Jump to content

POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda



Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, binman said:

You're kidding right.

That's what you take from that data - JVR is not impactful enough?

Kids has just turned 21 and in my opinion is the best forward 21 and under in the game. And in the next 3-4 years will develop into the best key forward full stop. 

People rightly rate Ugle Hagan highly. So do i. This is how their season's compare thus far.

JUH shades JVR in most stats, most notably contested marks, but not all.

JVR has JUH well and truly covered for disposal efficiency and has half the number of clangers. And unlike JUH, JVR does not have the luxury of swanning around the forward line the whole game, having to take 20 odd ruck contests game as our second ruck. No mean feat for a 21 year old. Probably explains why he is worth more for super coach. 

And of course a key point is JUH is a year older than JVR and has another year of AFL level development. 

Player Statistics Comparison
 
Jacob Van Rooyen Name Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Melbourne Demons Team Western Bulldogs
Forward Position Forward
30 Career Games 54
Claremont Origin Oakleigh Chargers
April 16, 2003 Date of Birth April 4, 2002
21yr 1mth Age 22yr 1mth
193cm Height 197cm
96kg Weight 91kg
2021 National Draft Last Drafted In 2020 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #19 Last Draft Position Round 1, Pick #1
Melbourne Demons Last Drafted By Western Bulldogs
2024 Stats for Season 2024
10 Games 9
5.2 Kicks 8.6
4.2 Handballs 2.4
9.4 Disposals 11.0
3.1 Marks 5.1
1.3 Goals 1.8
0.6 Behinds 1.7
1.7 Tackles 1.3
3.5 Hitouts 0
1.5 Inside 50s 1.9
0.4 Goal Assists 0.2
1.2 Frees For 0.9
0.9 Frees Against 1.1
4.3 Contested Possessions 5.9
5.1 Uncontested Possessions 5.3
7.3 Effective Disposals 5.7
77.7% Disposal Efficiency % 51.8%
1.8 Clangers 3.6
0.6 Contested Marks 2.2
1.3 Marks Inside 50 3.1
0.8 Clearances 0.6
0 Rebound 50s 0
1.5 One Percenters 0.8
0.1 Bounces 0
75.0 Time On Ground % 84.4
0.3 Centre Clearances 0
0.5 Stoppage Clearances 0.6
4.3 Score Involvements 5.3
135.7 Metres Gained 230.1
1.9 Turnovers 3.1
0.5 Intercepts 0.4
0.6 Tackles Inside 50 0.6
$426,000 AFL Fantasy Price $502,000
50.5 AFL Fantasy Score 61.1
$283,900 Supercoach Price $281,000
54.8 Supercoach Score 58.1

Wow.

I don’t think JUH is impactful enough yet either. Also, I wouldn’t compare them statistically like the above, as comparisons like that are mostly useless unless you’re comparing in a vacuum. Key forwards are measured offensively on; number of targets inside 50, contests won/lost & score involvements/assists.

Anyway, if you’ve read my other posts you will also realise that I acknowledge that he is young and going well. Just pointing out that as a young key forward he hasn’t taken the step where he consistently hits the scoreboard or asserts himself when things aren’t in our favour. It will come.

Lastly, I have never once questioned his trajectory other than to say that his hands aren’t elite for a key forward nor his body on body work. The latter can be developed, the former not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

If sport isn't entertainment .... Why do we watch?
The AFL is fighting for the attention of the masses against all other forms of entertainment out there.
And if you have contact with any kids these days you'll notice they have the attention spans of gnats.
Then try keeping one amused through a Melbourne game.

Hot chips 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The only time I have an issue with us playing boring footy is when we lose. Winning cures all ills.

and I’d get tired of free flowing footy pretty quickly if we were losing all the time.

Edited by BDA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sue said:

Whoopee, I'm sure the advertisers and 7 love lots of goals, but I don't.  An endless goalfest can be pretty boring - stops the play a lot for a start. A game can be interesting to watch and full of tension with little scoring.   Soccer fans around the world put up with ridiculously low scoring.

(Too low scoring in my opinion since either there is no winner or a win that doesn't really separate the teams. All they need do is widen the goals a bit to take into account that people are taller than there were in 1870 or whenever).

