Jack Jack

Celebrating.... Like A Bosh!

heatmenageatrois_medium.gif

You've kept us entertained with those clips from SB NATION ! Classic .

Well done to the Heat - I think they were my original pick ! :blink: Nah , in all seriousness , they were deserved winners and made all the big plays when it counted . OKC should bounce back next year but there are no guarantees in any sport hey ?

It's been nearly 2 months of playoffs - I'm all NBA'd out !

Well done to King James - the Americans will need another "They haven't done it yet' type sportsperson or team . Where will the 'Heat' be focused on now !?

Edited by Macca

• 2 weeks later...

The big news today, in only the second day of free agency, is that Atlanta has agreed to trade Joe Johnson to Brooklyn. I'm not sure if it's a great move for Brooklyn, they haven't had to give up much (well they gave up a lot of players, but not of much value, guards Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and DeShawn Stevenson and forwards Jordan Williams and Johan Petro, along with a draft pick Brooklyn received from Houston in a prior deal). But taking on Joe Johnson's contract is no small thing ($90 million over 4 years).

Brooklyn have agreed to a 4 year $40 million deal with Gerald Wallace and are waiting on Deron Williams to make his decision on where he'll sign (apparently it's between Brooklyn and Dallas)

Clippers traded out Mo Williams to Utah and brought in Lamar Odom from Dallas. The Clips would be hoping that Lamar's year at Dallas was an aberration, as they could lose Chris Paul as a free agent at the end of the year if things seriously go haywire.

The big news today, in only the second day of free agency, is that Atlanta has agreed to trade Joe Johnson to Brooklyn. I'm not sure if it's a great move for Brooklyn, they haven't had to give up much (well they gave up a lot of players, but not of much value, guards Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar and DeShawn Stevenson and forwards Jordan Williams and Johan Petro, along with a draft pick Brooklyn received from Houston in a prior deal). But taking on Joe Johnson's contract is no small thing ($90 million over 4 years).

Brooklyn have agreed to a 4 year $40 million deal with Gerald Wallace and are waiting on Deron Williams to make his decision on where he'll sign (apparently it's between Brooklyn and Dallas)

Clippers traded out Mo Williams to Utah and brought in Lamar Odom from Dallas. The Clips would be hoping that Lamar's year at Dallas was an aberration, as they could lose Chris Paul as a free agent at the end of the year if things seriously go haywire.

Excellent wrap-up JJ . Keep 'em coming .

How long is the 'Free Agency' window opened for ? I heard that players can't officially move until July 11 - is this true ?

The Johnson deal today is a good example of the changing face of trading and list management in the NBA and in sport over the past few years. Traditionally, you don't want to give up a dollar coin for bits of shrapnel totalling $1, but what Danny Ferry has done here is take on a bunch of mediocre guys with contracts that expire after the 2012/13 season. They'll no doubt be hoping that with a stack of money available at that time they'll be able to land one or both of Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. From what I've read, the Nets must have been sure they had no chance of landing Howard before making the deal, because this eliminates them from Howard contention, given Johnson's huge contract. Interesting times.

How long is the 'Free Agency' window opened for ? I heard that players can't officially move until July 11 - is this true ?

Free Agency opens on July 1, but no one can officially sign for the first 10 days. I think they can sign free agents up until a month or so before the playoffs start. Something like that anyway?

The Johnson deal today is a good example of the changing face of trading and list management in the NBA and in sport over the past few years. Traditionally, you don't want to give up a dollar coin for bits of shrapnel totalling $1, but what Danny Ferry has done here is take on a bunch of mediocre guys with contracts that expire after the 2012/13 season. They'll no doubt be hoping that with a stack of money available at that time they'll be able to land one or both of Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. From what I've read, the Nets must have been sure they had no chance of landing Howard before making the deal, because this eliminates them from Howard contention, given Johnson's huge contract. Interesting times.

I've been reading that Brooklyn are still trying to land Howard. Something along the lines of trading Brook Lopez and 3 first round picks (2013 to 2015 or 2014 to 2016) and they'd take on Turkogu's contract too (I think he's owed $24 odd million over the next 2 years). Not sure how they'd make up the rest of the salaries to trade and I don't think they could consummate the trade until December (Something to do with Lopez's restricted free agent contract?). Should be interesting to see what pans out.

