Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Proposed Trade

mo64

It was mentioned in today's HS that we're interested in Ben McKinley from West Coast. I'd offer this as a trade:

Ben McKinley + WC 3rd round draft choice (46?) to Melbourne for Chris Johnson + Melbourne's 3rd round pick 37.

We on-trade pick 46 to Adelaide for John Meesen. Interestingly, it was also mentioned in another article that CJ is out of contract.

CAC did mention that we'd trade a 3rd round pick to Adelaide for Meesen, or pick him up in the PSD. However, he didn't mention the no. of the 3rd round pick.

If we could get this deal done, we'd still have the PSD pick available for a high profile uncontracted player.

It was mentioned in today's HS that we're interested in Ben McKinley from West Coast. I'd offer this as a trade:

Ben McKinley + WC 3rd round draft choice (46?) to Melbourne for Chris Johnson + Melbourne's 3rd round pick 37.

We on-trade pick 46 to Adelaide for John Meesen. Interestingly, it was also mentioned in another article that CJ is out of contract.

CAC did mention that we'd trade a 3rd round pick to Adelaide for Meesen, or pick him up in the PSD. However, he didn't mention the no. of the 3rd round pick.

If we could get this deal done, we'd still have the PSD pick available for a high profile uncontracted player.

Interesting trade. I don't really understand why we get our 3rd rounder downgraded in that deal; McKinley is a 184cm forward and has managed 1 game in his first 2 years. A straight swap would be a better deal for me. Both players would get to go home. I'm certain McKinley would appreciate the opportunity to move back to Victoria. He went to my school, albeit at another Campus, and I'm pretty sure he was the School Captain at that campus. When he was drafted I'm sure I recall they showed some footage of him and his family, and they were nigh-on devastated that he was going to move to Perth, rather than excited that he'd made it.

I am glad that CAC is in charge of our trading and not many of the posters on here. There seems to be a fixation with giving far more in trades than is needed. You suggest we swap players and swap picks giving them a higher pick. Why? Chris is 193 cms a high pick with several games under his belt. Ben is 184cms with 1 game to his credit. Who do you think is more valuable? Why would they be swapped and we get the worse pick?

On Mckinley:

184cm. played 1 game this year, but only a youngster.

Westcoast official website:

"Had his problems in his first season at the club last year when a groin injury hampered his impact, but enjoyed a good pre-season this year, playeing all of the NAB Regional Challenge matches and is keen to secure a place for himself in the senior side. Strong overhead and an accurate kick, he is eyeing a place at half-forward or through the midfield.

Draft history: 2005 NAB AFL Draft 2nd round selection (West Coast) No. 29 overall"

This is from Mat Burgan's phantom draft in 2005- afl website

"HAWTHORN at pick 22 - Ben McKinley(Northern Knights), 4 March 1987, 183.9cm, 81.7kg Has been likened to Russell Robertson, McKinley is a talented forward attracting plenty of interest. It would not surprise if he is taken earlier, with West Coast, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon and Carlton all possibilities. But he is expected to be a late first-round to early second round selection, which will set well with Hawthorn. The Hawks will gladly select him with their final 'live' selection in this year's meeting, as they are set to pass at No.65 and utilise that choice at the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft. A strong mark and quick on the lead, McKinley had a terrific season in 2005, claiming All-Australian honours. He was also named Vic Metro's most valuable player during the carnival, while he was rewarded with representation in the TAC Cup team of the year. He finished with over 60 goals to his name."

He could be seen as a future median forward replacement for Robbo (28 yrs old) and would offer another option at forward pocket which we lacked this year when Davey moved into the midfield.

i would definitely look at nabbing him if CAC saw something in him, bc he is a player that would fill a hole in our team (a small forward option if Davey is up the ground), and would come very cheap.

