Jump to content

Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


CASEY: Rd 10 vs Werribee


KC from Casey

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Roost it far said:

My view after watching the last 2 games

Jefferson a bust….I’ll sell my house if he makes it

Woewodin almost good enough

Schache uninspiring but maybe needed

Brown cooked like the last snag on the bbq at 10pm on GF night

Sestan miles away

MW never make it

Turner play him in the ones FFS

Melksham yesterdays news

 

I saw the Casey game and I’m worried.  
Lucas Cook.  Sam Weideman.  Let’s hope Jefferson does make it.  

The JT pick worried me at the time.  After the weekend, it still worries me !!! We live in hope. 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 9:29 PM, Roost it far said:

Relax, I’d love the kid to make it. I just look at him play and see nothing special. 

Just so I don't offend you; what are your expectations of a 19yr old, 195cm, 86kg forward in the first year? What makes the same player a bust in your myopic view.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, dworship said:

Just so I don't offend you; what are your expectations of a 19yr old, 195cm, 86kg forward in the first year? What makes the same player a bust in your myopic view.

There’s no presence, like comparing Jack Watts and Jonathan Brown. Same size, same skills…..very different outcome. Jefferson doesn’t have Watts skills either.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 5:08 PM, Roost it far said:

My view after watching the last 2 games

Jefferson a bust….I’ll sell my house if he makes it

 

I was against the recruitment of Jefferson. Said at the time there were no highlights in his highlight reel. Nothing stood out about any if his attributes. Was howled down at the time,

But....we recruited him and he is young and slight. Needs to get 10kgs and some mongrel to make an impact. I think its almost impossible to train mongrel though. You can see from JVR that he relishes a hard contest and really throws his body in. That's largely innate. 

Still, we support MJ until proven otherwise. Taylor has runs on the board.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I was against the recruitment of Jefferson. Said at the time there were no highlights in his highlight reel. Nothing stood out about any if his attributes. Was howled down at the time,

But....we recruited him and he is young and slight. Needs to get 10kgs and some mongrel to make an impact. I think its almost impossible to train mongrel though. You can see from JVR that he relishes a hard contest and really throws his body in. That's largely innate. 

Still, we support MJ until proven otherwise. Taylor has runs on the board.

I’m not not supporting him, I just don’t see him making it. It’s just my opinion and in a world full of them it’s meaningless……although likely correct 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dworship said:

Just so I don't offend you; what are your expectations of a 19yr old, 195cm, 86kg forward in the first year? What makes the same player a bust in your myopic view.

As I've said I watched Jefferson in 4 games & you would expect a high draft pick like him to show something at VFL level, not to star or dominate but the odd sign of future potential but all I've seen is Michael Newton or Lucas Cook so far.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

As I've said I watched Jefferson in 4 games & you would expect a high draft pick like him to show something at VFL level, not to star or dominate but the odd sign of future potential but all I've seen is Michael Newton or Lucas Cook so far.

So you saw nothing when he kicked four goals in only his second game against the Swans? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Re Jefferson, I've said it previously, but we are not helping him by having Brown, Schache, Smith, Sestan & Melksham playing ahead of him in the forward line.

I still think Brown can offer something this year, and Sestan is a work in progress, but the others are clearly impeding Jefferson's development.

That said, Jefferson looks a million miles off at the moment and that is a concern. Van Rooyen had an impact at Casey last year, and is still getting pushed around at AFL level. How is Jefferson going to make the leap when he can't get involved in the VFL?

  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, poita said:

Re Jefferson, I've said it previously, but we are not helping him by having Brown, Schache, Smith, Sestan & Melksham playing ahead of him in the forward line.

I still think Brown can offer something this year, and Sestan is a work in progress, but the others are clearly impeding Jefferson's development.

That said, Jefferson looks a million miles off at the moment and that is a concern. Van Rooyen had an impact at Casey last year, and is still getting pushed around at AFL level. How is Jefferson going to make the leap when he can't get involved in the VFL?

2 of those could be gone next year and another pre season and weights etc, could see him add some more muscle, which will help his development.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dee-tox said:

So you saw nothing when he kicked four goals in only his second game against the Swans? 

Just to be fair I think a couple of those were pretty soft including one handed to him in the goal square where he was standing by himself on the goal line. JVR kicked 36 goals last year and crashed packs and took plenty of marks around the ground. Some people (not me) were calling for his promotion to the AFL in the last half of the VFL season.

I'm not prepared to write MJ off but his output atm is a concern he looks way off the pace even as a young lightly built forward.