Completely agree with the first part (I have no opinion about improving soccer) . Our game plan is to win tight contested ball and defend - and then to take scoring opportunities if we can. I don't find it boring at all - and especially am not bored by our win/loss record over the last 4 seasons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Anything that is not Bang, Bang, Bang of course is boring lol.

We won’t see anything like that again, so boring is fine by me. 

 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, JJJ said:

Wow.

I don’t think JUH is impactful enough yet either. Also, I wouldn’t compare them statistically like the above, as comparisons like that are mostly useless unless you’re comparing in a vacuum.

Key forwards are measured offensively on; number of targets inside 50, contests won/lost & score involvements/assists.

Anyway, if you’ve read my other posts you will also realise that I acknowledge that he is young and going well. Just pointing out that as a young key forward he hasn’t taken the step where he consistently hits the scoreboard or asserts himself when things aren’t in our favour. It will come.

Lastly, I have never once questioned his trajectory other than to say that his hands aren’t elite for a key forward nor his body on body work. The latter can be developed, the former not so much.

How do you square 'not impactful enough' with not questioning his trajectory?

If you think is trajectory is OK, then by definition isn't he sufficiently impactful for his age and stage of development?

And isn't there a contradiction in saying his trajectory as a key forward is fine but his hands aren’t elite for a key forward nor his body on body work?

I'd agree he could improve his marking, but completely disagree about his one on one ability.

For a 21 year old playing in the ruck and as a key forward, almost always on bigger and older opponents, he is elite one on one.

In fact I'd say that's his greatest strength - it's the thing that immediately stood out the first time I saw him play live at Casey.

Agree your key metrics for key forwards - number of targets inside 50, contests won/lost & score involvements/assists - are good indicators for key forwards.

The only key forward player in the AFL 21 or under who is anywhere near as good as JVR is Amiss. 

Amiss has JVR  covered for average assists per game this season (0.60 to 0.40 - by way of contrast Hawkins and Dixon average 0.44 and the Coleman medallist, Curnow 0.55).

JVR has Amiss covered for score involvements this season (4.30 to 4.20 - both impressive actually - by way of contrast Larkey averages 4.55 score involvements).

JVR has Amiss well and truly covered for average contested marks this season (0.6 to 0.5).

Ranked equal 50th with Jeremy cameron, JVR  is ahead of Daniher and Larkey for average contested marks per game this season.

Impressive given how taxing the donkey work as a back up ruck is, particularly for a kid.

(Note: the data above is for forwards who have played a minimum 5 games this season).

And JVR is number one in the AFL for marking the ball when targeted.

That is a hugely impressive stat for a key forward who only turned 21 last month.

On top of all that he is miles ahead of most key forwards, young and old, for accuracy, kicking efficiency, tackles and one percenters.

None of that adds up to 'not impactful enough'.

It adds up to a kid who at 21 is incredibly impactful for his age (comparable to some of the greats), the best young forward in the AFL and a future rolled gold, AA star.

It is crazy how underrated he is, even by some dees fans.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have been bleating about how boring we have been since halfway through ‘22 when we were kicking to the pocket to save the mids legs.

At least this year we are trying to play footy again off halfback. Work in progress but at least it’s getting back to what we think of when we rummage through the sepia toned memory banks of eras that live on through highlight packages and not the dour slog of a full game with amateurs and part timers and sporadic talents.

Edited by rpfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, binman said:

How do you square 'not impactful enough' with not questioning his trajectory?

If you think is trajectory is OK, then by definition isn't he sufficiently impactful for his age and stage of development?

And isn't there a contradiction in saying his trajectory as a key forward is fine but his hands aren’t elite for a key forward nor his body on body work?

I'd agree he could improve his marking, but completely disagree about his one on one ability.

For a 21 year old playing in the ruck and as a key forward, almost always on bigger and older opponents, he is elite one on one.

In fact I'd say that's his greatest strength - it's the thing that immediately stood out the first time I saw him play live at Casey.

Agree your key metrics for key forwards - number of targets inside 50, contests won/lost & score involvements/assists - are good indicators for key forwards.

The only key forward player in the AFL 21 or under who is anywhere near as good as JVR is Amiss. 

