Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

... Cricket Australia's Annual report 2012 (go to page 15 and 'enlarge' for the numbers)

Looks like we had quite a healthy surplus of 45 million for that 2011/12 financial year with that figure being helped out enormously from the income derived out of all the ODI's involving India in early 2012. I've heard that CA pocketed 6 million from the BCCI for every ODI that India played in Australia in early 2012. It's any wonder we have an agreement to play India every year.

Not a big fan of ODI's but they do bring in the big $$$'s for CA (Especially when we play India) Another aspect of cricket that the fans just have to accept. That money generated would help subsidise Shield cricket (which must cost millions to run) Obviously, Shield cricket is essential in helping to create a winning Test side.

Other nations are endeavouring to do the same (playing against India in ODI's) and it largely explains why India doesn't play as much Test cricket as a few other countries. They are too busy playing ODI's.

It also explains why certain countries won't take on India with regards to their refusal to use DRS. Why bite the hand that feeds you? ^_^ India rules the cricket world in a financial sense and that won't be changing in the foreseeable future. It's simple economics. India generates 80%+ of the income derived out of cricket so they get to call the shots to a large extent. Of course, the IPL with all the players involved reaping lots of $$$'s only complicates things even further.

To me, the ODI games are often meaningless but it's all about the money. (who can ever remember who wins a One-day series?)

Other nations are endeavouring to do the same (playing against India in ODI's) and it largely explains why India doesn't play as much Test cricket as a few other countries. They are too busy playing ODI's.

It also explains why certain countries won't take on India with regards to their refusal to use DRS. Why bite the hand that feeds you? ^_^ India rules the cricket world in a financial sense and that won't be changing in the foreseeable future. It's simple economics. India generates 80%+ of the income derived out of cricket so they get to call the shots to a large extent. Of course, the IPL with all the players involved reaping lots of $$$'s only complicates things even further.

To me, the ODI games are often meaningless but it's all about the money. (who can ever remember who wins a One-day series?)

There good points Macca.

Besides the odd World Cup I cant remember one meaninful ODI. They all blurr from the past. And yes it is the money.

Regardless of Test and ODI rankings, India dominates cricket and has done so for the past 15 years. In that time the seat of power of the ICC has moved London to India. I had read somewhere that India derives 75% of the Cricket world's revenue.

This has allowed the BCCI to thumb their noses at other cricket nations and the game in general.

When you look at the cricket world, it is largely divided into the traditional cricket nations like England, South Africa, Australia and the minnow New Zealand then you have India, as the proverbial elephant that dominates and financially bankrolls the countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. The West Indies are a small league collective of small impoverished or financially challenged countries. All these Indian supported countries have unstable corrupt government, poor or destroyed economies and all are in someway financially in debted to the BCCI. And all these countries have a vote at the ICC and guess what happens when there is a vote for the good of the game......

The BCCI is a corrupt and conflicted body run by privileged crooks who have continually have their snouts in the trough. They can only look at the best interests of the game from the view of what cuts them a % of the deal. Its appalling, dishonest and the integrity of the game is in question (re betting scandals).

India with its fervent love of the game could do so much for it. But on a number of levels it doesnt. In fact it does the opposite. Cricket is in a new orbit with India's influence. And its not necessarily a healthy or satisfactory journey for the game.

There good points Macca.

Besides the odd World Cup I cant remember one meaninful ODI. They all blurr from the past. And yes it is the money.

Regardless of Test and ODI rankings, India dominates cricket and has done so for the past 15 years. In that time the seat of power of the ICC has moved London to India. I had read somewhere that India derives 75% of the Cricket world's revenue.

This has allowed the BCCI to thumb their noses at other cricket nations and the game in general.

When you look at the cricket world, it is largely divided into the traditional cricket nations like England, South Africa, Australia and the minnow New Zealand then you have India, as the proverbial elephant that dominates and financially bankrolls the countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. The West Indies are a small league collective of small impoverished or financially challenged countries. All these Indian supported countries have unstable corrupt government, poor or destroyed economies and all are in someway financially in debted to the BCCI. And all these countries have a vote at the ICC and guess what happens when there is a vote for the good of the game......