He has the remainder of this season to try and impact more - if he hasn't progressed at all by the end of the season, I think it's not unreasonable to start having some doubts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

Just to be fair I think a couple of those were pretty soft including one handed to him in the goal square where he was standing by himself on the goal line. JVR kicked 36 goals last year and crashed packs and took plenty of marks around the ground. Some people (not me) were calling for his promotion to the AFL in the last half of the VFL season.

I'm not prepared to write MJ off but his output atm is a concern he looks way off the pace even as a young lightly built forward.

He has the remainder of this season to try and impact more - if he hasn't progressed at all by the end of the season, I think it's not unreasonable to start having some doubts. 

Exactly right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2023 at 8:24 PM, Roost it far said:

There’s no presence, like comparing Jack Watts and Jonathan Brown. Same size, same skills…..very different outcome. Jefferson doesn’t have Watts skills either.

I'm fascinated by the comparison and the 20/20 hindsight. So you saw presence in Brown and none in Watts in the first 6months of their respective careers. Can you give a more detailed explanation of "presence" or is it just a vibe?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2023 at 9:39 PM, Roost it far said:

I’m not not supporting him, I just don’t see him making it. It’s just my opinion and in a world full of them it’s meaningless……although likely correct 😂

You're right. It's meaningless.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't a fan of the Jefferson selection at all last year, still not, but I'm not willing to write him off straight away.

The games I've seen him play this year has so far been disappointing with his output 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jefferson is a great mark and a good kick. He is a different player than JVR and doesn’t have the size to impose himself - not unlike Fritch. He has more in his kit bag than Cook and Newton and let’s not forget Watts played 200 games. If we get 200 games from Jefferson we’ve done well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dworship said:

I'm fascinated by the comparison and the 20/20 hindsight. So you saw presence in Brown and none in Watts in the first 6months of their respective careers. Can you give a more detailed explanation of "presence" or is it just a vibe?

Jonathan Brown oozed presence. A blind man could see it. Watts never had it, that was clear from day 1. It's not to say he was soft because none of them are. It's just that some players live for the contest and others don't.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I too, was not overly enthusiastic when we took Jefferson. I became enthusiastic with his VFL start and have tempered again. My worry with drafting Jefferson was he was not a high possession winning junior, but he could lead, mark and kick straight.

What I have liked about watching him at VFL he showed he was not a one trick pony as a leading forward, he has manufactured goals in other ways. He is a kid who has been pushing his body to the limits and he was always going to taper off. No need to catastrophise yet.. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So 18 year old 95kg man-child Jonathan Brown and 18 year old 95kg man-child Jacob Van Rooyen had 'presence' at a in their first year but developing 80kg tall forward Matt Jefferson won't make it because he doesn't have presence. 

Cool insights. 

Interestingly, in his first 8 games Van Rooyen had 54 disposals (7.1 per game) which included one game where he had 22 possessions (in a game where we kicked 177 points in a 110 point win), and 3 games where he didn't even have 6 touches. In that time he kicked 15 goals 6 behinds. He also got the freedom of playing part time ruck to pad some of those numbers.

In his first 8 games, Jefferson had 64 disposals (8 per game) and kicked 10 goals 8 behinds. It backs up my thoughts that generally people are terrible at remembering the past. Jefferson is basically performing as well as Roo at this point of his career despite being far less developed. 

What I think is really interesting is that prior to Ben Brown coming into the VFL team in round 5, Jefferson averaged 10.5 disposals, 3.8 marks and 3.3 shots at goal per game. When he plays with Brown those numbers drop to 5.2 disposals, 2.6 marks and 1.2 shots at goal per game. Also interestingly, when we only played 2 recognised tall forwards (in rounds 2, 3, and 4), he kicked 7 goals. 

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

So 18 year old 95kg man-child Jonathan Brown and 18 year old 95kg man-child Jacob Van Rooyen had 'presence' at a in their first year but developing 80kg tall forward Matt Jefferson won't make it because he doesn't have presence. 

Cool insights. 

Interestingly, in his first 8 games Van Rooyen had 54 disposals (7.1 per game) which included one game where he had 22 possessions (in a game where we kicked 177 points in a 110 point win), and 3 games where he didn't even have 6 touches. In that time he kicked 15 goals 6 behinds. He also got the freedom of playing part time ruck to pad some of those numbers.

