Shaun Hampson

todd

Are you sure Cheney, McNamara and Bartram all resigned for 2 years? When resigned last year their length of contract was not specified so I believed at least 1 of them would only get a 1 year deal.

Also why the hell is Dunn contracted to 2011, when was that done.

What about retirements, Bruce could easily go, he doesn't offer a heap more than the guys in the VFL. McDonald must only be a couple of injuries away from giving it up.

Cheney & McNamara were drafted in '07, so with a standard 2 Yr contract, > 2009... Plus a further 2, I would Imagine, 2011??? Wasn't Bartram only given 1 Yr to show something?

Well I think he is showing something, fantastic Clint...Well done mate, so far so good.

PS: Found this, http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/10/2738808.htm

Edited by dee-luded

Cheney & McNamara were drafted in '07, so with a standard 2 Yr contract, > 2009... Plus a further 2, I would Imagine, 2011??? Wasn't Bartram only given 1 Yr to show something?

Well I think he is showing something, fantastic Clint...Well done mate, so far so good.

PS: Found this, http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/10/2738808.htm

no big surprises here, but i've heard from a reasonable source that dees will be going very hard for a ready made key forward this year. no names were given only that the focus is on a key forward. i've racked my brain trying to work out who it could be.

i assume they'd need to be after a young/ish player, possibly a go home factor.

hampson is certainly tall, but hasnt shown much as a key forward, still very young and could be a very good player, id say more of a ruck rather than a forward, but i probably havent seen enough of him.

john butcher is another possibility from port, unproven but highly rated, from gippsland, has been injured for most of the year.

lewis johnstone is another from sydney, originally from south australia from memory. took the greatest number of contested marks at u/18's in watts' year.

jaryd grant has shown flashes and looks ready to go.

butcher, grant and johnstone all very high draft picks so a trade would need to include a first round pick at least.

i am a big wrap for taylor walker, i think he's from broken hill originally, apparently attitude problems too, but has oodles of talent.

might be interesting to chat about who you would target if you were after a 10 year key forward.

another topic would be would compliment a forward line of watts, jurrah, bate. i'd say johnstone would be the best compliment for those 3 as he takes a good contested grab.

So change for the sake of change??? Personally I would want to see Tim Harrington sacked for delisting players purely for the exercise of participating in the draft. A delisting to open a draft pick decision has to be made giving consideration to whether the draft pick could yield a player more valuable to the list than the one being delisted.

It's not change for the sake of change, it's change for the sake of keeping your list churning. Keeping the talent flowing in is absolutely critical, and if you confine yourself to one pick and rookies then you're not doing enough.

In last year's draft 11 clubs promoted at least one rookie (5 of those promoted two rookies). Of those 11 clubs, every single one used at least three picks before hand. Geelong, by far the best team in the competition both then and now, delisted five senior listed players and introduced four new faces to the squad. St Kilda did exactly the same thing - delisted five seniors, drafted one in the draft, promoted one rookie. Given that Geelong and St. Kilda both managed to find space for four fresh faces in to their elite squads, I think it would be pretty poor if we can't find three. If we can only find one then that is an absolutely diabolical result in my eyes.

no big surprises here, but i've heard from a reasonable source that dees will be going very hard for a ready made key forward this year. no names were given only that the focus is on a key forward. i've racked my brain trying to work out who it could be.

i assume they'd need to be after a young/ish player, possibly a go home factor.

Hawkins, Mooney, Cloke, Roughead, Dowler, jeez, this could go on. There's a lot of possibilities.

hampson is certainly tall, but hasnt shown much as a key forward, still very young and could be a very good player, id say more of a ruck rather than a forward, but i probably havent seen enough of him.

john butcher is another possibility from port, unproven but highly rated, from gippsland, has been injured for most of the year.

lewis johnstone is another from sydney, originally from south australia from memory. took the greatest number of contested marks at u/18's in watts' year.

jaryd grant has shown flashes and looks ready to go.

butcher, grant and johnstone all very high draft picks so a trade would need to include a first round pick at least.

i am a big wrap for taylor walker, i think he's from broken hill originally, apparently attitude problems too, but has oodles of talent.

might be interesting to chat about who you would target if you were after a 10 year key forward.

another topic would be would compliment a forward line of watts, jurrah, bate. i'd say johnstone would be the best compliment for those 3 as he takes a good contested grab.

Needs to have a bit of bulk & a bit of shitabout them to split packs & play tall. And needs to be able to play deep & high out around the 50 with the kick to suit.

It's not change for the sake of change, it's change for the sake of keeping your list churning. Keeping the talent flowing in is absolutely critical, and if you confine yourself to one pick and rookies then you're not doing enough.

In last year's draft 11 clubs promoted at least one rookie (5 of those promoted two rookies). Of those 11 clubs, every single one used at least three picks before hand. Geelong, by far the best team in the competition both then and now, delisted five senior listed players and introduced four new faces to the squad. St Kilda did exactly the same thing - delisted five seniors, drafted one in the draft, promoted one rookie. Given that Geelong and St. Kilda both managed to find space for four fresh faces in to their elite squads, I think it would be pretty poor if we can't find three. If we can only find one then that is an absolutely diabolical result in my eyes.

How is "keeping your list churning" different from just "change"?? You've just substituted some words. This draft is a very different situation to previous years. The pool is frightfully shallow with all of the concessions to GC & GWS. The best 11 players in the draft are gone before the wooden spooner gets a look in. Then another 4 of the next best 8.

Why is it you value a 'fresh face' over an existing young player?? I can understand moving on 'older' guys like PJ & Bell in favour of an 18 year old, but do we really advance our list by moving on a 20 year old who's just getting going like McNamara or Strauss to start all over again with a new one just because it seems like the thing to do??

Besides, if we made one or even two draft picks along with turning over our entire rookie list, that injects 8 'fresh faces' into the squad.

Are you sure Cheney, McNamara and Bartram all resigned for 2 years? When resigned last year their length of contract was not specified so I believed at least 1 of them would only get a 1 year deal.

Also why the hell is Dunn contracted to 2011, when was that done.

What about retirements, Bruce could easily go, he doesn't offer a heap more than the guys in the VFL. McDonald must only be a couple of injuries away from giving it up.

I think Bartram was the only one that was given 1 year. I reckon your being tough on Cheney. What more can the kid do?