The BCCI is a corrupt and conflicted body run by privileged crooks who have continually have their snouts in the trough. They can only look at the best interests of the game from the view of what cuts them a % of the deal. Its appalling, dishonest and the integrity of the game is in question (re betting scandals).

India with its fervent love of the game could do so much for it. But on a number of levels it doesnt. In fact it does the opposite. Cricket is in a new orbit with India's influence. And its not necessarily a healthy or satisfactory journey for the game.

The practical way of looking at is to possibly make the best of a bad situation. Maybe that's what CA decided to do a few years ago. In other words, they could see what the future had in store and got in for their chop. Why else would we play 7 ODI's against India every year?

In 2011 we ended up playing a 2 Test series against South Africa in South Africa because of our commitments in India (mixed in with the t20 Champions League) Ordinarily, in October this year, we might have played a couple of Tests against one of the smaller Test Nations as a lead in to this years home Ashes series. However, the money on offer from when we play India is hard to resist.

The caveat might also be that we may not be able to send a team to India with our 2nd string quicks. The money from the BCCI may well be conditional. In a perfect world none of Harris, Siddle, Starc, Pattinson and Bird (if fit) would be part of that One-day squad. It's not an ideal warm up for the Ashes but if any of them are in India for those ODI's, that might tell a story.

The truth is that Australia and England are keeping Test cricket at the forefront. In the future I can see both home and away Ashes series' being played over 3 years instead of 4 years. As it is, we're back in England in 2015.

The general public in India still love their Test cricket but they're being pushed away from it. Pricing has gone through the roof from what I've heard and quite often a 5 day pass needs to be purchased. Easier to watch it on the tele (where the viewing numbers are obviously still huge) The BCCI are not making it easy for themselves to get good crowds at the Test matches but with all their other huge revenue streams, they simply don't need those big crowds. Much more money to be made elsewhere.

There are no obvious or easy answers to the whole situation.

On a brighter note we may see a bit of cricket tonight. The sun is doing it's best to get out (apparently)

The general public in India still love their Test cricket but they're being pushed away from it. Pricing has gone through the roof from what I've heard and quite often a 5 day pass needs to be purchased. Easier to watch it on the tele (where the viewing numbers are obviously still huge) The BCCI are not making it easy for themselves to get good crowds at the Test matches but with all their other huge revenue streams, they simply don't need those big crowds. Much more money to be made elsewhere.

The general public still love their Test cricket in India but there voting with their feet and expressing their love for the shorter forms of the game. This is the same throughout Southern Asia. Its great TV fodder for the burgeoning middleclass there India and the book making business is going gangbusters. The BCCI and their executives are making huge profits from the sale of rights to the IPL and shorter form competitions.

In fact lack of public interest and poor scheduling has meant attendances at Indian Tests are patchy. I seem to recall the previous (not the latest) tour of India, Jim Maxwell commented that at one venue that crowds had swelled on the 2nd day of a Test due to the influx of local school children who had been given free tickets to attend. You could hear them as a group in the effects mike. Its a great gesture to the kids but gives you an idea on the status of Test cricket there.

The general public still love their Test cricket in India but there voting with their feet and expressing their love for the shorter forms of the game. This is the same throughout Southern Asia. Its great TV fodder for the burgeoning middleclass there India and the book making business is going gangbusters. The BCCI and their executives are making huge profits from the sale of rights to the IPL and shorter form competitions.

In fact lack of public interest and poor scheduling has meant attendances at Indian Tests are patchy. I seem to recall the previous (not the latest) tour of India, Jim Maxwell commented that at one venue that crowds had swelled on the 2nd day of a Test due to the influx of local school children who had been given free tickets to attend. You could hear them as a group in the effects mike. Its a great gesture to the kids but gives you an idea on the status of Test cricket there.

I'd say the reality is that in a country of 1.3 billion people, there is a truckload more money to be made out of TV rights rather than gate receipts. The BCCI don't have to spend a penny this way. The TV companies have to provide all the infrastructure, cameras, commentators etc etc whilst all the BCCI have to do is cash the cheques.

