Schwab declines CEO role and other things

warren dean

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheahan has said that whispers were around for the previous 3 weeks and it was all the talk at the Geelong v WB game at SS that he attended the previous Saturday 19 July. My betting would be Demetriou/Ian Anderson whom no doubt the naive Stynes took into his "confidence".

So let's issue the writs. Nay, better still let the Irish brigand be hanged, drawn and quartered. Keel haul the man!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is all moot.

Let's just get on with it eh!!! Go Dees

Wrong. The public statements when McNamee was sacked and the offer of the job to Schwab could be perceived as a case of patronage. Whether the other party accepts or not is neither here nor there.

Stynes public comments about candidates has made the CEO recruitment less than open than it should be.

Technically yes but wrong because Stynes' public comments about candidates have been completely misrepresented by his detractors. This is what Jimmy really said:

"Well, right now we're in the marketplace for a new CEO and we will be putting it out there to anyone who is interested in the position," he said.

"I would hope that people like Cameron Schwab and Stuart Fox would be interested in this position and would apply for it.

"I'm very confident that we'll attract someone that can do the job." - Stynes wants Schwab, Fox in mix http://melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/defau...px?newsid=63987

In other words, he wasn't offering the job only to his so-called "mate" Schwab but issuing an invitation to all quality candidates out there in the marketplace which is exactly what we would expect in the circumstances.

And your post has all the hallmarks of a starstruck leg humping sycophant, MATE.

It's far, far better to be described as a "starstruck leg humping sycophant" than to constantly snipe at a newly installed administration that appears to have been left with a substantial amount of poo to clean up; poo that's considerable and deep thanks to several years of "mates" like Szondy, Ellis and Harris that just happened to leave us in the red to the tune of $5m and beholden to the AFL for every decision that needs to be made (even the appointment of the tea lady).

Well, just in case you've been under a rock for the past month, the new board has already raised about half that figure in two months. That's an effort worth leg humping for any time of the day even if we have a long way to go to clear the decks.

And as for your post, it's long on asides, irrelevancies and speculation but fails to address the point I made but then you're so obsessed with bringing Jimmy and his board down you don't care what damage you inflict on our club along the way.

Let's not freak out about the appointment of a CEO. The decision is of immense importance and Jimmy shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to make an appointment. After all, we don't want someone appointed who ends up leaving unpaid tax bills in the bottom of his drawer like your mates MATE. That's what I call "Amateur hour."

1999-2003: aggregate losses of $8.52 million, then with the help of a new board, 4 years of profit followed by ~ 2M loss mostly on the back of a 1.5M increase in football operations spending and two terrible years on-field (helped along by the thoughtless sacking of P.Mac I'm sure). Cue an ex-ruckman with a dreamy Irish accent and all is forgotten however.

The misguided vehemence of your last post is ample evidence that you are such an incorrigible Stynes Fan Boi that you could not even entertain the notion that he might be mortal like the rest of us despite the increasing amounts of evidence. Interesting that Jim not only paid to get rid of P.Mac but couldn't even find a place for Phillips who would have worked for free.

The only "obsession" here is your own and I'll remember it the next time I read one of your posts.

1999-2003: aggregate losses of $8.52 million, then with the help of a new board, 4 years of profit followed by ~ 2M loss mostly on the back of a 1.5M increase in football operations spending and two terrible years on-field (helped along by the thoughtless sacking of P.Mac I'm sure). Cue an ex-ruckman with a dreamy Irish accent and all is forgotten however.

The misguided vehemence of your last post is ample evidence that you are such an incorrigible Stynes Fan Boi that you could not even entertain the notion that he might be mortal like the rest of us despite the increasing amounts of evidence. Interesting that Jim not only paid to get rid of P.Mac but couldn't even find a place for Phillips who would have worked for free.

The only "obsession" here is your own and I'll remember it the next time I read one of your posts.

You're very selective with your dates, times and facts Boi. Let's not forget that the "new" board at the end of 2003 was an extension of the Szondy board of 2001-3 and the 4 subsequent years of profit (the last of these was well below budget and thanks to the accounting methods adopted only just in the black) were achieved only because it was being propped up by the AFL to the tune of $1m - $1.5m annually. Had the club had access to that sort of largesse from the AFL in the 5 years 1999-2003 we would have been sitting on a handsome surplus now instead of wallowing in $5million in debt.

If vehemently supporting your club is "misguided" or obsessive that's fine by me. Fact is we need to start supporting our current well credentialled board and give it a fair go. You and your anti-Stynes cronies are content to bag them and conveniently chose to ignore what they've achieved to date i.e. wiped off this year's loss in a month - but that's OK, just keep on sniping.

BTW Jimmy replaced P.Mac with P.Spargo who is doing the job for free and I believe Philips is still helping the club so what's your point?

It a very shallow defence to take just one quote when Stynes has made a number of comments in the number of print and TV outlets that the reflected his preferences for candidates. I'm sure if Stynes reflected on this matter he would more circumspect on the way he handles the media and what he says. You might want to learn about more about what patronage really is before you dismiss it.

