Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coates Talent League 2023

Whispering_Jack

The Coates Talent League clubs have all announced their playing lists for 2023 and while the favourite for number one pick in this year’s AFL Draft is Tongala’s Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers) there are hundreds of hopefuls for selection in the drafts to come.

Here are some of the names of interest:

Bendigo Pioneers

• Harley Reid (Tongala)  - In his book “Between the Flags”, Ian Munro suggests that Melbourne was one of the clubs that was shafted when the VFL introduced country zoning in the 1970s. In those days Tongala was in the Goulburn Valley competition. We’re only 50 years late.

• Will Rohde (Echuca) - maybe a father/son if he happens to be the son of Peter?

Calder Cannons

• Jack Ryan (Strathmore) - hero of Tom Clancy novels?

Dandenong Stingrays

• Ziggy Toledo Glasman (Mt Eliza) - on Casey Demons 2023 list.

• Cooper Simpson (Mt Martha) - Academy player who trained at Melbourne and was impressive.

• Riak Andrew (Berwick) - Melbourne NGA prospect. Brother of Gold Coast’s Mac.

Gippsland Power

• Zane Duursma (Foster) - from a footballing family with Demon connections but no f/s.

GWV Rebels

• Nick Cadman (Darley) - brother of last year’s #1 pick?

Oakleigh Chargers 

• Kynan Brown (Blackburn) - genuine father/son draft prospect for 2023.

• Noah Yze (Glen Waverley Rovers) - genuine father/son draft prospect for 2024.

• Ben Hill (Collegians) - cue the music.

Sandringham Dragons 

• Samuel Fanning (Brighton Beach Kangaroos) - great grandson of Demon Fred Fanning who booted a VFL/AFL record of 18 goals in his last game.

Tasmania Devils

• Will Groom (North Hobart) - related to Demon Ray Groom who became Premier of Tasmania?

Western Jets

• Jai Lever (Point Cook) - another relative?

Missed out - Byron Pickett Junior (son of Byron & cousin of Kozzie) who was said to have come across from SA in the hope of getting into the Northern Knights squad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

A selection of team previews for teams taking part in the Coates Talent League Boys competition in 2023. 

Ranges “itching” to rip into season proper

Jets starting to jell ahead of season 2023

Standouts setting the standard for Gippsland

Fundamentals set to drive Knights north

Stingrays set high standards in search of next step

More to come if available.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:28 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

The Coates Talent League clubs have all announced their playing lists for 2023 and while the favourite for number one pick in this year’s AFL Draft is Tongala’s Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers) there are hundreds of hopefuls for selection in the drafts to come.

Here are some of the names of interest:

Bendigo Pioneers

• Harley Reid (Tongala)  - In his book “Between the Flags”, Ian Munro suggests that Melbourne was one of the clubs that was shafted when the VFL introduced country zoning in the 1970s. In those days Tongala was in the Goulburn Valley competition. We’re only 50 years late.

I can't recall exactly the zones growing up in Echuca in the late 80's early 90's but I remember a few Echuca lads having pictures in there Geelong uniforms on the wall.  Paul Brown as one but can't recall the others.

The only connection to the dees at this later stage was our coach, Simon Eishold.  Obviously he wasn't every Melbourne supporters cup of tea after his VFL career finished but my goodness he was a good footballer in the GVFL.

I played in Tongala's last year within the GVFL and played with a superstar undersized CHB Mark Reid.  Ironically nicknamed Rowdy as he rarely said boo, he was probably the best contested grab of the pill I had ever seen.  There is a photo of him in the club rooms standing on an opponents shoulders taking a one handed screamer.  Ridiculous stuff.

He would have only been 6ft and was always the man to lock down some very big lads running around in the GVFL in those days like Mark Porter & David Mensch yet agile to go with the elusive and also mercurial Saad Saad. 

Tongala had a handful of absolutely amazing footballers with a quite a few playing VFL/AFL but sadly the depth dropped away and they couldn't keep up and they went to the MFL I think in 2007(ish).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

I can't recall exactly the zones growing up in Echuca in the late 80's early 90's but I remember a few Echuca lads having pictures in there Geelong uniforms on the wall.  Paul Brown as one but can't recall the others.

The only connection to the dees at this later stage was our coach, Simon Eishold.  Obviously he wasn't every Melbourne supporters cup of tea after his VFL career finished but my goodness he was a good footballer in the GVFL.

I played in Tongala's last year within the GVFL and played with a superstar undersized CHB Mark Reid.  Ironically nicknamed Rowdy as he rarely said boo, he was probably the best contested grab of the pill I had ever seen.  There is a photo of him in the club rooms standing on an opponents shoulders taking a one handed screamer.  Ridiculous stuff.

He would have only been 6ft and was always the man to lock down some very big lads running around in the GVFL in those days like Mark Porter & David Mensch yet agile to go with the elusive and also mercurial Saad Saad. 

Tongala had a handful of absolutely amazing footballers with a quite a few playing VFL/AFL but sadly the depth dropped away and they couldn't keep up and they went to the MFL I think in 2007(ish).