The facilities and seating at most of the grounds in India isn't always the best. Not sure the BCCI make much of an effort to get people to the Tests (that 5 day pass is a good example of effectively pushing people away)

Outside of Australia and England, Test cricket crowds have been on the wane for quite some time. Once again, there are no easy solutions to the problem.

Seems Rupert is involved with the BCCI by the looks of it ... Star TV bags rights for Indian cricket

Another interesting partner is ESPN. A few years ago they paid 1 billion dollars for the rights to the t20 Champions League (for 10 years) Some big players getting involved.

Edited by Macca

Well done Faulkner on getting the player of the series Ian Bell as your first wicket. Definitely something to tell the Grandkids.

And another catch to Brad Haddin.

And based on what the GEM TV coverage advised this is Haddin's 27th dismissal for the series. He is one short of Ian Healy's Ashes UK Test Series record but Healy had six tests in that series and quite possibly McGrath and Warne.

The record by any Ashes keeper is held by Rod Marsh in an Ashes series (c Marsh b Lillee...) where he took 29 catches. Haddin is two off.

His record per Test is

2+4

5+1

5+2*

2+4

2 and still going!!

* Rain stopped play but he had been involved in 2 out of 3 wickets up to then.

Its amazing people wanted Haddin out for Brisbane..

Lunch Day 5

Australia 9/492

S. Watson 176

S. Smith 138*

R. Harris 33

J. Anderson 4/95 (29.5)

G. Swann 2/95 (33)

C. Woakes 1/96 (24)

England 7/350

J. Root 68

K. Pietersen 50

I. Bell 45

M. Starc 3/92 (33)

R. Harris 2/64 (28)

J. Faulkner 1/40 (16)

Declare you mugs!

77 overs left in the day. I'm still hoping my vision of this match comes true and England declare after 3 more overs after lunch. We then bat a 20 over innings and set England a target to win off 50 overs?

Well done Faulkner on getting the player of the series Ian Bell as your first wicket. Definitely something to tell the Grandkids.

And another catch to Brad Haddin.

And based on what the GEM TV coverage advised this is Haddin's 27th dismissal for the series. He is one short of Ian Healy's Ashes UK Test Series record but Healy had six tests in that series and quite possibly McGrath and Warne.

The record by any Ashes keeper is held by Rod Marsh in an Ashes series (c Marsh b Lillee...) where he took 29 catches. Haddin is two off.

His record per Test is

2+4

5+1

5+2*

2+4

2 and still going!!

* Rain stopped play but he had been involved in 2 out of 3 wickets up to then.

Its amazing people wanted Haddin out for Brisbane..

Hadn't realised he'd been that good with the gloves.

Safe as houses for the GABBA.

77 overs left in the day. I'm still hoping my vision of this match comes true and England declare after 3 more overs after lunch. We then bat a 20 over innings and set England a target to win off 50 overs?

I think the best we can hope for is a quick-fire innings from Dave Warner. Like to see him tee off and maybe get a ton. They'll probably call it off about an hour or so before stumps (what is the rule in that situation?)

Haddin has been terrific and his foot movement has been very good. He's taken a number of very good catches down the leg side. With the ability that Siddle, Starc and Pattinson have with the bat, Haddin can bind it all together at no.7. Harris can smack a few as well!

We really need Brad's experience in the home series. Wade or Paine will get their chance in time.

And back onto the topic of team selection for the GABBA I found an interesting comment in this article from Malcom Conn:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/while-there-have-been-good-signs-australia-have-fallen-short-when-it-mattered-writes-malcolm-conn/story-fni2usfi-1226703539707

'There will be changes for the summer. Keep an eye on Adam Voges.'

You wouldn't have thought Conn would just name Voges willy nilly. Could we see him at 5 and Smith at 6 which I think suits Smith better for the GABBA?

Wouldn't be totally against Voges. Also bowls some handy part time left arm spin.

And since saying that he's dropped an absolute sitter!

