Chris Connolly - Game Announcer

Maybe next year

I have had time to reflect on yesterday and I could not bare to think of the football game. So I focussed off-field. I loved the fact the club gave free flags to people who wanted them. It made us look like we had more supporters there than in reality. I also enjoyed the trumpeter although to be honest I preferred it when it was spontaneous. However, what amazed me is that our General Manager of Football is playing announcer. Surely he should be in the rooms with the players or the coaches. If not for input, but to see how the coaches are going about their job. At the end of the year tough decisions will need to be made. If someone senior needs to do the announcing, Bev can do it, or get a past player. I will do it if need be. I understand that we need to cost cut and we cannot afford a media person but please not our General Manager of Football.

And one more thing. I know I have mentioned it on here before and have been told that there are bigger issues. But it really irritates me when the highlights during our home game is of the opposition - especially showing Judd kick a goal. It just emphasises how depressing it is not having him at the club. If we kick one goal - make that OUR highlight. If we kick no goals - show a mark or dare I say show a handball to a running player above the knees. Anyway - enough said. I am starting to think of the game again.

Thanks for listening to me rave on.

Yeah, I cringed quite a bit.

And I was wondering about the flags. Everyone in my section seemed to have them. Where were people getting them from?

Chris Connoly being a 'game announcer' is the least of our problems.

Get over it.

Once again I am told we have bigger problems. You may be right. However, I would like to know he is watching the coaches pre-game to see how they are performing. He cannot do that while he is standing out on the ground. Just my opinion - at least I am not bagging young players like Frawley and Garland like some other people do here.

Once again I am told we have bigger problems. You may be right. However, I would like to know he is watching the coaches pre-game to see how they are performing. He cannot do that while he is standing out on the ground. Just my opinion - at least I am not bagging young players like Frawley and Garland like some other people do here.

Conolly is with the coaches all week. To have him do a bit of spruiking on match day is fine. ime sure he goes straight up to the coaches box when its done. We have much bigger issues to concern ourselves with right now. At least we dont have a hovercraft like Hawthorn did!!

I like your concern 'Maybe next year', but believe me, Connells knows what he's doing. He knows fullwell that we need to focus on keeping the faithfull onside thru these toughtimes & he's hearing the supporters grief & dissenchantment with the service to supporters.

This is the start of a better lias'on I'm sure between club & barrackers.

We must build this club from the bottom up, from our feral supporter friends to that crusty upperlip brigade. :D

I felt a bit uncomfortable for Chris, but to his eternal credit he got out there knowing full well that after being whipped four weeks in a row it was going to be a very tough gig.

He spoke honestly and with passion and called on all Melbourne fans to support the team by making as much noise as possible.

The whole idea of the General Manager of Football talking directly to the fans before the game, then introducing a recorded message from the senior coach and then interviewing one of our assistant coaches should be applauded, not ridiculed.

If this is to become a regular feature at home games it would set a new standard among AFL clubs for direct and meaningful engagement with fans before the game. If your a Melbourne supporter and are interested enough to go along to the occasional game, hearing this sort of communication from people in the inner sanctum just before the first bounce could well tip you across the line into become a member.

All of us, in the many years we have followed Melbourne can remember times when the team was travelling really well and we rolled up to the game full of anticipation, hungry for information about how the players were feeling, what had been the focus at training during the week and what the coaches would be asking for in terms of strategies. Even if they really tell us nothing of substance, it is a much better build up to the moment the team runs out on the ground than with all due respect to Paul Kelly, some dated tune, or even worse, a series of ads from Toyota, GIO or Westpac.

I can't believe even cocky Essendon, arrogant Carlton and dumb as dog do Collingwood supporters would not look on with some envy that their club didn't give them the same sense of inclusiveness.

Good on yeah Chris.

You judge a person's character by how they conduct themselves in the tough times.

From up in the stands, some day in the future I will look down on you as you have thousands of adoring Melbourne members hanging off every word you say and smile quietly to myself. In that moment, the joy for me will be that much greater as I remember the dark days of 2008.

I was wondering actually what was going on with the flags.

I absolutely noticed that there was heaps more than usual, and all with the new logo.

A good idea and something the club needs to do more of.

The club should camp themselves at Box Hill station and give free scarves and flags to all the young Asian kids who walk past - as well as 2 tickets for MFC's next home game.

Thats how you make people supporters.