Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Monday 9th January 2023

dazzledavey36

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Thanks for all the reports.

Great to see TMAC and BBB getting back into fitness. We really missed these two last year (even though BBB played, he wasn't fit)

I think general fitness for the whole playing group killed us at the pointy end of the season. Fingers crossed for a team that can run out games haaaaaard! This year.

Choccos goal kicking drills sound pretty cool too. The cats dominated last year with fast switching and accurate field kicking. Hope we can do the same but harder and faster this year.

Happy 2023 everyone. Let's break this god forsaken premiership drought.

Yep one year is one tooo loooong!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Great reporting once again guys.

Few players im keen to keep an eye on in Woewodin, Jefferson and Schache? How did they train today?

Woewo was doing alright. His kicking still needs some work and I think needs to "do" a bit quicker. A run in the AFL would be useful for him, to see what is required.

Jefferson has a good kick on him, some of his goal sense is amazing. Even some of the others are looking, and seeing consistency. 

Schache seems to be holding his own, as well as keeping low key. Took some nice marks.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Thanks for all the reports.

Great to see TMAC and BBB getting back into fitness. We really missed these two last year (even though BBB played, he wasn't fit)

I think general fitness for the whole playing group killed us at the pointy end of the season. Fingers crossed for a team that can run out games haaaaaard! This year.

Choccos goal kicking drills sound pretty cool too. The cats dominated last year with fast switching and accurate field kicking. Hope we can do the same but harder and faster this year.

Happy 2023 everyone. Let's break this god forsaken premiership drought.

Looks like BBB may not be as cooked as some thought, hope he stays fit, TMac also.

• Like 7

I got down to training today. We settled on the fence. Choco Williams came over for a chat. My two boys played soccer with Leo and Bella McDonald, kids of Tom. It was good to be back.

There was no Oliver, Petty, Pickett or Lachie Hunter today. Goody and Ooze were MIA. Troy Chaplin seemed to be calling the shots. Kye Turner and Kynan Brown (son of Nathan) joined the main group. Trent Burgoyne was on a modified program. Joel Smith and Andy Moniz-Wakefield were in re-hab. Gus Brayshaw did a lot of things with the main group, but is on some sort of modified program. James Harmes was wearing a green hat signifying that he was a ‘non-contact’ player.

First up was the dreaded 2km time trial. The players were split into 4 groups of similar running ability. The two more able groups went first. Adam Tomlinson led the top group from start to finish, looking very fit in beating home Nibbla in second place. JJ came third, closely followed by Ed Langdon. For those interested in times, I timed the third group. Rick Lever won this group in a time of 6:30, Bailey Laurie not far behind him in 6:36. Josh Schache won the big fella’s group, ahead of a fast finishing Gawn. Ben Brown really impressed me. He hammered home behind Max and looked the best he has since late 2021. Brodie Grundy seemed to labour, which is not surprising considering his injury problems. The young blokes struggled. Will Verral in particular, took over 8 minutes to complete his 2kms and he had Jack Viney for company on his last lap, with Vin yapping to him the whole way home.  

The warm up drills were focused on quick ball movement and hitting short targets under pressure. One ball movement drill I found fascinating was red v whites. The whites (defenders) would move the ball up the line. The reds would receive the ball at half back and sling shot the ball forward through quick hands and feet into the corridor. The forwards would all set up high across half forward. They would then lead far and wide, especially back into the open spaces of the forward line towards the goal square. There were no indiscriminate kicks inside 50. Each kick, be it long or short, was towards a leading Brown, McDonald or Fritsch, mostly moving back into an empty forward zone. This was very different to our long kicks into pockets last year.

I won’t ramble any further. I’m happy to answer any questions.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 17
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, stinga said:

From the reports it seems Seston seems to be involved more than the other recruits.  Does he look like a chance later in the year or more like JVR last year and another season away

For a smaller fella, he has got the biggest legs and hips I have ever seen. He looks a real power athlete who could impact at Casey level this year. Aerobically, he's a long way off though. This could weigh against him this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

I got down to training today. We settled on the fence. Choco Williams came over for a chat. My two boys played soccer with Leo and Bella McDonald, kids of Tom. It was good to be back.