And I'm also disapointed to see England haven't declared yet. Will need to take these next 2 wickets quick as this time will have to come out of our 20 overs...

And since saying that he's dropped an absolute sitter!

And I'm also disapointed to see England haven't declared yet. Will need to take these next 2 wickets quick as this time will have to come out of our 20 overs...

It's the cricket thread curse. It rivals the Norm Smith curse!

• Like 1

Change of innings.

Australia 9/492 dec

S. Watson 176

S. Smith 138*

R. Harris 33

J. Anderson 4/95 (29.5)

G. Swann 2/95 (33)

C. Woakes 1/96 (24)

England 377

J. Root 68

K. Pietersen 50

M. Prior 47

J. Faulkner 4/51 (19.4)

M. Starc 3/92 (33)

R. Harris 2/64 (28)

115 in front and by dismissing England for 377 we ensure England haven't made 400 in an innings for the whole series while we've done it twice!

Now for the Aussies to go out there and bat for 15 overs, declare and set England a target off 50 overs.

If Warner and Watson tee off and we go at 8 runs an over T20 style and make 120 off the 15 overs, that would set England 236 off 50 overs. Game on and they'll be given plenty if they don't even attempt the chase.

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 1

4-51 for James Faulkner. He bowled ok but his biggest asset seems to be his ability to make a few things happen. Not a bad debut and although he's behind our top 4 or 5 quicks, he does offer an alternative.

At his pace he needs a few tricks but well done to the bloke all the same. Bowled a few out of the back of his hand as well. Confident sort of character.

4-51 for James Faulkner. He bowled ok but his biggest asset seems to be his ability to make a few things happen. Not a bad debut and although he's behind our top 4 or 5 quicks, he does offer an alternative.

At his pace he needs a few tricks but well done to the bloke all the same. Bowled a few out of the back of his hand as well. Confident sort of character.

Spot on about Faulkner's game. He's certainly one to watch for the future and with our injury concerns with our quicks he's a handy player to have available.

I don't expect to see him at the GABBA but time will tell I guess.

Spot on about Faulkner's game. He's certainly one to watch for the future and with our injury concerns with our quicks he's a handy player to have available.

I don't expect to see him at the GABBA but time will tell I guess.

Watson opens up and Haddin is padded up and may go in next. Looks like you may have read it right, TD!

Not sure England will take up the challenge which makes a declaration a lot easier.

Could be an interesting finish.

You're right Macca, and we have a game on our hands, Faulkner in at 3!

Reckon Clarke will play it as it comes a bit. We'll probably bat for a minimum of 15, maximum of 25 overs. Which will give us anywhere from 40-50 overs to bowl at them. Obviously the more overs we have the better chance we have of taking 10 wickets, but we'll need to make sure we set them a reasonable run rate chase and don;t just hand them a victory. We'll probably be looking for a run rate chase of min 4.5 runs an over to 5.5 runs an over, so it will be dictated by the rate we can score at.

The question will be how will England respond. Knowing Cook they'll shut up shop to begin with which is poor IMO. I mean Warner and Watson hot a few boundaries and after 7 overs he had men back on the ropes on either side. So, so negative!

Edited by Tall Defence

You're right Macca, and we have a game on our hands, Faulkner in at 3!

Reckon Clarke will play it as it comes a bit. We'll probably bat for a minimum of 15, maximum of 25 overs. Which will give us anywhere from 40-50 overs to bowl at them. Obviously the more overs we have the better chance we have of taking 10 wickets, but we'll need to make sure we set them a reasonable run rate chase and don;t just hand them a victory. We'll probably be looking for a run rate chase of min 4.5 runs an over to 5.5 runs an over, so it will be dictated by the rate we can score at.

The question will be how will England respond. Knowing Cook they'll shut up shop to begin with which is poor IMO. I mean Warner and Watson hot a few boundaries and after 7 overs he had men back on the ropes on either side. So, so negative!

Once again, they're making it hard for our batsmen. They do seem to have a gear that they switch into and Cook has to take credit for that. I reckon he's quite a good captain and it could be assumed that he is highly respected by his players.

