Captain

Demons 32

With the recent Neitz bashing going on. I would like to know who people think should be the next captain?

I believe it will be McLean but is he the best choice? Who do YOU want to captain? Thoughts?

McLean.

Hands down the best man for the job, but ONLY if Neita chooses to hand it over himself. If he wants to captain next year, he deserves to.

I hate the idea of having a caretaker captain. McLean may not be 100% ready, but he'll grow into the role, and is our best long-term option. In theory, he should still have plenty of support from his senior players (but as Homer Simpson would say "in theory, Communism works :rolleyes: )

Leadership group for 2008:

McLean ©

Green (VC)

Rivers

... throw in a couple of other names (Junior for one more year?, Bate? Jones? Bell?)

Demons32 and i started discussing this on another thread.

I 100% agree that Brock should and will captain the mfc one day. I personally do not think it should be next year. We have all put so much pressure on this boy and we have to remember that he is only 21. His game as stand in captain this year was astrocious.

As I said in the other thread I think he has really battled to come back from his injuries and coupled with the fact that our opposition is always putting their best tagger on him, he really needs to be able to play himself back into some good form and regain confidence. Please do not think I am bagging him - it is actually the opposite.

I think we all know he is something special and I just don't want him to be ruined by having to deal with too much responsibility too early in his career. For this same reason, sorry Jaded, but I really would not want jonesy or Bate in the leadership group at this stage - let our young players learn their craft before they try to lead a team. Both Brock and Nathan Jones will have their day (possible Matty Bate too) and they will be fully deserving when it happens for them.

Having said all that, I am still struggling to come up with a name to take on the role. Leave it to Neitzy or perhaps J Mac. Brad Green is another who I wouldn't mind but I am struggling with anyone else. Would love to see Jaryd Rivers in the leadership group.

Demons32 and i started discussing this on another thread.

Having said all that, I am still struggling to come up with a name to take on the role. Leave it to Neitzy or perhaps J Mac. Brad Green is another who I wouldn't mind but I am struggling with anyone else. Would love to see Jaryd Rivers in the leadership group.

I am in 100% agreeance on this. Rivers seems to be the forgotten son. I really do believe he is the most important player at MFC. He won the rising star as a defender, beating Davey, he is outstanding and to get his injuries behind him he is the man to anchor this teams defense for years to come.

Jeff White Captain

James MacDonald Vice Captain

Cameron Bruce Vice Captain

Jeff White captain? Dear god we won't win a game.

He will be lucky to have not been traded by year end.

Jeff White Captain

James MacDonald Vice Captain

Cameron Bruce Vice Captain

Tell me you are joking? Are you Jeff White's Dad? What has he possibly done that would make him worthy of being rewarded with the captaincy?

His efforts this year have been half hearted to say the lest - not exactly showing the inspirational play I would like our captain to demonstrate.

We are all entitled to our own opinions though.........

What games have you been watching^^^^^^

He is ranked second in hitouts in the league

Leading the club in marks

Averaging 17 disposals a game

Averaging 21 Hitouts a game

Will go close to club best and fairest

Probably the most experienced footballer at the club

Has been consistent this year considering teams poor form

If our mediocre midfield could win the clearances and get a hardball and our team was winning you would be calling him a champion. Still one of the best ruckmen going round

What games have you been watching^^^^^^

He is ranked second in hitouts in the league

Leading the club in marks

Averaging 17 disposals a game

Averaging 21 Hitouts a game

Will go close to club best and fairest

Probably the most experienced footballer at the club

Has been consistent this year considering teams poor form

Yeah you could make an argument for or against White.

Good numbers above.

I feel he gets a little unfairly dealt with around here.

Yeah you could make an argument for or against White.

Good numbers above.

I feel he gets a little unfairly dealt with around here.

I feel he lacks the skill level to be an elite footballer. Drops to many marks over head and the change in centre bounce rules a few years back ended the superstars super.

He is now just a ruckmen.

I honestly don't think anyone deserves the captaincy at this point, but you couldn't go past the obvious choice of Mclean you can see his passion for the club and the disappointment on his face that we are struggling atm

It really sums up how our club is going when we have to struggle to nominate people worthy of the captaincy doesn't it? In recent times we would be saying so and so was unlucky to miss out on being part of the leadership group.......my how times change!

Stats don't mean much are you crazy? What do you think the coaching panel look at through the week. Take White out of our team and see how we go. He is doing his job, what else do you want from a ruckmen, he cant play three positions and expect him to kick goals because the rest of the side isn't playing well. If players are down doesn't mean he has to step up and fill what other players are failing to do. Its a team game and requires a team effort. Who would you rather play his position? No one could take over his position and do a better job, Still has two seasons in him, And still one of the best in the comp

I'd like to see a co-captaining between Neitz and McLean. Sort of an aprentiship thing, with McLean slowly taking over more of the roles. There is no doubting Neitz's pressence on the ground, but should he get another injury this way McLean is already in there as the captain.