Amiss has JVR  covered for average assists per game this season (0.60 to 0.40 - by way of contrast Hawkins and Dixon average 0.44 and the Coleman medallist, Curnow 0.55).

JVR has Amiss covered for score involvements this season (4.30 to 4.20 - both impressive actually - by way of contrast Larkey averages 4.55 score involvements).

JVR has Amiss well and truly covered for average contested marks this season (0.6 to 0.5).

Ranked equal 50th with Jeremy cameron, JVR  is ahead of Daniher and Larkey for average contested marks per game this season.

Impressive given how taxing the donkey work as a back up ruck is, particularly for a kid.

(Note: the data above is for forwards who have played a minimum 5 games this season).

And I'm pretty sure I heard last week that JVR is number one in the AFL for most targeted key forward.

On top of all that he is miles ahead of most key forwards, young and old, for accuracy, kicking efficiency, tackles and one percenters.

None of that adds up to 'not impactful enough'.

It adds up to a kid who at 21 is incredibly impactful for his age (comparable to some of the greats), the best young forward in the AFL and a future rolled gold, AA star.

It is crazy how underrated he is, even by some dees fans.

Sam Darcy is the best under 21 forward in the AFL.  Already has an elite or above average rating in every metric (especially the one that has the highest correlation for key forward success and longevity,  marks per game.) Has played 17 games.    

Would like to see JVR boost his 3 marks per game average well above 4. Most of the good forwards of the current era started off around this mark. Pardon the pun. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, binman said:

How do you square 'not impactful enough' with not questioning his trajectory?

If you think is trajectory is OK, then by definition isn't he sufficiently impactful for his age and stage of development?

And isn't there a contradiction in saying his trajectory as a key forward is fine but his hands aren’t elite for a key forward nor his body on body work?

I'd agree he could improve his marking, but completely disagree about his one on one ability.

For a 21 year old playing in the ruck and as a key forward, almost always on bigger and older opponents, he is elite one on one.

In fact I'd say that's his greatest strength - it's the thing that immediately stood out the first time I saw him play live at Casey.

Agree your key metrics for key forwards - number of targets inside 50, contests won/lost & score involvements/assists - are good indicators for key forwards.

The only key forward player in the AFL 21 or under who is anywhere near as good as JVR is Amiss. 

Amiss has JVR  covered for average assists per game this season (0.60 to 0.40 - by way of contrast Hawkins and Dixon average 0.44 and the Coleman medallist, Curnow 0.55).

JVR has Amiss covered for score involvements this season (4.30 to 4.20 - both impressive actually - by way of contrast Larkey averages 4.55 score involvements).

JVR has Amiss well and truly covered for average contested marks this season (0.6 to 0.5).

Ranked equal 50th with Jeremy cameron, JVR  is ahead of Daniher and Larkey for average contested marks per game this season.

Impressive given how taxing the donkey work as a back up ruck is, particularly for a kid.

(Note: the data above is for forwards who have played a minimum 5 games this season).

And I'm pretty sure I heard last week that JVR is number one in the AFL for most targeted key forward.

On top of all that he is miles ahead of most key forwards, young and old, for accuracy, kicking efficiency, tackles and one percenters.

None of that adds up to 'not impactful enough'.

It adds up to a kid who at 21 is incredibly impactful for his age (comparable to some of the greats), the best young forward in the AFL and a future rolled gold, AA star.

It is crazy how underrated he is, even by some dees fans.

JVR’s trajectory is going well. I think we differ an where he will finish up. More on that later.

On your 1st point, JVR does not consistently impact the game as a key forward should YET. His trajectory points to that in the future but he is still young, developing and learning his craft. I believe he will get there. One can lack impact but still be on a positive trajectory. I am not sure how you don’t understand that concept.

I don’t believe I have ever questioned his impact for a player of his age and experience. That’s not a metric I’m interested in as we are in the Premiership window. If he is playing, he has to fulfil the role he is given. He has a lot to work on but he is already important to us structurally.

There is no contradiction in pointing out his poor hands and average body work to his trajectory as a key forward. As you clearly state, he has other elite traits. Athleticism, work rate, leading patterns, defensive work, goal kicking, attack on the ball and aerobic capacity point to an end product that could be pretty bloody good. He also has an appetite to win the footy and the requisite strut but that shouldn’t be mistaken for his lack of craft when one-on-one.

