Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Knee Jerk Posters

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

The G is not good when there is a small crowd that is spread out. That game with 25k in the enclosed confines of AFL park ( I know that is not the name) would have sounded way better. While we all hate it games against gws, Freo, wce should be played there. 25 - 30k attendance works better than at the G. We simply don't have enough mad fans to play those games at the G. It's one of the reasons I think this preoccupation to have a home near the G is silly. It doesn't mean anything to the average fan just the fanatics and we don't have many of them. 

I actually agree with this. The G is too cavernous for a 25k crowd. There was 33k at the Crows Lions game yesterday and even though a not much bigger crowd than Saturday the noise levels were much higher. 

44 minutes ago, layzie said:

Saturday is old news to me now and I'm ready to re-load again. My choice to go is also not based on disappointed and more about going no matter what, after a win or a loss. 

It would be disappointing if the result turned people away from a premo Fri night timeslot. I expect a scrap as well and won't be tearing my hair out if there isn't 8 goals on the board by quarter time from us, it's a two team sport and they have been bashed around a lot in the media lately so they have something to prove.

If people can, get down there. The team needs us. 

It will look ok on Friday night, 20k blues + 20k demons = 40k. 

• Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

I actually agree with this. The G is too cavernous for a 25k crowd. There was 33k at the Crows Lions game yesterday and even though a not much bigger crowd than Saturday the noise levels were much higher. 

We probably lost money with that crowd at the G. Small profit at movie park. 

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

It will look ok on Friday night, 20k blues + 20k demons = 40k. 

Reckon therell be more than 20k bluebaggers..

Maybe not after 3/4 if getting dacked.

Find out friday lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, old dee said:

I went to more games when we were  absolutely [censored] not that long ago than I do now. Part of that is the advancing year problems / night games. But after winning the flag my level of enthusiasm has reduced. I am weighing up going next Friday night. It will have to be by car no chance by train because they stab you out this way. Now we have a decent side there is a part of me that says the team don't need me there any longer. 

OD, just to be clear, i know i was responding to one of your posts, but i'm not trying to suggest you are a fair-weather supporter at all or knocking you for not going to the footy.

Post game public transport is god awful for anyone, let alone anyone a bit older, needing a seat and who has better things to do then have their personal space invaded by a bunch of half cut vaping teenagers. Or worse - blues fans.

You no doubt have well and truly paid your dees dues over the journey and avoiding the cold and the booming 'match day experience' and watching the game at home sounds a really good option.

No, i'm talking about the fans who don't have such excuses and are happy to go to Anzac eve or Kings Birthday, and very happy to pot the Dees for 'not turning up' or some such, but can't be bothered going to a game on a cold Friday night to support their team when they need it. Theatre goers. 

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with people going to the footy for the theater. Not everyone is obsessed with footy the way i and many others on this board are. But i don't want to hear criticisms of the team about effort etc. from that mob.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

13 hours ago, praha said:

SEN and AFL Media both with articles tonight about Melbourne needing to beat a top 4 side. Our record against top 4 and top 8 sides across 2022 and now 2023 is starting to give me Daniher-era vibes. We'd linger around the top most of the season but as soon as we faced a genuine contender we'd get convincingly beaten. We're no where near that but the vibes I get from neutral fans is similar.

Agree that we have only beaten 1 current top 4 side but convincingly been beaten, lost 7,4,11 & 27, though concern us as the season drags on if they don’t fix what’s nit working we will see those margins blow out!

59 minutes ago, layzie said:

I have to agree with Binman on this OD. On Saturday when we were storming back in the last the crowd was doing everything they could to urge the team on, it was a game of inches and the little things looked like they could make the big difference. I don't know how much louder the crowd would have been with an extra 5-10K but it could have helped us over the line on that particular day. 

I’m bringing up an old one here. People still talk about the crowd and noise when we made the finals in 2018. I unfortunately couldn’t make it. I keep hearing the impact  it made was like having an extra player on the field.

I however was fortunate enough to see both finals in 2021 and the crowd noise was electric and in my mind there is no doubt, our boys were spurred on by it. It was because a whole swag of West Coast and Freo supporters came on board with us. It was a pleasure to experience real loud passionate support- even if was being generated by neutrals.

In contrast the GF rematch the following year the crowd felt very flat to me, very Melbourne like if that makes sense. If I could pick up on the difference, I’m certain the players would have also. 

