2016 Rio Olympics

MadAsHell

New page so here's the schedule again ...

2 chances for medals in the rowing tonight whilst Jessica Fox in the slalom canoe/kayak & our men's team sprint in track cycling are also medal chances.  Our swimmers are involved in 3 finals tomorrow morning.

Special mention to Michael Phelps who swims for gold medal no.22 tomorrow morning as well (200 IM)

Daily schedule from NBC.com

Chronological summary, results & scheduling of each day of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki)

* * *  Denotes gold medal event

Thursday August 11th (evening)

7,00pm    Highlights program ............. In Rio Today (7hd/7)

9.30pm    Rowing ............................... Repechages & semi finals 

Men's quadruple sculls final - Australia (L3) (11.12pm) * * *

Women's quadruple sculls final (11.24pm) * * *

Men's coxless pair final - Australia (L5) (11.44pm) * * *

Women's double sculls final (12.04pm) * * *

Men's double sculls final (12.24pm) * * *

Men's lightweight coxless four final (12.44pm) * * *

11.20pm  Women's Waterpolo ........... Stingers vs Italy

11.55pm  Boxing ................................ Preliminary bouts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday August 12th (morning)

1.30am Canoe/Kayak ....................... Men's canoe double slalom S/F & Final * * *

Women's kayak single slalom - Jessica Fox S/F & Final * * *

2.00am  Swimming ............................ Heats

3.30am  Men's Rugby 7's .................. Men's semi finals x 2  

5.00am  Gymnastics .......................... Women's all-around final * * *

5.00am  Cycling (track) ...................... Qualifying Men's & Women's team pursuit

Men's team sprint finals - Australia (possibility) (7.21am) * * *

6.45am  Women's Basketball .......... Opals vs Japan

7.00am  Women's Hockey ............... Hockeyroos vs Argentina

7.30am   Men's Rugby 7's ................. Men's bronze medal match  * * *

8.00am   Men's Rugby 7's ................. Men's gold medal match  * * *

11.00am Swimming Finals 

Women's 200m breaststroke final - Taylor McKeown (L4) (11.17am) * * *

Men's 200m backstroke final - Mitch Larkin (L5) (11.26am) * * *

Men's 200m IM final - Michael Phelps (USA) (12.01pm) * * *

Women's 100m freestyle final - Bronte Campbell (L2), Cate Campbell (L4) (12.18pm) * * *  

Friday August 12th (evening)

7,00pm    Highlights program ............ In Rio Today (7hd/7)

9.30pm    Rowing .............................. Women's lightweight double sculls final (10.52pm) * * *

Men's lightweight double sculls final (11.04pm) * * *

Women's coxless four final (11.24pm) * * *

Men's coxless four final (11.44pm) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ..................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Women's 10,000m: final (12.10am) * * *

11.55pm   Boxing .............................. Preliminary bouts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday August 13th (morning)

2.00am  Women's Soccer ................. Matildas vs Brazil (quarter final)

2.00am   Swimming ........................... Heats

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs China

3.30am   Track & Field ....................... Men's 20km race walking final * * *

5.00am   Cycling (track) ..................... Women's team sprint finals (7.00am) * * *

Men's team pursuit finals (7.34am) * * *

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Heats, qualifying & prelinaries

Women's shot put: final (11.00am) * * *

9.30am    Men's Hockey .................... Kookaburras vs Brazil

11.10am  Men's Waterpolo ................ Sharks vs Serbia

11.00am   Swimming Finals

Women's 200m backstroke final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 100m butterfly final (11.12am) * * *

Women's 800m freestyle final (11.20am) * * *

Men's 50m freestyle final (11.44am)  * * *      

Great start to the morning with the Opals coming from 16 points down early in the last quarter to pinch a 6 point wkn over Japan. Liz Cambage with over 35 points, shooting 75% from the field.

And also the Hockeyroos gutsy 1-0 win over World Champs Argentina. That win should help ensure to avoid the dangerous Dutch in the quarter & semi final cross over.

Finally well done to Jess Fox on her bronze medal overnight.

• Like 1

Australia win silver in men’s quadruple sculls, beaten by Germany

“Germany are a very good crew, the best crew for eight years. We really believed we could turn it around today.’’ Karsten Forsterling said.

Though falling short of high expectations the quad can feel they left nothing on the table in their pursuit of gold.

Rio 2016: Jessica Fox wins Olympic bronze medal for Australia in K1 canoe slalom

"I think finishing that run I was thrilled to put down a run, it wasn't perfect but it went into the lead and that was fantastic," she said.

"I'm more motivated than ever, I'm the fittest I've been and I was the paddling the best I've ever been paddling," Fox said.

"So it's really encouraging, really motivating."

• Like 1

Another silver, this time to Mitch Larkin in the 200m backstroke. 

