Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 05 vs Essendon

Demonland

31 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Gather round "free to air" (FTA) broadcast.

Looks like QLD, WA, NSW, get to watch their teams on FTA.

VIC get to watch; Adelaide v Carlton,  Richmond v Sydney, Port v Bulldogs, Giants v Hawthorn, on free to air.

Not Collingwood v Saints, or Melbourne v Essendon. 

if they are pushing all into one state, why don't they maximise the exposure of VIC teams on FTA?

They give the other States access on FTA on all their teams, even SA.

At least I get the replay on AFL live the next day.

Screenshot_20230411-181604_Chrome.jpg

Thanks, Kev!  I got really interested in deciphering the state differences for broadcasting and then remembered it means nothing to me since my sharehouse only has a digital TV (and so Kayo only) 😅

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I guess you’ll be sitting in the Port cheersquad end tho?

Looks that way. A coin toss… what a strange thing to have just been announced.

Not so sure now. Some in the DA are thinking we’ll still be at the Hill end (away cheer squad bay). But nothing is definite yet. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Thanks, Kev!  I got really interested in deciphering the state differences for broadcasting and then remembered it means nothing to me since my sharehouse only has a digital TV (and so Kayo only) 😅

For those of us in the Northern Rivers we rarely get Dees games on FTA so this is a nice change

• Like 5

So because it’s our home game we’re sitting in the home cheer squad’s bay… with the Port cheer squad.
Poor old Bulldogs cheer squad have to associate with the Essendon cheer squad. Thoughts and prayers, Doggies. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

In some ways I think it's to our advantage not to be on the MCG against Essendon.( esp as an "away" match.)

They're on a high, and there'd be a predominantly Essendon crowd at the MCG baying for frees and influencing the umps.

It'll still be pro-bomber over there, but we travel well.

100%

Plus we play Adelaide Oval very well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The US sports farm out development to Colleges and high schools, as well as expensive private clubs which in certain sports drastically hampers then playing pool. I'm not sure why we'd care what they're doing in that failure of a country anyway.

Yes, they technically cut down from 3 to 2 (2 to 1 official) practice games but most teams had full scale intraclubs and we've been training at full contact since November. Practice matches and trainings allow for underdone guys to be managed, there's no such allowance in games.

Several clubs - St Kilda, WC, Richmond, Ess - are already loaded with ten or more injuries. The Eagles side we played on Sunday was an absolute mess in round 4, good luck to them trying to get through 19 more weeks.

I was talking about the cut that US sports people get of the revenue, so really no need for the country drive by there. 

The Saints we’re decimated before the practice games, and WCE or a shambles, so you can hardly argue the week earlier start did that. These guys are athletes - you tell them the parameters and they will adjust, some better with the help of High Performance staff. 

Frankly, I don’t know what the optimum number of games are but the 90s has years of 20 games as we jumped to the 22 that is now apparently so sacrosanct. Geelong want to take 16 mins off the game so their geriatrics can compete.

I just don’t think it is such a disgrace. 

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks heavens Gil's still making money for the AFL.  If not for AFL support and the money they'd made through these evil "money making idea's" we'd be gone years ago and COVID would have decimated the competition.  Many more club staff would have been without a jobs, players wouldn't have been paid and would have looked for other professions, the public wouldn't have had footy as Dan put us into home detention for months on end and as a result many more of us would have suffered mental illness.

Footy survived because the AFL looked for "money-making ideas" and were financially robust enough to maintain the game in the most challenging of circumstances.  We will receive (reportedly) $500,000 to $800,000 for the Gather round.  Maybe some of the phyio's and other player support staff that lost their job during COVID will find their way back into the industry and if it isn't them then others who provide support for our players will take their place.  

What on earth is wrong with making money?  Without it the game dies.  The Gather round provides an extra meaningful game of footy rather than a meaningless practice game. It will provide Adelaide with a fantastic economic boost to business still struggling after COVID, it will make the AFL stronger which makes the whole competition stronger.

Make money Gil, that's what I say.  Who knows when the next pandemic is going to hit or some other circumstance beyond the AFL's control descends upon us.  The prospect of a financially struggling AFL and its impacts are too depressing to think about.