Question is whether your teammate Mark Reid has a son called Harley?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Question is whether your teammate Mark Reid has a son called Harley?

I probably should have made that part of my trip down memory lane a little bit clearer that he did have a young lad with that name.  Thanks WJ 😅

And through the wonderful world of social media, here was dads grab

86F51114-2F3E-4A72-A72D-EB3E9010522E.jpeg

Edited by Deeko2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kyah Faris-White rucked for the Dandenong Stingrays in their 27 point victory over the Gippsland Power. He’s showing some signs and had 17 hit outs and 10 possessions for his efforts. Casey listed forward Ziggy Toledo-Glasman booted six goals. 

The two MFC father/sons at the Oakleigh Chargers had quiet days against the Sandringham Dragons as their team got a hammering. Kynan Brown picked up only 13 touches while Noah Yze kicked 2.1 from only 5 possessions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, KC from Casey said:

Kyah Faris-White rucked for the Dandenong Stingrays in their 27 point victory over the Gippsland Power. He’s showing some signs and had 17 hit outs and 10 possessions for his efforts. Casey listed forward Ziggy Toledo-Glasman booted six goals. 

The two MFC father/sons at the Oakleigh Chargers had quiet days against the Sandringham Dragons as their team got a hammering. Kynan Brown picked up only 13 touches while Noah Yze kicked 2.1 from only 5 possessions.

Thanks KC. LOVE  your work and posts!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelly said:

Wondering how Zane Duursma went for the Gippy Power yesterday. I watched his brother Xavier for the other Power and I like the cut of his jib.

There’s already an article about Zane Duursma on this thread. He was impressive as a work experience AFL Academy player when training with Melbourne in the preseason (along with Dandenong Stingrays Cooper Simpson). 

He’s taller than Xavier but has the talent and is touted as a top 10 pick so we could well be in the race for him come draft time. Here’s a recent article ~

Kicking and reaching goals no issue for potential No.1 pick

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Chelly said:

Wondering how Zane Duursma went for the Gippy Power yesterday. I watched his brother Xavier for the other Power and I like the cut of his jib.

One goal, 16 touches 6 in 50s, 4 tackles, there is a good coates app with all the stats.

Noah yze kicked  2, Kynan brown was a bit quiet by the stats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

COATES LEAGUE TOP 50 RANKINGS AFTER ROUND 3

*Ranking, Player, Club, Position, 2023 Games, 2023 Ave. KFC SuperCoach Points*

1. Tom Beaumont (Tasmania Devils), MID, 2 games, 173 points
2. Indhi Kirk (Sydney Swans), MID-FWD, 2 games, 166 points
3. Sam Marshall (Brisbane Lions), DEF, 2 games, 155 points
4. Ryley Sanders (Sandringham Dragons), MID, 3 games, 152 points
5. Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers), MID, 3 games, 152 points
6. Harvey Thomas (GWS Academy), MID, 2 games, 151 points
7. George Stevens (GWV Rebels), DEF, 3 games, 144 points
8. Nicholas Watson (Eastern Ranges), FWD, 3 games, 143 points
9. Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges), MID, 2 games, 141 points
10. Cooper Simpson (Dandenong Stingrays), MID, 2 game, 131 points
11. Tom Anastasopoulous (Geelong Falcons), FWD, 3 games, 130 points
12. Angus Hastie (Geelong Falcons), DEF, 3 games, 130 points
13. Archer Reid (Gippsland Power), FWD, 1 game, 129 points
14. Archer Day-Wicks (Bendigo Pioneers), FWD, 1 game, 129 points
15. Jake Rogers (Gold Coast), MID, 2 games, 128 points
16. Malachi White (Geelong Falcons), MID, 2 games, 127 points
17. Diesel Moloney (Western Jets), DEF, 3 games, 125 points
18. Jagga Smith (Oakleigh Chargers), MID, 3 games, 123 points
19. Darcy Wilson (Murray Bushrangers), FWD, 3 games, 123 points
20. Colby McKercher (Tasmania Devils), MID, 2 games, 122 points
21. Ryan Maric (Gippsland Power), FWD, 2 games, 122 points
22. Tom Evans (Bendigo Pioneers), MID, 3 games, 120 points
23. Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons), MID-FWD, 3 games, 120 points
24. Jared Eckersley (Gold Coast), MID, 2 games, 120 points
25. Caiden Cleary (Sydney), MID, 2 games, 119 points
26. Will Lorenz (Oakleigh Chargers), FWD, 2 games, 116 points
27. Oscar Ryan (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 3 games, 116 points
28. Tye Gander (Sydney), FWD, 2 games, 115 points
29. Sebastian Amoroso (Gippsland Power), FWD, 2 games, 115 points
30. Connor O’Sullivan (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 3 games, 114 points
31. Ethan Read (Gold Coast), RUCK, 2 games, 113 points
32. Cam Nyko (Eastern Ranges), MID, 3 games, 113 points
33. Alex Molan (GWV Rebels), MID, 3 games, 113 points
34. William Brown (Sandringham Dragons), FWD, 3 games, 113 points
35. Jackson Savage (GWS Academy), DEF, 3 games, 111 points
36. Will Graham (Gold Coast), MID, 2 games, 111 points
37. Mahmoud Taha (Calder Cannons), MID-FWD, 3 games, 111 points
38. Tyson Sruk (Eastern Ranges), DEF, 3 games, 111 points
39. Kobe Shipp (Dandenong Stingrays), DEF, 2 games, 110 points
40. Joel Freijah (GWV Rebels), MID, 3 games, 109 points
41. Malik Gordon (Bendigo Pioneers), FWD, 1 game, 109 points
42. Luke Teal (Oakleigh Chargers), DEF, 3 games, 108 points
43. Max Stobie (Gippsland Power), DEF, 2 games, 108 points
44. Cody Anderson (Eastern Ranges), MID, 3 games, 107 points 
45. Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays), FWD, 3 games, 107 points
46. Zeke Uwland (Gold Coast), DEF, 2 games, 107 points
47. Hugo Garcia (Calder Cannons), MID-FWD, 3 games, 106 points
48. Jake Smith (Western Jets), MID, 3 games, 106 points
49. Coby James (Murray Bushrangers), DEF, 3 games, 106 points
50. Joshua Cooper (Brisbane Lions Academy), DEF, 2 games, 106 points

