NHL

Good Times Grimes

Flames v Canucks, 2 seconds into the game a full line brawl. Canucks coach going nuts, tries to get into the other teams liner room during the first period break. Nuts. I don't get the fighting in hockey, it doesn't make sense to me...

But how good is Tortorella:

I'm in two minds with it...I hate fighting like there was in the game tonight (completely staged), but I do think that without it there would be a lot more cheap shots/dirty plays.

At least you know Torts has your back as the coach. Here is hoping Flames win in OT on a poor call just so we can see an amazing press conference. It will be his last for a few games...

15 day suspension for Tortorella, $25,000 fine for Hartley. I feel for Torts in this situation. If he'd put his usual starters on the ice after having seen who Calgary was starting and the Sedins had been jumped, he would be under all sorts of scrutiny. Instead, he decided to protect his star players and counter Hartley's move. No matter how he played it, it was really a lose-lose situation for him as Hartley had played the first move and indicated Calgary's intentions.

I wonder what the situation would have been had Torts not tried to get into the Calgary rooms. Would he have been fined as much as Hartley? Would either of them have been fined at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Well now the NFL is over time to concentrate back on the hockey. Avs still hanging around and all but assured of a play off spot. How much damage they can do is a different story.

Plenty of goals has been the theme of the season to date, plenty for and plenty against. While Varlamov looks like a top line met minder the rest of the D lets him get to many looks at a puck.

We can score plenty on our night but look to still be a year or two from serious contention. Here is hoping the rest of the season is fun and we can maybe get close to a first round play off win that would show some real development.

Edited by Cards13
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're getting to the pointy end of the season and it's not looking good for my Canucks. We'd probably have to win at least 7 of our remaining 9 games to have any chance. Some tough games in there as well :mellow:

Meanwhile, the Sharks look safe whilst the Avs should make it. The Leafs are in the wild-card spot right now but it's a tight tussle for spots. Boston, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Chicago and Anaheim are all well placed. Playoffs are about 3 weeks away.

... Standings ... and here's some highlights from the game held today between the Red Wings and Minnesota

Edited by Macca

With the wacky new playoff format, it's imperative that the Sharks get the division title so as to avoid LA in the first round. Whatever happens though, we need someone to knock out Chicago. We could probably eliminate or be eliminated by every playoff team in the West with varying degrees of likelihood except Chicago. They're that good and they're one of the few teams that can consistently deny San Jose the puck and limit our scoring chances, two strengths of ours that usually see us dominate games for great stretches.

So there's no crossover between divisions in the 1st round of the playoffs unless the wild-card with the least points is in a different division to the division winner with the most points. (in each conference)

I've re-read the above back a few times and it's about as clear as mud.

Anyway, this link explains it a bit better. The way I read it, the 2nd and 3rd seeds in each division play each other in the 1st round of the playoffs. And the other match-ups are dependent on the least and most points gained by the division winners and wild-card teams. In that situation, there can be crossover games.

As an example, as it stands right now, the Avs would be up against Chicago in the 1st round of the playoffs.

It is really tough for the Western teams this year as they seem to be so much better than the majority of the Eastern teams. THis makes it tough for one of the top Western teams who will be eliminated int he first round but that's playoffs.

The Avs best chance would be facing the Hawks I think, they have beaten them the last 2 or 3 times they have played and looked really good matching up against them. It has been a good year but I am really expecting things to progress over the next 1 to 2 years for the AVs where they will be able to sustain a full season and playoff run as they mature.

• 3 weeks later...

The Leafs are so much like the Dees :(

And the Canucks are like St Kilda (although the Saints have at least won a premiership)

All the same, I'm looking forward to the playoffs. What are your thoughts on St Louis and who is your team to win the whole thing? I reckon there's any number of teams who could win the Stanley cup but maybe Boston?

Minnesota could cause a few headaches and they've finished the season off well ... however, at this stage, it looks like they might be matched up against the Avs or the Blues in the first round (unless Anaheim lose the overall 1 seed in the West)

As for our teams, there's always next year!

And the Canucks are like St Kilda (although the Saints have at least won a premiership)

All the same, I'm looking forward to the playoffs. What are your thoughts on St Louis and who is your team to win the whole thing? I reckon there's any number of teams who could win the Stanley cup but maybe Boston?

