Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

SK - 8/10 (6) since india (batted well but yet to make a big score) . Agree

MH - 1/10 (8) since india, unlikely to see sydney.Agree

RP - 5/10 (10) struggled since india. Just made a ton in the first innings but has struggled otherwise. Captaincy has been suspect.

MC - 6/10 (8) given his wicket away too often since india, showed a bit on the 1st day MCG. Scores over the past twelve months would suggest he has performed credibly.

AS - 2/10 (7) as above, no impact with ball. Agree but a harsh rating number. Has not bowled that much so unlikely to have impact

MH - 2/10 (9) out of sorts. If AS is a 2 then Hussey hardly gets a 1!

BH - 7/10 (5) serviceable. Once finding his feet he has been outstanding with bat and gloves. If he continues this form he could almost cover Gilly.

BL - 1/10 (8) has struggled, maybe injured since before india? He is accountable for his performances. At 33 and injured, I think it might be over for him

MJ - 6/10 (6) one great spell and has not had the impact outside of this. Leading wicket taker in India, leading wicket taker against NZ, Leading wicket taker against SA..... :rolleyes:

NH - 3/10 (4) taken a few but no real impact. Limited to containment and wont tear through batting line ups.

PS - 3/10 (4) no impact in perth but better in melbourne. Third test at 24 and he has broken through. Good future.

Absolutely agree.

Symonds - Completely agree with Graz. Needed to make an impact with the bat. Gets the start then throws it away. Needs a big innings today or its over. His injury does not help either. Watson does not excite as his bowling and batting is wooden and his fitness is a real concern.

Great Post RR, Cannot fault your logic here except due to lees injury can't see symonds being dropped for sydney but I would like to see this happen.

Which australian side would have been the last one to have had this type pressure on it on home soil? I'm thinking back to the 80's when the Kiwi's rolled us.

Great Post RR, Cannot fault your logic here except due to lees injury can't see symonds being dropped for sydney but I would like to see this happen.

Which australian side would have been the last one to have had this type pressure on it on home soil? I'm thinking back to the 80's when the Kiwi's rolled us.

I was thinking the 80's against NZ.

I think if Symonds fails today then Sydney might be his last Test.....if he get another one.

I think if Symonds fails today then Sydney might be his last Test.....if he get another one.

Thats my thinking as well. the selectors will take a "safe" approach for sydney and not make too many changes. if both symonds and hayden fail today hayden will be the unlucky one but if he makes runs and symonds fails he is out. Adds a bit of interest into today's proceedings.

But watch out for the ash's tour it will be one of the least experienced squads we have had in a long time.

Hayden, ML c: Duminy b: Steyn 23

I think Hayden has just beaten symonds to it. the only thing that will save hayden now is announce his retirement for the end of the series and have symonds out inj for sydney!

MC - 6/10 (8) given his wicket away too often since india, showed a bit on the 1st day MCG. Scores over the past twelve months would suggest he has performed credibly. - I think the 1st innings could have been a turning point for clark. Working as hard as he did to then come out the next morning and find it easy. Lets hope he has just stepped up.

AS - 2/10 (7) as above, no impact with ball. Agree but a harsh rating number. Has not bowled that much so unlikely to have impact - He is in the side as the allrounder therefore by not bowling he has achieved only half the maximum he could have. Being that he has had a limited impact with the bat I then rated him being 50% effective.

MH - 2/10 (9) out of sorts. If AS is a 2 then Hussey hardly gets a 1! - I thought was OK against NZ in the 1st test?

MJ - 6/10 (6) one great spell and has not had the impact outside of this. Leading wicket taker in India, leading wicket taker against NZ, Leading wicket taker against SA..... :rolleyes: are you sure RR................. or is it :wub: ?? LOL!!

AS - 2/10 (7) as above, no impact with ball. Agree but a harsh rating number. Has not bowled that much so unlikely to have impact - He is in the side as the allrounder therefore by not bowling he has achieved only half the maximum he could have. Being that he has had a limited impact with the bat I then rated him being 50% effective.

MH - 2/10 (9) out of sorts. If AS is a 2 then Hussey hardly gets a 1! - I thought was OK against NZ in the 1st test?

Isn't up to the Captain to bowl him? You can only take wickets if you are given the ball to bowl?

MJ - 6/10 (6) one great spell and has not had the impact outside of this. Leading wicket taker in India, leading wicket taker against NZ, Leading wicket taker against SA..... :rolleyes: are you sure RR................. or is it :wub: ?? LOL!!

