Scully no to WA?

fuchsia

As an aside, what do you think of Trengove ?

From what I've seen of Trengove over the past 2 years is

that he's a dangerous player of medium height (about 185 mark), he's strong, not overly quick but quick enough....runs a 15+ beep, and just hard at it, a bit like Jack Ziebell.....he's also a straight A student and has has future captain written all over him.

What I like most about him is that he attacks the contest hard, has great vision around traffic and can slip a handball through a couple of sets of arms to a team mate, he makes good decisions, always seems composed... and can go and rest up forward and provide a dangerous target up there too.

In terms of comparing him to someone else ... You might hear comparisons to Riccuito, but perhaps a better version of Jack Grimes is a good reference.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better version of Jack Grimes

:blink: BETTER version of Grimes you say?! Draft him! lol

Thanks for the input. I certainly want to see more of him. Would you classify him as an inside player?

Thanks for the input. I certainly want to see more of him. Would you classify him as an inside player?

Tough question, what do you classify Grimes as?

No worries I'm happy to help,

I'd say overall he's better suited to be an outside player - because of his abillity to carry and create play.

However, I suppose a case could be made to classify him as an inside player as he never shirks an issue and always puts his head over the ball and dishes it out, does the hard stuff when its time his time to go.

Whoever picks him up will have a future captain on the cards.

(Just personally I have him currently ranked at #5)

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

lol I would .. but it's wayyy to early to be openly publishing such rankings.

.. could leave me with some egg on my face :)

Understandable. Perhaps even an omelette.

Would you at least share where you currently place Morabito ? He seems to polarize people. I understand the querys on his disposal when running full tilt and the odd questionable decision, but I also see his upside at AFL level and what he can do with his size, pace, and X factor.

I like him, but don't think you're a huge fan. Where do you have him ?

No worries I'm happy to help,

I'd say overall he's better suited to be an outside player - because of his abillity to carry and create play.

However, I suppose a case could be made to classify him as an inside player as he never shirks an issue and always puts his head over the ball and dishes it out, does the hard stuff when its time his time to go.

Thanks for your thoughts on Trengove. Noticed he's jumped all of the sudden from #6 to #5. ;)

Any thoughts or knowledge on Rohan & Coyler? Both caught my eye during the Championships. Coyler obviously later in the Champ's.

Thanks for your thoughts on Trengove. Noticed he's jumped all of the sudden from #6 to #5. ;)

Any thoughts or knowledge on Rohan & Coyler? Both caught my eye during the Championships. Coyler obviously later in the Champ's.

Hey there,

I had a last minute change of mind regarding where I rank Trengove :lol:

Rohan

Rohan is about 186cm, extremely athletic, really bouncy and elite pace.....even more athletic than Stephen Hill in my opinion.....a bit raw around the edges, kicking can be a bit hit and miss, but I reckon that is largely due to his pace (as he is running so fast).

Its worthwhile noticing that after following his progress for 2 years - his first instincts are to take off and run and carry, will run 50m and stay involved in the link of handball all the way up the ground.

In saying this he has a good defensive side too, so will use his athleticism to chase and harass.

He will most likely play HFF/Wing at AFL level and is a goal kicker as well.

In terms of comparison ...more athletic, but not as skillful as Steven Johnson.

Coyler

Coyler is an interesting one .. He is 176cm and lightning quick.

He reminds me a little of Boomer Harvey in stature, but he plays a bit more like Marc Murphy - but not as polished and will find things a bit harder at 176cm.

Kicking not a strong point of his, but knows how to find it and where to run (he is a smart footballer)

In terms of suggesting where they will end up - I've got Rohan in the top #10, but Coyler sliding out to about 19'ish due to his size.

Hope this helps.

Understandable. Perhaps even an omelette.

Would you at least share where you currently place Morabito ? He seems to polarize people. I understand the querys on his disposal when running full tilt and the odd questionable decision, but I also see his upside at AFL level and what he can do with his size, pace, and X factor.

I like him, but don't think you're a huge fan. Where do you have him ?

Hey there,

I place Morabito currently at #4 (So I DO rate him lol) but as I've said - with the emergence of other players over the course of the Championships - he may drop down pending performance.

I agree he has upside in him and provides, X factor and his kicking is an issue when running full tilt.

However, given kicking issues can be corrected with talented youngsters over time (ie. Andrew Walker, Marc Murphy) - its not this that concerns me so much.

My main issue with Morabito is he can be a bit selfish and not team oriented at times, tends to try and pull off flashy things instead of hit simple leading target (ie. will duck back into traffic to try and baulk past 2 opponents instead of passing to an open team mate).

He reminds me of Andrew Walker, with his height and flare - but probably not as athletic (more a Des Headland type perhaps)

Again, hope this clears up where I'm coming from.

Hey there,

I had a last minute change of mind regarding where I rank Trengove :lol:

Rohan

Rohan is about 186cm, extremely athletic, really bouncy and elite pace.....even more athletic than Stephen Hill in my opinion.....a bit raw around the edges, kicking can be a bit hit and miss, but I reckon that is largely due to his pace (as he is running so fast).

Its worthwhile noticing that after following his progress for 2 years - his first instincts are to take off and run and carry, will run 50m and stay involved in the link of handball all the way up the ground.

