Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Easier said than done, day two has shown us why the Saffers are number one at present as their bowlers extract more than we could from a seemingly lifeless track. Warner is our chance to push for a decent total yet he was again dropped.

I missed the cricket last night, altogether.

I've just read the posts, I was surprised to hear we're batting, & a few down already... just back on deck after an Op' on Thursday.... 112 for 4

we'll have to settle down & bat on.

.... this is just the test of Warners new-found focus, to see where he wants to take his game.

wouldn't surprise on a slow wicket, if Lyon holds his head & goes on? we have faith in our middle order security. to forge on. this will be a good test for us.

Rain forecast I think for the last day.

Going to be tough for the Aussies to save this one. Their bowlers have got more out of this deck than our blokes so their advantage is fully deserved. A draw is our best chance from here but we'll need at least a couple of our batsmen to make big scores for that to happen.

Still 311 behind with only 6 wickets in hand, we're also going to need some luck. Parnell has bowled well on debut for them. Cape Town for the decider looks odds on unless we can somehow bat out the whole day tonight.

If, for instance, we can only bat 2 sessions, we'll probably still be at least 100 runs behind on 1st innings with a full session and 2 days to go - certainly enough time for South Africa to push for victory. However, batting 2 sessions might be a stretch anyway. We'll probably need Warner, Smith and Haddin to all make decent contributions when play resumes. Perhaps Johnson as well.

ps ... both Warner and Lyon should be out. de Villiers dropped a soda off Warner and Lyon (the nightwatchman) nicked one down the leg side off Steyn which was given not out (the South Africans decided not to review it)

whichever way it goes, we need to keep the bowlers in the field working hard, & tiring them out. for the coming innings, & next test. they may get an injury

time is our friend, if we can hang-about & play our game.

Clarke'y needs to get a rattle on with his bat. its not firing over there.

Easier said than done, day two has shown us why the Saffers are number one at present as their bowlers extract more than we could from a seemingly lifeless track. Warner is our chance to push for a decent total yet he was again dropped.

Whatever advantage S Africa have had with a tamed wicket they have blown the chance to have really had their foot on our throat.

Cavalier batting and dropped catches have a given Australia a window of opportunity.

Based on recent history I would not count Australia out at all.

South Africa may rue the let offs to the Aussie and they could have easily squandered the hard work of the De Villiers genius and Duminy performance.

Well bowled Nathan Lyon.

Surprising the Saffers have put down so many easy chances, out of character in recent times.

The slow batting, Duminy in particular, may well prove to be their downfall.

Edited by gsmith12

whichever way it goes, we need to keep the bowlers in the field working hard, & tiring them out. for the coming innings, & next test. they may get an injury

time is our friend, if we can hang-about & play our game.

Clarke'y needs to get a rattle on with his bat. its not firing over there.

If we can bat a fair bit past the tea break, we're back in the game. However, the slow wicket may not suit our batsmen to come who at times, like to hit the ball on the up. A few batsmen have been caught out in front of the wicket (Clarke and de Villiers come to mind but there's been a couple of others)

Morkel seemed the most dangerous bowler for them although Parnell (the leftie) also bowled well. You're right about the weather forecast for Monday but we can't have a repeat of what happened yesterday.

The situation is tailor made for Haddin - let's hope he can get amongst them again but he'll need to be a bit more patient on this deck. Johnson might be needed to chime in with a good contribution as well. I'm expecting the Aussies to fight back hard but the South Africans definitely hold the advantage right now.

If we can bat a fair bit past the tea break, we're back in the game. However, the slow wicket may not suit our batsmen to come who at times, like to hit the ball on the up. A few batsmen have been caught out in front of the wicket (Clarke and de Villiers come to mind but there's been a couple of others)

Morkel seemed the most dangerous bowler for them although Parnell (the leftie) also bowled well. You're right about the weather forecast for Monday but we can't have a repeat of what happened yesterday.

The situation is tailor made for Haddin - let's hope he can get amongst them again but he'll need to be a bit more patient on this deck. Johnson might be needed to chime in with a good contribution as well. I'm expecting the Aussies to fight back hard but the South Africans definitely hold the advantage right now.