In his first 8 games, Jefferson had 64 disposals (8 per game) and kicked 10 goals 8 behinds. It backs up my thoughts that generally people are terrible at remembering the past. Jefferson is basically performing as well as Roo at this point of his career despite being far less developed. 

What I think is really interesting is that prior to Ben Brown coming into the VFL team in round 5, Jefferson averaged 10.5 disposals, 3.8 marks and 3.3 shots at goal per game. When he plays with Brown those numbers drop to 5.2 disposals, 2.6 marks and 1.2 shots at goal per game. Also interestingly, when we only played 2 recognised tall forwards (in rounds 2, 3, and 4), he kicked 7 goals. 

Will watch his game tomorrow with added interest. He doesn't look like he wants it too much. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Bystander
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

Jefferson is a great mark and a good kick. He is a different player than JVR and doesn’t have the size to impose himself - not unlike Fritch. He has more in his kit bag than Cook and Newton and let’s not forget Watts played 200 games. If we get 200 games from Jefferson we’ve done well. 

watts played 153 games with mfc, 21 with pafc, and was dropped by every single coach he had at afl level

i hope we get a lot more out of jefferson than we ever did with watts

the most we ever got out of watts was the draft pick we used to pick fritsch

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

So 18 year old 95kg man-child Jonathan Brown and 18 year old 95kg man-child Jacob Van Rooyen had 'presence' at a in their first year but developing 80kg tall forward Matt Jefferson won't make it because he doesn't have presence. 

Cool insights. 

Interestingly, in his first 8 games Van Rooyen had 54 disposals (7.1 per game) which included one game where he had 22 possessions (in a game where we kicked 177 points in a 110 point win), and 3 games where he didn't even have 6 touches. In that time he kicked 15 goals 6 behinds. He also got the freedom of playing part time ruck to pad some of those numbers.

In his first 8 games, Jefferson had 64 disposals (8 per game) and kicked 10 goals 8 behinds. It backs up my thoughts that generally people are terrible at remembering the past. Jefferson is basically performing as well as Roo at this point of his career despite being far less developed. 

What I think is really interesting is that prior to Ben Brown coming into the VFL team in round 5, Jefferson averaged 10.5 disposals, 3.8 marks and 3.3 shots at goal per game. When he plays with Brown those numbers drop to 5.2 disposals, 2.6 marks and 1.2 shots at goal per game. Also interestingly, when we only played 2 recognised tall forwards (in rounds 2, 3, and 4), he kicked 7 goals. 

Ok, bar stats, which can be used to show basically anything, what is it you see in Jefferson that excites you? I mean I watch him and I just don't see an imposing AFL forward in the making. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Ok, bar stats, which can be used to show basically anything what is it you see in Jefferson that excites you. I mean I watch him and I just don't see an imposing AFL forward in the making. 

I'm concerned by him as well..

...but he reads the ball well in flight, has good hands and can kick.

I would love him to come out and take over the forward line at Casey, saying get out of the way old men to BBB and Tommy, you've had your time.

That's not going to happen.

He's going to be an interesting watch.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Jonathan Brown oozed presence. A blind man could see it. Watts never had it, that was clear from day 1. It's not to say he was soft because none of them are. It's just that some players live for the contest and others don't.

If Watts was with us now, he would be best 22 every week.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    ICEBREAKER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter. The game played in mild Autumn conditions in neutral territory at Kinetic Park, Frankston, never reached great heights in standard but it proved gripping in character at the end at the Casey Demons overcame the Borough to win by 15 points after trailing badly early in the second half.  P

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out. Melbourne managed the first goal from Alex Neal-Bullen but after that the visitors shut out every area of Demon presence around the ground except in the ruck duels. It was a mauling.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 153

    PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 15th April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Lions in the Round 05. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIV

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 47

    VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

    POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    It's Game Day & Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 833

    TRAINING: Wednesday 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training. KEV MARTIN'S CAPTAIN'S RUN OBSERVATIONS No-one in rehab this morning, a Captain's run, 26 players. Laurie, Tomlinson, Tholstrup, Chandler, Woey, and Kossie are out there. Rehabbers are out now. Marty, McAdam, Melky, Bowey, Sestan. As a guess for in and outs, I would say, out Laurie, Tomlinson, and W

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND: Good evening, Demon fans and welcome to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast … It’s been a beautiful last day of September and how sweet it is to bring you our coverage of all things that matter about the great Demon resurgence which we’ve seen over the past six or seven months. How our team overcame a turbulent off season and a disappointing start to 2024 on a humid night in Sydney, turned our detractors into believers and then ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 3
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...