that there needs to be a level playing field in all aspects of the draw. By your own admission, the AFL sees no need for such a concept.

When we have 1 night game for the year and other clubs have 12, the MFC is being penalised whether it be intentional or not.

Maybe we should just leave it at that.

What about our ANZAC weekend game in Sydney?

It was a bit of a non-event anyway, if you ask me. I'm just glad we don't have to play on that table-tennis table this year. God I hate the SCG.

Well you can speak only for yourself on the "non-event" of this game, but it usually (or nearly) sold out the SCG and while that means nothing to the Demons as a business, this game actually meant plenty to those of us who will continue to cough up our hard earned and loved seeing our boys come to town once a year.

And don't through insults at our ground up here, I mean really, I love the SCG and while it has its disadvantages it does not deserve to be crapped on by anyone :angry: