Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PODCAST: Rd 11 vs Walyalup

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 29th May @ 8:30pm. Join Binman and I as we analyse Narrm's narrow loss against Yartapuulti at Adelaide Oval.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0191.png

• Love 1

When are we going to question our premiership coach? Or does he get a free pass by merit of 2021?

I believe this season is cooked, can't see any ingenuity or dare from this coach to try and change the momentum of this team. I hope I am wrong though.

If we fail this year, that's already 5 wasted seasons by Goodwin (2017, 2019, 2020, 2022 & 2023), is this acceptable?

You could argue 2017 they were too young, 2019 all the injuries. But what about 2020, 2022 and this year?

• Thanks 1

The main criticism on the boards seems to be about clearances and centre clearances. Looking at the stats though we've beaten Walyalup in contested ball 157 to 141 and pretty much matched them in clearances. 

Are we possibly looking at the wrong area as the issue right now? Was this game more about the lack of execution, cohesion and clean possession?

Need Binman's take on this because I'm finding it very difficult to figure out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hoof Harted said:

For a long time I'd wondered where Binman got his nickname. Although, since this was explained a few weeks ago, my curiosity now has me wondering, what's Binman's real name? 🤣

Garry Baker

:jakovich:

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Our Forward line is completely lost.

Every contest JVR & TMAC and Gawn if he was there were flying for the same ball and we had no one at the feet of them. 

I watched the VFL mini v Werribee and Smith Brown & Schache had better separation. 

IMO Tmac is done. Has to be dropped and Brown has to come in, he looked to be moving well of what I saw! I think Chandler needs a spell too.

What do you guys think? 

• Thanks 2

On 5/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

When are we going to question our premiership coach? Or does he get a free pass by merit of 2021?

I believe this season is cooked, can't see any ingenuity or dare from this coach to try and change the momentum of this team. I hope I am wrong though.

If we fail this year, that's already 5 wasted seasons by Goodwin (2017, 2019, 2020, 2022 & 2023), is this acceptable?

You could argue 2017 they were too young, 2019 all the injuries. But what about 2020, 2022 and this year?

2020 was a total dogs dinner of a season and a coach cannot be blamed for in particular playing in Cairns immediately after a 2 hour flight with an hour plus bus trip at each end. Didn’t even get a warm up then a back to back game.  2 important losses as I recall in the context of the finals. 
2022 we were cooked after a limited off season break and some tough scheduling though we did finish 2nd but on our last legs.  
Fewer excuses for 2023 and 2019. 

3 hours ago, Hoof Harted said:

For a long time I'd wondered where Binman got his nickname. Although, since this was explained a few weeks ago, my curiosity now has me wondering, what's Binman's real name? 🤣

Real name surely is Mr Binman or maybe Lord or Viscount Binman. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Is there any reason tactically that our tall forwards all converge on the bomb and just rarely spread  or lead?  
And our smalls don’t wait down front and behind and crumb the spill.
So frustrating.   

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two questions:

1) Teams that like a forward handball game and who lower their eyes get through our defence way too easily. Can this be solved through more pressure through the middle of the ground? 

2) Do you think Goodwin and the coaching staff have the ability to turn this around mid season? We’re in good health (as opposed to 2019) and have a very talented list which means this is largely a system thing. What changes do you think we need to make?

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Big issue this week with our talls, not separating enough and allowing their opponent to impact a contest as the third man.

Kane Cornes said he doesn't think we need a second Fwd, we should just play JVR and Grundy/Gawn.  Which scares me a bit.

Is it possible that the continual changing of out tall fwd set up means there is no connection?  Should we after the buy set and forget our fwd line? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mandeelorian said:

What has happened to our accuracy in front of goals from set shots? Time to reopen the Chocko Williams Goal Kicking Academy. 

I'm not as worried about this one. Bad days in front of the sticks happen and the conditions were a little blustery, for 10.12 to be our most inaccurate score in ages it's quite a testament to the coaching. 

If it were to continue then there would be a problem but I can see it going back to what we've been used to so far this season pretty quickly. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

Our Forward line is completely lost.Every contest JVR & TMAC and Gawn if he was there were flying for the same ball and we had no one at the feet of them. 
I watched the VFL mini v Werribee and Smith Brown & Schache had better separation. 
IMO Tmac is done. Has to be dropped and Brown has to come in, he looked to be moving well of what I saw! I think Chandler needs a spell too.
What do you guys think? 

Doug asks a good question about our (currently) dysfunctional forward line.  My question relates to the same part of the ground.  
What on earth has happened to the manic forward half pressure which was a hallmark of our game in 2021 and for a good  part of 2022?  Back then, opposition players were looking over their shoulders in fear of being run down by Kossie, Spargs or ANB, but not anymore!
I hate to say it about our beloved Dees, but viewing from my lounge room in the Snowy Mountains, it looks like a work rate issue.  
I’d love to hear the Panel’s views.  
Love the Pod.  Keep up the great work guys!

• Thanks 2

What is wrong with Jake Lever? Surely Petty's absence from the backline shouldn't make that much difference to an elite player's game. Is the change to a more attacking game plan prejudicing his ability to play as an intercept marker, or is he just out of form? I think Jake is one of our five most important players and his lack of influence this year is very worrying.

Edited by Flower Magic
error
  • Thanks 1

Interested to hear the panels thoughts on the Booing of Luke Jackson. I thought it was interesting that the first time he got the ball there was a mixture of Boos and clapping. I was not expecting the clapping and despite the fact that he abandoned us he is a Premiership Player.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your terrific podcast, you do a fantastic job!

I missed the game but am assuming we lost by a good 10-15 goals from the responses on Demonland! We must be out of the finals race!

Looks like the following were problem areas:

- key forwards

- ball movement into forward line with dumping kicks versus what was happening earlier in the year

- goal kicking

- disposal generally ordinary

- a number of players down on form

- selfishness 

Interested on your thoughts re:

- key forwards particularly TMac form and possible replacements?

- ball movement into forward line

- selfishness vs selflessness 

While sensing the frustration after two close losses, can’t the supporter base see what happens to clubs that fire coaches mid-season- it rarely works and they usually go backwards! Stable clubs have more success.

Edited by D4Life
Added comment
  • Thanks 1

What are the 1 or 2 stats that are telling of our problems. The last few weeks we have said effort / pressure, but the last 2 weeks pressure has been ridiculous elite. So the boys are clearly trying.

We say that Goody is being out coached - what is this specifically? Matchups? Team selection? Game plan ? execution?  

There is something clearly off but it’s hard to put the finger on it so keen to get the panels thoughts if it hasn’t been answered yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At this stage in 2022 the Cats were sitting at 7 wins and 4 losses - the same as our record this year. They went on to never lose a game for the rest of the season. 

Just how important is it for our season to win at least one of our next two? 

If we lose to both Carlton and Collingwood we’ll be heading into the Bye with 7 wins and 6 losses. Can our season be salvaged if we drop 4 in a row?

Edited by OhMyDees
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be lot of talk about lack of effort. Is this the case or is it poor execution? It’s the latter for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1