Excellent post and I'm reckoning the people of SA will get right behind the concept

And lots of tourists coming in as it's school holidays ... I really like the idea and the NRL equivalent (Magic Round) works very well (Brisbane every year with the QLD Government kicking in the $$$'s)

The big show comes to town - why not? It's not like any of the teams are giving up a home game.  It's an extra round of footy.  All good!

• Thinking 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:25 PM, layzie said:

I hope Gather Round fails personally. 

It's already a great success for the TV rites $

Edited by dworship
Spellin

6 hours ago, hemingway said:

Agree re your comments about Crows fans. Their as bad as you get. By comparison Port fans are lovely people. Crow fans seem to retain the arrogance of their glory years. 

Been to many games in Adelaide against Crows and Port. My experience is totally the other way around. Never ever had an issue with Crows supporters, at any of the half dozen games i've been to there. In fact, even congratulated after we won.

By comparison, my experience with Port supporters is horrible, as bad as it gets. Some years ago I was walking down Rundle Mall with my father to grab a bite to eat before the game. The Port Army or whatever they are called were walking in the other direction. I didn't say or do anything, but all of a sudden was shirt-fronted - yep, basically hit, from one of their supporters, who pretended he didn't do it when I confronted him about it after. At games as well, I've found Port supporters to be quite nasty. That's just my experience though.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

What does "Pelvis" mean in injury-speak?

in injury speak it means it will be very very painful during child birth. people with pelvic injuries are advised to avoid pregnancies until it heals

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Glorious Day said:

Been to many games in Adelaide against Crows and Port. My experience is totally the other way around. Never ever had an issue with Crows supporters, at any of the half dozen games i've been to there. In fact, even congratulated after we won.

By comparison, my experience with Port supporters is horrible, as bad as it gets. Some years ago I was walking down Rundle Mall with my father to grab a bite to eat before the game. The Port Army or whatever they are called were walking in the other direction. I didn't say or do anything, but all of a sudden was shirt-fronted - yep, basically hit, from one of their supporters, who pretended he didn't do it when I confronted him about it after. At games as well, I've found Port supporters to be quite nasty. That's just my experience though.

You said it, these opinions are based on our own personal experience. A bad experience with an individual or group can influence one’s view of the broader group. Where you sit at the MCG or other ground can be very different. Other supporters find the Demon faithful in the members and Northern Stand obnoxious. And last Sunday I was one of those. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, hemingway said:

You said it, these opinions are based on our own personal experience. A bad experience with an individual or group can influence one’s view of the broader group. Where you sit at the MCG or other ground can be very different. Other supporters find the Demon faithful in the members and Northern Stand obnoxious. And last Sunday I was one of those. 

Just being yourself Ernie ?

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, layzie said:

?

Interested to know why, brother. 

I’d have liked the opportunity to take my bombers supporting father in law to the footy this year. He’s getting on a bit now. Not flying to Adelaide and paying exorbitant hotel rates however.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 12:25 PM, layzie said:

It isn't going to fail layz

I'm tempted to go all in on it being a resounding success (ongoing) but I'll take the conservative view for now

However, one issue is that the Melb/Ess and Pies/Saints are not on free-to-air.  That's an error that can't happen again

3rd vs 4th & 1st vs 5th have to be beamed in to a mass audience

The double-header concept on Sat/Sun ensures that ticket sales will be healthy (both sellouts?)

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Macca said:

However, one issue is that the Melb/Ess and Pies/Saints are not on free-to-air.  That's an error that can't happen again

3rd vs 4th & 1st vs 5th have to be beamed in to a mass audience

Wow someone did a bit of an oopsie, wonder if they still have a job!

Edited by AzzKikA

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So the Top 4 Sides are not on Free to Air Broadcast this weekend?

What an absolute Shambles 

The AFL should just sack themselves for total incompetence 

Love The Demons, Hate The AFL

The AFL and CH 7 had no idea in December that Esssendon and St Kilda would be a combined 7-1 between them.

And not once has the AFL moved a game “in season” so that channel 7 can get the favourable game. (Fox has a fair bit of skin in the TV rights too)

Most people can get Kayo at a reasonable price if they can’t afford Foxtel so I don’t see this as a major issue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, McQueen said:

?

Interested to know why, brother. 

I don't really Mcqueen, I just chose this topic to become a total contrarian about. Everyone gets one 😛

While I do think it's a shiny object idea I do hope it's a success for the city of Adelaide and the people who attend.