Looks like I was far to optimistic with my claiming at the least we could ge 8 gold by stumps tonight.... Lets hope one of the Campbell's can come through for me and at least get us up to 6!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Another silver, this time to Mitch Larkin in the 200m backstroke. 

Looks like I was far to optimistic with my claiming at the least we could ge 8 gold by stumps tonight.... Lets hope one of the Campbell's can come through for me and at least get us up to 6!

I really believe the media run with the 'favourite' tag way too hard. 

There are so many variables and the form-line is often dated or outdated.

That's my take anyway.

The fours are favourite tonight in the rowing and the times might indicate that but I've got the Brits as favourite ... of course I hope I'm horribly wrong     :-)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Might be another review for Australian swimming coming up.

Mitch Larkin world champ in 100 & 200m backstroke with results of 4th & 2nd

Emily Seebohm world champ in the same races = results of 7th & knocked out in semi finals

Cam McEvoy silver medalist in 100m freestyle in worldchamps with a finish of 7th here.

Cate Campbell world record holder in 100m freestyle and misses medals here.

Bronte Campbell world champ in 100m freestyle and misses medals here.

As far as the pool goes, with only two nights of comp left I can only see 3 more races I think we're a gold medal chance in. The womens 4 x 100m medly relay if (and big if) Seebohm & Cate Campbell can rediscover some form along with Emma McKeon with her butterfly. Cate Campbell to bounce back in the 50m freestyle and Mack Horton to hopefully win a spiteful 1500m freestyle.

Questions will asked I suspect despite the improvement from london.

Also worth noting that at london, despite only the 1 gold, our swimmers won 10 medals. So far at Rio, we've won 8.

• Like 1

Bit disappointing today but I still believe we're on track for 11-14 gold medals ... we might need our team sports to contribute 2 or 3 of those golds to get to that mark though.  There's still a lot to play out.

More medal chances tonight with our best chances being in the rowing & track cycling ... we may surprise in the other medal events that we're participating in.  

Chronological summary, results & scheduling of each day of the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wiki)

Friday August 12th (evening)

9.30pm    Rowing .............................. Women's lightweight double sculls final (11.32pm) * * *

Men's lightweight double sculls final (11.45pm) * * *

Women's coxless four final (12.06am) * * *

Men's coxless four final - Australia (L4) (12.27pm) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ..................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Women's 10,000m: final - Eloise Wellings (12.10am) * * *

11.55pm   Boxing .............................. Preliminary bouts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                     

Saturday August 13th (morning)

2.00am   Swimming ............................ Heats

3.15am   Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs China

3.30am   Track & Field * * * .............. Men's 20km race walking final - Dane Bird-Smith, Rhydian Cowley

5.00am   Cycling (track) * * * ............ Women's team sprint finals - Meares & Morton (possible) (7.00am)  

Men's team pursuit finals - Australia (7.34am) * * *

9.00am   Track & Field ........................ Heats, qualifying & prelinaries

Women's shot put: final (11.00am) * * *

9.30am    Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Brazil

11.00am  Women's Soccer ................ Matildas vs Brazil (quarter final)

11.10am  Men's Waterpolo ................. Sharks vs Serbia

11.00am   Swimming Finals

Women's 200m backstroke final - Belinda Hocking (L2) (11.03am) * * *

Men's 100m butterfly final (11.12am) * * *

Women's 800m freestyle final - Jess Ashwood (L7) (11.20am) * * *

Men's 50m freestyle final (11.44am)  * * *      

Saturday August 13th (evening)

9.30pm     Rowing .............................. Men's single sculls final (11.32pm) * * *

Women's single sculls final (11.45pm) * * *

Women's coxed eights final (12.06am) * * *

Men's coxed eights final (12.27am) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ...................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Men's discus final (11.50pm) * * *

11.00pm  Cycling (track) .................... Qualifying & repechages

11.55pm   Boxing ............................... Preliminary bouts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday August 14th (morning)

12.40am Women's Waterpolo ........... Stingers vs Brazil

1.15am   Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs Belarus

5.00am   Cycling (track) ..................... Women's team pursuit finals (6.07am) * * *

Womens keiren finals (6.33am) * * *  

9.30pm   Tennis .................................. Women's singles gold medal match  * * *

8.30am   Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Japan

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Men's long jump: final (9.50am) * * *

Men's 10,000m: final (10.25am) * * *

Women's 100m: final (11.35am) * * *       

Women's heptathlon 800m final discipline (11.53am) * * *

11.00am  Swimming ........................... Women's 50m freestyle final (11.03am) * * *

Men's 1500m freestyle final (11.11am) * * *

Women's 4 x 100m medley relay final (11.49am) * * *

Men's 4 x 100m medley relay final (12.04pm) * * *  

11.55am   Beach Volleyball (W) ......... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Poland (round of 16)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Love your optimism Macca. I do believe we are still capable of around 12 gold medals.

