Barry Prendergast

jnrmac

Now I wonder if the facts point to its how you are selecting your WHOLE list that counts!!!

"I am saying that the most talented players are found at the pointy end of the draft and that it is effing important for a recruiter to get them right"

Lets also look at two players vital to their performance Brown & Jolly - both recruited by Collingwood at the "pointy end" of the draft where they? Trade table my friend - trade table.

I'm saying you can find quality players anywhere in the draft system if you are spending the money to develop YOUR WHOLE list. (massive difference)

Now lets see what Jimmy asked for - "Melbourne president Jim Stynes raised the issue during the week when he suggested a minimum expenditure level be introduced to allow his club to catch up to powerhouses such as Collingwood."

But if your argument is correct why did Jimmy not ask for more picks at the pointy end of the draft? Thats where the most talented players are!!!! (according to you)

But wait what did he ask for? A cap on spending! Why because that effects their WHOLE list.

Now lets look what the AFL actually did - they removed the priority pick system. why? This does not support your argument again.

Instead they started to offer the lesser clubs more money to develop their WHOLE list.

Your posting style reminds me of the guy in the insurance ad - "what if Martians come down and steal my car, am I covered then ?". "Ahhh, see"

• Like 1

Guest Dr Who

First time I've opened this thread and had a quick skim. Why did I bother ?

Btw, Bartel was a top 10 pick, Chuckles.

But you were arguing "top 5 picks are gold" YOUR words not mine - chuckles cant you count?

But you were arguing "top 5 picks are gold" YOUR words not mine - chuckles cant you count?

So pick 8 is in your definition a "late" pick???

Shifting the goal posts now to say the argument was top 5

You've named a bunch of late picks and rookies and then plonked a pick 8 in there

Edited by Viney12

Guest Dr Who
Your posting style reminds me of the guy in the insurance ad - "what if Martians come down and steal my car, am I covered then ?". "Ahhh, see"

Good one - your posting style re-minds me of what we refer to as Internet forum "chooks" - How is the guy you love to "bag" going these days.

His record that is plain for all to see gets him a gig at Carlton - but you are here sprouting crap continually.

Oh but thats right you know more than the Carlton football club too - I dont think so.

Guest Dr Who

So pick 8 is in your definition a "late" pick???

Shifting the goal posts now to say the argument was top 5

You've named a bunch of late picks and rookies and then plonked a pick 8 in there

None of them where top 5? I think I've been very consistent - I was going to throw in Selwood as well.

& I will repeat early draft picks are gold in the right clubs - but if you & Ben-h actually read what I said you would know that.

Think I also said modern day drafting says if you are spending the money - you can pick up quality in the WHOLE drafting process - kinda sad I've got to continually repeat myself for you.

- but keep digging!!!

Edited by Dr Who

None of them where top 5? I think I've been very consistent - I was going to throw in Selwood.

& I will repeat early draft picks are gold in the right clubs - but if you actually read what I said you would know that.

Think I also said modern day drafting says if you are spending the money - you can pick up quality in the WHOLE drafting process - kinda sad I've got to continually repeat myself for you.

- but keep digging!!!

Continually repeat yourself for me?

My first post to you

I'm not disagreeing with your sentimen,t in fact to some extent I agree with you - just saying, you stuffed up putting Bartel in the list, implying he was a "late pick"

Clearly you're too arrogant to even admit that mistake though

How is the guy you love to "bag" going these days.

His record that is plain for all to see gets him a gig at Carlton - but you are here sprouting crap continually.

Oh but thats right you know more than the Carlton football club too - I dont think so.

As you're border-line unhinged I need to tread carefully...

Do you mean Prendergast ? If so, I've never "bagged" him. Quotes please. If not, you're crazier than I think.

None of them where top 5? I think I've been very consistent - I was going to throw in Selwood as well.

& I will repeat early draft picks are gold in the right clubs - but if you & Ben-h actually read what I said you would know that.

- but keep digging!!!

Ever thought that if you made any sense you wouldn't have to?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Guest Dr Who

It's not the recruiters faults per se, well not BP's anyway.

Well Carlton would definitely agree with you - but some around here just dont get it.

Wonder if its possible the people at Carlton know more about modern day drafting trends than the posters at Demonland - nah thats right I'm an idiot and dont know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for suggesting it. Carry on some "guys" its hilarious!

Guest Dr Who

Continually repeat yourself for me?

My first post to you

I'm not disagreeing with your sentimen,t in fact to some extent I agree with you - just saying, you stuffed up putting Bartel in the list, implying he was a "late pick"

Clearly you're too arrogant to even admit that mistake though

Ok sorry I was making the point - in modern day AFL you can get quality in the whole process I could have splashed 100 names.