Regarding the Amiss comp. It’s a good one as they are contemporaries in similar situations. Amiss has stalled a little this year but I believe he is potentially an AA in the future. JVR similarly has flattened out a little in 2024 but should get back on track.

I have watched a lot of footy in various capacities and from the eye test, Amiss seems to have a higher ceiling with a few more strings to his bow. I see JVR peaking as an A-Grader and key pillar for our future but would be surprised, pleasantly so, if he won an AA blazer.

But development is neither a given nor is it linear so who knows?!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

I have bleating about how boring we have been since halfway through ‘22 when we were kicking to the pocket to save the mids legs.

At least this year we are trying to play footy again off halfback. Work in progress but at least it’s getting back to what we think of when we rummage through the sepia toned memory banks of eras that live on through highlight packages and not the dour slog of a full game with amateurs and part timers and sporadic talents.

I was at a function last week where I was told that while Goody wants to move the ball more aggressively he will not budge on the defence first mantra. Hence it’s at times ugly and the players look lost but ultimately as long as we are moving the ball well and maintaining our defence by mid August, he will be happy. 
 

Expect more ugliness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I was at a function last week where I was told that while Goody wants to move the ball more aggressively he will not budge on the defence first mantra. Hence it’s at times ugly and the players look lost but ultimately as long as we are moving the ball well and maintaining our defence by mid August, he will be happy. 
 

Expect more ugliness.

Ugly can be truly beautiful - if we keep winning

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I was at a function last week where I was told that while Goody wants to move the ball more aggressively he will not budge on the defence first mantra. Hence it’s at times ugly and the players look lost but ultimately as long as we are moving the ball well and maintaining our defence by mid August, he will be happy. 
 

Expect more ugliness.

I expect it, it’s others that need to check their expectations. And we shouldn’t budge from being defence first. That is our identity until Lever and May cease to be what they are (and while we don’t have good enough tall forwards).

I can see what they are trying to do and where we are coming from. I’m comfortable at the moment because I know it takes a while and at least we have taken our first step.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Absolutely correct. It was great to watch, probably fun to play and very effective. Here is the frustration. Why don’t we play like that more often? Quick ball movement, changing angles, overlap run and options a plenty laterally and ahead of the ball. In other words an attacking mindset. We do have the talent and ability to do so much more often and consistently. Needs to be more accountability around this. 

Halfway through the third quarter is often when a switch gets flicked when we are playing well. I think part of the way we play is that we need to get to a stage in the game where we get that metre or two of separation as fatigue kicks in to be able to play and execute that game style. It’s not uncommon for games to be largely arm wrestles with one or two periods of separation across the league. There’s not a lot separating  many teams right now until things like fatigue start to play a part in games.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JJJ said:

JVR’s trajectory is going well. I think we differ an where he will finish up. More on that later.

On your 1st point, JVR does not consistently impact the game as a key forward should YET. His trajectory points to that in the future but he is still young, developing and learning his craft. I believe he will get there. One can lack impact but still be on a positive trajectory. I am not sure how you don’t understand that concept.

I don’t believe I have ever questioned his impact for a player of his age and experience. That’s not a metric I’m interested in as we are in the Premiership window. If he is playing, he has to fulfil the role he is given. He has a lot to work on but he is already important to us structurally.

There is no contradiction in pointing out his poor hands and average body work to his trajectory as a key forward. As you clearly state, he has other elite traits. Athleticism, work rate, leading patterns, defensive work, goal kicking, attack on the ball and aerobic capacity point to an end product that could be pretty bloody good. He also has an appetite to win the footy and the requisite strut but that shouldn’t be mistaken for his lack of craft when one-on-one.

Regarding the Amiss comp. It’s a good one as they are contemporaries in similar situations. Amiss has stalled a little this year but I believe he is potentially an AA in the future. JVR similarly has flattened out a little in 2024 but should get back on track.

I have watched a lot of footy in various capacities and from the eye test, Amiss seems to have a higher ceiling with a few more strings to his bow. I see JVR peaking as an A-Grader and key pillar for our future but would be surprised, pleasantly so, if he won an AA blazer.

But development is neither a given nor is it linear so who knows?!

