Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kozzy Pickett Re-Signs for 4 Years

48 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Pay kozzie whatever he wants.

Yes, he really is that good and worth it alone on marketing for our junior supporters. 

Never have I had such an emotional attachment to a player since Liam Jurrah and Jeff Farmer.

Yep, much bigger than Jackson and others. Much more emotion, more love. It’s going to be very painful as this plays out all season not knowing if he is staying or going. If he goes, it will be a huge blow to all fans particularly the kids. Really tough. A little bit of me will die. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Relax 'layzie.🙃

No amount of 'brainbusting' will give the answer until he signs or after we play our last game.  Either is many many months away.

I'm sure there's beautiful mind out there with a chalkboard who can figure it out with theorems and stuff 😜

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'm sure there's beautiful mind out there with a chalkboard who can figure it out with theorems and stuff 😜

What is that?

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Yep, much bigger than Jackson and others. Much more emotion, more love. It’s going to be very painful as this plays out all season not knowing if he is staying or going. If he goes, it will be a huge blow to all fans particularly the kids. Really tough. A little bit of me will die. 

The number of kids you see with 36 on their jumpers is a reminder of how much he’s adored. These kids likely have no say in which team to barrack for (😉),  but they’re Kozzie fans by choice. That’s a lot of little Dees hearts on the line. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, hemingway said:

It would be Jeff Farmer devastated levels for me if he left.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, BAMF said:

I appreciate your view. I just don't have the same.

Out of interest, what would you do? Ask him to sign? What would you do if you were in charge and he refused to sign till the end of the year.

Pickett is signed for this year, love the kid and if he refuses to sign that's his right and his position to fully utilise. Just hope that he gives his all in achieving what i would think most people who play professional sport do... Win the Final prize and be known for being a great footy player for the MfC. If your playing sport for the money only i don't really GAF about them. Not that they GAF about me but to me the AFL is about Finals and winning the Granny. I'm so happy that at least i seen 2021 with me Old man so all's good. Bring on 2023. It's Kozzies choice i just hope it's with us or we grab a decent player Not A "Draft Pick".

𝐂𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐀𝐏 🤬
Kane Cornes reckons Port have been “working on” Kozzy Pickett for over 12 months and that they remain “cautiously optimistic” about landing him.
It’s really exhausting seeing the unnecessary angst that the media can create among supporters.
Other than Cornes spouting this story with his own self-interest at play, there’s been little chatter from anyone else. Not to mention, that the last we heard from the Melbourne camp on the matter was from Tim Lamb in October saying:
💬 “Any talk about Kozzy leaving is absolutely ludicrous. We love Kozzy, Kozzy loves us.”
In The Age as recently as February 14, Jon Pierik reported that Melbourne are “increasingly confident” Kozzy would sign a new contract.
Steer clear; don’t be led down Kane’s rabbit hole 😏
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Kosi is a completely different person to Jackson. We need to stop lumping these two together.

Kosi also has, as previously mentioned, a serious girlfriend who resides in Melbourne and family spread across two states.

He has had a vastly different upbringing to Jackson, and just because Melbourne the city isn't his cup of tea, does not mean he isn't willing to deal with it for the sake of playing footy for a club he loves, where he sees long term success and has great friendships. 

If he does choose to leave, I am sure the club already has contingency plans. 

Jackson was never serious about staying with us long term. It was obvious from the second he only extended his contract for one year. Kosi has already previously extended his contract and if his management is in talks with us it means Kosi is definitely open to staying.

This whole thing might just be a clever ploy to up his contract value. Maybe he thinks he will have a phenomenal year in the midfield and earn himself a few more dollars/years. 

That's why the AFL needs to make changes for rookie contracts, at the very minimum someone like LJ should have stayed 5 years with the club before being free to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, David-Demon said:
𝐂𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐀𝐏 🤬

Other than Cornes spouting this story with his own self-interest at play, there’s been little chatter from anyone else.

Well put on Cornes process.

I like Kane Cornes as he doesn't always toe the party line and has successfully built a 'Kaneo' brand around pseudo outspoken commentary. Its his job to do this in a 24 hr media cyle. He stands out from the blandness.

But that's all he is and needs to be ignored on the Kozzie issue because of his perceived or real conflict of Interest (undeclared also in this case.)

His other commentary, such as a recent call-out on Jake Stringer adds colour to the industry, but his Kozzie agenda is downright borne of self interest and dissappointing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

That's why the AFL needs to make changes for rookie contracts, at the very minimum someone like LJ should have stayed 5 years with the club before being free to leave.

Not so sure about that

I was confident LJ would stay - I was so wrong and so disappointed particularly because on the surface at least we were not fairly compensated.

I'm not sure what the position is with Pickett but like all MFC fans I'd love him to be playing for us for a very long time he is without question a rare talent and so much loved by all fans especially those younger Dee supporters who the club needs to attract and retain.

Having said that forcing players to stay in an environment they are not happy in is not ideal. Take Jackson last year he was clearly not wanting to be there from mid-season and frankly contributed SFA apart from a few short cameos.

