Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

I will apologise to Demonland if it comes out that Tom had agreed to go to GWS before the end of the season.

I wont apologise for not knowing either way until it comes out that the statement and timetable made by Tom and his management were a sham.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont apologise for not knowing either way until it comes out that the statement and timetable made by Tom and his management were a sham.

I have tied myself to his word as my 'signature' suggests.

I don't think what he is doing is a 'farce,' and I hope that he comes to the realisation that the best place for him and his footy is Melbourne - at the Demons.

But I realise that this is the greatest decision in his life, and will remain so until he proposes or has a kid, etc.

And so we wait.

Theres the rub - you could be right or wrong.

Tom staying or leaving proves nothing either way.

You may be 100% right that he has committed all the way along the line and MFC may talk him into staying this week.

Heres the difference between us - I deal in what I do know - not in what I dont know.

Where there is conflicting information I try to sort fact from heresay from fiction.

Your theory is good but without any proof period. Toms statements are clear but you are right - he could be telling whoopers.

It costs me nothing to believe in the persons statement who this is about.

Until someone firsthand to the situation comes out and says - "this is how it went down" - Tom staying or going will prove no-ones theories right.

So face value it is.

Nothing can be proven unfortunately. I'd like to have keycode to Adrian Anderson's filing cabinet so I could slip into AFL HQ and go retrieve it. But alas, I can't.

Someone has come out and said he knows how it went down ... David Schwarz. His tweet was strong and unequivocal. "Don't be so naive he got the offer last October".

From that cat-out-of-the-bag statement ... which no-one seems to want to acknowledge ... I extrapolate my theory and everything makes perfect sense.

It has to be accepted that one of them lied. I just don't think it was the Ox.

Guest Thomo

1/ All players agree that the love playing to the big crowds - every second week to 10000 people ? fun !

2/ dont necessarily agree with you about premiership window

3/ facilities are good at the MFC

4/ lifestyle - well at least where you live - agreed !

5/ money - agree

Fair points, my opinions are

1/ I think players have to say that, they don't want to tell members who are paying hard earned money that it really doesn't matter. With Scully being such a professional, I don't think the number of spectators would rank high on his motivating factors.

2/ Gold Coast were much better than I expected this year, imagine them in another two years. GWS will be one year behind them, with the full support of the AFL behind them. When the AFL wanted success in Brisbane and Sydney they got it, this will be no different. Meanwhile Melbourne is in trouble on and off the field, with no improvement this year, and no success in a hell of a long time, I'd back GWS to be winning in a grand final before Melbourne

3/ AAMI facilities are good, but we don't always have access to them. I have not seen them, but from what I have heard Casey facilities are well below what other clubs are using. Last year the ground was not up to standard and the team could not train there. Most clubs have pools, medical facilities and indoor training areas. I dont think Casey has any of this. It seems that even North and Bulldogs have gone past Melbourne. The GWS will be first class, the AFL will ensure this.

4/ I'll go for quick surf after work tonight. Can't do that in Melbourne.

5/ Lots of money.

Edited by Thomo

Nothing can be proven unfortunately. I'd like to have keycode to Adrian Anderson's filing cabinet so I could slip into AFL HQ and go retrieve it. But alas, I can't.

Someone has come out and said he knows how it went down ... David Schwarz. His tweet was strong and unequivocal. "Don't be so naive he got the offer last October".

From that cat-out-of-the-bag statement ... which no-one seems to want to acknowledge ... I extrapolate my theory and everything makes perfect sense.

Schwarz' comments have been acknowledged, doesn't mean they have to be factual

Is everything written / said by a journo truthful?

What repercussions have we seen against journo's for getting Walker wrong? None

Schwarz' comments have been acknowledged, doesn't mean they have to be factual

Is everything written / said by a journo truthful?

What repercussions have we seen against journo's for getting Walker wrong? None

Is everything written/said by a footballer truthful? Hmm.