It a very shallow defence to take just one quote when Stynes has made a number of comments in the number of print and TV outlets that the reflected his preferences for candidates. I'm sure if Stynes reflected on this matter he would more circumspect on the way he handles the media and what he says. You might want to learn about more about what patronage
On the other hand this quote is definitive and therefore all you are doing is blowing hot air.

On the other hand this quote is definitive and therefore all you are doing is blowing hot air.

No it is isn't by a long way. Its a staged press release from the Melbourne Football Club where Stynes is President.

Stynes has made other comments in other media outlets that were less than prudent and less than objective than quoted statement.

Glad you are easily impressed with hot air

No it is isn't by a long way. Its a staged press release from the Melbourne Football Club where Stynes is President.

Stynes has made other comments in other media outlets that were less than prudent and less than objective than quoted statement.

To the contrary, you don't impress me at all.

Build a bridge and get over it.

Jimmy's in the chair and doing just fine.

In fact, I suggest a bit of lateral thinking on the issue of a new CEO.

Our major focus, right now, off the field is debt reduction.

Maybe a relatively short term appointment, with the prime objective of securing our financial position, may lead to a longer term appointment of a CEO with business acument and footy smartz, when the foundations of secure business model are in place, therefore making it more attractive to a longer term candidate.

Perhaps then a short term contract to someone from left field might be the way to go and I reckon some of the new Board members might just know who could fit the bill.

Watch this space.

To the contrary, you don't impress me at all.

Your avatar and tag name really says it all. Good luck. :lol:

Jimmy's in the chair and doing just fine.

Unless you are a board member, how you can make any reasonable judgement beyond blind faith is your issue. You might want to pass your lateral idea to the Club. It may need the help.

Your avatar and tag name really says it all. Good luck. :lol:

Unless you are a board member, how you can make any reasonable judgement beyond blind faith is your issue. You might want to pass your lateral idea to the Club. It may need the help.

Ahh!!! Blind Faith---- a great band

"Come down off your throne and leave your body alone.

Somebody must change.

You are the reason I've been waiting so long.

Somebody holds the key."

I think the CV's of some of the current Board Members lend weight to that (blind) faith.

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that a certain AFL chairman is scratching his head currently wondering why no one wants to come and play footy in the office with us !!

Then again ..why does Melbourne have so many CEO's.?? To be sure , to be sure ..to be sure !!!!! :rolleyes:

You're very selective with your dates, times and facts Boi. Let's not forget that the "new" board at the end of 2003 was an extension of the Szondy board of 2001-3 and the 4 subsequent years of profit (the last of these was well below budget and thanks to the accounting methods adopted only just in the black) were achieved only because it was being propped up by the AFL to the tune of $1m - $1.5m annually. Had the club had access to that sort of largesse from the AFL in the 5 years 1999-2003 we would have been sitting on a handsome surplus now instead of wallowing in $5million in debt.

If vehemently supporting your club is "misguided" or obsessive that's fine by me. Fact is we need to start supporting our current well credentialled board and give it a fair go. You and your anti-Stynes cronies are content to bag them and conveniently chose to ignore what they've achieved to date i.e. wiped off this year's loss in a month - but that's OK, just keep on sniping.

BTW Jimmy replaced P.Mac with P.Spargo who is doing the job for free and I believe Philips is still helping the club so what's your point?

1. All clubs are reliant upon AFL funding

2. Isn't securing that funding a good thing?

3. The club would also be in the black if we were propped up by a 2M dollar tin-rattle every year, unfortunatley this kind of charity stunt is a one-shot pistol and not a sustainable plan.

4. You're not vehemently supporting your club, you're vehemently supporting your pin-up boy "President for life (and potentially unilateral dictator) Jim."

5. My point is that even though Stynes had the nerve to suggest that P. Mac needed a "mentor" such was his "inexperiernce", he himself declined the help of Phillips who knew the ins and outs of the job and was graciously prepared to try and show Jim the ropes despite being overlooked in his cloak and dagger coup. Ask yourself who was less experienced in their respective roles and then ask yourself why Jim thought it appropriate for P. Mac to have a mentor but not himself. Contrary to what you might have been told by Shirley Strachan, it is, in fact, a dirty word. Oh, and who was the man proposed for this mentor position? None other than Mr. Schwab.

Heat on McNamee as Dockers chief prepares to return home

But, as I have already noted your rabid fan-boi nature, I won't be surprised to read a response more one-eyed than a filth supporter.

Fwiw, Stynes said virtually much the same thing on SEN after PM was sacked. I haven't heard the 'other comments' that you're referring to.

So we're doomed then!!!!!!!!????

Jimmy just does not have the smartz and is a Machiavellian despot.

Give me a break.

You're right iv'a. If he wasn't such a dumb arse he would have collected the full $5 million that previous adminstrations have buried instead of only half that amount which he's done in less than a month.

NOTE: sarcasm meter high.

Fwiw, Stynes said virtually much the same thing on SEN after PM was sacked. I haven't heard the 'other comments' that you're referring to.

The comments were made on one of the commercial stations where he said in response to a direct question that he would love Schwab to apply for the job. Honest but emphatic. A comment best left behind closed doors.

The comments were made on one of the commercial stations where he said in response to a direct question that he would love Schwab to apply for the job. Honest but emphatic. A comment best left behind closed doors.

FC? Think I remember cringing at some of the comments (in that vein) in the interview.