Well reasoned, and I appreciate the measured response.

But the data for the metrics you chose don't support your argument and i think your premise is founded on flawed logic.

For example, saying you think JVR does not consistently impact the game as a key forward should YET is setting a strange benchmark ie what he will become as opposed to what can reasonably be expected t9 be at his current age and stage of development.

And besides, I disagree that he doesn't impact the game consistently enough right now.

He is our best key forward NOW. Certainly our most consistent one.

And as I have noted I disagree completely his body work is poor. It just isn't. 

And whilst I think his hands could be stickier, i don't agree his hands are 'poor'. Far from it.

I mean, his contested mark numbers indicate he has really good hands.

50th in the AFL this season for ALL forwards for contested marks puts him ahead of a lot of good footballers. That's not possible without having good hands.

And again, unlike almost every other key forward, JVR is also a second ruck. If he had the luxury of staying inside 50 the whole game and not gassing himself rucking he'd clunk more marks.

That ruck role has to be factored into the assessment of his forward craft and his value to the team.

Just one aspect is taking 20 ruck contests a game allows maxy to be the dominant player he is.

And the fact that JVR holds his own when rucking means we don't get opened up when maxy is on the bench. 

And his around the ground rucking also demonstrates how well he uses his body.

What other young key forward does any rucking?

Of the more senior pure key forwards, I can only think of Daniher who takes as many ruck contests as JVR.

I too have watched a lot football. And seen a lot of young key forwards come and go.

JVR is only in his third season, and just his second playing seniors. He has just turned 21.

The level he played at last year, when still 20, and is playing at this year, is remarkable, as is how important he is for us.

Cadman, a number one draft pick is a year behind roey. He is in his second season, and regualarly in the ones, so comparable to where JVR was last season. He looks good, but is nowhere near as impactful or as important to his teams' fortunes as JVR was last season.

In my 45 plus years of watching the dees, the only two key forwards compare to JVR at the same age in terms of impact (not potential impact, actual impact) are the ox and Jessie Hogan.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, binman said:

All good points.

But as I have noted I disagree completely his body work is poor. 

And I don't agree his hands are 'poor'. 

I mean, his contested mark numbers indicate he had good hands.

And again, unlike almost every other key foreard, JVR is also a second ruck. If he had the luxury of staying inside 50 the whole game and not gassing himself rucking he'd clunk more marks.

Jvr got coaches votes

 

Is doing something right

 

He is also being asked to do roles that the other young key fwds aren't being asked to do

Is doing well imo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 27/05/2024 at 20:12, danielE288 said:

Exactly right. We need to get more fan to our home games, it's embarrassing, and as you mention it will likely see us having to go to Marvel should Essendon, Carlton & Collingwood request they play less games there.

A Hawks fan was mocking us on the train home, saying we can't even get over 40k when we're a decent team, what about when we inevitably drop down the ladder, hard to argue with him really.

I remember Hawthorn getting 12,000 to a game at the G against GWS in one of their premiership years. It was a graveyard game.

I'd say [censored] off you muppet.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2024 at 13:35, Mel Bourne said:

 

Thing is though, McAdam actually knows how to do it. 

So perhaps we reallocate that entitlement?

 

And this one...https://www.afl.com.au/video/994633/up-and-mcadam-in-huge-hanger?videoId=994633&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1691218330001

Good point.

 

One day Kozzie will hold one, but he's way more dangerous at ground level.

I like the look of McAdam , he sure can take a mark, and when fit might be handy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, binman said:

Well reasoned, and I appreciate the measured response.

But the data for the metrics you chose don't support your argument and i think your premise is founded on flawed logic.

For example, saying you think JVR does not consistently impact the game as a key forward should YET is setting a strange benchmark ie what he will become as opposed to what can reasonably be expected t9 be at his current age and stage of development.

And besides, I disagree that he doesn't impact the game consistently enough right now.

He is our best key forward NOW. Certainly our most consistent one.

And as I have noted I disagree completely his body work is poor. It just isn't. 

And whilst I think his hands could be stickier, i don't agree his hands are 'poor'. Far from it.

I mean, his contested mark numbers indicate he has really good hands.

50th in the AFL this season for ALL forwards for contested marks puts him ahead of a lot of good footballers. That's not possible without having good hands.