There was no Oliver, Petty, Pickett or Lachie Hunter today. Goody and Ooze were MIA. Troy Chaplin seemed to be calling the shots. Kye Turner and Kynan Brown (son of Nathan) joined the main group. Trent Burgoyne was on a modified program. Joel Smith and Andy Moniz-Wakefield were in re-hab. Gus Brayshaw did a lot of things with the main group, but is on some sort of modified program. James Harmes was wearing a green hat signifying that he was a ‘non-contact’ player.

First up was the dreaded 2km time trial. The players were split into 4 groups of similar running ability. The two more able groups went first. Adam Tomlinson led the top group from start to finish, looking very fit in beating home Nibbla in second place. JJ came third, closely followed by Ed Langdon. For those interested in times, I timed the third group. Rick Lever won this group in a time of 6:30, Bailey Laurie not far behind him in 6:36. Josh Schache won the big fella’s group, ahead of a fast finishing Gawn. Ben Brown really impressed me. He hammered home behind Max and looked the best he has since late 2021. Brodie Grundy seemed to labour, which is not surprising considering his injury problems. The young blokes struggled. Will Verral in particular, took over 8 minutes to complete his 2kms and he had Jack Viney for company on his last lap, with Vin yapping to him the whole way home.  

The warm up drills were focused on quick ball movement and hitting short targets under pressure. One ball movement drill I found fascinating was red v whites. The whites (defenders) would move the ball up the line. The reds would receive the ball at half back and sling shot the ball forward through quick hands and feet into the corridor. The forwards would all set up high across half forward. They would then lead far and wide, especially back into the open spaces of the forward line towards the goal square. There were no indiscriminate kicks inside 50. Each kick, be it long or short, was towards a leading Brown, McDonald or Fritsch, mostly moving back into an empty forward zone. This was very different to our long kicks into pockets last year.

I won’t ramble any further. I’m happy to answer any questions.

I definitely saw ooze there

• Like 3

I wonder how much better it is for a premium ruckman to be training with (or against) another premium ruckman rather than a second stringer? We see it all the time with the best forwards having to battle the best defenders. But most clubs don't have a quality second ruckman to put up against their first choice big man.

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I wonder how much better it is for a premium ruckman to be training with (or against) another premium ruckman rather than a second stringer? We see it all the time with the best forwards having to battle the best defenders. But most clubs don't have a quality second ruckman to put up against their first choice big man.

The success of Gawndy will depend upon to a large extent on two factors:

1. How much we can use our ruck contests to advantage. We can win tap-outs but will these translate to centre clearances. History says not so much. 

2. How effective we can use the secondary ruck. To me this is the big one. Whether it is setting up behind play or having an extra presence down forward. Whether its an defensive increase in intercepts or goals kicked. Anything > +1 goal differential will be success. 

Then there is the flip side of how teams plan around Gawndy and what they will try to do to take advantage of an extra big fella on the filed / in rotation. 

• Like 3

Wow off to a flyer thanks DS, SB, Kev and TK plus all other posters I feel a bit shell shocked. That is a great start to 2023.!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Totally agree, Gawny had to really work to get to the rights spots when in marking duels today, and visa versa for Grundy. Really interesting to watch, the way they would try different tactics such as, make body contact early and push, or hang back a few steps so the other couldn't see them, or dance around from one side to the other, hoping for the advantage. 

I find all the work that many of the players are doing with each other, is inspiring. Many are passing on knowledge, I can see them talking extensively between drills. We really have a great culture that way. 

There is also plenty of banter and pseudo aggression as they gee each other up.

Support,  encouragement and competitiveness. 

Addit: Seems JVR is learning Fritch's leading patterns (always finding a step ahead, and led into lovely pockets of space with different angles). Both looking very good. Some of Bailey's snaps today were beautiful. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 6

13 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Wow off to a flyer thanks DS, SB, Kev and TK plus all other posters I feel a bit shell shocked. That is a great start to 2023.!!!!