Really Nutbean ... you'd still hold that view? Fair enough but I think it just stretches believability beyond its limits to think that he sat down on Monday, opened the envelope with the offer in it and made a decision by the end of the week. I mean ... come on.

If he goes, it vindicates the Ox, the journos and anyone who's known/suspected a bit of bluff and bluster has been going on.

That'll be embarrassing for the journo bashers on here and I look forward to their responses on the matter. Some apologies to David Schwarz will be in order because I think his reputation has taken a fair hammering over the course of the year.

I've been trying not to enter this thread but RR you are unavailable in your view that this is a conspircy...

Tom meet his manager on Thursday last week to discuss the contract it was the first time he has looked at the contract in detail and the meeting was for his manager to brief him on what each club has offered- counter offered etc etc. how much marketing he is expected to do etc etc. He has known vague details after both offers were presented but hadn't actual discussed anything until last week...

You can say a young kid is conning me but I seriously doubt it...

Me either. The whole thing stinks. Just hurry up Tom, but I firmly believe he will be taking his talents to breakfast point.

For those that are taking the word of journos over Tom - that's fine.

But that doesn't mean that either side is lying.

The journos can blame their sources.

Tom doesn't have that protection from what he has said.

I don't believe Schwarz and co. are liars. I think they have trusted the 'inside word' of a few people who don't have said 'inside word.'

Like the way Player Manager Connors told all and sundry that Taylor Walker was certain to go.

Taylor Walker recently signed for the Crows, and Connors (an 'inside' word, with 'inside word' connections) was proved very wrong.

If Tom signed a contract last October - Tom is a liar.

If Tom didn't sign a contract - David Schwarz trusted the wrong sources.

I don't know when the offer came and when Tom Scully first knew about it but look at it this way.

The journalists said he was a target - Correct

The journalists said the offer was $5m over 5 years - seemingly correct

The journalists said he had signed - ?

They got the first two right, allegedly so why not the last?

They may get some things wrong but they had that information months ago well before GWS announced they had put an offer to his management. Is that coincidental or in fact was there a leak at GWS or did hi management let the news out.

If there are those that think GWS only offered the contract and money because of all the publicity surrounding the matter and decided "hey what the hell let's float that one", they are naive.

We have had dreadful year watching our side get belted time and time again and this has just been the icing on the cake.

Guest Gareth Keenan

No, but it doesn't mean your default position should be to assume he is lying.

Fair points, my opinions are

1/ I think players have to say that, they don't want to tell members who are paying hard earned money that it really doesn't matter. With Scully being such a professional, I don't think the number of spectators would rank high on his motivating factors.

2/ Gold Coast were much better than I expected this year, imagine them in another two years. GWS will be one year behind them, with the full support of the AFL behind them. When the AFL wanted success in Brisbane and Sydney they got it, this will be no different. Meanwhile Melbourne is in trouble on and off the field, with no improvement this year, and no success in a hell of a long time, I'd back GWS to be winning in a grand final before Melbourne

3/ AAMI facilities are good, but we don't always have access to them. I have not seen them, but from what I have heard Casey facilities are well below what other clubs are using. Last year the ground was not up to standard and the team could not train there. Most clubs have pools, medical facilities and indoor training areas. I don’t think Casey has any of this. It seems that even North and Bulldogs have gone past Melbourne. The GWS will be first class, the AFL will ensure this.

4/ I'll go for quick surf after work tonight. Can't do that in Melbourne.

5/ Lots of money.

1/ Players of course would prefer (for the most part) to play in front of large crowds. Hence why "big games" are often played a higher intensity

2/ Gold Coast were better, but still not great. Without Ablett, Bock, Risca they would've been much worse, all seasoned players. It's looking like GWS won't have this. GC also came in to the comp in a boom draft and cleaned up. This draft where GWS will benefit is meant to be thing. They have also aimed for younger uncontracted players to recruit. They are far more than a year behind GC IMO

3/ Have you seen GWS facilities? do we know they are any better?