And again, unlike almost every other key forward, JVR is also a second ruck. If he had the luxury of staying inside 50 the whole game and not gassing himself rucking he'd clunk more marks.

That ruck role has to be factored into the assessment of his forward craft and his value to the team.

Just one aspect is taking 20 ruck contests a game allows maxy to be the dominant player he is.

And the fact that JVR holds his own when rucking means we don't get opened up when maxy is on the bench. 

And his around the ground rucking also demonstrates how well he uses his body.

What other young key forward does any rucking?

Of the more senior pure key forwards, I can only think of Daniher who takes as many ruck contests as JVR.

I too have watched a lot football. And seen a lot of young key forwards come and go.

JVR is only in his third season, and just his second playing seniors. He has just turned 21.

The level he played at last year, when still 20, and is playing at this year, is remarkable, as is how important he is for us.

Cadman, a number one draft pick is a year behind roey. He is in his second season, and regualarly in the ones, so comparable to where JVR was last season. He looks good, but is nowhere near as impactful or as important to his teams' fortunes as JVR was last season.

In my 45 plus years of watching the dees, the only two key forwards compare to JVR at the same age in terms of impact (not potential impact, actual impact) are the ox and Jessie Hogan.

Hey binman.  In your previous post you mentioned that you heard JVR is the number 1 in the afl for being targeted inside 50.  The actual stat is he is #1 at marking the ball when targeted (he doesn’t get targeted a huge amount).  That is a hugely impressive stat for a 21 year old key forward.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Watson11 said:

Hey binman.  In your previous post you mentioned that you heard JVR is the number 1 in the afl for being targeted inside 50.  The actual stat is he is #1 at marking the ball when targeted (he doesn’t get targeted a huge amount).  That is a hugely impressive stat for a 21 year old key forward.

Thank @Watson11.

Straight into my mental stats file (and the post above!).

You're right, that is a hugely impressive stat for a kid who turned 21 only last month.

I have to say, he looked much fresher this week after a week out.. More dynamic.

Personally I'd love it of he didn't have to be the back up ruck. It's a massive ask for a kid to carry that sort of work load. 

But it really shows how important he is to our side as there's really no other option atm as verell is not a forward and I'm not sure Fullarton had a spot in the team.

And even if they were good options, petty, JVR and frtter are all locks, sof one of them was selected they  would need to replace a medium (McAdam or melk) or small (koz, Chandler or nibbla).

I can't see us going with 3 genuine  tall forwards, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, binman said:

 

Personally I'd love it of he didn't have to be the back up ruck. It's a massive ask for a kid to carry that sort of work load. 

i wouldn't - he clearly thrives on that competition in the middle and in winning clearances

i can't wait to see him take on dog

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I remember Hawthorn getting 12,000 to a game at the G against GWS in one of their premiership years. It was a graveyard game.

I'd say [censored] off you muppet.

Sorry, slightly off, but my point stands. Hawthorn vs GWS, Round 11, Sunday 1st June 2014, 4.40pm. Crowd 17,906.

Ironically, the same year, Hawthorn played a home game against St Kilda at the MCG in Round 7. The crowd was 32,924. They were coming off a premiership and up the top again.

So we managed a higher home attendance this week against St Kilda at the MCG. 

Short memories, those Hawthorn nuffies.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2024 at 20:12, danielE288 said:

Exactly right. We need to get more fan to our home games, it's embarrassing, and as you mention it will likely see us having to go to Marvel should Essendon, Carlton & Collingwood request they play less games there.

A Hawks fan was mocking us on the train home, saying we can't even get over 40k when we're a decent team, what about when we inevitably drop down the ladder, hard to argue with him really.

I'd have said 40k isn't too bad when playing the smaller clubs like St Kilda and Hawthorn. 

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2024 at 23:57, 58er said:

If we had beaten WC we would have had another 5,000 yesterday.

By no means am I having a go at you 58er, but this really grinds my gears. The thought that ‘fans’ would decide not to attend a match (that they can attend) because we suffered a loss the previous week. I’m wondering if it’s only when the loss is to a team who’re down the sad end  of the ladder, or any loss. Either way, I just don’t understand this mindset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 72

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 32

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 19

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 305

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...