Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Best 22 for Round 1

WERRIDEE

On 1/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, drdrake said:

If Schache starts round 1 we are in serious injury trouble for the start of the season.  Same with Melksham.

Right now.. SCHACHE is the shocker (in the mix for R1 = 💯)

I'm gonna do a R1 & what I think (should be do the miraculous) our Flag team would look like in GF for us to have best shot..

ROUND 1 VS BULLDOGS 

FB: Rivers  May  Bowey

HB: Salem  Petty  Lever 

C: Hunter  Petracca  Langdon

HF: Pickett  McDonald  Spargo

FF: Grundy  Van Rooyen  Fritsch

FOLL: Gawn   Oliver   Viney 

Interchange: Schache  Neal-Bullen  Sparrow  Melksham

Strategic Sub: Jordon

———————————————————————————

2022 GF LINEUP VS LIONS/TIGERS/BLUES

FB: Howes  May  Lever

HB: Salem  Petty  Rivers 

HF: Seston  McDonald  Jordon

FF: Gawn  Van Rooyen  Fritsch 

FOLL: Grundy   Oliver   Pickett 

Interchange: Viney  Chandler  Sparrow  Spargo

Strategic Sub: Schache

IN: Howes, Seston, Chandler 

OUT: Melksham, Bowey, Neal-Bullen

• Like 1

I think a few a discounting B Brown, terrible year last year but was asked to play a role that he struggled with.  Bring in another tall to do the work further up the ground and get him back closer to goal and he is still capable of kicking 40 plus goals for a season

• Like 5

6 hours ago, drdrake said:

I think a few a discounting B Brown, terrible year last year but was asked to play a role that he struggled with.  Bring in another tall to do the work further up the ground and get him back closer to goal and he is still capable of kicking 40 plus goals for a season

Agree. It's possible we go with just one tall forward, Gawn and Grundy and Fritsch with 4 smalls. If we do that then the one tall will be TMac or Brown, unlikely to be the inexperienced JVR with Gawn/Grundy.

I think we need 2 tall forwards - so 50 games combined from TMac, Brown and JVR, and it's unlikely we'll get 25 from any one of them. I think they each get to play a fair amount of AFL games.

Edited by old55
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, old55 said:

Agree. It's possible we go with just one tall forward, Gawn and Grundy and Fritsch with 4 smalls. If we do that then the one tall will be TMac or Brown, unlikely to be the inexperienced JVR with Gawn/Grundy.

I think we need 2 tall forwards - so 50 games combined from TMac, Brown and JVR, and it's unlikely we'll get 25 from any one of them. I think they each get to play a fair amount of AFL games.

With the new Sub rule, I think we might start tall, 2 key forwards plus resting ruck, then Fritsch, Kosi, high small forward mid role.

Have a small mid size as your sub

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nudge said:

I'm gonna do a R1 & what I think (should be do the miraculous) our Flag team would look like in GF for us to have best shot..

ROUND 1 VS BULLDOGS 

FB: Rivers  May  Bowey

HB: Salem  Petty  Lever 

Interchange: Schache  Neal-Bullen  Sparrow  Melksham

HF: Seston  McDonald  Jordon

FOLL: Grundy   Oliver   Pickett 

Interchange: Viney  Chandler  Sparrow  Spargo

IN: Howes, Seston, Chandler 

OUT: Melksham, Bowey, Neal-Bullen

No Brayshaw? Must be a great side if Gus cannot make it!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Awfully hard to only pick 23 at this point in time. I’m hoping the AFL change the rules in the next month to increase player numbers from 23 to 30! That would make me happy.

Until then my humble 23 is as follows:

B. Rivers  May  Lever

HB. Brayshaw  Petty  Salem

C. Langdon. Petracca  Hunter

HF. Sparrow  TMac  Jordon

F. Pickett  JVR  Fritsch

R. Gawn  Oliver. Viney

INT. Grundy. Bowey. Hibbert. Schache. Chandler

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, drdrake said:

I agree — love the fact we’ve got some tough calls for R1 & if Ben returns to full fitness and 2021 form he will no doubt play 15+ games 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nudge said:

ROUND 1 VS BULLDOGS 

FB: Lever  May  Bowey

HB: Salem  Petty  Brayshaw 

Interchange: Schache  Neal-Bullen  Sparrow  Rivers 

HF: Seston  McDonald  Pickett

FOLL: Grundy   Oliver   Brayshaw 

Interchange: Viney  Mcvee  Sparrow  Spargo

IN: Howes, Seston, Mcvee

OUT: Melksham, Bowey, Neal-Bullen, Jordon

Brayshaw re-included 🤷🏻‍♂️   

Edited by Nudge
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

Agree….and he is training  like he really wants it….6 more games to qualify as father/ son with the Dees…..he will really succeed this year IMO.

