Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Best Value Way to Watch the Footy...?


Grr-owl
 Share


Recommended Posts

Yeah, its a topic that has been covered before, but I thought I'd begin anew in case there's been innovation in the field, so here goes:

What is the cheapest/best value way to get footy on the TV or streaming app? Free to air sux, obviously, and Kayo is comprehensive but expensive and Foxtel is even more so. Any other alternatives?

In explanation, now that I'm back in Aus permanently, membership/attendance is competing with TV coverage for a limited supply of $AUD, so... I turn to Demonland for help and support. I mean, where else? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

kayo is probably cheapest. you only need to pay for footy season...say 6 months. additionally if you want to squeeze it down, get a basic subscription which supports 2 devices concurrently and split costs with a mate/family member.

only thing cheaper is probably the pirate sites and fight off the virus attempts.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, daisycutter said:

kayo is probably cheapest. you only need to pay for footy season...say 6 months. additionally if you want to squeeze it down, get a basic subscription which supports 2 devices concurrently and split costs with a mate/family member.

only thing cheaper is probably the pirate sites and fight off the virus attempts.

Cheers, DC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, DubDee said:

Go to home games and go to pub for away games

just costs a H&A membership.

Damm good idea.... cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

And expect to drop $150 on food, beer and transport every time you attend live/visit a pub

not me, i walk to the pub and don't waste money on food.  so the $150 is all on booze!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Demonland said:

Just as much at the footy too for a pie, chips and a coke, oops I mean pepsi now.

Four 'n' Twenty 18 pack going for $23.99 at Costco. Might sneak a couple in under my beanie...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, daisycutter said:

get a basic subscription which supports 2 devices concurrently and split costs with a mate/family member.

Note, Netflix is reportedly starting a crackdown on subscription sharing and I wouldn't mind betting Kayo do at some point too.  Just hope it's not soon as sharing a subscription with my sister is a pretty good deal for me at the moment!

Overall, it might not be the cheapest, but I'm pretty happy to contribute my MFC home and away membership and attend at the ground as my preferred means of watching.  Totally understand that everyone's finacial situation might be different though and you've got to rationalize what where you spend your money in life.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Note, Netflix is reportedly starting a crackdown on subscription sharing and I wouldn't mind betting Kayo do at some point too.  Just hope it's not soon as sharing a subscription with my sister is a pretty good deal for me at the moment!

Overall, it might not be the cheapest, but I'm pretty happy to contribute my MFC home and away membership and attend at the ground as my preferred means of watching.  Totally understand that everyone's finacial situation might be different though and you've got to rationalize what where you spend your money in life.

Kayo are owned by Foxtel, they don't need to worry about that stuff. Already make a squillion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kayo just increased its monthly price

$25 = One screen

$30= Two screens

$35 = Three screens

The Telstra subscribers discount is finished.

Some AFL clubs are allowing members a $220 per year ($19 per month) subscription. (Bulldogs). Not sure if MFC offers a similar deal. Of course if you were intending to cancel over summer this deal is more expensive than a month to month subscription

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a Kayo membership on the site, says Coming Soon for $263 for 12 months. Fair discount. Wonder if it will ever actually appear..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Kayo just increased its monthly price

$25 = One screen

$30= Two screens

$35 = Three screens

The Telstra subscribers discount is finished.

Some AFL clubs are allowing members a $220 per year ($19 per month) subscription. (Bulldogs). Not sure if MFC offers a similar deal. Of course if you were intending to cancel over summer this deal is more expensive than a month to month subscription

Yes we do have that option, just look for it on the membership website 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd pay for a Melbourne only membership if it existed. I like watching other games but if it meant saving money it's a no brainer. 

Yeah, just like NBA pass. I used to pay only for the OKC games. 8 different broadcast options...just perfection 👌🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, Grr-owl said:

Yeah, its a topic that has been covered before, but I thought I'd begin anew in case there's been innovation in the field, so here goes:

What is the cheapest/best value way to get footy on the TV or streaming app? Free to air sux, obviously, and Kayo is comprehensive but expensive and Foxtel is even more so. Any other alternatives?

In explanation, now that I'm back in Aus permanently, membership/attendance is competing with TV coverage for a limited supply of $AUD, so... I turn to Demonland for help and support. I mean, where else? 

I've got a fire stick. Pay 400 a year. Have live TV from heaps of European countries. There's about 400 sports channels, epl, afl, NBA, any sport you can think of plus ppv events for nothing. Also has a movie library with movies still out at village and hoyts. Netflix, Amazon, stan library as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Grr-owl said:

There's a Kayo membership on the site, says Coming Soon for $263 for 12 months. Fair discount. Wonder if it will ever actually appear..... 

I just got the email from the club offering this deal. They also throw in an armchair membership. Great value at $22 per month but a little more expensive than other clubs ($19?).

The info is listed under the membership categories under KAO Digital Membership:

https://membership.melbournefc.com.au/packages

The club should hopefully advertise this on the main page so non-members will can find it.

Edited by Roger Mellie
Further info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Wednesday 1st February 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT REHAB  Clarry, Max, Farris-White, Melky, Matt Jefferson, Jakey Lever, Joel Smith & 1 Other I couldn't place. Glad to see the Club being ultra cautious with Clarry's thumb BUT the fact he is still troubled with it is worrying (God I hate Selwood) Got there at 10.50 to see Full match Simulation Game between the Blues and the Whites. Quite clearly the Blues were the A Team and the Whites were the possibles. Some interesting faces in the white Team h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...