4/ not everyone surfs

5/ $600k p.a. for 5 years isn't a lot of money?

I've been trying not to enter this thread but RR you are unavailable in your view that this is a conspircy...

Tom meet his manager on Thursday last week to discuss the contract it was the first time he has looked at the contract in detail and the meeting was for his manager to brief him on what each club has offered- counter offered etc etc. how much marketing he is expected to do etc etc. He has known vague details after both offers were presented but hadn't actual discussed anything until last week...

You can say a young kid is conning me but I seriously doubt it...

So WM what is your gut feel then. He obviously hasn't told you one way or the other what he is doing but as you must have got to know him over the year, you must have a feeling as to which way he is going to go. No one reads this rubbish so feel confident to let loose!!!

I don't know when the offer came and when Tom Scully first knew about it but look at it this way.

Taylor Walker was a target that many said had signed.

That was not the case.

I fully admit that I am basing my view on the word of Tom Scully - but that does not mean that my view isn't the truth.

And journos get quite a lot right, but they tend to extrapolate the 'sexy' parts.

It gets you on the back page...

No, but who's going to come out looking worse by lying?

If it's proven Scully lied, he'll be labelled that way forever

If Schwarz is wrong, as rfpc said, he can say he got fed bogus info

For those that are taking the word of journos over Tom - that's fine.

But that doesn't mean that either side is lying.

The journos can blame their sources.

Tom doesn't have that protection from what he has said.

I don't believe Schwarz and co. are liars. I think they have trusted the 'inside word' of a few people who don't have said 'inside word.'

Like the way Player Manager Connors told all and sundry that Taylor Walker was certain to go.

Taylor Walker recently signed for the Crows, and Connors (an 'inside' word, with 'inside word' connections) was proved very wrong.

If Tom signed a contract last October - Tom is a liar.

If Tom didn't sign a contract - David Schwarz trusted the wrong sources.

This is pure rubbish and a sly way of slinking away from the consequences of your stance.

You can't stand it that 'David "Effing" Schwarz' as you called him said what he said and are embarrassed that the charade has played out in the manner it has.

Have some balls and admit it.

Guest Gareth Keenan

They may get some things wrong but they had that information months ago well before GWS announced they had put an offer to his management. Is that coincidental or in fact was there a leak at GWS or did hi management let the news out.

If there are those that think GWS only offered the contract and money because of all the publicity surrounding the matter and decided "hey what the hell let's float that one", they are naive.

We have had dreadful year watching our side get belted time and time again and this has just been the icing on the cake.

Hahahaha come on...

The journalist said Walker was gone - incorrect.

Oh no, now it's only 2-1!

The journalists said Carlisle was gone - incorrect

The journalists said Pavlich would go to GC - incorrect

The journalists said the Y2K bug would bring the apocalypse - incorrect

Oh no! Now it's 4-2 for the negative!

He must be staying!

Terrible logic RF. Just horrible.

As for the other pro's and cons listed, after watching Gold Coast this year I'd say a player has more chance of playing in a premiership at GWS than MFC in the next decade. They will also have better funding and better facilities. I'd also rather live in a warmer Climate on the beach in Bronte than Berwick. Western Sydney may be a hole, but the good places in Sydney are much better to live than anywhere in Melbourne.

The only pro’s I can see to stay at MFC are friends and family in Melbourne, and loyalty to the club. Money, premiership success, facilities, stability and lifestyle are all in Sydney.

Disagree with all of this mate.

I think Melbourne are going to have a massive chance to win a flag in our next tilt.

I think GSW are going to be far far worse than GC. At least GC signed some quality, so far in my view GWS have signed no one of substance.

MFC facilities are as good as any other club in the league.

Last comment that Sydney has better suburbs, lifestyle etc. is ridicules and a completely personal view. I have lived in both cities and had the chance to chose where I settled and chose Melbourne hands down. So have many other people I know.