On form he's probably ahead of Spargo.

• Like 1

If Schache plays we are in trouble. Don't let his training form fool you, he's only there to cover Gawn and Grundy if they go down.

I wonder if they will do a chunk with Melksham and get him through the first 6 games to get him to 100 Melbourne games then pick him on form?

Going on training reports my line up is

B: Lever, May, Hibberd

HB: Salem, Petty, Brayshaw

C: Langdon, Petracca, Hunter

HF: Pickett, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, McDonald, Gawn

FOLL: Grundy, Oliver, Viney

IC: Bowey, Harmes, Sparrow, Melksham

SUB: Chandler

Reserves

B: D.Smith, D.Turner, J.Smith

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, McVee

C: Howes, Dunstan, Woewodin

HF: Chandler, Schache, Spargo

F: Sestan, Brown, Jefferson

FOLL: Verrall, Jordon, Munro

IC: Laurie, White, K.Turner, Burgoyne

EMERG: Moniz-Wakefield, Farris-White, Adams

• Like 3

I always find it hard to select a team for Round 1 from just training reports in January. I will not let this deter me from expressing an opinion. This January there looks to be a healthy list and more than a few players that look likely.

I really like the way that players are being developed and I do recall talk of making sure there is flexibility in the positions players are capable of playing. The coaching staff look to have followed through on that.

BACKS:

The key players look to select themselves to a degree. May, Lever and Petty to my mind are certainties for R1 if fit. As a unit they are, if not the best three-man defensive unit in the league, so damn close to It, it does not matter. Salem is another that I would think is an automatic selection if fit and firing. After that it is horses for courses and who is in form. Bowey, Hibberd and Rivers all could be selected for R1. There is plenty of quality depth and coverage for defence in the key positions as well as the small/medium defenders. Tomlinson sounds like he is super fit and keen and will cover the keys while we know Brayshaw can slot in to the back six if required.

MIDS:

If we look strong and well covered in the backs I think we are in an even better position in the midfield with the established players, the younger experienced players and the newer players coming through. Let’s see….. at the center bounce we have Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw that have all been outstanding there and all looking strong at training. Add Sparrow, Harmes and possibly Pickett getting a run in the center or at bounces around the ground and we have good matchday cover and flexibility. Langdon on one wing is a certainty and it looks like Hunter to get first crack at the other. Jordon, Brayshaw (again) and ANB as backup on the wings. If required, I believe ANB could back up a wing and use his running and endurance as a weapon.

RUCKS:

Gawn as starting ruck: no question about it. BUT, What is the plan and does it work? A couple of questions that will only be answered when we are eating the pudding. Given Grundy’s experience and quality I think they will pull the trigger on playing them both in R1. There are so many ways to play the two of them with them either resting forward or back or a bit of bench time with a forward taking throwins in the Forward 50 and one or two of the rucks a kick behind. A lot of options that will have the opposition guessing.

FORWARDS:

Not an understatement to say there were a few problems in this area last season and it is hard to see any locks for the forward 50 besides Fritsch. Pickett is the other one I would lock in if he is to play forward predominately. The rest? Brown, TMac, JVR, Schache, Resting ruck? Key forward selection will depend on training perceived form and match practice. The smaller forwards are just as hard to predict. ANB and Spargo do not seem to kick enough goals but do have other abilities that standout. Anb’s running ability and endurance allows him to track from contest to contest so easily. Where Spargo is a good user of the ball and compliments that with good vision. Both have good cases for inclusion. Chandler looks to have stepped up a bit this pre-season and could make a case for a run in the forwards at the feet of the key forwards. Melksham to step up there as required?

LOCKS:

Backs: May, Lever, Petty, Salem

Mids: Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon

Ruck: Gawn

Forwards: Fritsch, Pickett (?)

