Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

4 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Need to vent about this.

Brayshaws deliberate out of bounds whilst leaping to spoil a pass to a Richmond player. What the F was he supposed to do differently?

Push in the back in full view of the umpire on the same wing by the tall young kid for Richmond. (Don’t get me started on pushing in the back in general, but this was as CLEAR as it gets) 

Genuinely don’t like umpire bashing, but the ANB non-50 and the two I mentioned (probably many others), I cannot see how those outcomes were reached and how there could be so many horrible decisions in one game. 

Gussy has punched the ball away in a contest an absolute disgrace, what else would you suggest he does ump.

• Like 8
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, SPC said:

Still worried about how we handle ground balls in our back half.. we just cannot stop the opposition. 
Wins wallpaper cracks.

Let’s soak up the joy of a win, even if it’s just for tonight. We can do the critiquing starting tomorrow morning.

YEAH THE MIGHTY DEES!!!

• Like 9
  • Love 8

I’m a seasoned Demonlander but even so I’m surprised at the negativity in this thread. 

That was a high pressure game for 3.5 quarters in front of a massive crowd. We started poorly, but the incredulously bad umpiring didn’t help. A 50-point turnaround is something we should be impressed with, not describing as “papering over cracks”. 

We have to stop expecting to blow every side off the park, or to be leading start to finish, or to be flawless. The competition is too even for that. What I want to see is improvement in key areas of concern. We started tonight leaking goals from innocuous inside 50s but ended it with our intercepting game in much better shape (what a difference Lever and Gawn make). 

No idea why Hibberd is copping so much heat, thought his job on Cumberland and his strength in contest was critical to us evening the game out. As others have said, Grundy’s third quarter stoppage and ruckwork helped turn the game, but I also thought Langdon and Hunter were huge in the middle two quarters when the pressure was right on. 

I’m far from convinced about Petty as a forward but we have to pick a spot and leave him there. Can’t keep flipping him between forward and back. 

• Like 43
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, monoccular said:

That interpretation has NEVER been adjudicated before.   Every game we see times when. there are 2 on the mark and several alongside - and it has NEVER been paid before.

Sure, but again that doesn't mean the umpire is cheating, making up his own rules or calling your favourite player a doody head. It's also not an interpretation - it's black and white, written in clear English with a picture attached. In terms of AFL laws it doesn't get any clearer.

It's also something that has been a rule for quite some time. Make it as obvious as Lever did (running straight to the man on the mark) and you're quite rightly going to get pinged.

Edited by deva5610
  • Like 2

Just now, monoccular said:

Yes, some work needed but wow!  Stood up when needed.  A very competitive beast in a marking contest.  

The "some work needed" was my call at about half way through the third for him to hit the gym and bulk up / get his strength up a bit more Mono as he was getting pushed around a bit too easily early on from what i was witnessing.

I did also say he was good for a speckie from behind and called for Max to go forward.  But yes hand up, the comment on Rooh was (in the main) proven to be a shocker in the end.

• Like 1

Just now, deva5610 said:

Sure, but again that doesn't mean the umpire is cheating, making up his own rules or calling your favourite player a doody head.

It is a rule and has been for quite some time. Make it as obvious as Lever did (running straight to the man on the mark) and you're quite rightly going to get pinged.

All we want is consistency. The umpires pick and choose when to pay frees for certain rules. One week you can’t breathe near an umpire. The next week you can go off at them. One week touching a player with a feather after a mark is a 50. The next week you can be smashed to the ground after a mark and it’s play on. 
If that is a rule, fine. I just want to see it paid every time it happens. Which is about 15 times a game. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Reads We have to be careful with Hibbo rest him when he needs it preserve him for a finals assault in September.

Always loved his intensity, you need players of that ilk if your balls deep in September.

How clutch is Chandler by the way?

Agree, Hibberd needs to be managed to be cherry ripe for the big games.  Reads the incoming ball so well and is so strong & reliable in the contest.  Plays on nearly all types from Charlie Cameron who he’s owned for years, to much taller types.  Can still break a line and is very reliable by foot.  Might be his last year, but is one of the first picked down back for me. 

So pleased for Chandler, he looked a million miles off in the very beginning, but hard-work is starting to pay off.  So much more likely to hit the scoreboard from between 40 to 50 metres than Spargo.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Richmond without Lynch and Nankervis (and Broad, Soldo, Gibcus and Graham) are ordinary but they were very keen for the game and we did well to grind it back our way.

The backline has ball use under pressure and tempo problems. They need to both commit to more attacking footy and pick their moments better. Lever, you’re a long and wide guy. Hibbo, you’re a pick your moments guy. Pleasingly Gus used it better than normal.

Mids did a good job. Big 3 all had moments and Langdon was a machine: Sparrow and JJ both worked hard. Grundy couldn’t play much worse early but came in to it. Hunter doesn’t have much left but is working hard, he didn’t trust his kicking tonight. 

Forwards…. Well it took 3 quarters but they got their in the end. Gawn’s presence was important. Chandler solid. The kid broke it open. Fritsch - pull your finger out mate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

Did anyone else think the umpiring was questionable, or was that just me?

