Cale Morton

I was right next to the bench on Saturday, and Cale was clearly the third tallest Melbourne Player. He looked quite a bit taller than Miller and Frawley, who are listed as 191 (it would not surprise me if Frawley is actually shorter than that) Watts and Jamar both looked taller than him (both about the same, Jamar listed at 198cm), so I would say he must now be about 195cm. Watts looks like he will carry more weight, Cale does not seem to have the body type, looked very thin in the limbs. I suspect he will not bulk up, and my struggle to fill a key position. However I think he will be an awesome wingman.

Well I see Miller listed at 194cm and Frawley listed at 193cm. So Frawley is unlikely to be shorter than 191cm. Jamar is indeed listed at 198cm, but Watts is listed at 196cm. So unless Watts has gained a bit of height (He is, after all, only 19years 2months) and looked taller than Morton (who is 20years 4 months and probably done growing) then Morton is unlikely to be taller than Miller of Frawley. It is always hard to make accurate comparisons unless you can get them standing back to back.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Thomo

Well I see Miller listed at 194cm and Frawley listed at 193cm. So Frawley is unlikely to be shorter than 191cm. Jamar is indeed listed at 198cm, but Watts is listed at 196cm. So unless Watts has gained a bit of height (He is, after all, only 19years 2months) and looked taller than Morton (who is 20years 4 months and probably done growing) then Morton is unlikely to be taller than Miller of Frawley. It is always hard to make accurate comparisons unless you can get them standing back to back.

Checked the MFC site, my figures are wrong you are correct.

However I do not believe the offical figures. Seeing Miller Frawley and Morton all standing next to each other about two metres away, Morton was clearly the tallest, Frawley was clearly the shortest. Joel MacDonald (188 on MFC list) and Frawley look to be the same height when standing next to eachother, Watts was clearly taller than both Miller and Morton, about the same height at Jamar.

I'm not sure how often the heights and weights of players are updated. I'd like to see an update at the start of each year. I know others say it makes no difference, but I like stats.

A-hem. Rpfc and I said to say hi, Dappa. :rolleyes:

Err, what?

It's been my understanding that Morton was drafted with him playing CHF very much in the mindset.

The MFC recruiting (albeit ex-recruting) and FD say hi too...

hear hear.

Aaah. I fear I may have mis-spoken. So my apologies in advance for what is going to sound like a back-pedal.

I should have said "no-one predicted in 2010." I don't think anyone had him in the side as a CHF at any stage this year. Certainly not with Jurrah, Watts, Petterd and a host of others next in line, and when Morton is so good in the role hes played already in his career.

But you're both right, I stuffed that one. In point of fact though, I've been on him for forward duties since I heard he hoped to play CHF early in his career. Assuming he puts weight on, I have hoped he could play some sort of high HF role for a LONG time.

I could argue all of these points Dappa. Cale has played more games because Masten has had more trouble getting on the field because of injury which will obviously show Morton averaging more disposals, kicking more goals etc etc. Being younger doesn't have anything to do with it but being skinnier and can, yes. Is he miles off his best though? A presumption yes. I could also say Masten is Miles off his best because he is injured and is also young.

Hence why I said "if you don't like stats."

Yes. All a matter of opinion. And as I stated above, I was picking up on the comparison between Morton and Masten being like Pavlich and Fiora. I think Morton has some thing's going for him dappa. But I also see a lot of flaws and all we can do is hope there will become less and less of them over the years. Stating that Morton has a better kick is ridiculous as well as stating Morton's best game has been better than Masten's.

Nope. Morton is a sensational kick. Will be one of the best for a 192cm player for years to come. On that there's no question. Unless you're Freak (the poster), in which case, good luck to you.

As for the Fiora/Pavlich thing... Aaah. I don't remember reading that, so I'll wear that one. Certainly Masten is no Fiora.

A ) You don't follow West Coast

Has nothing to do with anything. I'd know more about WC than most of their supporters anyway. Just like any club's supporters. If you live and breathe footy, you don't miss a club as big and successful as them, especially one who's drafted similarly in the last 3 years.

B ) You obviously haven't seen nearly as much of Masten as you have Morton.

Well that's hardly rocket science, you picking that. But I don't need to have seen as much. I'm talking opinion vs opinion here. I back it up with stats. I'm not going to watch EVERY game of EVERY player. Saying I can't make a comparison just because I don't support his club is way off.

You've reduced this to the typical place an educated poster goes. Trying to crowbar something into an opinion conversation to make yourself sound more legitimate. As have I in response.

I'm willing to call this one off in middle ground if you are. I missed the "Pavlich/Fiora" comparison in the OP somehow, so I'll give you that, and I understand your rebuttal on those terms. But I won't accept that Masten is ahead of Morton, or even on even ground. Masten has frustrated even his own supporters up until the last year or so of his career. Morton has done nothing but improve and improve. He's marginally ahead, but still ahead.

Oh, and I stand by my point that he'd be recruited ahead of Masten if any of the 16 AFL coaches had to pick between the two.

There are arguments for both sides and I think it's unfair to judge players like Morton and Masten this early in their careers.

True enough.

He's not eating enough if you ask me. Needs to get some protein into him. He is heaps slimmer than Mitch and Jarryd. But his build is similar to what Robbie Flowers was throughout his career (and probably today) so it's not necessarily detrimental

He's not eating enough if you ask me. Needs to get some protein into him. He is heaps slimmer than Mitch and Jarryd. But his build is similar to what Robbie Flowers was throughout his career (and probably today) so it's not necessarily detrimental

send him on holiday with aussie's folks....