Again in contrast, how was the noise the Ferals made in our last game against them in 2022. In my opinion, their ‘19th man’ got them over the line in that game.

Geez I hope our supporters turn up next week. We need both the home ground and home crowd advantage.

Even more so for the Collingwood game. I would love it if the majority of our ‘one off’ supporters that turn up are the same ones that rocked up in the 2018 finals series. 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, binman said:

OD, just to be clear, i know i was responding to one of your posts, but i'm not trying to suggest you are a fair-weather supporter at all or knocking you for not going to the footy.

Post game public transport is god awful for anyone, let alone anyone a bit older, needing a seat and who has better things to do then have their personal space invaded by a bunch of half cut vaping teenagers. Or worse - blues fans.

You no doubt have well and truly paid your dees dues over the journey and avoiding the cold and the booming 'match day experience' and watching the game at home sounds a really good option.

No, i'm talking about the fans who don't have such excuses and are happy to go to Anzac eve or Kings Birthday, and very happy to pot the Dees for 'not turning up' or some such, but can't be bothered going to a game on a cold Friday night to support their team when they need it. Theatre goers. 

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with people going to the footy for the theater. Not everyone is obsessed with footy the way i and many others on this board are. But i don't want to hear criticisms of the team about effort etc. from that mob.

I never thought you were .  I See MFC supporters as way different to most other clubs and sadly I don't think  that will change any time soon.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, poita said:

I can't be bothered reading this entire thread, but it's clear to me that there are two types of Melbourne supporters. One who were calling for change 10 games into Mark Neeld's coaching career when it was clear that we were going rapidly backwards, and two who would still be preaching patience and positivity after five years of watching him destroy the club. I know which attitude is more likely to lead to success. 

I haven't been an apologist for Mark Neeld, but he only coached for 33 games in 2012 - 2013. I don't think he was the only factor in the team's demise in those days. I can only count 10 players from that era who would be considered for selection with our current list (and I'm being generous!).

5 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I’m bringing up an old one here. People still talk about the crowd and noise when we made the finals in 2018. I unfortunately couldn’t make it. I keep hearing it was like having an extra player on the field.

I however was fortunate enough to see both finals in 2021 and the crowd noise was electric and in my mind there is no doubt, our boys were spurred on by it. Again no doubt, it was because a whole swag of West Coast and Freo supporters came on board with us. It was a pleasure to experience real loud passionate support- even if was being generated by neutrals.

In contrast the GF rematch the following year the crowd felt very flat to me, very Melbourne like if that makes sense.

Again in contrast, how was the noise the Ferals made in our last game against them in 2022. In my opinion, the ‘19th man’ got them over the line in that game.

Geez I hope our supporters turn up next week. We need both the home ground and home crowd advantage.

Even more so for the Collingwood game. I would love it if the majority of our ‘one off’ supporters are the same ones that rocked up in the 2018 finals series. 

Was that from the players?

2 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

I haven't been an apologist for Mark Neeld, but he only coached for 33 games in 2012 - 2013. I don't think he was the only factor in the team's demise in those days. I can only count 10 players from that era who would be considered for selection with our current list (and I'm being generous!).

Very generous!

On 5/28/2023 at 8:46 AM, Redleg said:

If we could have had a normal disposal efficiency yesterday of say 78%, instead of 66%, we would have won well,

We can work on that, by decision making changing.

Less bomb, more pass.

The disturbing thing is that there is zero modification to the game style during the game when its obviously not working

we keep doing the same things like robots

I'm starting to blame the coaching.Now where is that thread "Is Goodwim ...........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Was that from the players?

I can’t categorically say yes but to me it seems like a real obvious.

Home ground advantage to me means more than playing on familiar turf, it is having the majority of crowd on your side.  (Look at last night, Adelaide v Brisbane). Huge crowds add atmosphere. Huge one sided crowds can only be an advantage. 

Perhaps I’m selectively listening but I always hear Goody and players encouraging our fans to turn up and support our boys. I don’t think they are saying that just to try and raise more revenue for the club.

I also have heard the players and coach from Collingwood on a number of occasions say how they love the crowd support they get and how it feels like they have a 19th man on the ground. It certainly works to their advantage.

Why do all teams dread playing an interstate team on their home turf in the finals? I think the crowd factor rather than the shape of the ground is the greater concern. 