Questionable is putting it lightly. The Gussy deliberate was outrageously unjust. I’m not usually one to bag the umpires but some of the decisions tonight were blatantly wrong. Credit to us for winning despite all the gifts Richmond received.

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I’m a seasoned Demonlander but even so I’m surprised at the negativity in this thread. 

That was a high pressure game for 3.5 quarters in front of a massive crowd. We started poorly, but the incredulously bad umpiring didn’t help. A 50-point turnaround is something we should be impressed with, not describing as “papering over cracks”. 

We have to stop expecting to blow every side off the park, or to be leading start to finish, or to be flawless. The competition is too even for that. What I want to see is improvement in key areas of concern. We started tonight leaking goals from innocuous inside 50s but ended it with our intercepting game in much better shape (what a difference Lever and Gawn make). 

No idea why Hibberd is copping so much heat, thought his job on Cumberland and his strength in contest was critical to us evening the game out. As others have said, Grundy’s third quarter stoppage and ruckwork helped turn the game, but I also thought Langdon and Hunter were huge in the middle two quarters when the pressure was right on. 

I’m far from convinced about Petty as a forward but we have to pick a spot and leave him there. Can’t keep flipping him between forward and back. 

Just got home. This is spot on. Richmond brought the heat tonight, and the umpires just added to it. That was an incredibly hard game, and we came from 25 points down to win.

For those of you critical of that game give some credit to the competition, and acknowledge that on the whole teams have had 2 years of watching us and trying to figure out how to beat us. Our system is a known entity. That it holds up so well under pressure is a credit to the effort of the players.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Petty isn’t a forward and needs to go back.

Hibbo is done unless injures dictate he plays,  he gets beaten way too often these days and has lost a step, I counted his direct opponents kicking 4 goals tonight possibly more.

While I agree Petty isn’t a forward and ultimately needs to go back he took some important contested marks in a side missing Brown, TMac and JVR unsighted at that stage.

As for Hibberd we must have been watching a different game. He adds intensity and is important to our backline, especially at ground level. He shut Cumberland down after quarter time so who were the direct opponents who kicked 4 plus on him?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

All we want is consistency. The umpires pick and choose when to pay frees for certain rules. One week you can’t breathe near an umpire. The next week you can go off at them. One week touching a player with a feather after a mark is a 50. The next week you can be smashed to the ground after a mark and it’s play on. 
If that is a rule, fine. I just want to see it paid every time it happens. Which is about 15 times a game. 

This I agree with. The standard of umpiring tonight was appalling. The consistency with how they umpire is not great.

This is sadly the best we can expect while umpires are part time and essentially doing it as a hobby for some extra cash. If we want improvements then the discussion needs to be started on making the umpires a professional organisation with a full time career path for the ones selected to adjudicate AFL games. The fact that they aren't in a billion dollar league is laughable.

The AFL has said that if they were to go down this path then some umpires would want to leave. Well - Good. If some aren't willing to put in the time and effort required to improve the standard of umpiring league wide that moving to a full time position would afford, then why would we want to keep them?

Rant over.

P.S - All of that said, they aren't cheats and the 50 paid against Lever still wasn't making up rules as they go along.

Edited by deva5610
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Questionable is putting it lightly. The Gussy deliberate was outrageously unjust. I’m not usually one to bag the umpires but some of the decisions tonight were blatantly wrong. Credit to us for winning despite all the gifts Richmond received.

Ball had bounced, no? Marking contest is fine but you can’t spoil a bounced ball directly over line.

The Gus holding the ball a far bigger crime against the sport 

• Like 3

Don’t underestimate the win, we’re a fair way off our best but I’d like to see us not make to many changes and get some continuity to build and be hitting our best from Rd 16 onwards.

Richmond brought serious heat tonight with their season on the line with 1 win thus far. They scrapped all night and played high tempo surge footy. They got numbers around the contest and looked to get it outside and surge before checking the inside 50 kick as we rolled back. Second half we got back to basics just getting it forward and then rolling up to force them to kick to contests. Clarry wasn’t his usual clean self but bought into getting it forward. Trac in the 4th was the same. JV awesome 4quarter effort 

May looks to me to be carrying a back issue mobility not great, carrying a little extra weight suggesting training program may be limited.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Travy14 said:

Good win,  sometimes you need to grind it out.  I usually hate umpire bashing because I try take my Red and Blue glasses off but it is hard.  But after scrolling through twitter I wasn't alone in thinking it was horrible and sided with Rich.

The worst part for me was that not only were we getting absolutely reamed with decisions causing multiple goal swings in the first half alone, the nuffie Richmond supporters (and players *Riewoldt*) were still sooking it up as if they were being hard done by! Does my head in, at least be quiet or acknowledge when you're getting a good run.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I will take the win but was not impressed with some of our mistakes. Too many of them all through the game. We look a little lost coming out of defence but I will give the tigers credit for their pressure. People are bagging our defence but they only let 6 goals through after 1/4 time although the tiges did kick poorly but May and Pig were okay. May is clearly injured.

I am now going to whinge about the umpires. In the first half they were an absolute disgrace. The ANB non 50 and the push in the back awarded to them in the 2nd were right out of how much am I being payed by the AFL textbook. The free awarded to Rioli in the 3rd against Brayshaw when he did not even tackle him was psychodelic.

Edited by dl4e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1