Edited by Jack Jack

I've been reading that Brooklyn are still trying to land Howard. Something along the lines of trading Brook Lopez and 3 first round picks (2013 to 2015 or 2014 to 2016) and they'd take on Turkogu's contract too (I think he's owed $24 odd million over the next 2 years). Not sure how they'd make up the rest of the salaries to trade and I don't think they could consummate the trade until December (Something to do with Lopez's restricted free agent contract?). Should be interesting to see what pans out.

Thanks Jack. I don't have the time or inclination to sift through Brooklyn's salary details, but I'd be utterly stunned to the point of heart attack if they could fit Howard, Williams, Johnson, Wallace and Turkoglu under the cap. They'd be up for close to $100M a year right there on those 5 players.

Yeah, seems pretty incredible, at this stage it's just hearsay and rumour, but there's quite a few articles kicking around about it (some with and without Turk involved).

SB Nation's article

Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and three first-round picks to Orlando in exchange for the three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

If it panned out they'd basically only have 4 players left on their roster, Williams, Howard, Johnson and Wallace and their payroll would stand at around $70 million. Would be a pretty imposing team.

Other reports are saying that Jason Kidd will sign where ever Williams signs.

Early days still so anything could happen.

Deron Williams has just announced he's re-signing with the Nets.

Portland has offered Pacers free agent Roy Hibbert a max deal. He's a restricted free agent so Indiana has the opportunity to keep him if they match the deal. But they've apparently been in talks with Chris Kaman, so they may think a max deal for Hibbert is over the top.

Toronto has offered Steve Nash a 3 year $36 million deal.

Kevin Garnett has agreed to re-sign with the Celtics for a 3 year $33 million deal (or there abouts).

There's a team considering offering Eric Gordan a max deal. But I think the Hornets want to keep him and will match any offer.

NBA free agency is crazy, so much is going on, still another week before anyone can officially sign.

• Like 1

NASH A LAKER!!

Very excited about this. We've used the Odom traded player exception to absorb his $27M contract and sent Phoenix our 2013 and 2015 first round picks and 2013 and 2014 second round picks. We won't attempt to re-sign Sessions now. Attention turns to Howard.

NASH A LAKER!!

Very excited about this. We've used the Odom traded player exception to absorb his $27M contract and sent Phoenix our 2013 and 2015 first round picks and 2013 and 2014 second round picks. We won't attempt to re-sign Sessions now. Attention turns to Howard.

Wow ! That is big news 'pantaloons' . I've been a huge Nash fan ever since I saw him at the Sydney Olympics . And he's the only real reason that I have leant towards Phoenix in the past .It was only a day or so ago that he was possibly Toronto bound .

What to do now ? LA ? Spurs ?

One thing is for sure , he'll make a big difference at the Lakers .

That's a big move by LA. Nash should make a huge improvement to the team.

I'm reading that there could be a huge 4 team trade soon, Dwight to Brooklyn is still well and truly on the cards.

It looks as though the Nets have given up on a Howard trade (at least for the time being). They've agreed to a max 4 or 5 year deal with Brook Lopez. Once he signs he can't be dealt until December.

Still it's a pretty decent team they've assembled so far for their Brooklyn debut. Not quite a big 3, more like a big 2.5 in Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace.

Brook Lopez knows how to score, if he can improve his defensive skills it would help the team out no end. And retaining Kris Humphries will certainly help the defensive side of things too.

Signing power forward Teletovic from Europe adds another scorer to the team, not sure on his defensive skills, but he looks good.

And is it possible to not like Steve Nash. He's a Star Wars fan, can it get any better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo9rm3QmqRU

And on top of it all Big Baby is doing what he loves most of all, eating (actually I don't know if that's true, I'm just guessing by his physique). Only this time he's doing it on TV as a guest judge on Master Chef US. Not only did he get to showcase his refined palate but he got wow everyone with his fashion skillz (Yellow shirt for the win!).

bigbabyburger_medium.gif

bigbabyfood2_medium.gif

bigbabyfood_medium.gif

• Like 1

And it looks like the Mavs will amnesty Brendan Haywood. I doubt he'll clear waivers (any team under the luxury tax threshold gets to bid on him) and will be picked up somewhere, otherwise there's talk of him going to Miami, as if they need the help.

Miami have picked up Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis.

Brandan Roy is back in the league, signing with the Timberwovles. Nice to see.