My leadership group would be,

Co-Cap: Neitz & McLean

Co-VC: Rivers, Green

Co-VVC: Jmac, Robbo, and possibly Jones or Whelan

The way i see it, leadership is about pressence and the team seeing you lead be example. This one of the key problems we have had with Neitz be captain (not bagging him, love the bloke), he is a forward and because of that he must make decision of to either hang back and wait for the boys to bring the game to him, or leave his post as FF and move up the ground to give the team a lift. So the leadership group i've got is designed to have a "leader" is every poket of the ground, and to have McLean as the general who can move everywhere.

I'd like to see a co-captaining between Neitz and McLean. Sort of an aprentiship thing, with McLean slowly taking over more of the roles. There is no doubting Neitz's pressence on the ground, but should he get another injury this way McLean is already in there as the captain.

My leadership group would be,

Co-Cap: Neitz & McLean

Co-VC: Rivers, Green

Co-VVC: Jmac, Robbo, and possibly Jones or Whelan

The way i see it, leadership is about pressence and the team seeing you lead be example. This one of the key problems we have had with Neitz be captain (not bagging him, love the bloke), he is a forward and because of that he must make decision of to either hang back and wait for the boys to bring the game to him, or leave his post as FF and move up the ground to give the team a lift. So the leadership group i've got is designed to have a "leader" is every poket of the ground, and to have McLean as the general who can move everywhere.

I like it alot :rolleyes:

Stats don't mean much are you crazy? What do you think the coaching panel look at through the week. Take White out of our team and see how we go. He is doing his job, what else do you want from a ruckmen, he cant play three positions and expect him to kick goals because the rest of the side isn't playing well. If players are down doesn't mean he has to step up and fill what other players are failing to do. Its a team game and requires a team effort. Who would you rather play his position? No one could take over his position and do a better job, Still has two seasons in him, And still one of the best in the comp

The coaching panel look at if the player did the specific job. STATS MEAN ZERO.

If they did Godfrey would be driving the team bus.

Bottom line is, look at whites' kicks, they are cheap kicks behind play when someone has kicked backwards.

Joel Bowden got 18 marks once, easy to get alot of the footy when you have no man and are running behind play to get easy kicks.

And by doing that your not accountable.

Saw Everitt have to many marks up forward without a man. Even Dwayne Russel said at one point "well how does this happen, Everitt hasn't had a player all day"

Look at all the other clubs Captains, Is McClean even in this calibre. You put your most experienced player Captain and someone who will gain respect from all people at the club. Just because Brock is an up and coming star doesn't warrant him a Captaincy. How many people here have been a Captain while playing football tell me why you were chosen

I was captain because my team mates voted me in.

Reasons were,

1. On-field hardness, leading by example, not rah-rah.

2. Loyalty to the club after deciding not to leave for another.

I also captained

Was given to me because I was a consistant performer and could motivate team mates

Also probably because I played a key position

I Captained as chosen by the coach, Not because i was the best player,

I was a Key Position Player

Trained hard, Set an example, was not easily destracted

Could Relate to all players

Got the job done

Dedicated and determined

Had a voice at training and on the ground

My apologies - I should have said stats on there own don't mean much - you need to see if they were effective or not. I personally don't think he goes in as hard as he used to around the ground anymore. Then again, when we are playing such a shocking brand of football, it is difficult for anyone to stand up and look good.

Also, I am not sure where you got the idea that I am wanting hime to play 3 positions and kick goals - i never said or implied that at all.

A lot of our players are having a shocking season, sure we can blame the injuries but then the loss of confidence and not getting the wins on the board tends to spiral and everything starts going downhill. I am concerned that so many of our young players are playing alongside this mindset, we desperately need to turn things around next season!

Whilst people in the media are saying we now need to enter a rebuilding phase, I disagree. I honestly believe we can bounce back - we were picked by all and sundry to make top 4 this year - if we didn't loose Neitzy, Robbo, Brock, Bartram and others so early in the season and had won some of those really close games, things would be different now. If we can have a good run with injuries and get some wins on the board early next year, the confidence will be back and we will give it a good shake.

Anyone else agree or do you think we really do need to rebuild? Am I being overly optimistic????

My apologies - I should have said stats on there own don't mean much - you need to see if they were effective or not. I personally don't think he goes in as hard as he used to around the ground anymore. Then again, when we are playing such a shocking brand of football, it is difficult for anyone to stand up and look good.

Also, I am not sure where you got the idea that I am wanting hime to play 3 positions and kick goals - i never said or implied that at all.

A lot of our players are having a shocking season, sure we can blame the injuries but then the loss of confidence and not getting the wins on the board tends to spiral and everything starts going downhill. I am concerned that so many of our young players are playing alongside this mindset, we desperately need to turn things around next season!

Whilst people in the media are saying we now need to enter a rebuilding phase, I disagree. I honestly believe we can bounce back - we were picked by all and sundry to make top 4 this year - if we didn't loose Neitzy, Robbo, Brock, Bartram and others so early in the season and had won some of those really close games, things would be different now. If we can have a good run with injuries and get some wins on the board early next year, the confidence will be back and we will give it a good shake.

Anyone else agree or do you think we really do need to rebuild? Am I being overly optimistic????

I don't think we need to rebuild, just a bit of tuning and get our attitude right

I don't know if this irrevelant but Troy Broadbridges death got some passion and dedication into our playing team and now is it fading away