I apologise to you. I was hitting up others - waiting for them to pounce. Thats why I quoted a cross-section.

I am sorry to you. I was not intending to be "arrogant" to you.

Edited by Dr Who

Ok sorry I was making the point - in modern day AFL you can get quality in the whole process I could have splashed 100 names.

I apologise to you. I was hitting up rpfc who actually agrees that Ben-Hur was talking rubbish - just too early to make calls.

So now you're talking for other posters. I haven't read where he said that, but being lumped into an argument with you could cloud the judgment of many sane persons. That said, quotes please ?

Btw, I hope you're finding those quotes of where I've "bagged" Prendergast, or whoever it was suppose to be.

Hangon, didn't you say that Scully was a certainty to go to Richmond last year ? Credibility issues left, right and centre.

Guest Dr Who

As you're border-line unhinged I need to tread carefully...

Do you mean Prendergast ? If so, I've never "bagged" him. Quotes please. If not, you're crazier than I think.

You bag his picks - thats bagging him. Its you who is border-line unhinged. You supported what Dennis said - remember that name - did you read the thread?

But I will let take your words of advice - you clearly have no comprehension of modern day drafting - I can live with that.

Guest Dr Who
Another thread carpetbombed out of existence...

Is that because some challenge your opinions? Is the MFC an easy target if people dont fight back?

Ben-hur can have his opinions - re over valuing early draft picks or we should have taken x over y big mistake. You can disagree and say it too early, & pot our senior players.

I on the other hand merely point out - there are other BIGGER factors in play. Bigger factors that the Carlton football club can recognise but MFC "supporters" cant. Dont you of all people not question that?

Call it "carpet bagging" but there are so many targets and prophets of doom - why would any other method be effective.

You bag his picks - thats bagging him. Its you who is border-line unhinged. You supported what Dennis said - remember that name - did you read the thread?

But I will let take your words of advice - you clearly have no comprehension of modern day drafting - I can live with that.

Your cognitive ability is diabolical and there's more than a tinge of deception in your posts.

Saying that you think a pick in hindsight is a mistake is not bagging the recruiter. Stephen Wells is the best recruiter going around, but he's got plenty wrong.

A few answers I'd like ...

1. What junior footy have you watched ?

2. Did you say that Scully would be going to Richmond last year ?

3. Quote where I've bagged Prendergast, because querying a pick isn't "bagging".

4. And finally, from another thread, who at a footy club determines what dollars are spent with regards to development and where it's spent ? In other words, who is in charge of the development spend ?

Keenly seeking your replies.

So should we shut the doors and retire to the Amos?

Who's given/ing up.

Were just beginning, but I want to ensure we start to change the Clubs Off field cultures.

The ones which hamper our kids growth, the ones which get our kids ahead of themselves, the ones which turn them out as choirboys, the ones which keep us all in a perpetual motion of soft & flashy football without substance or grit.

This is what I Don't want brushed yet again under the Long Room Rug.

Otherwise we'll just continue going round in circles until we eventually fold.

Guest Dr Who

Keenly seeking your replies.

Dont know if you will like this reply. But I dont want to be accused of "carpet bagging" another thread - as funny/strange as it may sound I respect that opinion - plus you and me are "cross-thread" chatting.

Happy to take it up in the Dennis Cometti thread - probably only you & me are ever likely to read that again. (hehehehe)

Cheers

nah, just a troll who gets his rocks off by annoying others and exercising his ego......er...that sounds like mark stevens....hmmm

btw he is hinting that BP's role is really FA ......big deal

BP's new role is FA alright and I don't mean football admin :huh:

Let's posit two scenarios for the readers' benefit shall we? ...

Off the back of one of the worst seasons in the club's history, Mark Neeld walks into the MFC on the advice from multi-premiership winning coach mentor that he's taking on a factionalized basket-case of a football club. Like everyone except blind-Freddie Dean Bailey and his recruiting staff, he is acutely aware that Melbourne plays a pretty, attacking brand of footy that goes to water against battle hardened, well drilled sides. Has done for decades, in fact. First task then? Aside from bringing Dave Misson in to actually train the players the way they are supposed to train, he radically and unilaterally changes the club's recruiting policy to bring in ready made types in Clark, Sellar and Magner, a strongly built kid in Taggart and another red-hot-go type in Tynan. Prendergast, who probably saw the writing on the wall the evening after 186, starts to correctly wonder about his future around the place and this is reflected in the club website interview with Burgan where he openly talks about the divergent opinions about recruiting in the inner sanctum. Somewhere along the line, possibly even before the draft, BP gets the tap on the shoulder. "Your done, fella ... but to save face all round, we'll give you time to put out feelers for another job." BP does just that and, finally landing an "opposition analyst" gig at Carlton, which let's face it is really just a glorified number-cruncher, Jay Clark or whoever it was at the Hun is then contacted and fed the big "scoop" of Prenders "defection" to Carlton to pursue a "coaching career". He saves face and the MFC (and particularly Schwab) saves face at not having to announce the sacking of its recruiting chief. Everyone's happy.

