Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 05 vs Essendon

Demonland

9 hours ago, Macca said:

It isn't going to fail layz

I'm tempted to go all in on it being a resounding success (ongoing) but I'll take the conservative view for now

However, one issue is that the Melb/Ess and Pies/Saints are not on free-to-air.  That's an error that can't happen again

3rd vs 4th & 1st vs 5th have to be beamed in to a mass audience

The double-header concept on Sat/Sun ensures that ticket sales will be healthy (both sellouts?)

It can't not succeed Macca I agree, I'm just being that guy. As Dworship said the kitty has already been filled as a result.

I think it could be one of those things that keeps getting better with more tweaks to make the fan experience more enjoyable. I was thinking last night about this prospect: Gather Round as the first round to open the season.

Interested to hear the Pro Gather Rounders thoughts. 

20 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks heavens Gil's still making money for the AFL.  If not for AFL support and the money they'd made through these evil "money making idea's" we'd be gone years ago and COVID would have decimated the competition.  Many more club staff would have been without a jobs, players wouldn't have been paid and would have looked for other professions, the public wouldn't have had footy as Dan put us into home detention for months on end and as a result many more of us would have suffered mental illness.

Footy survived because the AFL looked for "money-making ideas" and were financially robust enough to maintain the game in the most challenging of circumstances.  We will receive (reportedly) $500,000 to $800,000 for the Gather round.  Maybe some of the phyio's and other player support staff that lost their job during COVID will find their way back into the industry and if it isn't them then others who provide support for our players will take their place.  

What on earth is wrong with making money?  Without it the game dies.  The Gather round provides an extra meaningful game of footy rather than a meaningless practice game. It will provide Adelaide with a fantastic economic boost to business still struggling after COVID, it will make the AFL stronger which makes the whole competition stronger.

Make money Gil, that's what I say.  Who knows when the next pandemic is going to hit or some other circumstance beyond the AFL's control descends upon us.  The prospect of a financially struggling AFL and its impacts are too depressing to think about.

The AFL survived covid on the back of continuing to charge membership subs for people unable to attend games; pushing ahead with games by forcing clubs/players into hubs and playing games all over the country on 4 day breaks to ensure the tv money kept rolling; and by taking out a line of credit on Docklands, something they were able to do due to the VFL's purchase and subsequent selling of Waverley 60 years prior.

The reason people are cynical about the AFL and it's money making is because often it comes at the expense of the integrity of the game and the wishes of supporters. For example the AFL makes a tonne of money off of their relationship with gambling companies but the trade off is constant bombardment of gambling advertising which is extremely problematic especially when you consider a large portion of the audience are kids.

You can applaud the AFL "making money" but I'd rather they stick to integrity of the sport.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The AFL survived covid on the back of continuing to charge membership subs for people unable to attend games; pushing ahead with games by forcing clubs/players into hubs and playing games all over the country on 4 day breaks to ensure the tv money kept rolling; and by taking out a line of credit on Docklands, something they were able to do due to the VFL's purchase and subsequent selling of Waverley 60 years prior.

The reason people are cynical about the AFL and it's money making is because often it comes at the expense of the integrity of the game and the wishes of supporters. For example the AFL makes a tonne of money off of their relationship with gambling companies but the trade off is constant bombardment of gambling advertising which is extremely problematic especially when you consider a large portion of the audience are kids.

You can applaud the AFL "making money" but I'd rather they stick to integrity of the sport.

Apparently Gil was in Canberra at the federal inquiry into gambling last week explaining to the government that AFL would never survive if not for gambling $$$...  NRL was there saying the same thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

I think the success of this round will come down to the ability of Adelaide to cope with the  mass interstate influx. It’s the perfect location for a national competition. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kev martin said:

Gather round "free to air" (FTA) broadcast.

Looks like QLD, WA, NSW, get to watch their teams on FTA.

VIC get to watch; Adelaide v Carlton,  Richmond v Sydney, Port v Bulldogs, Giants v Hawthorn, on free to air.

Not Collingwood v Saints, or Melbourne v Essendon. 

if they are pushing all into one state, why don't they maximise the exposure of VIC teams on FTA?

They give the other States access on FTA on all their teams, even SA.

At least I get the replay on AFL live the next day.

