Jazz, It's Not Dead, It Just Smells Funny - Jack Jack's Jazz

Jack Jack

Some good stuff there, JJ.

Steely Dan are one of my all time favourite bands. This clip is a 'Classic Albums' music doco on their famed album 'Aja' from 1977. Goes for an hour so you'll need to to be in the mood. Some recognisable songs such as 'Peg' and 'Josie' are featured. Their music is a mix of jazz, rock and funk and they are what I would call an "acquired taste." Many of their songs need multiple listens to really appreciate the depth of this duo's talents.

Macca's jazz 6.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GwEX7nn6o

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Here's a talented singer/saxophonist ... 'Grace Kelly'

From Grace ...

I am excited to show you my very first music video!! My concept behind it was to have many friends and fans join me in my video to dance, laugh, celebrate friendship and their "sweet sweet baby."

No scripts were written, we just gathered people together, came up with ideas and rolled the camera.

Macca's jazz 6.2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boney James has released yet another chart topping album called ... 'The Beat'. It becomes his 10th album to reach no.1 on Billboard's contemporary jazz albums

Here's a track from the album called ... 'Batucada' ... quite an upbeat number.

Macca's jazz 6.3

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Couple of tracks from the late great Ray Charles ...

Macca's jazz 6.4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a decent recommendation from Spotify. Air. Or have I taken it the wrong way? Nevertheless they've got some great music.

Jack Jack's Jazz 4.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiglRCekcJ0

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's been a long while since I jumped in here, so here are a couple you may or may not be familiar with (I try to be a little obscure):

Bas Lexter Ensample "HongKongLingLing"

Kanazawa, Akiko - famed Japanese minyou singer - "Yellow Submarine"

• Like 1

Not really jazz as such, but it's so hauntingly beautiful that I thought I would throw it in anyway:

Daiqing Tana "Ongmanibamai":

Japanese weird jazz band Electrocution 250 "Fletcher the Mouse"

**Warning: This WILL polarise you!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a track called "Hacienda" by 'Jeff Lorber Fusion' (from their latest album)

'Hacienda' currently holds down the no.1 spot on the Billboard jazz charts. The first youtube link serves as a bit of an introduction to the song (and the album) "Hacienda" (the song) follows ...

Macca's jazz 6.7

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Here's a couple of favourites from earlier in the thread ...

I've no idea who plays this song or who or what Lupin III is. But it's a bloody good tune.

Jack Jack's Jazz 3.8

Here are a couple I quite like... firstly an Anglo/Japanese collaboration known as United Future Organization "I Love My Baby, My Baby Loves Jazz":

Edited by Macca

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple from Steely Dan ... not quite jazz or maybe it is? First "Black Cow" from their acclaimed album 'Aja' ... then "Haitian Divorce" from their album recorded a year earlier called 'The Royal Scam'

Macca's jazz 6.8

• Like 1

Another from Jeff Lorber Fusion's latest album, 'Hacienda' ... this track is called "Fab Gear"

Macca's jazz 6.9

• Like 1

Managed to track down all the songs from the UK comedy series ... "Lead Balloon" ... I'll post up all 11 songs eventually, but here's the first few ...

"Lazy Days in Dixie" & "Shaken not Stirred" by Danny Baker (tracks 15 &17 on this link)

and ... "Prenez Ma Main" by Chris Marshall

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A recent visit to see my niece and nephew exposed me to some music that I wouldn't necessarily hear. Their favourite line, which they repeated incessantly, was "You know what to do with that big fat butt". Not being familiar with with that particular lyric meant it required some youtube research. Turns out it's Jason Derulo - Wiggle, but I was lucky enough to come accross a cover version by Scott Bradlee & The Postmodern Jukebox. It's a serious improvement on the original in my opinion. And they have many other great covers.

• Like 1

I am a devotee of the caravan music club in Oakleigh and they get some great live music down there.

About twice a year Harry Angus ( from the Cat Empire) and Darcy McNulty and two others from Clairey Browne and the Banging raquettes play the club in a band called "Jazz Party"

They played in November and got nice and toasted and had to be thrown out at 1am - just wouldn't stop playing - it was a great night.

They get together infrequently due to their other commitments but if you see them advertised definitely go and see them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some terrific stuff there JJ ... really enjoyed those 2 tracks.

Here's a couple from one of my favourite pianists ... the late, great Oscar Peterson playing 2 of Gershwin's classics ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.