I can't see a result in this game, IF we can bat thru Day 3.

there is plenty of talent they're to bat thru if they apply. after Lyon & Warner, Smith has to stand up, along with Haddin, who is due.

then the bowlers need to chip in on this match with the bat, where this wicket isn't helping them with ball in their hands.

we bat thru today, I think anything is possible. 3 sessions.

* patience is whats needed today, as we need to deny them time; we have to erase the deficit mid last session.

Edited by dee-luded

177 in arrears and we are struggling, injury to Parnell will help if we can remove SA for 200 odd but with Rogers and Haddin unable to buy a run I don't like our chances chasing those numbers.

177 in arrears and we are struggling, injury to Parnell will help if we can remove SA for 200 odd but with Rogers and Haddin unable to buy a run I don't like our chances chasing those numbers.

its not looking too bright at the moment.

lets hope the bumpers have angered our bowlers into a big effort.

Gone for all money save for rain which is a big possibility on day 5.

SA have shown the Poms how to fight back, they are a very good unit and De Villiers is a gem.

• Like 1

Gone for all money save for rain which is a big possibility on day 5.

SA have shown the Poms how to fight back, they are a very good unit and De Villiers is a gem.

It all depends on the first session tomorrow. If the Australians can bowl them out pre lunch then they will have a chase of 400 to 420 or alternatively 5 sessions barring rain to bat out.

And if I am not mistaken Parnell cant bowl in the 2nd innings due to an injury.

That means they will have three front line bowlers and Duminy on a flat dead track. Ouch. Its a big ask to take 10 wickets. The bowlers will have to perform

And the longer Australia bats the more tired the bowlers get.......

Its a long shot but its not out of the question at all....

And of course there is the weather!

• Like 1

I can't see a result in this game, IF we can bat thru Day 3.

there is plenty of talent they're to bat thru if they apply. after Lyon & Warner, Smith has to stand up, along with Haddin, who is due.

then the bowlers need to chip in on this match with the bat, where this wicket isn't helping them with ball in their hands.

we bat thru today, I think anything is possible. 3 sessions.

* patience is whats needed today, as we need to deny them time; we have to erase the deficit mid last session.

Well, it didn't quite work out the way we wanted it to but ... if we play well tonight and the bad weather comes into play on day 5, we can get out of this with draw - a win is a real long shot at this stage. They're a bowler down (Parnell) and that helps.

Regardless of what we're chasing, we need a very good start when we bat again. If we can get to 1-100 or better still, 0-100, then we'll be well on our way to saving the game. If we get a start like that, then a win isn't out of the question (however, day 5's weather forecast might put paid to a win) Occupation of the crease is of paramount importance and the track is still good enough for any of the recognised batsmen to make runs on.

The best thing that could happen from South Africa's point of view is if they are bowled out with about 30-40 minutes left in the first session. Or they declare early. As it stands, unless we can bowl them out, I'd expect Smith to bat on until at least the lunch break. May be wrong on that though. Smith couldn't help but be keeping an eye on the weather that's being forecast for day 5 (they're predicting around about 50mm of rain to fall throughout the day)

We need to hang in there and win the 4th day (all 3 sessions)

Well, it didn't quite work out the way we wanted it to but ... if we play well tonight and the bad weather comes into play on day 5, we can get out of this with draw - a win is a real long shot at this stage. They're a bowler down (Parnell) and that helps.

Regardless of what we're chasing, we need a very good start when we bat again. If we can get to 1-100 or better still, 0-100, then we'll be well on our way to saving the game. If we get a start like that, then a win isn't out of the question (however, day 5's weather forecast might put paid to a win) Occupation of the crease is of paramount importance and the track is still good enough for any of the recognised batsmen to make runs on.

The best thing that could happen from South Africa's point of view is if they are bowled out with about 30-40 minutes left in the first session. Or they declare early. As it stands, unless we can bowl them out, I'd expect Smith to bat on until at least the lunch break. May be wrong on that though. Smith couldn't help but be keeping an eye on the weather that's being forecast for day 5 (they're predicting around about 50mm of rain to fall throughout the day)

We need to hang in there and win the 4th day (all 3 sessions)

Yep.