Screenshot_20230411-181604_Chrome.jpg

To be honest I'm glad we don't get the channel 7 nuffies on commentary

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Apparently Gil was in Canberra at the federal inquiry into gambling last week explaining to the government that AFL would never survive if not for gambling $$$...  NRL was there saying the same thing.  

Yep and it also came out that the AFL gets a cut of every bet placed on AFL matches. So it is in their interest to push gambling because the more people lose, the more the AFL gain.

Oh, clubs can't own pokies though, that's a big no no because it allows clubs financial independence and doesn't make money for the executive. 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/apr/04/afl-receives-cut-of-gambling-turnover-outside-sponsorship-inquiry-hears#:~:text=“We have product fee arrangements,inquiry into online gambling harm.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

It can't not succeed Macca I agree, I'm just being that guy. As Dworship said the kitty has already been filled as a result.

I think it could be one of those things that keeps getting better with more tweaks to make the fan experience more enjoyable. I was thinking last night about this prospect: Gather Round as the first round to open the season.

Ch7 & Cable/Streaming are forking out $Billions so you have to look after your customers with the odd freebie

If they dispense with practice games altogether then 1 or 2 more rounds might be added ... another gather round?  Perth  Brisbane, Tassie and maybe Sydney might want a slice of the action and may not want to wait around 5 years for their turn

The State govenments will see it as money well spent in terms of the $$$'s coming in

Edited by Macca

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Most people can get Kayo at a reasonable price if they can’t afford Foxtel so I don’t see this as a major issue.

Really!

The four or five games, when not a home game or not broadcast on FTA, I could pay what, $300 for a stream service. 

When I have to watch my spending, it seems a bit extravagant.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-12/one-million-in-poverty-nsw-gap-worsening-sydney/102206262

Assume the same in Vic, as 90% of the benefits/profits of a wealthy society go to the already wealthy top 10%

Lobby groups and media, have really stuffed us, by skewing legislation and public opinion towards a mean hearted, selfish society.  

Edited by kev martin

44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To be honest I'm glad we don't get the channel 7 nuffies on commentary

I was trying to make the point, about non-Vic states getting a live broadcast of all their teams.

I would assume it is not just on gather weekend, but all season.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yep and it also came out that the AFL gets a cut of every bet placed on AFL matches. So it is in their interest to push gambling because the more people lose, the more the AFL gain.

Oh, clubs can't own pokies though, that's a big no no because it allows clubs financial independence and doesn't make money for the executive. 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/apr/04/afl-receives-cut-of-gambling-turnover-outside-sponsorship-inquiry-hears#:~:text=“We have product fee arrangements,inquiry into online gambling harm.

I did not realise this. Commercially it makes sense of course. I watched the swans match with my 7yo on free to air for the first time and honestly felt quite uncomfortable with the amount of ads and Nathan Brown pushing punting. I turned it off half way through. Now, totally each to their own, AND it’s an indictment on the AFL to normalise punting to go hand in hand with the game, irrespective of the ‘remedial’ work they do, be it via public education or advertisement to ‘know your limits’. That won’t work*for kids exposed for 18 years weekly that AFL and gambling neatly coexist and are a normal part of culture.
* nor do they give a damn…

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 8
  • Angry 1

For anyone travelling to Adelaide and to the locals, there will be a training session (Captains Run) on Friday apparently. Details will be updated on the club site sometime today.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I did not realise this. Commercially it makes sense of course. I watched the swans match with my 7yo on free to air for the first time and honestly felt quite uncomfortable with the amount of ads and Nathan Brown pushing punting. I turned it off half way through. Now, totally each to their own, AND it’s an indictment on the AFL to normalise punting to go hand in hand with the game, irrespective of the ‘remedial’ work they do, be it via public education or advertisement to ‘know your limits’. That won’t work*for kids exposed for 18 years weekly that AFL and gambling neatly coexist and are a normal part of culture.
* nor do they give a damn…

At the end of the day it's legal - it might be morally wrong but legally it's fine. The VFL took money from tobacco companies while they could, I think the government needs to legislate around gambling ads during G/PG rated content or live sports broadcasts. But the government is as complicit as the AFL so not sure that will happen any time soon.

