Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

JvR is the Round 12 Rising Star …

rumpole

2 minutes ago, rumpole said:

Going early but I think we might have one this week.

Just can’t decide if it’s going to be Judd McVee or Jacob van Rooyen.

No chance. I understand that Jeff Gleeson’s on the panel that decides the nominees.

• Haha 7
  • Vomit 1

Much more pleasing than Rising Star this week was Roo's up the ground movement. Lot to like about his solid play yesterday moving in and out of congestion..

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Watching him getting more and more embarrassed and pleased in the post-match when Abbey Holmes kept saying things like 'shining star' and praising him over and over was just beautiful.

100% pure 'Aw shucks the pretty lady is saying such nice things about me in front of all these people'.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

43 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Pleasing from him, but 16 disp and 1 goal isn't a rising star nomination 

We'll see how the round plays out. A lot of those disposals were pretty valuable! The rest of the stats favour him, too;

7 Marks, 2 contested, a bunch of score involvements, just shy of 90% disposal efficiency, two tackles inside 50 (behind only Pickett for either side) build a picture of a really effective game.

It was an excellent tall forward effort in a game which did not favour tall forwards at all. Unless there's another kid who has a genuinely outstanding game, he'd be under serious consideration.

But I think we all agree on what has us really excited. Structure. Even when Brown and McDonald were each mixing between good and just okay form, it was releasing maximum Fritsch. I think we went 20 wins, 1 loss in games where we had the three out there together.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Pleasing from him, but 16 disp and 1 goal isn't a rising star nomination 

I didn't know there was a number of stats that had to be completed before a Rising  Star nomination can be awarded.  Can you fill me in on them please SA?

Tbere were more than that as Abbey Holmes itemised in her Ch7 interview after the game. And Rooy  had an impact with nearly every action he displayed in his most complete game for the Dees. Marks tackles etc etc his is what the Rising Star is looking for in a performance that highlighted his huge talent as a potential star on the horizon.

Judd also is worthy of the award also on his very valuable performance last night. 

The award people are generally on the money and it's not always the flashiest and larger stats that win it. Team value and impact just like in the Band F are a paramount consideration. 

Both skilled team players that won't spend many ( if any) days at Casey in the future. 

Oh and to those who are craving for either Jacob or Judd plus Chandler to be managed or dropped " because they are tired" or "look like they should have a week off" they sure answered that constant request whenever they have a quiet game. Some Red faced Demonlanders who I hope are pleased with the result. 

Perhaps we all should have a week off asking for managed players at times. We don't know their bodies or actual aerobic ability to select that opinion thank goodness. 

As the late great Teddy Whitten said "We stuck it right up 'em" and it good when we get this call every now and again.  

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Given there's still 6 games to go this weekend I suspect there'll be ample opportunity for some kid to play some exemptional footy it a higher skilled game that will secure this week's nomination.

Cant see much to rave about last night....

1 hour ago, 58er said:

I didn't know there was a number of stats that had to be completed before a Rising  Star nomination can be awarded.  Can you fill me in on them please SA?

Tbere were more than that as Abbey Holmes itemised in her Ch7 interview after the game. And Rooy  had an impact with nearly every action he displayed in his most complete game for the Dees. Marks tackles etc etc his is what the Rising Star is looking for in a performance that highlighted his huge talent as a potential star on the horizon.

Judd also is worthy of the award also on his very valuable performance last night. 

The award people are generally on the money and it's not always the flashiest and larger stats that win it. Team value and impact just like in the Band F are a paramount consideration. 

Both skilled team players that won't spend many ( if any) days at Casey in the future. 

Oh and to those who are craving for either Jacob or Judd plus Chandler to be managed or dropped " because they are tired" or "look like they should have a week off" they sure answered that constant request whenever they have a quiet game. Some Red faced Demonlanders who I hope are pleased with the result. 

Perhaps we all should have a week off asking for managed players at times. We don't know their bodies or actual aerobic ability to select that opinion thank goodness. 

As the late great Teddy Whitten said "We stuck it right up 'em" and it good when we get this call every now and again.  

Thanks deeluded. Good to see you back

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Given there's still 6 games to go this weekend I suspect there'll be ample opportunity for some kid to play some exemptional footy it a higher skilled game that will secure this week's nomination.

Cant see much to rave about last night....

So JVR and Judd didn't play well enough for a chance of Rising Star  nomination?

Both played games near enough to their best which should get them in the discussions this round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58er said:

So JVR and Judd didn't play well enough for a chance of Rising Star  nomination?

Both played games near enough to their best which should get them in the discussions this round. 

I think you over rate us.. thank you.

Im not denigrating their efforts... but rising star ( on the night )..  seriously doubt it.

I thought Rooseys effort against the Bloods might have raised an eyebrow... seems not.

