Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Latest Melbourne Coaching news and discussion...

The Red Fox

Lyon won't play favourites

FORMER Melbourne captain Garry Lyon says his close friendship with Chris Connolly will have no bearing on any role he plays in appointing a new Demons coach.

[READ MORE]

Dees to interview Laidley

KANGAROOS' coach Dean Laidley will have his first "informal" assessment for Melbourne's vacant position when the Roos play the Demons for the second time this season at Telstra Dome on Sunday evening.

Laidley's performance in the box will be closely monitored by the Melbourne hierarchy after they detected a small flaw in his coaching when the two clubs met earlier in the year.

[READ MORE]

Fremantle have six potential candidates

immediate short list comprises Mark Harvey, part-time assistant and former West Coast premiership player Don Pike, sacked Melbourne coach Neale Daniher, Bulldogs assistant and former Docker Chris Bond, Sydney assistant John Longmire and the ever-present Michael Voss.

[READ MORE]

On July 6th the Herald Sun reported that Fremantle coach Chris Connolly, Demons caretaker coach Mark Riley, Hawthorn assistant Todd Viney, Carlton Assistant Brett Ratten and Collingwood assistant Guy McKenna are on a long list of potential candidates to replace Daniher.

Lyon won't play favourites

FORMER Melbourne captain Garry Lyon says his close friendship with Chris Connolly will have no bearing on any role he plays in appointing a new Demons coach.

I'm sure that Garry Lyon would work in the best interests of the club and not allow his friendship with any particular candidate to override logic. Judging from the fan sites, it looks as if Connolly would not be a popular choice but the coaching position isn't a popularity contest.

For my part, we need something different from whoever is going to be our next coach and Connolly doesn't fit the bill. I'd like to see a complete outsider who has played for a successful club and knows what it takes to win a premiership. Guy McKenna anyone? Brett Ratten? Michael Voss?

For my part, we need something different from whoever is going to be our next coach and Connolly doesn't fit the bill. I'd like to see a complete outsider who has played for a successful club and knows what it takes to win a premiership. Guy McKenna anyone? Brett Ratten? Michael Voss?

Three good names there. Brett Ratten sugested a few weeks ago that he'd jump at the chance to coach Melbourne if such an opportunity arose.

"If I was lucky enough to get the opportunity at Melbourne, you always take the bird in the hand," he said.

Another to consider is Shane Bond, who is on Fremante's radar. Rodney Eade recently gave him a public endorsement.

"There is no doubt he is ready," Eade said. "He ticks all the boxes. "He coached his own team at Werribee (in 2001 and 2002); he has been an assistant for seven years under three different coaches.

"He has had a big part in the midfield being successful at the Bulldogs and all the other basics that need to be a given: hard work ethic, develops good relationships with people, loyal, honest.

"He would make a good senior coach. There's a difference between coaching and being OK at it.

"I have got no doubt that he can make a really good fist of being a senior coach."

And of course Mick Malthouse recently said that Guy McKenna has clearly demonstrated he is ready for senior coaching after a range of different jobs since retirement.

Even Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy, who is himself under pressure to retain his job at Windy Hill after this season, said all three of his assistants - Gary O'Donnell, John Barnes and Gary Ayres - could coach at AFL level in 2008.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for Gary Ayres to put his hand up and coach somewhere. Gary O'Donnell's just waiting and so is Dean Wallis. They've got good experience," he said.

I'm all for getting a bastard to coach this team, but I'm not sure whether I could stomach Dean Wallis being our coach

*shudder*

I've never forgiven the [censored] for the way he acted in the 2000 GF. I mean there is tough, then there is just plain ugly!

I'm all for getting a bastard to coach this team...

Ratten, Viney, McKenna & Voss all played their footy the way we'd like our boys to. But if given the chance, could they bring that style out in our players? Can they make us the hard and compettive unit we were last season?

The good news is Melbourne is going to make this process as quick as possible. I believe that we will have a coach by the end of September. I think this fact rules Laidley out. The bloke is North through and through and will sign instantly when offered a new contract by the Kangaroos.

Most here support a candidate who has spent time as an assistant coach but has also being involved in a premiership.

Therefore: Ratten, Sumich, McKenna, Ayres, Harvey, Longmire all fit the bill.

From that list I'm leaning towards McKenna or Ratten.

Overall however, I'd like to see Todd Viney coach.

Guest unstable punt
I'm sure that Garry Lyon would work in the best interests of the club and not allow his friendship with any particular candidate to override logic. Judging from the fan sites, it looks as if Connolly would not be a popular choice but the coaching position isn't a popularity contest.

popularity can have a bearing on what coach to pick because membership is important and if we get someone like Connolly membership WILL go down

popularity can have a bearing on what coach to pick because membership is important and if we get someone like Connolly membership WILL go down

Whilst I hear the sentiment. it would be a foolhardy board that ajudicated on the coaching position with any real allowance for the supporter factor. In fact if they did...THEY ought to be sacked.

A coach should only be picked on his merits. All other factors.. are just nonsensical in the long run.

