My 3 word player analysis V North Melbourne

joeboy

Sorry - I am with Saty on this - and had sympathy for all the backs last night who were beaten on the lead. What let us down yesterday was the ease that the ball came into their forward line. I don't care if it is Nahas or Peter Daicos - when the ball comes into the forward line so easily with no -one filling the hole - you are going to get cleaned up on the lead providing the kick comes in cleanly which it did.

I think one of the defenders mentioned in an interview previously said that the defense had been helped by the pressure the mids put on the balling coming into their defensive zone - that didnt happen for periods yesterday.

No need to apologise for differing opinions...

I agree with what you're saying to an extent - there were plenty of unplugged gaps for the forwards to lead into but there was nothing stopping Jetta putting on a bit of body early to stop his pace or put him off balance, instead of standing a few feet off him.

Sorry - I am with Saty on this - and had sympathy for all the backs last night who were beaten on the lead. What let us down yesterday was the ease that the ball came into their forward line. I don't care if it is Nahas or Peter Daicos - when the ball comes into the forward line so easily with no -one filling the hole - you are going to get cleaned up on the lead providing the kick comes in cleanly which it did.

I think one of the defenders mentioned in an interview previously said that the defense had been helped by the pressure the mids put on the balling coming into their defensive zone - that didnt happen for periods yesterday.

Thanks NB, that's why I watch the game from up in the top stand, a lot of supporters watch the end result rather than how it transpired, Nahas got one goal and a dodgy free kick, so soundly beaten is a bit strong, unfortunately the whole defence, our AA defender in Dunn, were made to look very ordinary yesterday

I don't have blind love for Nev Jetta, just a good understanding of footy and what it's like to be a small defender, except it was called back pocket when I played

Edited by Satyriconhome

Thanks NB, that's why I watch the game from up in the top stand, a lot of supporters watch the end result rather than how it transpired, Nahas got one goal and a dodgy free kick, so soundly beaten is a bit strong, unfortunately the whole defence, our AA defender in Dunn, were made to look very ordinary yesterday

I don't have blind love for Nev Jetta, just a good understanding of footy and what it's like to be a small defender, except it was called back pocket when I played

And I'm sure footy hasn't changed at all since you last played...

And I'm sure footy hasn't changed at all since you last played...

...let me think, stopping the other team from kicking between the big white sticks....no, not a lot, 22 players playing as a team....no not a lot, looking for scapegoats when your team loses....no, not a lot

Edited by Satyriconhome

Obvously watching different games, so you prefer holding free kicks, you can't put body on if he has acres of space to run into, I have spoken to most of the defence what they have actually enjoyed this year has been the pressure down the ground and the midfield and forwards getting back to plug holes, giving them to opportunity to work as a team, this is exactly what went wrong yesterday, listen to what Roos, Vince and Watts said, we had 22 individuals. For Nahas first goal he came from the other side of the 50 unhindered

Now where did I say holding him, he was given too much space to work in, some of it from Jetta himself and a lot of it from mids not getting back hard enough. You still need to be more accountable and can't rely on others to block the hole always.

To quote you "I said he can turn on a sixpence both ways, so you stay off him a bit and watch the movement" , Sorry but you just don't give him space and that's my point. I'm pretty sure that will come up in the player reviews today, you might want to ask Nev when you talk next.

I don't think Nev paid enough respect to Nahas early in the game. As you have stated previously he had to work defence first then bring attack into his game, yesterday he didn't get the balance right early in the game. On the whole I think he was far from our worst, I've enjoyed the way he's gone about his footy and really pleased to see him get a good run at it.

On another point, I thought it was good of Nev to call over the trainers as soon as he realised Nahas was in trouble.

Now where did I say holding him, he was given too much space to work in, some of it from Jetta himself and a lot of it from mids not getting back hard enough. You still need to be more accountable and can't rely on others to block the hole always.