I suspect a bit of a let down this test from our mental attitude after winning the 1st test so comprehensively.

Our batting effort; & to a lesser extent our bowling has lost a bit of edge IMO.

Rogers, Clark, Haddin, all need to give more of themselves with some grit when its tough over there. take the bruises like Lyon & Siddle were prepared to do.

we have to put up more resistance when we are being seriously tested.

this game feels,,, in a mental arm wrestle sort of way, in a even position. we've handed back our short lived mental advantage to them.

Edited by dee-luded

Great minds eh Jack ?

Like ESP.

Now that SA have made what has to be seen as a reasonably sporting declaration given they're a bowler short but taking into account the possibility of rain, let's see if our batters can put their heads down and do something we rarely see from the Australians. SA did it in Adelaide when they toured here; let's see if we can return the favour.

cant see a way out of the top 4 batting woes as yet.

lyon has just been terrific in the last 12 months.

warner continues to get dropped by sub standard fielders.

when the tail dont wag ,were in all sorts of trouble as usual.

We failed badly Jack, really badly.

Harris needs a rest, in Pattinson.

In Watson out ?

wow; I went to bed, we were 1 out for 100+

too any newbies doesn't work for team composure.

rogers hits form, the others fold. disappointing.

We're failing at 3, 4, & 5. & haddin

not good enough to fold like that.

Changes for the third test dee-luded ?

I was thinking yesterday but I didn't want to say anything that may moz our chances, so I didn't mention or post the weather radar satellite maps, or mention changes, but I think experience has to come back in, & a bowler.

I was thinking the last few days that Harris looks 'off' & tired. the obvious is Pattinson; but also Watson back in to settle the early order.

The other alternative, but I can't remember if he's over there is Faulkner.

What I would do after this SA Series is look at being creative with the early order, and look at shifting Warner to 3. I don't know If Doolan can open? or maybe Watson or Marsh can go there with Rogers, & Warner 1st drop.

Now we are morphing the side since the ashes, keep Clark @ 5, because he doesn't like pace & plays spin well. as long as our early order can see off the pace attacks.

Eventually we have to get Faulkner into the side as a regular in the late middle order... once he's settled in, Watto will be close to the end. as will Clark by that time.

Australia:

David Warner

Chris Rogers

Alex Doolan Watson

Shaun Marsh

Michael Clarke ©

Steven Smith

Brad Haddin (W)

Mitchell Johnson

Peter Siddle

Ryan Harris Pattinson,,, Faulkner?

Nathan Lyon

Having Johnson & Pattinson strike bowlers in tandem, gives us the firepower to win again, with siddle lyon & watson to share the work.

Edited by dee-luded

Don't think Faulkner made the trip due to a knee injury, the other reserve quick is Bird.

well actually he (bird) makes a good foil for 2 strike bowlers, Pattinson & Johnson, but Sidds has been concentrating on line & length. I think it could work.

whats the pitch like coming up? is it a pace wicket, & will it break up & turn?

can we afford 4 quicks?

Australia: Test 2

1 David Warner

2 Chris Rogers

3 Watson Alex Doolan

4 Shaun Marsh

5 Michael Clarke ©

6 Steven Smith

7 Brad Haddin (W)

8 Mitchell Johnson

9 Peter Siddle

10 Ryan Harris Pattinson

11th man > Nathan Lyon/Bird

if Lyon misses out, Clark, Warner & Smith will all have to roll the arm over ?

From memory Cape town produces runs however Lehmann & Clark want a look see before deciding the make up of the attack so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Lyon has earned his spot for mine.

From memory Cape town produces runs however Lehmann & Clark want a look see before deciding the make up of the attack so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Lyon has earned his spot for mine.

No doubt, but Siddle shouldn't be dropped, & I think Bird won't win us the test. < these 2 are almost competing for the same spot.

but 2 strike bowlers will need more rest time, bowling in short bursts. leaving a lot of work to be done by Siddle, & who ever else can make up the numbers.

If we are to Win this series, we'll need an attack to remove their bats quick smart. 2 strike bowlers backed up by great assists. & solid gutsy batting.