Chris Johnson would seem a logical swap, and considering that CJ has no real place in our team (Pettard, Whelan, Bell, Bartram, Wheatley, Bode all ahead of him in at half back flank, it would be a nice little trade

I am glad that CAC is in charge of our trading and not many of the posters on here. There seems to be a fixation with giving far more in trades than is needed. You suggest we swap players and swap picks giving them a higher pick. Why? Chris is 193 cms a high pick with several games under his belt. Ben is 184cms with 1 game to his credit. Who do you think is more valuable? Why would they be swapped and we get the worse pick?

Firstly, CJ was taken under father/son, and was not a high pick as stated.

It's just my opinion, but I believe that any player that has been in the system as long as CJ, for so few senior games, would be perceived by other clubs as 'damaged goods'. If he couldn't get a regular game this season with all the injuries we had, i'd suggest that his trade value is minimal.

I've yet to see McKinley play, but he was able to break into a far more talented WC side this season.

For Redlegs information, here is McKinley's stats in his last 4 WAFL games:

Goals Behinds Kicks Marks Handballs

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

East Perth Claremont 4 3 8 6 2

Swan Districts 8 7 19 13 3

South Fremantle 2 3 7 2 2

How does that stack up against anything that CJ has done at VFL level?

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

Still comes with a far lesser record at AFL level than CJ and has a history of groin problems. Let's try to cut some deals that would be fair for us and not make us sound desperate to get any other club's unwanted players.

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

wow, those results are intersesting. sounds much better than CJ (apart from the AFL experiance) but this guy sounds like a match winner. Melbourne IN: Meeson, McKinley, draft picks-----OUT Johnstone, Miller, CJ, some crappy draft picks somwhere along the line

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

CJ has played 13 games for the Dees. This season he played 8 games for 104 disposals an average of 13 per game, fairly handy one could say. He can play back or forward or wing. Good disposal and took 33 marks an average of 4 a game. Can play tall or short. They are about the same age. I think he is worth more than McKinley at this stage. CAC has plenty of room to do a deal if all parties are willing.

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

are those stats right?

8 goals 7 behinds, 23 possies and 13 marks??? sounds rediculous.

could be a good median forward option to replace the aging robbo and would come cheap

I have been with East Perth the whole year and have seen Benny Mac play. When he sparks he sparks. Agaisnt peel he kicked 3 in the first 5 minutes, then against swannies he dominated. When he is on his on. He needs to learn to be a bit more team orientated and he should be right.

Bruce, does he hold more currency on the trade market than CJ?

Unless CJ is asking for huge $$$, I would much rather keep him on the list than trade him to WC for some random.

which random do u speak of that WestCoast would be faintly interested in.

i cant really see them interested in CJ...prob nab him with a draft pick swap

Bruce, does he hold more currency on the trade market than CJ?

The thing is the only game he got to play for west coast was against port when the eagles were missing heaps of players and they got smashed. I think he would be better than CJ and would be keen to see him play for us. On the other hand he will frustrate a lot of people if continues to burn teammates by not rewarding the runner and having ping at goals himself.

I have been with East Perth the whole year and have seen Benny Mac play. When he sparks he sparks. Agaisnt peel he kicked 3 in the first 5 minutes, then against swannies he dominated. When he is on his on. He needs to learn to be a bit more team orientated and he should be right.

he does sound like robbo doesnt he.

Those wafl stats sound good to me, although i cant see west coast being interested in CJ. would have to use draft picks

Ben McKinley is a far better player than CJ, period. Was as a junior and still is - just stuck behind another gifted player at the WCE in LeCras

CJ was touted as a very good junior and we were all rapt when we got him.

Peel Thunder 7 2 11 9 1

CJ would not be capable of those numbers in the WAFL or anywhere else

Those stats are crazy. Get this kid to the Demons!

22 possies, 13 marks, 8 goals 7 behinds?

And Rohan Jones was in the Eagles team?

CJ would not be capable of those numbers in the WAFL or anywhere else

Those stats are crazy. Get this kid to the Demons!

22 possies, 13 marks, 8 goals 7 behinds?

And Rohan Jones was in the Eagles team?

CJ's going on the club's trip to China next week. I hardly thing he's going anywhere other than there and then back to resume his career with the MFC.