To quote you "I said he can turn on a sixpence both ways, so you stay off him a bit and watch the movement" , Sorry but you just don't give him space and that's my point. I'm pretty sure that will come up in the player reviews today, you might want to ask Nev when you talk next.

I don't think Nev paid enough respect to Nahas early in the game. As you have stated previously he had to work defence first then bring attack into his game, yesterday he didn't get the balance right early in the game. On the whole I think he was far from our worst, I've enjoyed the way he's gone about his footy and really pleased to see him get a good run at it.

On another point, I thought it was good of Nev to call over the trainers as soon as he realised Nahas was in trouble.

So you didn't want Nev standing goal side then?, if you are playing the a team, you have to expect others to come back and block, that again is what went wrong yesterday

The umps are watching for holds, blocks etc. so assume the defenders have to be careful these days, unfortunately

I will ask Nev what his instructions were if I get the chance

Edited by Satyriconhome

No need to apologise for differing opinions...

I agree with what you're saying to an extent - there were plenty of unplugged gaps for the forwards to lead into but there was nothing stopping Jetta putting on a bit of body early to stop his pace or put him off balance, instead of standing a few feet off him.

You need to be goalside of your opponent when the ball is coming down.

If you are either to the left or the right you open up the other side for your opponent to lead into and you dont want to be in front as the ball will end up over your head. ( there is a difference in a stationary play - then you can stand in front of your opponent and watch to the spaces he might lead to)

The speed it was coming in always means that the defender is going to be caught behind and the mark is going to be simple unless the kick into your opponent is not perfect and gives you a chance or you have fantastic closing speed ( which Nev doesn't have) or your opponent has no leg speed at all (see Ben Brown who still took some in front - most small forwards will get you for speed).

The key is not to let them run unopposed into your defensive zone - we have done that pretty well to date - but not yesterday.

So you didn't want Nev standing goal side then?, if you are playing the a team, you have to expect others to come back and block, that again is what went wrong yesterday

The umps are watching for holds, blocks etc. so assume the defenders have to be careful these days, unfortunately

I will ask Nev what his instructions were if I get the chance

I think he got caught out a couple of times, it happens. I reckon one early he thought the ball was going to be out of bounds in the pocket (which it should have) and relaxed for just long enough to come unstuck.

As for standing goal side, whichever side he is on I would expect him to have touch with his opponent.

I reckon one early he thought the ball was going to be out of bounds in the pocket (which it should have) and relaxed for just long enough to come unstuck.

26,000 people at ground were caught out by that - why on Earth Ro Bail decided to hook that ball back in is beyond me.

I know you play to the whistle but that was a doozy of blunder. Within 10 seconds of the play I felt a massive wind fly past me. It was the runner going out to Bail with a message from the coach. I don't think the moment was lost on Roos.

As for standing goal side, whichever side he is on I would expect him to have touch with his opponent.

You can touch as much as you like - Nev is always going to need help on opponents with leg speed, the likes of Nahas.

Unless he drags or scrags him and gives away frees - he is going to get done on the lead.

You can touch as much as you like - Nev is always going to need help on opponents with leg speed, the likes of Nahas.

Unless he drags or scrags him and gives away frees - he is going to get done on the lead.

Agree with you 'nut', don't want to go on with it as I think Nev has been good and was good for a greater part of the game. Just an observation.

26,000 people at ground were caught out by that - why on Earth Ro Bail decided to hook that ball back in is beyond me.

I know you play to the whistle but that was a doozy of blunder. Within 10 seconds of the play I felt a massive wind fly past me. It was the runner going out to Bail with a message from the coach. I don't think the moment was lost on Roos.

Don't know why he brought it back in either.

...let me think, stopping the other team from kicking between the big white sticks....no, not a lot, 22 players playing as a team....no not a lot, looking for scapegoats when your team loses....no, not a lot

Jeez Sat, you're a tactical mastermind.