NEXT PICKED:

Backs: Two of Bowey, Rivers and Hibberd

Mids: Sparrow,Pickett(?) Harmes, Hunter, Jordon and Dunstan

Ruck: Grundy – dependent upon game plan

Forwards: two of Brown, TMac and JVR. Two of Spargo, ANB, Melksham and Chandler.

R1 OUTSIDER PICKS:

Backs: Tomlinson, Turner, J Smith, D Smith

Mids: Woewodin, Howes(wing)

Forward: Schache, Laurie.

January Guess for R1

Backs: Lever, May, Rivers

HB: Salem, Petty, Bowey

Mid: Langdon, Petracca, Hunter

HF: Pickett, JVR, Harmes

F: Fritsch, TMac, Spargo

FOL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Inter: Brayshaw, Harmes, Jordon, ANB, Grundy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, CHF said:

I always find it hard to select a team for Round 1 from just training reports in January. I will not let this deter me from expressing an opinion. This January there looks to be a healthy list and more than a few players that look likely.

I really like the way that players are being developed and I do recall talk of making sure there is flexibility in the positions players are capable of playing. The coaching staff look to have followed through on that.

BACKS:

The key players look to select themselves to a degree. May, Lever and Petty to my mind are certainties for R1 if fit. As a unit they are, if not the best three-man defensive unit in the league, so damn close to It, it does not matter. Salem is another that I would think is an automatic selection if fit and firing. After that it is horses for courses and who is in form. Bowey, Hibberd and Rivers all could be selected for R1. There is plenty of quality depth and coverage for defence in the key positions as well as the small/medium defenders. Tomlinson sounds like he is super fit and keen and will cover the keys while we know Brayshaw can slot in to the back six if required.

MIDS:

If we look strong and well covered in the backs I think we are in an even better position in the midfield with the established players, the younger experienced players and the newer players coming through. Let’s see….. at the center bounce we have Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw that have all been outstanding there and all looking strong at training. Add Sparrow, Harmes and possibly Pickett getting a run in the center or at bounces around the ground and we have good matchday cover and flexibility. Langdon on one wing is a certainty and it looks like Hunter to get first crack at the other. Jordon, Brayshaw (again) and ANB as backup on the wings. If required, I believe ANB could back up a wing and use his running and endurance as a weapon.

RUCKS:

Gawn as starting ruck: no question about it. BUT, What is the plan and does it work? A couple of questions that will only be answered when we are eating the pudding. Given Grundy’s experience and quality I think they will pull the trigger on playing them both in R1. There are so many ways to play the two of them with them either resting forward or back or a bit of bench time with a forward taking throwins in the Forward 50 and one or two of the rucks a kick behind. A lot of options that will have the opposition guessing.

FORWARDS:

Not an understatement to say there were a few problems in this area last season and it is hard to see any locks for the forward 50 besides Fritsch. Pickett is the other one I would lock in if he is to play forward predominately. The rest? Brown, TMac, JVR, Schache, Resting ruck? Key forward selection will depend on training perceived form and match practice. The smaller forwards are just as hard to predict. ANB and Spargo do not seem to kick enough goals but do have other abilities that standout. Anb’s running ability and endurance allows him to track from contest to contest so easily. Where Spargo is a good user of the ball and compliments that with good vision. Both have good cases for inclusion. Chandler looks to have stepped up a bit this pre-season and could make a case for a run in the forwards at the feet of the key forwards. Melksham to step up there as required?

LOCKS:

Backs: May, Lever, Petty, Salem

Mids: Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon

Ruck: Gawn

Forwards: Fritsch, Pickett (?)

NEXT PICKED:

Backs: Two of Bowey, Rivers and Hibberd

Mids: Sparrow,Pickett(?) Harmes, Hunter, Jordon and Dunstan

Ruck: Grundy – dependent upon game plan

Forwards: two of Brown, TMac and JVR. Two of Spargo, ANB, Melksham and Chandler.

R1 OUTSIDER PICKS:

Backs: Tomlinson, Turner, J Smith, D Smith

Mids: Woewodin, Howes(wing)

Forward: Schache, Laurie.

January Guess for R1

Backs: Lever, May, Rivers

HB: Salem, Petty, Bowey

Mid: Langdon, Petracca, Hunter

HF: Pickett, JVR, Harmes

F: Fritsch, TMac, Spargo

FOL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Inter: Brayshaw, Harmes, Jordon, ANB, Grundy

You've named Harmes twice.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:11 PM, Slartibartfast said:

It's hard to judge Sparrow because he plays high half forward in rotation with Kossie, ANB and Spargo and a bit of time on the ball.  It's not like he's a full time mid and so his figures are hard to judge.  He's also in the midfield with some pretty handy players and is most likely sacrificing his game (ball getting) for them.