The only Pro to GWS is money. And let’s face it he isn’t going to be struggling if he stays with Melbourne.

We hear Scully is going to tour the facilities

GWS CEO says its news to him, Tom's been given an offer and is obviously deciding, including talks with Melbourne

Don't even begin to analyse this Herald Sun crap.

the Robinson piece is all supposition, no sources, just a stab in the dark when they had nothing else.

it's shelf life was a couple of hours until someone spoke to gws

I'd love to link the tom scully saga with the fernando torres transfer from Liverpool to Chelsea in the EPL. Now before you jump all over me, it is merely a link- they aren't that similar. But what is similar is the uproar that fans showed once Liverpool sold torres, who for 3-4 seasons they had loved, and 'bounced' as they sang his name after scoring quality goals,

Legendary Manager Kenny Dalglish made it clear once the club had let go of Torres- "No one individual is bigger than this football club. The Liverpool Football Club will carry on."

This is the exact attitude we need to show. I'm sorry but saying Tom Scully going puts us back a few years is complete garbage. Sides aren't built around one player. And like Torres, Scully might have a dicky knee and never recover. Good luck to him I say if he moves.

Now- let's get ourselves a good coach!

Edited by Red and Blue Flame

Hahahaha come on...

The journalist said Walker was gone - incorrect.

Oh no, now it's only 2-1!

The journalists said Carlisle was gone - incorrect

The journalists said Pavlich would go to GC - incorrect

The journalists said the Y2K bug would bring the apocalypse - incorrect

Oh no! Now it's 4-2 for the negative!

He must be staying!

Terrible logic RF. Just horrible.

Read what I said.

Journalists said:

Scully was a target - Correct

Contract on offer was 5 years - Correct

Contract was $5m over 5 years - correct

This information came out months ago so were they right or wrong?

Now where did I mention the other players?

Nowhere - correct.

Comprehension; look it up.

Edited by RobbieF

Don't even begin to analyse this Herald Sun crap.

the Robinson piece is all supposition, no sources, just a stab in the dark when they had nothing else.

it's shelf life was a couple of hours until someone spoke to gws

Exactly my point

The whole Scully debacle of the year has been full of stabs in the dark, supposition, numerous unnamed sources etc.

Guest Thomo

1/ Players of course would prefer (for the most part) to play in front of large crowds. Hence why "big games" are often played a higher intensity

2/ Gold Coast were better, but still not great. Without Ablett, Bock, Risca they would've been much worse, all seasoned players. It's looking like GWS won't have this. GC also came in to the comp in a boom draft and cleaned up. This draft where GWS will benefit is meant to be thing. They have also aimed for younger uncontracted players to recruit. They are far more than a year behind GC IMO

3/ Have you seen GWS facilities? do we know they are any better?

4/ not everyone surfs

5/ $600k p.a. for 5 years isn't a lot of money?

Fair points.

1/ Could be argued that the crowd turn up because it is a big game. Chicken and egg, it's only my opinion, no facts to back it up.

2/ They will struggle for the first couple of years in comparison to Gold Coast, but I actually think that GWS are smart going after younger players. Gold Coast will not be in a position to challenge for a flag for 3-4 years, at that stage Ablett, Bock, Brown and Brennen will be in their 30's, Risca will be 28. The players GWS are recruiting will be peaking at the right time. The AFL are giving GWS concessions over two years, so they should be able to draft a least as good as Gold Coast.

3/ I read some info and seen them driving past. With a blank cheque from the AFL they will be very good.

4/ Maybe because they are stuck inside in the freezing cold 100 km from a decent beach

5/ The difference between the two amounts could mean setting himself up in a nice house with some investments, or never having to work again.

Exactly my point

The whole Scully debacle of the year has been full of stabs in the dark, supposition, numerous unnamed sources etc.

Yes but some of the early information has proven to be true, hasn't it?

Perhaps they weren't stabs in the dark.