Bit to play out still. Especially in the pool for mine. Tomorrow morning i can't see us do anything more then two bronze medals at best. But sunday morning we have the opportunity to go out on a high.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Love your optimism Macca. I do believe we are still capable of around 12 gold medals.

Bit to play out still. Especially in the pool for mine. Tomorrow morning i can't see us do anything more then two bronze medals at best. But sunday morning we have the opportunity to go out on a high.

I've been giving this whole 'favourite' tag a lot of thought in the last few days and I'm wondering why I haven't questioned the whole process before (I have a habit of questioning systems, sporting myths and belief systems :ph34r:)

Every Olympics we have the same sorts of disappointments and absolute surprise victories - and we're not alone, most other prominent nations would experience the same phenomena.  Every Olympics.   A half-decent comparison is horse racing - I'm not a punter but I do know that 2/3rds of favourites don't win and about half don't run a place.

The form-line we've got in the Olympics is often quite old and out of date and we can't factor in the form of our competitors in an accurate way.  There's nothing like experience though, especially if that experience has won before (like the Geman crew in last night's quad sculls final)

3 days ago most people had never heard of Kyle Chalmers and he was certainly not the favourite going into the final even though he had a good lane.  Even his competitors wouldn't have known how much he was going to improve.  Multiply that by any amount of events and we end up with chaotic results - and very little 'order'

Now if we're talking about absolute champions like Michael Phelps - it's a different story.

I don't mind your view on things though TD ... it adds a bit of contrast to my 'It will be all right in the long run" type attitude :) It would be a dull old world if we all saw things the same way. 

• Like 1

It's been mentioned earlier but Mitch Larkin put up a fine performance in the 200m backstroke earlier today.  The Americans are having a great time of it though and Ryan Murphy proved too good for Mitch.

Rio 2016: Mitch Larkin claims Olympic silver medal in 200 metres backstroke

And you're right TD, the last day in the pool offers up 4 decent chances as opposed to tomorrow morning where we might snag a bronze or 2.  Unless of course we see another standout performance against the odds.

*n.b ... in the above schedule (post #133) the rowing finals times have been changed for tonight & I've edited the post accordingly.  The Matildas play Brazil at 11.00am tomorrow morning not at the earlier time that was scheduled.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Another silver in the rowing! Well done boys.

Kim Brennan likely are last chance for a gold in the rowing now. And another gold would be nice after the last 24 hours.....

• Like 1

Brave race by the mens pursuit team.

Although we now seem stuck in a loop of silver and bronze medals as a whole.

With the days competition at Rio drawing towards an end, we''ve now knly won 1 gold in the last 4 days of competition.

• Like 1

My expectations are vastly different and I get great joy out of any of our competitors getting amongst the medals ... it doesn't have to be gold.  2/3rds of all favourites don't win and only about 1/16th of the total of those who aren't favourites do win (if we work on a field of 12 competitors over 12 events)

We weren't favoured in any of the events last night and weren't able to provide an upset but again, we can't expect all our favoured competitors to win as a matter of course (based on the numbers) And then there are 'false-favourites' or those who don't deserve to be favourites. 

I gave Cate Cambpell a great chance to win but I never assumed Cate was going to win ... same goes for Seebohm, McEvoy & Larkin.  Not medaling is somewhat of an issue but again, the numbers tell us that nothing is assured.

I like playing percentages in sport and I like breaking down the vital numbers ... it's in the blood.  I've got a first cousin who was one of the leading bookmakers going around and he has only just recently retired.

Well done to our medalists overnight and good luck to the swimmers this morning :)

• Like 1

Brave effort by the Matildas, and going down 7-6 to Brazil on penalties is a shattering way to go. Especially when we had a kick to win it after having saved their 5th kick, we just needed to put our 5th away for the win. However not to be.

• Like 1

More medal chances in rowing, cycling, track & field and swimming tonight & tomorrow.  If we're going to get to at least 11-14 golds then we'll probably need at least 1 or 2 gold tonight.  Fingers crossed.   