In contrast, it was interesting to note how pretty much most players from all teams in the Covid lockdown games said it felt flat and missed the crowd support.

I could go on but I won’t….. who knows, I could be wrong….again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Home ground advantage to me means more than playing on familiar turf, it is having the majority of crowd on your side.  (Look at last night, Adelaide v Brisbane). Huge crowds add atmosphere. Huge one sided crowds can only be an advantage. 

Perhaps I’m selectively listening but I always hear Goody and players encouraging our fans to turn up and support our boys. I don’t think they are saying that just to try and raise more revenue for the club.

I also have heard the players and coach from Collingwood on a number of occasions say how they love the crowd support they get and how it feels like they have a 19th man on the ground. It certainly works to their advantage.

Why do all teams dread playing an interstate team on their home turf in the finals? I think the crowd factor rather than the shape of the ground is the greater concern. 

In contrast, it was interesting to note how pretty much most players from all teams in the Covid lockdown games said it felt flat and missed the crowd support.

Even the noise in last year's finals was pretty flat the whole game.

Stark different to 2018 finals series.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Even the noise in last year's finals was pretty flat the whole game.

Stark different to 2018 finals series.

Agree, can’t compare it to the 2018 finals ( I unfortunately wasn’t there) but can to the 2021 series :). It felt like I was attending another home and away game. Shame really.

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, DemonWA said:

Freo have got their game in shape since that loss. Do you watch the games at all or just look at the results and post trash?!

I'm welcome to have my opinion on Freo bring a good or average side. I can only base this on the season's results thus far. Their position on the ladder....outside the 8 and a % lower then some sides below them and the few teams they have beaten ....yes in the games I have watched , including North. ( have you?).

And of course DemonWA, you are well entitled to believe otherwise based on their recent better form, I suppose.

That aside, having a different opinion doesn't give you the prerogative to call my opinion trash. More so when my mine is based on incontrovertible facts and not mere opinion like yours. There have to be some metrics in determining what constitutes a good side. Most people would accept the ones I offered above to the subjective knee jerk opinion of yours.

The truth is, your post is incredibly juvenile. Best of luck in life. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, poita said:

I can't be bothered reading this entire thread, but it's clear to me that there are two types of Melbourne supporters. One who were calling for change 10 games into Mark Neeld's coaching career when it was clear that we were going rapidly backwards, and two who would still be preaching patience and positivity after five years of watching him destroy the club. I know which attitude is more likely to lead to success. 

And then there’s the category that you and your ilk fit into, who said we got lucky in 2018 on the back of a good run and we’re calling for Goodwin throughout 2019 and 2020.

The same group who failed to acknowledge the improvement defensively and in team first approach through the back end of 2020. The negativity and meltdowns continued through 2021 when we drew with Hawthorn, lost to GWS and failed to tag Daniel when we lost to the Dogs in our second meeting in 2021.

You and your ilk conveniently like to forget your stance through that period 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Reckon therell be more than 20k bluebaggers..

Maybe not after 3/4 if getting dacked.

Find out friday lol

I hope you are correct. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Then we are doomed to never win a gf at the G. The other team will always have more vocal supporters. Seems like playing gf’s away from the G is not a bad idea. On top of that a number of clubs have their home ground at the G. Melb vs Pies will always have more vocal supporters than us. Probably accounts for why they beat us there on a regular basis. I have thought for some time playing at the G has no big advantage for us. As spectators is just easier to get in and get a seat most weeks.

Edited by old dee

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Then we are doomed to never win a gf at the G. The other team will always have more vocal supporters. Seems like playing gf’s away from the G is not a bad idea. On top of that a number of clubs have their home ground at the G. Melb vs Pies will always have more vocal supporters than us. Probably accounts for why they beat us there on a regular basis. 

Somewhat ashamed I would have to say that Melbourne was advantaged by playing the finals in Perth.  Absolute fact is that WA hopped on board with the Demons and they were LOUD. 

Totally agree that the Pies supporters have in the recent past (particularly last time we played them last year) helped get their team over the line.

Going forward, yes I do feel our lack of crowd support is bit of an issue. It certainly doesn’t help us.

Perhaps it’s not all doom and gloom.  We could rely on neutrals to hop on board come finals when we play teams that most of us collectively hate- Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon… the list goes on.  Of course I’m somewhat desperately taking some hopeful liberties here.