Just dealing in the facts.......

17 wickets in India

14 wickets against NZ.

12 wickets so far against SA

BTW, I reckon Siddle has the making of a good fast bowler.

Hussey given out when the ball came clearly off his helmet.

The sooner the referral comes in the better.

Absolutely. The sooner these regrettable human errors are erased from the game the better.

I cant wait till a Test Match/ Series is "decided" by a dubious disasterous decision.

Absolutely. The sooner these regrettable human errors are erased from the game the better.

I cant wait till a Test Match/ Series is "decided" by a dubious disasterous decision.

RR you may have already had your wish - Series is "decided", Hayden and now Hussey. Could have drawn the 1st test and the way we are going in the second the test could be over by this time tomorrow.

In this day and age I just can't understand why this was not in yrs ago. Have some sort of heafty penalty if the challenge is not upheld though. eg -20 runs! or if >2 turned down captain sits out the next game just to stop time wasting.

Isn't up to the Captain to bowl him? You can only take wickets if you are given the ball to bowl?

Thats assuming he is fit to bowl which clearly he is not. Therefore is it symonds claiming he is fit thats to blame or the selectors that are at fault? The captain can only direct the cattle he has on the park.

RR you may have already had your wish - Series is "decided", Hayden and now Hussey. Could have drawn the 1st test and the way we are going in the second the series could be over by this time tomorrow.

In this day and age I just can't understand why this was not in yrs ago. Have some sort of heafty penalty if the challenge is not upheld though. eg -20 runs! or if >2 turned down captain sits out the next game just to stop time wasting.

The series has been decided because South Africa are streets ahead of Australia in this series in all facets. You would need about 15 bad decisions in Australia's favour to even it. We at risk of losing the series 3-0.

Thats assuming he is fit to bowl which clearly he is not. Therefore is it symonds claiming he is fit thats to blame or the selectors that are at fault? The captain can only direct the cattle he has on the park.

If he is not fit to bowl then he would not have been selected as an all rounder. From comments on ABC cricket he was selected to bat six only. He was not required much against NZ. And the skipper bowled Krejza to force a result in Perth.

And you are right the captain can only direct the cattle he has on the park and he did not bowl Symonds and therefore I cant see how Symonds has necessarily failed with the ball. :wacko:

Also, why does this plonker Harris have to do a little jump and throw his arms in the air every single time after he delivers the ball? Even when he gets smashed for 4 he thinks it was close to going out.

He is definately in the Ashley Giles school of plonkers.

Harris takes wickets and actually turns the ball. Can bat a bit too. I am starting to warm to Harris. Made a few Australian batsman look like beach cricketers.

The series has been decided because South Africa are streets ahead of Australia in this series in all facets. You would need about 15 bad decisions in Australia's favour to even it. We at risk of losing the series 3-0.

Fair call, but who knows we could be getting too far ahead of ourselves. Clark and Pointing are still both in and could easily be a part of setting a winning target. Just need the bowlers to step up.

Fair call, but who knows we could be getting too far ahead of ourselves. Clark and Pointing are still both in and could easily be a part of setting a winning target. Just need the bowlers to step up.

Love your Optimism.

Its like climbing K2 one day then climbing Everest the very next day!!!

I have more faith in Clark and Punter to have a stand then be able to set a defendable total and to get 10 wickets with only 3 front line bowlers Johnson (15 tests or so), Siddle (3 tests), Hauritz (3 tests).

Maybe the pitch plays low and Roy takes 7 wickets bowling on one leg. :o:P

Yesterday would have to go down as one of Australia's worst days in a test of the last twenty years. I blame not only the selectors, but in some measure Ponting as well who obviously has some degree of influence. I love him as a batsman, but as a captain he's about as imaginative as the vegetarian alternative at a steak house. The problem obviously is in picking players that are basically not fit and not in form. Nothing has been done to enhance Brett Lee's career or Australia's chances of winning by hoping he'd last in this test and magically find form. Andrew Symonds was a gamble, both because of his knee and that he bats like a millionaire, the only way he'll ever make a big score is if the opposition keep grassing the chances that he regularly provides. Watson unfortunately doesn't make runs and is always injured anyway. I'd rather pick an in-form batsman.