And another few amnesties to add to the list. Luis Scola from the Rockets and Elton Brand from Philly.

And another few amnesties to add to the list. Luis Scola from the Rockets and Elton Brand from Philly.

Houston going all out for Dwight. Smart thinking. Mediocrity is death in the NBA, and while they've been very honest for years, the Rockets are never going to win another championship until they get some superstar talent on the roster. They've gutted the roster in preparation for Howard. If he goes there, then it's mission accomplished and they build around him. If he doesn't go there, then they stink it up for a season and wind up with a top 3 pick and plenty of salary cap space.

Edited by pantaloons

Yeah is certainly makes sense for Houston to clear their books. They need a marquee player. But they'd be taking a huge risk trading for Howard as there'd be no guarantee he'd sign an extension. The Dwightmare continues.

The Mavericks claim Elton Brand off amnesty waivers. Traded in Darren Collison from Indiana and may make a play for Scola off amnesty waivers. I think they're doing pretty well after moving on from missing out on Deron Williams.

I think I read somewhere that the Timberwolves had amnestied Darko Milicic.

Still a lot happening.

Patty Mills has re-signed with the Spurs. Good news, well done Patty.

Yeah , great news for Patty . I liked Popovich's endorsement as well .

And for the latest news re Dwight ...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/lakers-magic-cavs-talk-deal-that-would-send-howard-to-la/1#.UAJJDPXDB-w

Yeah , great news for Patty . I liked Popovich's endorsement as well .

And for the latest news re Dwight ...

http://content.usato.../1#.UAJJDPXDB-w

Pantaloons would be beside himself if that happened.

Between Kobe, Dwight & Gasol they'd be right up to the limit for the luxury tax, but if you've got an owner willing to spend I guess it's no obstacle.

Interesting article on Linsanity, Knicks and the same problem, luxury tax.

Lin's Future Cloudy

LA fans are excited to have Nash on board. They've given him a warm welcome (or at least a warm beer anyway!).

Pantaloons would be beside himself if that happened.

Ha! Look, I don't see a Howard to LA trade happening, and while it could be great for us, I think right now our bench is a more pressing need. We've probably got the league's best starting lineup and worst bench right now. Need to re-sign Hill and add another couple of quality role players if we're going to go anywhere. It was reported Antawn Jamison was signed by LA today but that proved premature. Could be imminent though.

OJ Mayo is off to Dallas. The Mavs have recovered reasonably well when it looked like they were about to fall off the face of the planet.

Yep, the Mavs have done well so far, and I don't think they're finished.

Brooklyn has re-signed Humphries to a 2 year $24 million contract. They must be over the luxury tax threshold already? This season they've got Williams (about $18 mill) Johnson (about $20 mill) Wallace (about $10 mill) Humphries (about $12 mill) and Lopez (about $14 mill) as their starters. Then they recruited CJ Watson, Teletovic, Reggie Evans plus whoever was already under contract (Marshon Brooks). They'll be in the top 5 for payroll in the first season at Brooklyn. They'd want to do well.

Knicks have already lost Landry Fields to the Raptors (I think it was around $20 million over 3 years), and now possible Linsanity to Houston. He was offered $25 million over 3 years, $5 million per year over the first 2 years and then the poison pill $15 million third year. Pretty good coin for someone who's only started around 20-25 games. Knicks have got another day (?) to decide whether they are going to match the offer and retain Lin.

• 4 weeks later...

Dwightmare finally over. Howard dealt to the Lakers...............................Allegedly.

I'm picturing pantaloons reaction to hearing the news as something like this.

creepy-smile-o.gif

Wow . Big news if it comes off . LA will be hard to beat if this comes to fruition

Dwightmare finally over. Howard dealt to the Lakers...............................Allegedly.

I'm picturing pantaloons reaction to hearing the news as something like this.

creepy-smile-o.gif

Hahahaha! Seriously, where do people find these memes? Classic.

Yes, absolutely thrilled with the trade. It's been an incredible offseason from lakers GM Mitch Kupchak. Well over the cap and with next to no wiggle room, to get Howard and Nash for three first round picks and Bynum, as well as Jamison for less than 10% of what he earned last season and re-signing Hill for well under minnesota's offer, is insane. Yes, they all chose to play for the Lakers, but it's still got to be pulled off, so kudos to him. Massive stuff.