Jump to content

Harley Reid


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The bad news is we aren't getting Reid.

The good news is the league doesn't have to give in to North's woe is me sooking for priority picks. No more Ben McKay pick 2 compo. No more nonsense with Colonel Sanders.

We should get a fair crack at pick 4 or pick 5, which will then ease out at least one spot with Walter from the Suns but that's better than McKay compo and Sanders off the board.

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Hard to see FA compo or priority picks being ahead of the Eagles. But they will be gifted Sanders some how. 

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

We had a pair of number 1 picks and didn't win anything.

We had picks 2, 3 (which would shouldn't have got but we did deserve a top 10 pick for Chip) and traded up from pick 6 I believe for pick 4 to get Oliver and we win a flag.

If anything that franks the argument that a lottery that still sees the bottom 4 clubs prioritised but doesn't guarantee the top pick to anyone is a good idea.

I mean, assuming we didn't stuff their development we would've had a far better side in the early 10's with Dusty and Nic Nat than our pick 1's.

I don't understand the argument that if you finish 18th rather than 17th suddenly special compensation is no longer required or given. Special compensation isn't based on performamce over one year. And if it was you could argue that finishing bottom shows you're more in need of help that finishing 2nd-bottom . Having access to Harley Reid doesn't suddenly negate everything else.

Why does the NBA have a lottery? Because it's a television event. Because tanking is an issue in the NBA. On the one hand they try to stop it my having 20 out of 30 teams make the finals (and what a farce that is). On the  other hand, they allow bottom teams to basically trade their entire team out mid-season to manufacture poor results and guarantee bottom table finishes. Tanking isn't an issue in AFL. The lower the position you finish on the ladder the better draft position you have and that's the way it should be. You don't have a lottery because it works against that process.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, COOLX said:

North and Freo will end in 18th and 15 th spot respectively , this improve our position of getting no.1 draft pick thou a long shot. What would we need to give up Pick 5, pick 15 and next years 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder for a Grundy deal.

Our alternative would be get Caddy and Read

We're not going to get Read. He's Northern Academy and will go to Gold Coast unless some team (and I hope it's not Melbourne) select him much higher than they should. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I don't understand the argument that if you finish 18th rather than 17th suddenly special compensation is no longer required or given. Special compensation isn't based on performamce over one year. And if it was you could argue that finishing bottom shows you're more in need of help that finishing 2nd-bottom . Having access to Harley Reid doesn't suddenly negate everything else.

Why does the NBA have a lottery? Because it's a television event. Because tanking is an issue in the NBA. On the one hand they try to stop it my having 20 out of 30 teams make the finals (and what a farce that is). On the  other hand, they allow bottom teams to basically trade their entire team out mid-season to manufacture poor results and guarantee bottom table finishes. Tanking isn't an issue in AFL. The lower the position you finish on the ladder the better draft position you have and that's the way it should be. You don't have a lottery because it works against that process.

North have a stack of young talent. They’ve never needed more young talent to begin with. But a valid argument has been that the Jamarra academy, Daicos F/S, JHF quitting after 1 year has robbed them of the most elite talent. So Reid helps with that. Also gives them a confidence boost in to next year.

When we were rubbish the afl quoted our picks and young talent (and coach I believe) as reason we didn’t need extra help.

All North need is some marginal help to secure some experienced players. Extra list spot, a 2nd or 3rd rounder and maybe some sneaky cap space for a year or two to grab some veterans. It would be crazy to give them more elite young talent when it’s not what they need at all. 

I could go either way on an AFL lottery. It’s not an absolute need. But a heavily weighted to bottom sides lottery could cut out some of the stuff that has happened with Eagles and North fans wanting to lose games this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It’s the reason we won a flag.

But not with a collection of first draft picks YOY. It has been through smart and professional draft selection.

North Melbourne is not even trying to improve since 2019.

Actually we failed with lots of first draft picks (Watts, Scully, Toumpas). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

I reckon there will be an announcement that Simpson will not be coaching WCE beyond this year - there's not way he would have allowed his team to win on the weekend if he was coaching next year!

Or the AFL have told West Coast that North won't get a priority pick so they are safe getting Curtin at pick 2.

Edited by Left Foot Snap
Spelling
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Ralph hinting to Gary On The Couch that the Dees were meeting with Reid.  With North getting pick one it seams unlikely now though

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 8/20/2023 at 9:59 PM, DeeSpencer said:

North have a stack of young talent. They’ve never needed more young talent to begin with. But a valid argument has been that the Jamarra academy, Daicos F/S, JHF quitting after 1 year has robbed them of the most elite talent. So Reid helps with that. Also gives them a confidence boost in to next year.