Minnesota could cause a few headaches and they've finished the season off well ... however, at this stage, it looks like they might be matched up against the Avs or the Blues in the first round (unless Anaheim lose the overall 1 seed in the West)

As for our teams, there's always next year!

I think St Louis has a pretty solid team, but I can't see them getting past the likes of Anaheim or even Chicago. Minnesota has an awesome offensive lineup and they will go as far as their goaltending can take them..they could definitely be the surprise packet of 2014. Pominville, Parise, Koivu, Heatley, Moulson and Suter all have the ability to put up big numbers and will be tough to stop.

In the East I think it's a two horse race between Boston and Pittsburgh. I'd like to see Boston lose as early as possible. A best case scenario would be seeing them squander a 4-1 lead in game 7 with 10 minutes to go (I'm not bitter about last year).

As for who I'd like to win, I admire the way that Colorado has played this season, especially after most people gave them no chance in October. I also wouldn't mind seeing Columbus do well, just because they've been so bad for so long.

Hopefully it's an exciting couple of months with a few surprises!

• Like 1

Here are the playoff match-ups after today's final games in the regular season ... for what it's worth, my tips are in dark italics.

The playoffs start on Thursday AEST (Montreal @ Tampa Bay, Columbus @ Pittsburgh and Dallas @ Anaheim kick things off)

Eastern Conference

Metropolitan Division

No. 1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. WC1 Columbus Blue Jackets
No. 2 New York Rangers vs. No. 3 Philadelphia Flyers

Atlantic Division

No. 1 Boston Bruins vs. WC2 Detroit Red Wings
No. 2 Tampa Bay Lightning vs. No. 3 Montreal Canadiens

Western Conference Pacific Division

No. 1 Anaheim Ducks vs. WC2 Dallas Stars
No. 2 San Jose Sharks vs. No. 3 Los Angeles Kings

Central Division

No. 1 Colorado Avalanche vs. WC1 Minnesota Wild
No. 2 St. Louis Blues vs. No. 3 Chicago Blackhawks

It's fairly wide open as usual with a lot of the big guns in there again. Boston/Detroit looks a good match-up along with San Jose/L.A and St Louis/Chicago. Colorado/Minnesota is another interesting duel. Montreal are in with a shot.

In my opinion, we are guaranteed to have 2 of the top 4 teams in the NHL knocked out in the first round (losers of the STL-Chi and SJ/LA series. I'm happy the wacky system keeps us away from the only team I really fear in Chicago, but LA is a great team. We've finally got our forwards healthy, with Hertl returning two games ago and Torres set to go in Game 1. It's a must that Pavelski goes back to the third line, giving us three very high quality lines. I like us all over the ice except in net. Niemi, while his numbers aren't disgraceful, has been very poor this season, and his backup Stalock has been the better goaltender. Quick singlehandedly beat us last year. My heart says San Jose, my heart also says get ready to be broken. Will almost certainly go at least 6 games. I'm happy St Louis fell into the matchup with Chicago. At least while we and LA are belting the living snot out of each other they'll be doing the same. I also expect Dallas to thoroughly push Anaheim. Bring it on.

• Like 1

Here are the playoff match-ups after today's final games in the regular season ... for what it's worth, my tips are in dark italics.

The playoffs start on Thursday AEST (Montreal @ Tampa Bay, Columbus @ Pittsburgh and Dallas @ Anaheim kick things off)

Eastern Conference

Metropolitan Division

No. 1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. WC1 Columbus Blue Jackets

No. 2 New York Rangers vs. No. 3 Philadelphia Flyers

Atlantic Division

No. 1 Boston Bruins vs. WC2 Detroit Red Wings

No. 2 Tampa Bay Lightning vs. No. 3 Montreal Canadiens

Western Conference Pacific Division

No. 1 Anaheim Ducks vs. WC2 Dallas Stars

No. 2 San Jose Sharks vs. No. 3 Los Angeles Kings

Central Division

No. 1 Colorado Avalanche vs. WC1 Minnesota Wild

No. 2 St. Louis Blues vs. No. 3 Chicago Blackhawks

It's fairly wide open as usual with a lot of the big guns in there again. Boston/Detroit looks a good match-up along with San Jose/L.A and St Louis/Chicago. Colorado/Minnesota is another interesting duel. Montreal are in with a shot.

