Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Soccer thread

45HG

Wow what a morning of Champions League football! Best game I've seen in this tournament for a long time, almost going back to a 4-4 between Chelsea and Liverpool 10 years ago. As a Reds fan I'm slightly annoyed that City aren't still in the CL and that Spurs didn't 'save' their good result against City for the league but forget all that!

It's a stellar performance from a team missing their main marksman and make no mistake this Spurs side plays with a heck of a lot of spirit. The manager is easily one of the best in the business now. Don't usually like other English sides winning the CL but if we can't I'll be backing Tottenham to go all the way for sure.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!  Liverpool advance past Barca after overcoming a 3 - nil deficit.

The BBC are calling it the greatest European comeback of all time.

So it's Liverpool vs Ajax/Spurs in the final.  Would have been long odds for that match-up 6 months ago.

• Like 2

I’ve seen some crazy Liverpool comebacks, especially in Europe, but that was virtually impossible in my mind. I can’t belive it happened. Probably the most emotional I’ve been over sport in a long time, especially after the low of that Kompany missile. 

• Like 4

Well at least we're going into the last round of the EPL season with the title still up for grabs ... got a feeling we might see a stack of goals in a number of games.

Spurs can finish 3rd outright if Chelsea slip up against Leicester whilst the Gunners would need to score 6 or 7 to even have a chance of replacing Spurs in 4th spot. 

Liverpool will probably end up with a massive 97 points but it still may not be enough.  But if Brighton can score first against City it might be game on.  Be great to see a dramatic finish.

• Like 1

Shattered today as there was no final twist in the tale but what can you do? 97 points wins most leagues in years gone by. Take my hat off to City they really are something else. Never have I ever had little to no faith that a team would drop points and in the last 9 games they navigated pretty much every storm thrown at them. People can moan about their riches but when you have guys like Kompany, Aguero and David Silva who at any time over the last 10 years could have gone back to Spain for the sun and staying together instead I think you have something very real. 

So proud of Liverpool this season and a lot of pride has been restored. Honestly thought the race would end with us slipping in one of the last few games but we never did, they were there right until the end. 

Still challenging for a huge honour this season which is comforting but I must say this was the one we were craving. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

You’re a good man DA.

But I’ve decided not to go - I checked the flights and they’re a total rip-off! 

Oh man! I got a leave pass and started packing already Grape,  also told the family in Athens I’d be dropping by with a few mad Dees supporters. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big one tomorrow morning people. Everyone sorted out how/where they will be watching? Plenty of venues choose from and plenty of dedicated Liverpool and Tottenham hangouts by the looks of it. Or are you a bit wiser and will set the alarm for an early rise? ?

Last year the Imperial was at capacity at about 12:30 so dilemma time for Reds fans. A) Get there early and wait about 6 or 7 hours for kick off (checked with the venue no passouts or re-entry). Pass that time the only way you do in a pub for that long which is the equivilant of starting at about 7am on grand final day. Or B) Go to Beer Deluxe the backup venue. Official Spurs hangout I believe is the Crafty Squire.

Should be a ripping game. If Kane is healthy he'll start no question. Although whoever makes way will be stiff. Think for us a lot depends on the midfield selection. All the best everyone, these finals don't come along often!

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the most impressive start from the Matildas....

was looking forward to a little dynamite and it was a quiet fizzer.

Early days and let's hope they can find form... reminded me of the MFC game plan not to mention Ange's... push forward and bugger the counter attack.

6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not the most impressive start from the Matildas....

was looking forward to a little dynamite and it was a quiet fizzer.

Early days and let's hope they can find form... reminded me of the MFC game plan not to mention Ange's... push forward and bugger the counter attack.

Very poor.

Both goals conceded were unforgivable. The first from a pathetic turnover. The second in the last minute... poor (non) marking of the scorer from a corner.

So disappointing.

No joy in the cricket either. Carnage.

Edited by bingers
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a few downloadable magazines (free) released just in time for the opening of the EPL season.  Just follow the 'Free/Slow' links to download. 

Takes a little while but worth it.  Read on Adobe Acrobat,  Google Chrome or equivalent.

n.b. The downloads work best from a PC ... might have issues from a phone.

Match of the Day (6th August 2019)

Match (6th August 2019)

FourFourTwo (UK Sept 2019)

Edited by Macca

In other news SBS won't be showing any EPL matches after failing to secure a deal with Optus. 

Liverpool vs Norwich kick things off on Saturday (5.00am)  Then the early game on Saturday evening (9.30pm) sees West Ham host Man City. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's looking like Liverpool's title to lose after last night's win over City.

The passing from Robertson & Alexander-Arnold is spectacular - it's like watching the great German or Brazil teams out from the defence

For all your EPL Highlights - Optus Sport Youtube

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Poch Sacked ?

Can’t post links for some reason. Gary Lineker having a dig at Spurs on Twitter by saying good luck in finding someone better. 

Where to now?

Just reading it now DZ. Total shock. I know the results have been below par but it is some drastic action from some owners who can't really say they've given him everything possible to succeed. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

Just reading it now DZ. Total shock. I know the results have been below par but it is some drastic action from some owners who can't really say they've given him everything possible to succeed. 

Same Layz, i honestly didn’t think they would go down this path. Only late last night whilst flicking through some online news I came across a headline which read something like ‘Man U waiting for Poch sacking’ and I thought more clickbait , then I read the news this morning.

• Like 3

Guardian reporting that Jose is in the box seat to replace him, a prospect which doesn't fill me with great joy. Allegri and Howe also in the mix. 

Agree that it's pretty hard on Poch - in addition to the no-signings summer of 2018, there was the failure this season to move on the recalcitrants wanting out, Ericksen et al. 

Having said that, together with the back end of last season, we've taken 25 points from our last 24 league starts, which is relegation form. Something had to give. 

Edit: Jose it is. Interesting times ahead, if nothing else. And it all starts this Saturday against @Macca's mob at the fan-friendly time of 11.30pm. 

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

Guardian reporting that Jose is in the box seat to replace him, a prospect which doesn't fill me with great joy. Allegri and Howe also in the mix. 

Agree that it's pretty hard on Poch - in addition to the no-signings summer of 2018, there was the failure this season to move on the recalcitrants wanting out, Ericksen et al. 

Having said that, together with the back end of last season, we've taken 25 points from our last 24 league starts, which is relegation form. Something had to give. 

Edit: Jose it is. Interesting times ahead, if nothing else. And it all starts this Saturday against @Macca's mob at the fan-friendly time of 11.30pm. 

My first reaction is that it just doesn't seem the right fit (similar to Jose at Man Utd) ... Spurs have traditionally played an enterprising and attacking brand of football and Jose's style is often anything but that.

Hope it works for you & DZ and the rest of your fans but I have doubts.  Jose's style only works if it turns into silverware and although Spurs haven't won big for a time you've at least been very watchable on the eye. 

Not sure what the hell happened with Poch - chocolates to boiled lollies in an instant.  Jungle drums say he'll end up at Man Utd so we'll find out soon enough GV.  Or maybe we won't

• Like 3

Yeah the Jose appointment while definitely spectacular and a statement doesn't quite gel with me. I'm sure He's still up with the tactics side but I think he needs to adjust his man management style. Bit less berating players. The guy loves a big cheque book too so it will be interesting to see how they works out considering what happened with the last guy. I do hope they can get back on track, I like the squad and I've just been real impressed with how they go about it in recent times. 

Emery out and Freddie in at Arsenal.  Unai seemed to be under pressure from his time of arrival.

Still,  nearly all the sacked coaches bob up elsewhere soon enough.  They don't go hungry.

• Like 1