Edit - also I don't think the AFL or the gambling companies care about the exposure to kids - they're just grooming the next market they can siphon money from.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you'll find that it is not the direct revenue from the betting companies that the AFL and NRL wish to protect (as welcome as I am sure that it is). It's the revenue that the Free-to-Air broadcaster can make from betting advertising that allows the AFL and NRL to be paid massive TV rights money. If betting advertising stops the TV rights revenue will plummet.

I'm curious to know whether everyone who wants betting advertising curtailed or even abolished would continue to hold that view if it meant the quality of the product was diminished (because players would have to be paid less) or the price of entry to games was significantly increased to overcome the shortfall. Or both.

So, how about it Demonlanders. If you have previously said that betting advertising on TV should be banned, would you be prepared to pay more - probably much more - to go to the footy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think you'll find that it is not the direct revenue from the betting companies that the AFL and NRL wish to protect (as welcome as I am sure that it is). It's the revenue that the Free-to-Air broadcaster can make from betting advertising that allows the AFL and NRL to be paid massive TV rights money. If betting advertising stops the TV rights revenue will plummet.

I'm curious to know whether everyone who wants betting advertising curtailed or even abolished would continue to hold that view if it meant the quality of the product was diminished (because players would have to be paid less) or the price of entry to games was significantly increased to overcome the shortfall. Or both.

So, how about it Demonlanders. If you have previously said that betting advertising on TV should be banned, would you be prepared to pay more - probably much more - to go to the footy?

Would the AFL be willing to have reduced crowds at games? Because that is what would happen if they increased the admission prices, people would just walk away.

I'm sure the same argument was made about tobacco advertising in the 80s.

Fact is there is plenty of money in the sport, plenty of hangers on getting paid way too much for minimal output.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, yes I would. 👍

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I would too (though being interstate I don't go to the footy much, so the cost isn't an issue to me - on the other hand I pay for several games but go to none, so I'd be paying even more to see no games). 

But how bad would it be if the players were paid less?  Some highly gifted sporting-types may take up soccer or tiddleywinks to chase the money, but I'd still find footy more enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, adonski said:

BBB available for selection
Hibbo ruled out
Lever a test
Harmes playing VFL

According to Goodwins presser

With the wet heavy conditions predicted for the weekend cannot see Ben Brown flying over to Adelaide. Tmac and Jvr enough talls.  Tempting to swing Bowey up forward. He likes to kick at goal.

Lever test ? ouch.

Edited by Deebauched

2 hours ago, layzie said:

I’m not a Pro Gather Rounder, and at the risk of sounding like an ignoramus or a little kid (simplifying it) I don’t embrace Gather Round mainly because I can’t afford to travel to and stay in another state when the airlines and hotels have jacked up their prices for this very event. Why not stay home and watch it on TV? Because I don’t want to, that’s why. Again, I probs sound like a little kid, but I should be able to follow my team from state to state without having to rob a bank.

Because of the obscene airfare and accomm costs, this weekend some of us are going there and back same day in a car. So yeah, we won’t have to miss out on seeing our match live. But it’s FUTURE Gather Rounds that worry me. Can’t envision driving to Perth or Brisbane etc. should this become a regular annual event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

if it meant the quality of the product was diminished (because players would have to be paid less)

Also, I’m not sure that the quality of the competition or product would be diminished. 
Sure, it’d feel unfair that your wage went from $450,000 to $200,000 but that $200,000 would beat $110,000 in an office, $65,000 in a factory and $200,000 fly in fly out working a 60-80 hour week.

I think it would be a great thing to see the decline of capitalism in AFL for the betterment of society. I’m not talking pushing ‘causes’ because of the good optics - I’m talking about the direct impact that gambling has inter generationally.

What about your good self? Would you be prepared to pay more? 

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The AFL and CH 7 had no idea in December that Esssendon and St Kilda would be a combined 7-1 between them.

And not once has the AFL moved a game “in season” so that channel 7 can get the favourable game. (Fox has a fair bit of skin in the TV rights too)

Most people can get Kayo at a reasonable price if they can’t afford Foxtel so I don’t see this as a major issue.

Kayo is a complete joke. Not worth 50 cents 

Games can still be changed days out 

Nothing has taken place yet

They call it “Gather Round” but it’s not on Air