In saying this he has a good defensive side too, so will use his athleticism to chase and harass.

He will most likely play HFF/Wing at AFL level and is a goal kicker as well.

In terms of comparison ...more athletic, but not as skillful as Steven Johnson.

Coyler

Coyler is an interesting one .. He is 176cm and lightning quick.

He reminds me a little of Boomer Harvey in stature, but he plays a bit more like Marc Murphy - but not as polished and will find things a bit harder at 176cm.

Kicking not a strong point of his, but knows how to find it and where to run (he is a smart footballer)

In terms of suggesting where they will end up - I've got Rohan in the top #10, but Coyler sliding out to about 19'ish due to his size.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. I'm of the same opinion of Coyler being small and lightning quick. Can work on his kicking and can be very damaging. Definitely knows how to find it. Good in the stoppages from what I've seen. I was thinking late 1st round, early second round. Think he may come into contention for our second round pick.

Cheers. I'm of the same opinion of Coyler being small and lightning quick. Can work on his kicking and can be very damaging. Definitely knows how to find it. Good in the stoppages from what I've seen. I was thinking late 1st round, early second round. Think he may come into contention for our second round pick.

Agreed.

But no matter which club selects him - his kicking action (particuarly ball drop) needs to be corrected as a matter of priority.

Thanks for your insights. So if we get the priority pick etc we could potentially pick up Scully and Trengove, and play one inside (Scully) and one outside (Trengove)? Could be the most important draft for us yet, and wind up being what Mclean and Sylvia were suppose to be to an extent (2 tough elite mids).

You say Trengove is more outside, is he an elite kick? The whole reason I'm turned off Morabito is because I think his kicking is iffy. I want a skilled player. It's the most important thing in the game of FOOTball. If you have skilled mids, you win games. If you have players kicking into 50 like in the below clip, you could have a player as poor as Juice Newton sitting there and he'd still dominate.

Edit: for some reason it wont let me embed it :huh:

Edited by Lord Travis

Thanks for your insights. So if we get the priority pick etc we could potentially pick up Scully and Trengove, and play one inside (Scully) and one outside (Trengove)? Could be the most important draft for us yet, and wind up being what Mclean and Sylvia were suppose to be to an extent (2 tough elite mids).

You say Trengove is more outside, is he an elite kick? The whole reason I'm turned off Morabito is because I think his kicking is iffy. I want a skilled player. It's the most important thing in the game of FOOTball. If you have skilled mids, you win games. If you have players kicking into 50 like in the below clip, you could have a player as poor as Juice Newton sitting there and he'd still dominate.

Edit: for some reason it wont let me embed it :huh:

No worries :)

If Melbourne took the "Best Available" policy then theres everychance that they may pick up both Scully and Trengove, however I think initially Trengove will play off the HBF and maybe as a defensive midfielder off the pack.

Imagine facing an onball rotation of McLean, Sculley, Jones and Trengove in years to come :blink:

Like I said in an earlier post - Morabito does get a hard time by some obervers for his kicking style, but it's not something that is un-fixable, in saying that though - I wouldnt expect Melbourne to pick up Morabito come November.

Trengove's kicking is not elite, but it is above average (ie. he can hit targets over a long distance, but doesnt hit them with the same penetration as a Hurn, Rich or Gibbs).

Hope this helps.

b44ce3ccb39ceb784c8487c4708a097d_resized

Late draft prospect. Joe Halloran was overlooked for Vic Metro. Plays KP for Jets who as a team are struggling. Regarded as Jets best player. Was named best on weekend against loss to Gold Coast. Some within Jets camp are bewildered he missed the Vic Metro team. But not surprised as Jets players sometimes overlooked. Worth a look at for recruiters before U18 comp finishes.

edit: Has anyone seen him play?

Edited by High Tower

Late draft prospect. Joe Halloran was overlooked for Vic Metro. Plays KP for Jets who as a team are struggling. Regarded as Jets best player. Was named best on weekend against loss to Gold Coast. Some within Jets camp are bewildered he missed the Vic Metro team. But not surprised as Jets players sometimes overlooked. Worth a look at for recruiters before U18 comp finishes.

edit: Has anyone seen him play?

I've seen Joe play twice only.

And aside from his physical presence he left a lot to be desired (once where he went unbeleivably insane at the Eastern Rangers water boy).

But I've got no doubt that a club that selects him could mould him into a decent player.

He reminds me of Jake Edwards (who funnily enough also came from the Western Jets) - only slower.

I've seen Joe play twice only.

And aside from his physical presence he left a lot to be desired (once where he went unbeleivably insane at the Eastern Rangers water boy).

But I've got no doubt that a club that selects him could mould him into a decent player.

He reminds me of Jake Edwards (who funnily enough also came from the Western Jets) - only slower.

Thanks for that. Is he in the 'too hard' basket then? ie 'could mould him into a decent player'

Thanks for that. Is he in the 'too hard' basket then? ie 'could mould him into a decent player'

Im not sure if it would be 'too hard' - I have a really bad feeling that the club that selects him will be picking up a fantastic VFL player - however one that struggles to make an impact at AFL level and is constantly bandied between the 2 sides.

However, some clubs may persevere - ie. WB.