I'd certainly hate to see some gentlemen take up the baton, but im not going to abandon the Dees if that happens. Strangely enough ive been a Dee longer than any of the coaches !! lol.. so have many here. Its not the issue.

When you pick a general, his "popularity " is irrelevant. Its his vision and leadership qaulities that determine his rank.

Im getting the inkling it might be the total end of the Sheedy era. Such things do happen. But then windy hill has played lots of silly bugger games over the years, so who knows.

The only thing we can be assured of now is its going to be a total free for all now. Last year nothing...this year Flinders St all change !! :lol:

Please lets get someone who at least has first hand experience of winning a premiership either in the capacity of player or coach (or assistant), preferably in a coaching capacity. Who does that leave? Sumich, Longmire? I'm pretty sure that might have been one of the main reasons Ross Lyon got the gig at the Saints. So perhaps its all just garbage that theory. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride over the coming months. No sense in getting all worked up about it.

Please let us get a coach who has tasted premiership success as a coach! Lets not settle for second best or be a training ground for untried coaches unless they possess exceptional qualitites.

My short list is:

1. Leigh Matthews

2. Kevin Sheedy

3. Mark Williams (Sandringham) - Coached premierships at the next level down.

The only exception to the above rule would be Nathan Buckley who I can't stand but has exceptional leadership qualities.

I just hope we secure a coach ASAP so they can settle in and start list management and meeting the players straight away.

Why hasn't Denis Pagans name been mentioned?

There are two coaches in the league at the moment whose records say they are all time greats (Matthews and Sheedy). One of them is a very good chance to be available next year. He offers everything that this club has lacked for years and can build a profile and change a culture! If our "consultancy" group hasn't already contacted K Sheedy then they better get a wriggle on. I'd be making him my number one priority.

Coaching isn't a popularity contest. Even so, from what I've read from a number of different sources about McKenna and Sumich's coaching in the WAFL, I'd much rather Chris Connolly.

The good news is Melbourne is going to make this process as quick as possible. I believe that we will have a coach by the end of September. I think this fact rules Laidley out. The bloke is North through and through and will sign instantly when offered a new contract by the Kangaroos.

Most here support a candidate who has spent time as an assistant coach but has also being involved in a premiership.

Therefore: Ratten, Sumich, McKenna, Ayres, Harvey, Longmire all fit the bill.

From that list I'm leaning towards McKenna or Ratten.

Overall however, I'd like to see Todd Viney coach.

I think I heard on the radio last week that Laidley had been offered a new contract by the Kangas but he has elected to delay giving them a decision until the end of the season.

Doesn't quite sound Kangaroos throuugh and through to me!!

Seem to be quite a few coaching jobs coming up and he is keeping his options open maybe?

1. Ratten

2. Sheedy

3. Daylight

Agree 100%

Ratten should be the man

And if he isnt, we had better bloody lure in Sheedy, Malthouse or Matthews

Voss, Connoilly, Viney, mcKenna, Pagan - NO THANKS

i want sheedy. we should be talking to him, throwing money at him whatever. of all the names on any list he is the only candidate with the mix of experience, talent, premiership, mongral, media front along with everything else a coach needs. the only query on him is has he done his dash (ie is he ready to retire from coaching). i dont think he is a long term prospect at the club, but i think he could be our next premiership coach.

if we cant get sheedy the market is a bit different. there is no one else to really throw money at. matthews and malthouse arent going anywhere. im not sure about pagan, but he is an option. you might give newer coaches a go, but you dont buy them yet. they are not star attractions. and i dont think gonig after voss because he has a name is a good idea.

1 Sheedy

2 Daylight

3 Viney

4 The rest

The choice of MFC's next coach is of utmost importance to MFC long term survival. Those conducting the selection process need to be very thorough and not be swayed by media or other commentary. They must not choose based on next year being 150th year for instance. Need to critically assess which candidates have best approach and views on how to get the best out of out promising young players and over come inconsistent 2nd halfs!. Hopefully one of the questions to the candidates will be 'What is your Plan B?

i want sheedy. we should be talking to him, throwing money at him whatever. of all the names on any list he is the only candidate with the mix of experience, talent, premiership, mongral, media front along with everything else a coach needs. the only query on him is has he done his dash (ie is he ready to retire from coaching). i dont think he is a long term prospect at the club, but i think he could be our next premiership coach.

if we cant get sheedy the market is a bit different. there is no one else to really throw money at. matthews and malthouse arent going anywhere. im not sure about pagan, but he is an option. you might give newer coaches a go, but you dont buy them yet. they are not star attractions. and i dont think gonig after voss because he has a name is a good idea.

Spot on, Deanox. This club needs Sheedy. As I've posted elsewhere, and you've said here, he has all the ingredients, we just need to make sure he has the time to turn this group into something special. It took him 4 years to win a flag at the Bombers with a list that included Madden, Watson, Daniher, Vander Haar etc. I think we need to give him a 3 year contract at least. He's 59 now but still with the fire in his belly - he is desperate for that 5th flag as coach to move ahead of Parkin, Jeans and Barassi. He is still the best in the business. Let's get him!