Plenty of spectators and supporters there today. Great atmosphere for the first of 2023. Hoping the club informs us of future trainings. They posted on Facebook but not on the website, about this mornings session.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Tucker said:

Does anyone know when they next train at gosch paddock in the city the next few days with the family and the kids keen to watch 

Not much notice is ever given. I asked a buddy in the DA, our go-to for intel on training schedules and even he couldn’t confirm today’s time and location ‘til 11pm last night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tucker said:

Does anyone know when they next train at gosch paddock in the city the next few days with the family and the kids keen to watch 

A volunteer told me that they will train Wednesday 11th Jan at Gosch's, probably at 9.30 am.

He didn't mention today, so I remain sceptical, as he could have been talking about when he is on the track with them. Could easily be at Casey, though I hope not.

Today's training was mentioned on the Facebook page.

You could give the club a phone call.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Totally agree, Gawny had to really work to get to the rights spots when in marking duels today, and visa versa for Grundy. Really interesting to watch, the way they would try different tactics such as, make body contact early and push, or hang back a few steps so the other couldn't see them, or dance around from one side to the other, hoping for the advantage. 

I find all the work that many of the players are doing with each other, is inspiring. Many are passing on knowledge, I can see them talking extensively between drills. We really have a great culture that way. 

There is also plenty of banter and pseudo aggression as they gee each other up.

Support,  encouragement and competitiveness. 

Addit: Seems JVR is learning Fritch's leading patterns (always finding a step ahead, and led into lovely pockets of space with different angles). Both looking very good. Some of Bailey's snaps today were beautiful. 

Thanks KM. Bailey was not assessed as in Top 10 Forward by HUN recently but Lipinsky of Cwood was a top 10 in mids of the AFL!   Please how ridiculous.

Bailey is an A grader now with 55 goals each in 2021/2 and of course his fabulous best in the GF Flag win.

With JVR learning now plus MJ as a new player this year that's  potentially 3 medium/ talls with fantastic skills in forward craft.  Might not be this year but when they are mixed with say Tmac/BBB and our other smalls/mids I cannot see how our forward line will not be our strength in the very near future.

Those 3 stars have each got a forwards brain and skills eg goal kicking and snapping goals plus a hint of ball skills to sniff out goals others only dream of. Add Kossie and the straight kicking of BBB and T Mac I wonder whether our wasted shots are a thing if the past? 

Even Howes and Chandler are a real chance to join this bunch very soon!! 

Very exciting times ahead forward  of centre if our players play to a game plan and at a high speed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, 58er said:

Bailey is an A grader now with 55 goals each in 2021/2 and of course his fabulous best in the GF Flag win

I can see him improving even more. His capacity to lead to unusual spaces, his snaps are getting better and he is primed as one of the first picked, is durable and has some swagger going on. I predict this will be his year.

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Add Kossie and the straight kicking of BBB and T Mac I wonder whether our wasted shots are a thing if the past? 

William's is working hard on them getting their set shots right. If Tracc, Vines and Oliver become "dead eyes", watch out,

as taking our opportunities will hurt the oppositions. Some appear to flourish under the tutelage of Choco.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Reading all these training reports it's hard to see us not win the premiership.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Get on now before the odds tighten.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I think we have to reclaim the MCG as our fortress. We make ourselves unbeatable there, and we will be close this season.

The session was pretty good. Only a few had the fumbles, though most of the drills were done in a fairly low key manner (80% effort). May be a while till they go hard.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I think we have to reclaim the MCG as our fortress. We make ourselves unbeatable there, and we will be close this season.

The session was pretty good. Only a few had the fumbles, though most of the drills were done in a fairly low key manner (80% effort). May be a while till they go hard.

How's Spargo going?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

How's Spargo going?

He was one who was a bit fumbly, though he was getting to the right places in sims. He was also looking stronger and heavier, maybe more muscularity. Was able to break tackles with straighter running. I can see him doing more in and under work. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1