Some very interesting match-ups there, and a few that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see going either way.

My predictions (often a kiss-of-death for the teams I think will win)

Pittsburgh v Columbus- Pittsburgh in 5

New York Rangers v Philadelphia- New York in 7

Boston v Detroit- Boston in 6

Tampa Bay v Montreal- Montreal in 5

Anaheim v Dallas- Anaheim in 6

San Jose v Los Angeles- LA in 7

Colorado v Minnesota- Minnesota in 7

St Louis v Chicago- St Louis in 7

The ones that I italicized are the series that I think will be the most exciting to watch. NYR v Philadelphia will be crazy.

Some very interesting match-ups there, and a few that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see going either way.

My predictions (often a kiss-of-death for the teams I think will win)

Pittsburgh v Columbus- Pittsburgh in 5

New York Rangers v Philadelphia- New York in 7

Boston v Detroit- Boston in 6

Tampa Bay v Montreal- Montreal in 5

Anaheim v Dallas- Anaheim in 6

San Jose v Los Angeles- LA in 7

Colorado v Minnesota- Minnesota in 7

St Louis v Chicago- St Louis in 7

The ones that I italicized are the series that I think will be the most exciting to watch. NYR v Philadelphia will be crazy.

On cable, over here in Oz, I'm fairly sure we get game 1 of the Rangers/Flyers game on "Good Friday" morning (9am) Always great to watch these games live and I'll certainly be tuning in.

It's quite haphazard with the scheduling by Foxtel though ... they are apt to only listing the live games at the last moment (say a day or 2 beforehand) Still, here's hoping they show plenty of the matches.

I'd neglected to remember the rivalry between those 2 aforementioned teams - as Barry Melrose would say ... "These 2 teams hate each other!"

Your tips are interesting ... agree for the most part with regards to the length of each series. Just differ on a few winners. Regardless, we've got 2 months of great hockey coming up.

Edited by Macca

For what it's worth:

Ducks in 7, with some serious potential for an upset here.

Avs in 6 thanks largely to Varlamov.

Sharks in 7 but I have a BAD feeling about this one. Can't pick LA on principle.

Blackhawks in 6. This is the series I have the most confidence in picking.

As for the East, I haven't seen as much of these teams but here goes:

Bruins in 5

Penguins in 6

Canadiens in 6

NYR in 6

Was feeling very confident about our changes to get past the Wild and be competitive in the next round, Barrie getting deliberately taken out knee on knee by Cooke is a worry. He was on fire over the last few months.

If we can't win when Varly has 40 saves we will struggle to go much further as our defence is our most vulnerable area.

Was feeling very confident about our changes to get past the Wild and be competitive in the next round, Barrie getting deliberately taken out knee on knee by Cooke is a worry. He was on fire over the last few months.

If we can't win when Varly has 40 saves we will struggle to go much further as our defence is our most vulnerable area.

I'd still be pretty confident at this stage. Whatever happens, it's been a monumental rise for the Avs this season. Incredible. And Cooke is just a dirtbag.

Avs out, Sharks out, that's it, we're all done now - can't take a trick. I was almost certain that one of those 2 teams would get through after the way both teams started their series'.

Semi final match-ups look interesting, all the same. Reckon Boston, Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago might get through to the conference finals but with my tipping history, all 4 could go out.

Funny how things can turn so quickly, start of the season it was all about improvement. It exploded from there and finished with a bang in the regular season. Would have taken just missing finals before the year started but to have finished top was totally unexpected. The series started well but we just had to many injuries and too young a team and our ability to not allow high scores was always going to hurt us. Would have been great to make it into the second leg but this will set us up for next season where the expectations will be much higher.

Wow those Sharks just can't seem to get it right can they, big series loss for them.

I am tipping the Ducks or Kings to win it all but in hockey who knows.

• Like 1

Predictions went 7/8 in the first round...I think that's a personal best. The second round will be tougher to predict, I think. Boston/Montreal will be a fantastic series which I think will go seven. I'm also really looking forward to Anaheim/LA.

My picks:

Anaheim v LA: Anaheim in 6

Chicago v Minnesota: Chicago in 6

New York v Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh in 7

Montreal v Boston: Montreal in 7 (although I wish they could both lose).