It's that ..... or Dr Who/HangO007's (good get whoever clued onto that) laughable meme that the man who helped transformed Melbourne's list into poop is somehow a misunderstood genius and was fortuitously "head hunted" by Carlton for a "PIVOTAL" role so secret and important that they won't even publish his name as a member of their football department on their website! Lol.

Yeah ... if only we had more $$$$$$$$$ and 'buy-in' from the supporters, Jamie Bennell would start willing himself on the contest and Lucas Cook would turn into the incredible hulk :wacko:

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 2

Dont know if you will like this reply. But I dont want to be accused of "carpet bagging" another thread - as funny/strange as it may sound I respect that opinion - plus you and me are "cross-thread" chatting.

Happy to take it up in the Dennis Cometti thread - probably only you & me are ever likely to read that again. (hehehehe)

Cheers

Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you Dr Who/HangO007 because you're an easy target, but mistyping "carpet-bagging" instead of "carpet-bombing" was a hilarious unintentional error.

Carpet-bagger .... 'one who is somewhere they don't belong". A perfect description for you in this thread.

Edited by Range Rover

Guest Dr Who

BP's new role is FA alright and I don't mean football admin :huh:

Let's posit two scenarios for the reader's benefit shall we ...

Off the back of one of the worst seasons in the club's history, Mark Neeld walks into the MFC on the advice from multi-premiership winning coach mentor that he's taking on a factionalized basket-case of a football club. Like everyone except blind-Freddie Dean Bailey and his recruiting staff, he is acutely aware that Melbourne plays a pretty, attacking brand of footy that goes to water against battle hardened, well drilled sides. Has done for decades, in fact. First task then? Aside from bringing Dave Misson in to actually train the players the way they are supposed to train, he radically and unilaterally changes the club's recruiting policy to bring in ready made types in Sellar and Magner, a strongly built kid in Taggart and another red-hot-go type in Tynan. Prendergast, who probably saw the writing on the wall the evening after 186, starts to correctly wonder about his future around the place and this is reflected in the club website interview with Burgan where he openly talks about the divergent opinions about recruiting in he inner sanctum. Somewhere along the line, possibly even before the draft, BP gets the tap on the shoulder. "Your done, fella ... but to save face all round, we'll give you time to put out feelers for another job." BP does just that and, finally landing an "opposition analyst" gig at Carlton, which let's face it is really just a glorified number-cruncher, Jay Clark or whoever it was at the HUN is then contacted and given the big "scoop" of Prenders "defection" to Carlton to pursue a "coaching career". He saves face and the MFC (and particularly Schwab) saves face at not having to announce the sacking of its recruiting chief. Everyone's happy.

It's that ..... or Dr Who/HangO007's (good get whoever clued onto that) laughable meme that the man who helped transformed Melbourne's list into poop is somehow a mistaken genius and was fortuitously "head hunted" by Carlton for a "PIVOTAL" role so secret and important that they won't even publish his name on their website. Lol.

Yeah ... if only we had more $$$$$$$$$ and buy-in from the supporters, Jamie Bennell would grow the heart of a lion and Lucas Cook would turn into the incredible hulk :wacko:

hahahaha - loved the bit about publishing his name on their website - LMAO - want it on facebook & twitter too.

try this - http://www.heraldsun...f-1226244554306

You are so good at English - What does the word quit mean? What does the word poached mean? Read AMac comments

Cant remember the last time someone referred to our list as "talent laden" - well not around here.

What does an "opposition analyst" actually do in AFL football circa 2012?

Would you remind me how you obtain players in the recruiting process circa 2012 ( Hint trade, for picks or players, or recruit 18 YO - free agency)

Yip I will be happy to stand by my contention - the job is pivotal circa 2012.

a/ he is going to gain an intimate knowledge of the Carlton list - he is coaching them on opposition weakness & strengths

b/ he is going to gain an intimate knowledge on every teams list in the AFL - Carlton do play everyone once dont they?

c/ he has a recruiting background - has an intimate knowledge on every under 18 kid in the system

WHERE DO WE SIGN THIS BLOKE?

But go ahead - believe Range Rover Demonland guru - I dont care.

Edited by Dr Who