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, KC from Casey said:

Article in one of the local papers primarily dealing with mid-season draft prospect Ziggy Toledo-Glasman.

Dandenong two from two in local rivalry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Surely Ziggy Toledo-Glasman will be the best name in the draft.

I wonder whether he's part Sephardi (Toledo) and part Ashkenazi (Ziggy and Glasman). (This comment will make total sense to some and will be meaningless to others.)

If it wasn’t apparent before, it certainly will be now. I am definitely one of the “others”.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Surely Ziggy Toledo-Glasman will be the best name in the draft.

I wonder whether he's part Sephardi (Toledo) and part Ashkenazi (Ziggy and Glasman). (This comment will make total sense to some and will be meaningless to others.)

No … just half Ashkenazi. I believe the Toledo part was just made up. Probably more Ohio than Spain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

If it wasn’t apparent before, it certainly will be now. I am definitely one of the “others”.

Ashkenazi jews are historically from Yiddish speaking areas (ie, Eastern Europe) while Sephardi jews have their heritage in Spain and the Iberian peninsula. Ziggy and Glasman are clearly Germanic-European names and consistent with an Ashkenazi background. Toledo is in Spain, hence the Sephardi comment. 

However, as WJ has explained, there appears to be no Sephardi linkage for Glasman Just half-Ashkenazi, like Todd Goldstein. 

• Thanks 2

Speaking of Ziggy, he was in the goals again at the weekend with three goals in the Stingrays’ 34 point win over the GWV Rebels. 

MFC’s NGA ruckman Kyah Farris-White topped the hitouts in that game with 17 and had 9 touches. He’s learning.

In father/son action, Kynan Brown had 18 touches and kicked a goal for the Oakleigh Chargers against the Sydney Swans while Noah Yze also kicked a goal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I am curious about Kyah Farris-White's eligibility to play in the Coates League as I thought he might be too old. I did a search "kyah farris-white age" and discovered that Google says he's apparently 123yr 3 mths old. Surely that's too old for the Coates League. 

KFW is 19 which is top age for the Coates League. Each of the Coates League clubs are permitted to include some top age players to promote their prospects of being drafted. It’s mainly for the benefit of late developers or players who were injured in their draft (18 years) season. AFL clubs can apply for their listed players to play for clubs which is what happened to allow KFW to represent the Dandenong Stingrays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

The Dandenong Stingrays defeated Oakleigh Chargers by 4 points in a great come from behind performance at Kinetic Stadium, Frankston last night. 

Oakleigh’s potential MFC father/son Kynan Brown impressed with 31 disposals (11 kicks, 20 handballs), 4 marks, 11 tackles and 5 inside 50s. 

Noah Yze wasn’t selected.

Dandenong’s MFC listed ruckman Kyah Farris-White had a game high 21 hit outs but only had 5 disposals. 

Riak Andrew’s first game stats were a moderate eight touches. Casey listed player Ziggy Toledo-Glasman kicked 2 goals. 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 6:20 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

The Dandenong Stingrays defeated Oakleigh Chargers by 4 points in a great come from behind performance at Kinetic Stadium, Frankston last night. 

Oakleigh’s potential MFC father/son Kynan Brown impressed with 31 disposals (11 kicks, 20 handballs), 4 marks, 11 tackles and 5 inside 50s. 

Noah Yze wasn’t selected.

Dandenong’s MFC listed ruckman Kyah Farris-White had a game high 21 hit outs but only had 5 disposals. 

Riak Andrew’s first game stats were a moderate eight touches. Casey listed player Ziggy Toledo-Glasman kicked 2 goals. 

Noah played for Caulfield Grammar and kicked a goal. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I am curious about Kyah Farris-White's eligibility to play in the Coates League as I thought he might be too old. I did a search "kyah farris-white age" and discovered that Google says he's apparently 123yr 3 mths old. Surely that's too old for the Coates League. 

hmmm ... 3v years older than moses

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Is he a flight risk to the Cats? 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1