Demonstone's Mid Season Mentally Stimulating Mind Stretcher

Ian Dury had reasons to be cheerful.  So do we!

1.  Melbourne can't lose this weekend

2.  Casey can't lose this weekend

3.  There's another brainteaser*

*  may not necessarily cause cheerfulness

As always, below is a mock team that today consists entirely of past and present Demons players.

What do they have in common?  

I don't rate this one as particularly difficult.  YMMV.

Answers in a PM only if you would be so considerate.

=====================================================

B:       Daniel Ward     Steven May     Phil Gilbert

H/B:   Lachie Hunter     Nathan Carroll     Joel Macdonald

C:       Caleb Windsor     Clayton Oliver     Bernie Vince

H/F:    Sean Charles     Mitch Clark     Dean Kent

F:       Aaron Davey     Daniel Turner     Kade Chandler

R:       Stefan Martin     Cameron Bruce     Brock McLean

I/C:    Dom Tyson     Cale Morton     Jake Spencer     Matthew Jefferson

SUB:  Bailey Laurie

• Thinking 1

When all our world seems preoccupied otherwise, @Demonstone, a brave venture into Not Taking Things Too Seriously!

Power to your arm, Good Sir.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Ian Dury had reasons to be cheerful.  So do we!

1.  Melbourne can't lose this weekend

2.  Casey can't lose this weekend

3.  There's another brainteaser*

*  may not necessarily cause cheerfulness

As always, below is a mock team that today consists entirely of past and present Demons players.

What do they have in common?  

I don't rate this one as particularly difficult.  YMMV.

Answers in a PM only if you would be so considerate.

=====================================================

B:       Daniel Ward     Steven May     Phil Gilbert

H/B:   Lachie Hunter     Nathan Carroll     Joel Macdonald

C:       Caleb Windsor     Clayton Oliver     Bernie Vince

H/F:    Sean Charles     Mitch Clark     Dean Kent

F:       Aaron Davey     Daniel Turner     Kade Chandler

R:       Stefan Martin     Cameron Bruce     Brock McLean

I/C:    Dom Tyson     Cale Morton     Jake Spencer     Matthew Jefferson

SUB:  Bailey Laurie

'YMMV'?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

'YMMV'?

written abbreviation for your mileage may vary: used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours: Their first album is better, but of course YMMV.

1 minute ago, Demonstone said:

written abbreviation for your mileage may vary: used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours: Their first album is better, but of course YMMV.

Very 'Now', D!

Thenkew.

We've cracked the ton!  One hundred views, but only one (incorrect) suggestion to date.

My nephew Matthew's footy team also cracked the ton today, kicking an impressive 20.16.136.

• Clap 1

@Demonstone, may I request for this, and for any other future mockeries, by you, me or any other bravehearts, that the commonality be nominated at the outset, in one of the three following categories:

1. Football related and related to the selected players

2. Football related but not related to the selected players

3. Not football related.

Ready, set, go...

Looks like that first clue was far too obscure.  (Demonland:  What freakin' clue?)

Here's another.

The coach of this team is Dean Bailey.  None of Goodwin, Roos, Neeld, Daniher, Balme or Northey qualify.

3 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

@Demonstone, may I request for this, and for any other future mockeries, by you, me or any other bravehearts, that the commonality be nominated at the outset, in one of the three following categories:

1. Football related and related to the selected players

2. Football related but not related to the selected players

3. Not football related.

Ready, set, go...

I'll fish a bit further, @Demonstone; I realise there should have been four categories (with examples now):

1. Football related and related to the selected players e.g. 'Scored goal with first kick'

2. Football related but not related to the selected players e.g. 'Share name with Brownlow medallist'

3. Not football related but related to the selected players e.g. 'Born in same month'

4. Not football related or related to the selected players e.g. 'Share name with famous guitarist'

Ready, set, go again...

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew

12 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I'll fish a bit further

There but for the grace of cod and so on? 

This particular teaser falls into category 3. 

I'll be back in the morning with a further clue if required (which I suspect may be the case).

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

There but for the grace of cod and so on? 

This particular teaser falls into category 3. 

I'll be back in the morning with a further clue if required (which I suspect may be the case).

Thanks.

And that's OK; I know my plaice.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Looks like that first clue was far too obscure.  (Demonland:  What freakin' clue?)

Here's another.

The coach of this team is Dean Bailey.  None of Goodwin, Roos, Neeld, Daniher, Balme or Northey qualify.

Goody comes close. #scandalsoftheturnbullera

6 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

@Timothy Reddan-A'Blew is correct on two fronts.  Double bravo!

Not only has he identified the correct answer but has also provided another clue.

Thanks, D 🙂

Though I do agree with @DemonlandWhat freakin' (first) clue?! 😄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Thanks, D 🙂

He's PMd me, folks.

I'm off to find a good book now...

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Thanks, D 🙂

I thought the same!!!

More than the obscure that @Demonstone later claimed ... 'red herring' more like it 🙃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

Hmmm, still no more takers.

To help find the answer, focus less on Fogarty (the Crow) and more on Friggidy Tha Saint.

Mr d, clues are supposed to help find the answers not run people around in circles ...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Demonstone said:

My nephew Matthew's footy team also cracked the ton today, kicking an impressive 20.16.136.

An oblique reference to Matthew 20.16 - "So the last will be first".

This is the first and almost definitely the last time I'll be referencing the scriptures!

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Friggidy Tha Saint.

Friggidy is a rapper who has a "song" called "And The Last Shall Be First"

15 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Bailey is also a first name.  None of the others meet this criterion.

2 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Goody comes close. #scandalsoftheturnbullera

Reference to Godwin Grech of 2009's "Utegate" scandal.  Godwin/Goodwin.  Thanks @Timothy Reddan-A'Blew!

The answer of course is that all the players in my team have surnames that can also be first names.

I can understand your frustration and anger.  You probably want to hit me.  Hit me.  Hit me.

We started with Ian Dury. It would seem appropriate to let the last be the first.

• Thanks 1

So no-one came third ...

I do agree with you initial comment - it was relatively easy; 'clues' not withstanding 🙃

Mr d, thanks for all your work to entertain and challenge us.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Thanks 1

I thought it might make a change from the mass anger, bitterness and vitriolic wrist-slashing of late.

Be warned that I have three (3!!) more teasers up my sleeve, but will not post any for a while.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I thought it might make a change from the mass anger, bitterness and vitriolic wrist-slashing of late.

Be warned that I have three (3!!) more teasers up my sleeve, but will not post any for a while.

You don't scare me !!! 😁

• Haha 1

I thought of the possibility of Surnames that are also first names, but discounted it since I've never heard of anyone with the first name "McLean". (and I actually met Lord MacLean at Duart castle on the Isle of Mull in 1977)

I guess there's some Rap singer or drummer called MacLean Smith or something!