While Duminy was a forced change (and to a lesser extent Siddle), we should learn from it, Give the young blood a chance and they might surprise. I'm not calling for whole changes but 2-3 new faces.

Hayden should've retired after NZ. Auustralia needs to make the decision for him. Philip Hughes is NSW blahblah but i won't be unhappy seeing him play.

I have confidence in Katich, Ponting, and Clarke coming out to bat. Hussey is struggling big time but I'm backing him.

Symonds shouldn't have played at all this summer. Either bring in a legit batsman or a bowling allrounder.

IMO Doug Bollinger, P Siddle and MJohnson is a good attack with Sclark out. I would actually prefer 4 prong pace attack with Hifenhaus then Hauritz and MClarke and DHussey to tweak a few.

5/145......

Good bye Matthew Hayden.

Good bye Andrew Symonds

Rest up Brett Lee.

My ins......Hilfenhaus, Hughes (although Klinger has claims) and I think they will give Watson a last chance to do something to prove he belongs as either a batsman or bowler.

Dale Steyn has has a terrific year and finished it with a real bang. Outstanding.

Full credit to Punter. Under alot of pressure and he has stood up where others have withered. A test and a touch of class.

I hope he gets the back to back hundreds and I hope Haddin stays with him.

My ins......Hilfenhaus, Hughes (although Klinger has claims) and I think they will give Watson a last chance to do something to prove he belongs as either a batsman or bowler.

Might be my biased Vic views coming through, but I think Dirk Nannes is a real dark horse to get a game. Hilfenhaus and Bollinger are ahead of him on paper but having a bloke who is capable of anything in the side, I'm not sure if he even knows where he is bowling it sometimes but with a new pill could well bring something that we have not seen from an aussie paceman in a while - a bit of mongrel!

How good would it be to see smith like this!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...07-2882,00.html

Klinger has to be given a chance or the selectors are kidding themselves. You can't select a kid that has made a couple of good knocks into the test side. Klinger is the highest run scorer and like katich should be given his opportunity. If not what sort of message will the selectors be sending to the nation again! Surely being that he no longer plays for victoria he is a better chance :unsure:

Full credit to Punter. Under alot of pressure and he has stood up where others have withered. A test and a touch of class.

Well said!

Might be my biased Vic views coming through, but I think Dirk Nannes is a real dark horse to get a game. Hilfenhaus and Bollinger are ahead of him on paper but having a bloke who is capable of anything in the side, I'm not sure if he even knows where he is bowling it sometimes but with a new pill could well bring something that we have not seen from an aussie paceman in a while - a bit of mongrel!

You forget Shaun Tate.

Nannes is 31 and a wild card. The difference between his best and worst is wide and he is too much a risk for where Australia is at the moment. Hilfenhaus moves the ball to slips to the right hander and was in the Melbourne 13. Bollinger is on his home ground. I would favour Hilfenhaus.

Klinger has to be given a chance or the selectors are kidding themselves. You can't select a kid that has made a couple of good knocks into the test side. Klinger is the highest run scorer and like katich should be given his opportunity. If not what sort of message will the selectors be sending to the nation again! Surely being that he no longer plays for victoria he is a better chance :unsure:

Klinger is in the mix. For the record, many of Australia's top cricketers have been selected ahead of proven performances. I have not seen Hughes bat but he comes with big raps. He is a chance on his home ground. Selection is not just a matter of most runs scored and best averages otherwise you could just have a monkey with a calculator calling the shots. Up until recently the selectors have got it pretty right with the teams. However it has been somewhat easier to build a team around a core of McGrath, Warne, Ponting, Gilly.

Klinger has to be given a chance or the selectors are kidding themselves. You can't select a kid that has made a couple of good knocks into the test side. Klinger is the highest run scorer and like katich should be given his opportunity. If not what sort of message will the selectors be sending to the nation again! Surely being that he no longer plays for victoria he is a better chance

Klinger has played half a season of decent cricket, and you want him in the test team? Players like Rogers, David Hussey and Hodge have dominated at state and county level for years, and deserve a place ahead of Klinger. In my opinion, Klinger's not up to test standard. Stonewalling against state attacks is not the credentials of a test player. Katich was recalled to the test team because he came out of his shell, and started dominating state attacks.

Since losing to the Poms in 2005, the selectors have tried to manufacture an allrounder, and have picked Symonds and Watson when form hasn't warranted selection. I get the impression that Ponting has had a big say in their selection.