When we were rubbish the afl quoted our picks and young talent (and coach I believe) as reason we didn’t need extra help.

All North need is some marginal help to secure some experienced players. Extra list spot, a 2nd or 3rd rounder and maybe some sneaky cap space for a year or two to grab some veterans. It would be crazy to give them more elite young talent when it’s not what they need at all. 

I could go either way on an AFL lottery. It’s not an absolute need. But a heavily weighted to bottom sides lottery could cut out some of the stuff that has happened with Eagles and North fans wanting to lose games this year.

If it's heavily weighted teams would still tank to have a better chance at the top pick. Even with the lottery tanking still exists in the NBA. You can't stop it and I don't think it's worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

John Ralph hinting to Gary On The Couch that the Dees were meeting with Reid.  With North getting pick one it seams unlikely now though

Don't think the Dee's were, Lyon had a meeting with Reid's parents in Kyabram, where Lyon is from. I wouldn't think Lyon would have any official connection with MFC anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Don't think the Dee's were, Lyon had a meeting with Reid's parents in Kyabram, where Lyon is from. I wouldn't think Lyon would have any official connection with MFC anymore.

No, Ralph was hinting that Melbourne FC had a meeting with Reid on Monday,  he tried to get it out of Gary but he just let it go through to the keeper.  

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Doggie implosion has blown-up an in-principal deal with WCE for us to get Reid.  Lyon has been involved at a personal level.

The final decision whether to exercise the deal, by both WCE and MFC had yet to be made.  Plenty of water still to go under the bridge between now and November.  Nevertheless, we have been actively pursuing Reid as an option on how to spend our draft bonanza.  It would seem we are still keen to have this option with NM, but considering everything our chances are now weak.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

The Doggie implosion has blown-up an in-principal deal with WCE for us to get Reid.  Lyon has been involved at a personal level.

The final decision whether to exercise the deal, by both WCE and MFC had yet to be made.  Plenty of water still to go under the bridge between now and November.  Nevertheless, we have been actively pursuing Reid as an option on how to spend our draft bonanza.  It would seem we are still keen to have this option with NM, but considering everything our chances are now weak.

What was the deal looking like GNF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given Nths list, they really don't need Reid; they are stacked for midifled talent. Trading 1 to us for multiple top picks could really fast track their rebuild, and they could still get Curtin plus other young guns, including a gun small forward in Watson

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Given Nths list, they really don't need Reid; they are stacked for midifled talent. Trading 1 to us for multiple top picks could really fast track their rebuild, and they could still get Curtin plus other young guns, including a gun small forward in Watson

North will pick Reid number 1, take that to the bank

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grand New Flag said:

The Doggie implosion has blown-up an in-principal deal with WCE for us to get Reid.

What makes matters worse is the interchange "blunder" which cost North Melbourne a likely win against the Swans earlier in the year. What a beautiful mistake for them. 

Tell you what though, Swans probably sitting 8 points higher than they should morally with this and the crows goal.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


56 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Tell you what though, Swans probably sitting 8 points higher than they should morally with this and the crows goal.

That’s a fascinating point. Swans have had some absolute rolled gold gifts this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

The Doggie implosion has blown-up an in-principal deal with WCE for us to get Reid.  Lyon has been involved at a personal level.

The final decision whether to exercise the deal, by both WCE and MFC had yet to be made.  Plenty of water still to go under the bridge between now and November.  Nevertheless, we have been actively pursuing Reid as an option on how to spend our draft bonanza.  It would seem we are still keen to have this option with NM, but considering everything our chances are now weak.

😢 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2023 at 10:18 PM, deelusions from afar said:

I reckon there will be an announcement that Simpson will not be coaching WCE beyond this year - there's not way he would have allowed his team to win on the weekend if he was coaching next year!

Couldn’t agree more - my daughter and I were discussing this point and the only logical reason to win is an FU to somebody at the eagles.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2023 at 7:46 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

As long as the AFL don't try and pilfer him when Tassie comes in ala Scully

Sure, but we don't know the exact year they come in, and by that time I have no doubt our culture would keep him at the dees.

And maybe he wants to leave Tassie. I was born there, wont find me moving back in a hurry!!! 🏃🏃‍♂️🏃🏃‍♂️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

The Doggie implosion has blown-up an in-principal deal with WCE for us to get Reid.  Lyon has been involved at a personal level.

The final decision whether to exercise the deal, by both WCE and MFC had yet to be made.  Plenty of water still to go under the bridge between now and November.  Nevertheless, we have been actively pursuing Reid as an option on how to spend our draft bonanza.  It would seem we are still keen to have this option with NM, but considering everything our chances are now weak.

Haha, he does it again. You're like clockwork mate. It's always fun.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 4

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 106

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 426

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...