• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Under 23s Rated

Demonland

MELBOURNE

HEADLINE MAKER 

Can the Demons keep Kozzie Pickett? It’s going to be one of the biggest storylines of the coming season. Back to back hauls of 40-plus goals in his second and third seasons highlight his offensive weapons, but his defence and tackling pressure are just as effective. Port Adelaide will come knocking again – if they haven’t already done so – but the Demons are hopeful he sees the prospect of a second premiership medal looming in the future.

X-FACTOR

It’s hard to believe Jacob van Rooyen didn’t debut last season as Melbourne’s forward line woes remained unresolved. That won’t happen in 2023. He has been earmarked for advancement off the back of Luke Jackson’s departure. The Demons have locked van Rooyen in until 2025, an indication of their keenness. Track watchers have been impressed with the way in which he has attacked the first block of the pre-season.

QUESTION MARK

Could premiership defender Trent Rivers be tempted to return home to Perth like his great mate Luke Jackson was? He has a year to run on his current deal. Rivers played 18 games last season, but was dropped for a period. At his best, he is a walk-up start, as evidenced by his impact in 2021.

UNTAPPED TALENT

We’re going to take a punt on Blake Howes. He was the Demons’ pick 39 in the 2021 national draft and while he didn’t get the chance to play a senior game due a stress fracture, he showed some good talent at Casey. The forward looks to have good potential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

yep, worried rivers will leave too.. oh well, can't keep em all. i do like him though. just as long as we keep kozzy.

• Like 2

I’ve always had a lot of time for Rivers from the day he started.  He has a lot of upside. Looking forward (wanting ) him to stay on for the long run. 
As an aside, it really adds a level of stress each and every year when the speculation starts about who may leave / be poached.

Without being an avid follower, it appears Geelong seem to hang on to their talent better than most.  Guess it has a lot to do with their culture.  
I am hoping that the values and ethics that Goodwin and the MFC are on about will rub off onto the players.  Time will tell. 🤞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I’ve always had a lot of time for Rivers from the day he started.  He has a lot of upside. Looking forward (wanting ) him to stay on for the long run. 
As an aside, it really adds a level of stress each and every year when the speculation starts about who may leave / be poached.

Without being an avid follower, it appears Geelong seem to hang on to their talent better than most.  Guess it has a lot to do with their culture.  
I am hoping that the values and ethics that Goodwin and the MFC are on about will rub off onto the players.  Time will tell. 🤞

Geelong get a tick on culture but it is their location that gives them an advantage in player retention.

Come live by the beach or in the country and real estate way cheaper than Melbourne! They also have a strong footballing region that players are happy to come back home to live.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, D4Life said:

Geelong get a tick on culture but it is their location that gives them an advantage in player retention.

Come live by the beach or in the country and real estate way cheaper than Melbourne! They also have a strong footballing region that players are happy to come back home to live.

Ah Geelong.......Victoria's Adelaide 🤠

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I assume with five interchange (or, rather, 4 interchange plus a "tactical sub") we should expect the annual 22 players under the age of 22 will become the 23 players under the age of 23.

It seemed that Oliver was in the "22 under 22" list every year for about 8 years!

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

They have the same issues as everyone else, Tim Kelly and Clarke two WA boys who they lost

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Some of the same issues!

Yes, they have the lifestyle draw card specifically for Vic country boys. However I was more referring to the comment of them holding onto their players 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Yes, they have the lifestyle draw card specifically for Vic country boys. However I was more referring to the comment of them holding onto their players 

Fair enough.

Have you heard anything on the grapevine about if Rivers is happy to stay in Victoria.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, D4Life said:

I really don’t understand how the idyllic lifestyle of Cranbourne/ Casey doesn’t entice more players to come and stay (obviously joking and I can - I live down that way!)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

They have the same issues as everyone else, Tim Kelly and Clarke two WA boys who they lost

and not forgetting a young fella called ablett lured to the gc beaches (albeit with a small $ incentive)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

Fair enough.

Have you heard anything on the grapevine about if Rivers is happy to stay in Victoria.

Haven’t heard anything Red, but I have only just returned from a month overseas. I could be mistaken but last I heard Rivers had a partner in Melbourne