In the key moments in this series, he's been well on top of things. Perhaps he's a bit of a throwback but his team is very hard to beat all the same. Every win we might get against England in Australia will be hard fought. They're a good team that are well led.

My tip is that Clarke will set them about 225 to get in about 44 overs (if we can get that far ahead!)

Currently lead by 204 with 47 overs remaining.

Tea on Day 5

Australia 1st Innings 9/492 dec

S. Watson 176

S. Smith 138*

J. Anderson 4/95 (29.5)

G. Swann 2/95 (33)

England 1st Innings 377

J. Root 68

K. Pietersen 50

J. Faulkner 4/51 (19.4)

M. Starc 3/92 (33)

Australia 2nd Innings 6/111 (In 23 overs!)

M. Clarke 28*

S. Watson 26

S. Braod 4/43 (10)

J. Anderson 1/27 (6)

Good on Clarke and Australia for pushing for a result. Lead is now 226 and if they declare over tea England will need 227 off 42 overs at just under 5.5 runs an over. Reckon we could see this happen. Poor form of Cook again not bowling Kerrigan. With the Aussies giving their wickets away chasing quick runs there was the perfect chance for the guy to get his first test wicket and some confidence. That's Cook's captaincy for you!

Once again, they're making it hard for our batsmen. They do seem to have a gear that they switch into and Cook has to take credit for that. I reckon he's quite a good captain and it could be assumed that he is highly respected by his players.

In the key moments in this series, he's been well on top of things. Perhaps he's a bit of a throwback but his team is very hard to beat all the same. Every win we might get against England in Australia will be hard fought. They're a good team that are well led.

My tip is that Clarke will set them about 225 to get in about 44 overs (if we can get that far ahead!)

Currently lead by 204 with 47 overs remaining.

I don't necessarily think he's a poor captain. But I think he's very conservative and if they're to get to number 1 in the world for an extended period they need more attacking flair and be able to take more risks.

I can't see them beating South Africa playing the cricket they play. And funnily enough I see more scope for improvement in our XI playing Clarke's brand of cricket compared to Englands XI and Cook's brand.

And news from cricinfo is that we have declared and England need 227 to win. Also because we did it over the tea break we don't loose 2 overs for switch over so England need 227 off 44 overs.

I don't necessarily think he's a poor captain. But I think he's very conservative and if they're to get to number 1 in the world for an extended period they need more attacking flair and be able to take more risks.

I can't see them beating South Africa playing the cricket they play. And funnily enough I see more scope for improvement in our XI playing Clarke's brand of cricket compared to Englands XI and Cook's brand.

Not sure England could catch South Africa regardless ... and they don't play them again until they go to South Arica in late 2015/16. South Africa would have to fall away a bit before that and with their line-up, that's hard to see. ... Test Rankings and Predictor

Looks like England might be taking up the challenge. Hope we've got enough - don't fancy another 4 nil scoreline!

Whatever the result of this match (most likely a draw) despite the loss of a full day's play, even though the series will be a 3-0 loss for Australia, there were some positive signs to take out of it.

(Joe Root out to Harris)

Losing the first Test by 14runs (top order not functioning) after losing toss. Thanks to Ashton Agar and our tail.

We were pantsed in the second Test at Lords with another dismal top-middle order showing.

Lost the toss.

On top in the 3rd after winning toss and magnificent innings by Clarke, good support by Rogers and Smith. A resultant draw after losing time on Day 4 (bad light with lights on you have to be kidding) and losing 2 sessions on Day 5 due to rain needing 7 wickets.

A embarrassing capitulation in the run chase in the 4th after being 0-105 chasing 300 odd for victory at Durham.

On top in the 5th after winning toss and posting good opening of 450+ on back of Watson's 176.

Both Siddle and Harris have bowled well throughout series.

Whilst Australia does have some work to do regarding consistency with their batting and minimising the howlers with DRS, England can enjoy their time in the sun for now.

They've made the most of winning the toss and completely outplayed Australia at Lords and Broad bowled extremely well on the last day at Durham to finish our fragile batting display.