Saturday August 13th (evening)

9.30pm     Rowing .............................. Men's single sculls final (11.32pm) * * *

Women's single sculls final - Kim Brennan (L3) (11.45pm) * * *

Women's coxed eights final (12.06am) * * *

Men's coxed eights final (12.27am) * * *

10.30pm  Track & Field ...................... Heats, qualifying & preliminaries

Men's discus final (11.50pm) * * *

11.00pm  Cycling (track) .................... Qualifying & repechages

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.40am Women's Waterpolo ........... Stingers vs Brazil

1.15am   Women's Basketball ........ Opals vs Belarus

4.00am   Tennis .................................. Women's singles gold medal match  * * *

5.00am   Cycling (track) ..................... Women's team pursuit finals - Australia (6.07am) * * *

Womens keiren finals - Meares, Morton (possible) (6.33am) * * * 

8.30am   Women's Hockey .............. Hockeyroos vs Japan

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Men's long jump: final - Fabrice Lapierre (9.50am) * * *

- Henry Frayne (9.50am) * * *

Men's 10,000m: final - Ben St Lawrence (10.25am) * * *

David MacNeill (10.25am) * * *

11.00am  Swimming ........................... Women's 50m freestyle final - Cate Campbell (L5) (11.03am) * * *

Bronte Campbell (L2) (11.03am) * * *

Men's 1500m freestyle final - Mack Horton (L6) (11.11am) * * *

Women's 4 x 100m medley relay final - Australia (L2)  (11.49am) * * *

Men's 4 x 100m medley relay final - Australia (L6) (12.04pm) * * *  

11.55am   Beach Volleyball (W) ......... Australia (Clancy & Bawden) vs Poland (round of 16)

Sunday August 14th (evening)

10.30pm  Track & Field ..................... Women's marathon final * * *

Men's light flyweight gold medal match  * * *                   

Monday August 15th (morning)

1.00am   Tennis ................................. Men's singles gold medal match  * * *

1.50am    Men's Waterpolo ................ Sharks vs Greece

2.00am    Sailing (final races) ............ Men's RS:X  * * *

Women's Laser RS:X * * *

3.00am    Gymnastics finals................ Men's floor * * *

Women's vault * * *

Men's pommel horse * * *

Women's uneven bars * * *

5.00am    Diving .................................. Women's 3m springboard final  * * *

5.00am    Cycling (track) ..................... Men's sprint finals (6.04am) * * *

7.00am    Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Netherlands (quarter final) 

8.00am    Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs Venezuela

9.00am    Track & Field ....................... Women's triple jump: final (9.55am) * * *

Men's 400m: final (11.00am) * * *

Men's 100m: final (11.25am) * * *

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Kim Brennan - what a fantastic performance! Gold!

Well that's a good start ...  more chances tonight especially Anna Meares in the keiren, Fabrice in the long jump and 4 realistic swimming chances.

• Like 1

Some results from last night ...

Women's basketball ... Opals 74 Belarus 66

Women's waterpolo ... Stingers 10 Brazil 3

Women's hockey ... Hockeyroos 2 Japan 0

Anna Meares won bronze in the keiren and our women's team pursuit team picked up silver.  Fabrice Lapierre is out of the long jump after failing to qualify for the last 8.  Henry Frayne however, is through to the final.

9.00am   Track & Field ....................... Men's long jump: final - Henry Frayne (9.50am) * * *

Men's 10,000m: final - Ben St Lawrence (10.25am) * * *

David MacNeill (10.25am) * * *

11.00am  Swimming ........................... Women's 50m freestyle final - Cate Campbell (L5) (11.03am) * * *

Bronte Campbell (L2) (11.03am) * * *

Men's 1500m freestyle final - Mack Horton (L6) (11.11am) * * *

Women's 4 x 100m medley relay final - Australia (L2)  (11.49am) * * *

Men's 4 x 100m medley relay final - Australia (L6) (12.04pm) * * *  

Sunday August 14th (evening)

10.30pm  Track & Field ..................... Women's marathon final * * *

Men's light flyweight gold medal match  * * *                   

Monday August 15th (morning)

1.00am   Tennis ................................. Men's singles gold medal match  * * *

1.50am    Men's Water polo ............... Sharks vs Greece

2.00am    Sailing (final races) ............ Men's RS:X  * * *

Women's Laser RS:X * * *

3.00am    Gymnastics finals................ Men's floor * * *

Women's vault * * *

Men's pommel horse * * *

Women's uneven bars * * *

5.00am    Diving .................................. Women's 3m springboard final  * * *

5.00am    Cycling (track) ..................... Men's sprint finals (6.04am) * * *

7.00am    Men's Hockey ..................... Kookaburras vs Netherlands (quarter final) 

8.00am    Men's Basketball ................. Boomers vs Venezuela

9.00am    Track & Field ....................... Women's triple jump: final (9.55am) * * *

Men's 400m: final (11.00am) * * *

Men's 100m: final (11.25am) * * *

• Like 1

Cate Campbell .08 of a second off a gold medal ...  .08 of a second equates to about 15 centimetres.  Magnussen lost the 100m freestyle in London by the width of a five cent piece (less than .01 of a second)

Let's keep it real.

Edited by Macca

Well that's a great silver ... we were never going to win gold in that relay so it's a fantastic performance.

Well done to the women's medley relay and well done to Cate Campbell for an outstanding last leg.