They were both good last night.. exceptional 🤷🤷

• Like 1

What I liked most about JVR's game was the diverse range of attributes on display. Of course we know he can mark but I didn't realise how sharp we was with ball handling in congestion and running at speed. I knew we was fast but I'm so impressed with his endurance for a young KP player. Also great composure and decision-making that is beyond his years.

I know I'm going over the top but he reminds me of Wayne Carey - except he also seems a great character. Going to be very difficult for the league's best defenders to contain him in a few years. Looks like a future captain. Alright, I'll stop now. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, speed demon said:

Wayne Carey

And dare we say James Hird? Hopefully he remains less prone to d-head behaviour than them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, speed demon said:

What I liked most about JVR's game was the diverse range of attributes on display. Of course we know he can mark but I didn't realise how sharp we was with ball handling in congestion and running at speed. I knew we was fast but I'm so impressed with his endurance for a young KP player. Also great composure and decision-making that is beyond his years.

I know I'm going over the top but he reminds me of Wayne Carey - except he also seems a great character. Going to be very difficult for the league's best defenders to contain him in a few years. Looks like a future captain. Alright, I'll stop now. 

This might come across ti some as a bit , well, ridiculous  but some fwds, even some very good ones are kinda like 1-to- 2 trick ponies.  By this i mean they do one or two things quite/very well and thats it.  You will and would always have them for those very qualities/ abilities.

And then there's kids like Roo. They're different,  very different.  He's a thinker. They're not as common as some might  suggest.  Lot's can play, not all can think. 

Every game is developing that footy mind. A couple more preseasons...   He'll be almost impossible to play on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I think you over rate us.. thank you.

Im not denigrating their efforts... but rising star ( on the night )..  seriously doubt it.

I thought Rooseys effort against the Bloods might have raised an eyebrow... seems not.

They were both good last night.. exceptional 🤷🤷

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

This might come across ti some as a bit , well, ridiculous  but some fwds, even some very good ones are kinda like 1-to- 2 trick ponies.  By this i mean they do one or two things quite/very well and thats it.  You will and would always have them for those very qualities/ abilities.

And then there's kids like Roo. They're different,  very different.  He's a thinker. They're not as common as some might  suggest.  Lot's can play, not all can think. 

Every game is developing that footy mind. A couple more preseasons...   He'll be almost impossible to play on.

So he's not worthy of a rising star in his best game so far, but in two years he'll be almost impossible to play against?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, old55 said:

So he's not worthy of a rising star in his best game so far, but in two years he'll be almost impossible to play against?

Yes... you suggest the 2 thoughts are incompatible ?? 

You do realise hes judged against others...in other games of THIS round ?? You get that i assume.  I thought he played well the other night...  i can also extend my thinking that someone else might play a blinder more akin to whatever the ajudicators deems a R.S performance.  None of this need be incongruent.

I can see the elements of JVR which will have above many of his compatriots in years to come.

None of this is hard to understand.  Try again perhaps....

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Yes, agree completely. That's what I learnt on Friday night. JVR doesn't just have the potential to be an excellent 1 or 2 pony - he's going to be the whole circus. 

• Like 5

I liked JVR's game but for me I'd be putting Bailey Humphrey ahead of him this week. I saw most of the Gold Coast/Adelaide game and this guy's going to be a genuine star. Apparently Melbourne tried to trade up to get him and from what I've seen I can understand why. I also love (but not from a Melbourne perspective) that he's committed to Gold Coast for another 4 years:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/941129/show-of-faith-gold-coast-suns-lock-in-match-winning-teen-bailey-humphrey-on-new-deal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I liked JVR's game but for me I'd be putting Bailey Humphrey ahead of him this week. I saw most of the Gold Coast/Adelaide game and this guy's going to be a genuine star. Apparently Melbourne tried to trade up to get him and from what I've seen I can understand why. I also love (but not from a Melbourne perspective) that he's committed to Gold Coast for another 4 years:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/941129/show-of-faith-gold-coast-suns-lock-in-match-winning-teen-bailey-humphrey-on-new-deal

Already nominated.

JVR didn’t completely dominate but it was a very good 4 quarter game and the highest SuperCoach score of the round from the eligible players so far.

Short of a great performance by someone in the Ess/North game he’s in the box seat.

Personally I’d love to see McVee get it for another very good game and consistent performances but he might have to wait a little longer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, speed demon said:

Yes, agree completely. That's what I learnt on Friday night. JVR doesn't just have the potential to be an excellent 1 or 2 pony - he's going to be the whole circus. 

Agree he's a package of different skills with a bright future. Thinks about the game also. 

• Like 5

Its a garbage award, who cares.

The players nominated after about round 10 have zero chance of winning the award.

It started as a rising star award now its a best first year player award which is totally different.

And genuine stars sometimes  dont get nominated because of the ridiculous rules around nominations.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, layzie said:

Couple of decent ones that could be in the mix like Knevitt from Geelong but I reckon this is the week for JVR. 

Or Judd wouldn't be out of the running

Best game for both  so far I reckon.

• Like 3