Byron Pickett

any play 30 years and older who isnt integral to our team should be seriously considered to be delisted at years end.

Even if they still have the ability to contribute, the fact that these guyz wont be around in 2 years time means that younger players should be given preference!

- Ward, Brown, Pickett, Bizzel, Holland and Yze are the group of depth +30 players. of that group 4 should be delisted at least.

- Ferguson and Neville are the other 2 players obviously to be delisted. this will free up 6 spots to use of draftees.

- Others to go if we need more spots for draftees come from the group that includes Miller, Jamar, Warnock and C.Johnson

however our first group of players to be culled for next year must be the +30 group. i see pickett as the first player our new coach will see out of that group. He is an obvious delisting

Vastly logical post there sylvinator..........

(and something, regarding the +30's that was mentioned on the commentary by Gerard Healy the other evening during the game)

The way I see it, it will take two years to overhaul this list given how many we actually have to get through.

There are some players that obviously have more trade value than others, but this almost solely depends on what other clubs want or need, and they may not want any of the players people here have been so willing to get rid of, and as I have said many a time, unless you can push for something better not just the equivalent, but someone actually better, that will absolutely improve the list in some form or another, then I don't see the club involving itself massively in trade week. Obviously there will be more than last year, but still not massively. A couple of the obvious players may be potentially traded but that may well be it.

And while I really do try to understand every ones compulsive need to trade just about anyone who makes a mistake between now and the end of the year, to me it is really not that simple, and a club would only trade for someone of increased value otherwise the whole manoeuvre can be worthless. You end up just changing problems. I don't like the idea of trading for tradings sake. If something better is out there and within our grasp I expect the club to have a tilt, if not then don't.

I understood, and admittedly quite liked the idea of Pickett when we traded for him a couple of years ago. He seemed to fill a void and an obvious need that this particular list had. And for a little while that was successful, but honestly I think that that experiment has totally run its race. I don't really see him around in 2008.

I also don't think he necessarily deserves a spot on the list in 2008, given the issues and total lack of commitment we have witnessed this year (and I like to give second chances). While we can all [censored] and moan about players such as Brown or Miller, we know that while they may not be as skilled as we would like, we can always count on them at least trying to give their best. Pickett is well short on this front and that alone loses him his spot. A poor attitude is always a killer for me.

Which brings me to the delistings, something I am not particularly comfortable with, or as well versed in as others around here, but frankly most of those players that would be included in my list, at least this year, speak for themselves, to me anyway, and they have been mentioned massively in here over the last season or more. But I can't see the club getting rid of more than five or six but that number could very well depend on what the scouts see in the draft anyway.

I guess that means about an eight'ish player turnover at best at the end of this season. Of course a lot of this depends, as I said, on the depth of the draft, or who may become available in the PSD, because room could well need to be made to accommodate theses potential changes. However I just don't see everything happening all at once at the end of this season. I think this "cull" everyone thinks we need will take more than one year to put into place.

Just my opinion :) !!!

Keep for another year, when he's good he's really good and l would say he will have something to prove

Agree upunt to everyone else how many stars do mfc really have anyway.

Get him right for next year maybe on a performance based contract no play no pay that might fire him up. :rolleyes:

He aint one of them.

I sure he will absolutely fire and play his heart out for a no pay no play contract.

He has excelled at $300,000 a year with us this year.

The time for intimidation as your only weapon is gone. It would be the biggest comeback since lazarus if he is retained.

And how much benefit has that been to MFC this year?

Well what benefit has anyone been this year? I mean we are second bottom for a reason, everyone has had a shocker. If we are going to head down this path then we will be delisting the whole team for a poor year. Last year finals Byron was a major asset, if bloody Jeff Farmer is getting 3rd and 4th chances I dont see why Byron shouldnt for doing a lot less.

Well what benefit has anyone been this year? I mean we are second bottom for a reason, everyone has had a shocker. If we are going to head down this path then we will be delisting the whole team for a poor year. Last year finals Byron was a major asset, if bloody Jeff Farmer is getting 3rd and 4th chances I dont see why Byron shouldnt for doing a lot less.

Last time I looked Jeff Farmer was not on the MFC list. I think he is finished anyway.

Byron had lost condition by Round 15 last year and was useless in the 2006 finals.

Just because alot of players have underperformed this year is no reason to avoid make the hard (in this case easy) decision to dispense with a player who has dramatically failed on every performance and team rule metric.

Last time I looked Jeff Farmer was not on the MFC list. I think he is finished anyway.

Byron had lost condition by Round 15 last year and was useless in the 2006 finals.

Just because alot of players have underperformed this year is no reason to avoid make the hard (in this case easy) decision to dispense with a player who has dramatically failed on every performance and team rule metric.

I dont remember saying he was on our list. I was just making a comparison sorry if it was too complicated for you.

Its unfair to judge on one crap year when everyone in the team has been crap. I think he deserves another year to give us something to compare him to, if he cant step up when the rest of the team is travelling a bit better then yes I will pack his bags for him

Biggest problem with Pickett this year has been his application. The loss of form has followed from that. He is not the only player to have played poorly this year but he has been a standout in lacking the professionalism expected of a senior player - particularly one on $300k a year.

I dont remember saying he was on our list. I was just making a comparison sorry if it was too complicated for you.

Its unfair to judge on one crap year when everyone in the team has been crap. I think he deserves another year to give us something to compare him to, if he cant step up when the rest of the team is travelling a bit better then yes I will pack his bags for him

The comparison was not valid in the first place. Farmer has burnt his bridges and been instrumental in the downfall of the coach. He is gone.

While MFC have been poor this year, how of those players has turned up fat and unfit, a poor attitude and upon not being selected in a side goes out on the booze in breach of team rules and cant be stuffed turning up to a game?

He has failed every metric handed to him this year. He is a senior player and has shown complete disregard for the team. He was line ball last year as well.

He could have been something special for MFC during his time and gave glimpsed.

He has profoundly cheated the players, the supporters and the Club.

Cant you see that?