This, I went on a bit about this during last season when a few on here were saying Sparrow didn't do enough. At times he had as little as 35mins on the ground for the whole game and his numbers reflected that. The other player who was in the same boat was Harmes. It will be interesting to see if the same occurs this season. A better indication of player performance might be Supercoach points per minute of game time.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2023 at 6:36 PM, Bombay Airconditioning said:

The off season additions of Grundy and Hunter undoubtedly make us a better side, we are stronger than when we won the flag in 2021. Most on here agree with how the majority of the side will line up, the fwd line is where the majority of us disagree. If you had Fritsch and Pickett as the only locks, you could have any other other combination of fwds (not counting Petracca or Gawn/Grundy resting fwd) and easily account for 12-13 other sides due to our strength in all all other areas across the ground. Inside 50’s have never been an issue for us, being predictable and our delivery hurt us last year. In addition we have too many fwds that don’t impact the scoreboard. People are quick to point out act pressure acts, two way running but we need our fwds also hitting the scoreboard.

Im not sold on Jordan personally, Spargo out for Chandler and BB out for JVR. Hibberd late start?

Rivers May Lever

Salem Petty Bowey

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Chandler TMac ANB

Fritsch  JVR Pickett

Grundy Petracca Oliver

Gawn Brayshaw Sparrow Harmes Melksham

Having only had a cursory look at the rest of this thread, has anyone mentioned Oliver being named in your side twice (I wish)?

• Haha 1

My thoughts are that for us to continue to improve we need Rivers, Bowey, Sparrow and Jordon, to take the next step in their evolution as AFL players and Chandler, JVR, Turner, Howes, Laurie and Woewodin to step up to AFL level. This along with the excellent recruitment of Grundy, Hunter and Schache will provide the necessary refresh to the team to keep us in the hunt for No.14.!!!

• Like 4

On 1/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, Colm said:

Yeah I agree with you AF locking down the best small forwards might be our Achilles heel this year. Hibberd did a lot better last year than I thought he would given his injury troubles early in the season. 
Cameron did get the better of him in the finals but overall he was superb. 
But he’s a year older now and has dodgy calves. 
Hunt sometimes played the role but he’s gone. Really we still haven’t replaced Jetta. 
We will need someone to step up this year to fill this role. 

Replaced Jetta??? I thought Bowey did that in 2021

• Like 1

Can't really select a team but would like to see less of ANB and Harmes. While I think they can both do some good things, I reckon most of my frustration comes from either of those 2, but who would you replace them with!?

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the  Zerohanger website 

Melbourne

FB: Trent Rivers, Steven May, Harrison Petty

HB: Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever, Christian Salem

C: Ed Langdon, Jack Viney, Lachie Hunter

HF: Kysaiah Pickett, Tom McDonald, Charlie Spargo

FF: Brodie Grundy, Jacob Van Rooyen, Bayley Fritsch

FOL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca

I/C: Tom Sparrow, James Harmes, Alex Neal-Bullen, James Jordon

SUB: Jake Bowey

Pretty good team and looks a consistent theme.  Probably only Bowey for Jordon potentially.  

JVR should debut. 

Salem availability might be a query. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Melbourne

Pretty good team and looks a consistent theme.  Probably only Bowey for Jordon potentially.  

JVR should debut. 

I'd say Bowey will start in Salem's place.

I've got a feeling Melksham will be the sub a lot of this year given his versatility.

Plus it's an easy way to get him to 100 games for future father son options!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Melbourne

JVR should debut. 

Very good side. Brown and Hibberd stiff but they don’t all fit.

• Like 1

We’ll likely get a better idea after the first practice match but here’s how I think we’re looking for round 1 based on the pre-season so far;

B: Petty, May, Rivers

HB: Brayshaw, Lever, Bowey

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Neal-Bullen, McDonald, Fritsch

F: Pickett, Brown, Spargo

R: Gawn, Petracca, Viney

I: Grundy, Sparrow, Chandler, McVee

Sub: Harmes

E: Jordon, Hibberd, JVR, D Turner

Injured: Salem