On a more serious note I do wonder (without having any evidence whatsoever) about how many neutrals hopped on board the Hawthorn and Geelong hate train with us in the 2018 finals series - hence the noise, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

And then there’s the category that you and your ilk fit into, who said we got lucky in 2018 on the back of a good run and we’re calling for Goodwin throughout 2019 and 2020.

The same group who failed to acknowledge the improvement defensively and in team first approach through the back end of 2020. The negativity and meltdowns continued through 2021 when we drew with Hawthorn, lost to GWS and failed to tag Daniel when we lost to the Dogs in our second meeting in 2021.

You and your ilk conveniently like to forget your stance through that period 

It is almost impossible to believe of any demon fan, but I sometime wonder if some posters actually understand how difficult it is to win a flag.

Goody won a flag the season before last.

Finished second on the ladder after the 2022 season (and yes went out in straight sets - but surely everyone knows by now that we entered the final with up to 11 players under injury clouds - and played like that).

We currently sit fourth on the ladder at almost the halfway point of the 2023 and almost all teams have played each other once (and will have after the next round).

So, leaving aside anyone's assessment of where we are at, be that postesr here or the media, the objective truth of the ladder is that we currently have the fourth best record of any team in the AFL.

And people can talk all they want about our forward line and scoring ability, but again the objective fact is that we have a higher percentage than the Pies, a team people still seem to rabbit on about their scoring power.

It is remarkable because the Pies have won a full three more games than us. Three less wins - and yet we still have a higher percentage.

The Pies have now played one of the two real easy beats in North (who we get to play again, and they don't by the way) and 11 rounds of AFL football is more than enough to level out any of the fixturing anomalies that might make such a comparison hard after say 5 rounds. And it is worth noting that of the Pies' 11 games, 8 have been played at the MCG. That's a pretty good leg up for them scoring wise. 

Some argue the Lions have the best forward line in the AFL. After 11 rounds, they have won one more game, yet we have almost 10 percentage points more - despite the leg up they get playing their Gabba fortress. 

And Port is considered not a bad attacking side and have a decent forward line and have won two more games than us. Yet we are a whopping 22 percentage points clear of them.

After we smashed the Hawks no one was talking about our forward line problems. In fact, we were being lauded for our historically high spread of goal kickers. Yet we have two average games against two good teams and its panic stations.

And against Freo we actually got our chances, we just didn't take them. as reflected in the expected score which had us at plus 35.

Bottom line, Goody has made it clear he isnt about one flag. Or two.  He is about setting up an environment where we are in contention for a flag for many years. In that he has clearly taken a line through how the Cats have gone about doing so, who won flag in Scotts first year (a team that was strong already), remained contender for the next 9 years before winning a second flag for that group. And are contenders again this season. 

But some are seriously suggesting Goody lucked out, or we need a reboot. I mean really? The objective fact simply do not support such a view. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

59 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

If you haven't experienced the environment at a Port or Crows (or Eagles) game, it's hard to describe. Yep - both games in our finals run in 2018 felt like we owned the G. We don't get much of that during the year.

I was in Adelaide last week and went to the Port game with the son and heir, and then went on Saturday. Chalk and cheese, and I have to believe that it affects even our most professional, self-motivated, and internally driven players (I will make no mention of the umpires).  As I said on Saturday's game day thread,  the game had 2041 Melbourne vs Freo at 4:20 on Sunday vibes. Freezing, empty stands, polite clapping. Freo supporters made as much noise as we did, with tiny numbers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

If you haven't experienced the environment at a Port or Crows (or Eagles) game, it's hard to describe. Yep - both games in our finals run in 2018 felt like we owned the G. We don't get much of that during the year.

I was in Adelaide last week and went to the Port game with the son and heir, and then went on Saturday. Chalk and cheese, and I have to believe that it affects even our most professional, self-motivated, and internally driven players (I will make no mention of the umpires).  As I said on Saturday's game day thread,  the game had 2041 Melbourne vs Freo at 4:20 on Sunday vibes. Freezing, empty stands, polite clapping. Freo supporters made as much noise as we did, with tiny numbers. 

Frankie that is never going to change and we just have to accept that the majority of MFC supporters are way too polite. For better or worse we are stuck with that problem. 

• Like 1