Understand what you are saying but if somebody desperately wants out (for reasons other than just $$$$) it may be counterproductive for all to not facilitate a change.

Club loyalty and love for the jumper don't appear to be particularly important to many players these days but hopefully our #36 has a fair bit of that running through his veins. Just like with LJ the club saw his potential early and took a risk on drafting him earlier than some thought. We invest a lot in our young players, and it would be great to share the benefits of that investment together rather than them heading elsewhere.     

• Like 3

Richo was just on SEN, interviewed by everyone's favourite shock jock in Kane Cornes.

Nothing much to add to the obligatory Kozzie question that came his way, other than "we're confident where things sit" and "Kozzie loves his club."

Sounds like this is the company line that will be trotted out for the near future.

Richo was a bit of a smart alec to Kane when he asked Kane if he was speaking to Kane Cornes or Jason Cripps of Port.

Richo also dropped the first bit of ill will I've heard from the club towards Luke Jackson. When asked at what point he thought LJ was gone, he said for basically the entire season they were confident without really knowing, but then sounded dismayed when he read Freo's website confirming that Jackson had chatted with Fremantle mid season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Not so sure about that

I was confident LJ would stay - I was so wrong and so disappointed particularly because on the surface at least we were not fairly compensated.

I'm not sure what the position is with Pickett but like all MFC fans I'd love him to be playing for us for a very long time he is without question a rare talent and so much loved by all fans especially those younger Dee supporters who the club needs to attract and retain.

Having said that forcing players to stay in an environment they are not happy in is not ideal. Take Jackson last year he was clearly not wanting to be there from mid-season and frankly contributed SFA apart from a few short cameos.

Understand what you are saying but if somebody desperately wants out (for reasons other than just $$$$) it may be counterproductive for all to not facilitate a change.

Club loyalty and love for the jumper don't appear to be particularly important to many players these days but hopefully our #36 has a fair bit of that running through his veins. Just like with LJ the club saw his potential early and took a risk on drafting him earlier than some thought. We invest a lot in our young players, and it would be great to share the benefits of that investment together rather than them heading elsewhere.     

The core issue is not of how happy the player is.  A player is picked up in the draft and developed by a club for a couple of years. The club should expect a reasonable number of playing years for that investment.  Five years may be too much, but it is definitely too short IMO now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It’s only going to get worse. Look at GWS, GCS and if Tassie gets a team….

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I think Kozzy will re-sign after the start of the season, maybe around Round 8 or so. He plays a low-possession role in the team but stands to better show off his wares and versatility this year by getting time through the midfield. I think his manager will have told him to wait until the season is underway - a few higher-possession, higher-impact games as a part-time mid would likely drive his price up more and would really be the pertinent thing to do from his end. The Jackson saga and MFCSS will have soured a lot of people when it comes to unsigned, talented players, but I'm confident Koz will be a Dee for at least the next few years of his career.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Richo was just on SEN, interviewed by everyone's favourite shock jock in Kane Cornes.

Nothing much to add to the obligatory Kozzie question that came his way, other than "we're confident where things sit" and "Kozzie loves his club."

Sounds like this is the company line that will be trotted out for the near future.

Richo was a bit of a smart alec to Kane when he asked Kane if he was speaking to Kane Cornes or Jason Cripps of Port.

Richo also dropped the first bit of ill will I've heard from the club towards Luke Jackson. When asked at what point he thought LJ was gone, he said for basically the entire season they were confident without really knowing, but then sounded dismayed when he read Freo's website confirming that Jackson had chatted with Fremantle mid season.

None of that fills me with confidence, especially the comparison to Jacko & that they were also "confident" on him whilst he was touring Freo's facilities during an MFC granted trip back home during the mid-season break. 

Wouldnt have taken Richo as one for naivety

Blood in the water 

21 hours ago, Demonland said:

This is absolutely correct.  I spoke to a Board member after the Essendon victory very early in the season last year.  He essentially told me Jackson was likely gone.  Last week spoke to the same Board member about Pickett. The Board, and the greater MFC don't see him leaving. Pickett nor his manager have ever expressed a consideration to leaving....... to the contrary.  This was not the experience with Luke whose mum put enormous pressure on to return to Fremantle.  Expect a new contract to be signed by Pickett in the first half of the season.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

That could be tough in certain circumstances. I would prefer that they cannot leave for a trade of less value than the original draft.

12 minutes ago, ManDee said:

That could be tough in certain circumstances. I would prefer that they cannot leave for a trade of less value than the original draft.

If that's the case then Cale Morton, Jack Watts and Jimmy Toumpas would still be at the Dees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

If that's the case then Cale Morton, Jack Watts and Jimmy Toumpas would still be at the Dees.

In the first 5 years.

Edit. I was talking about when the player wants to leave and the club wants to keep them.

Edited by ManDee

42 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

This is absolutely correct.  I spoke to a Board member after the Essendon victory very early in the season last year.  He essentially told me Jackson was likely gone.  Last week spoke to the same Board member about Pickett. The Board, and the greater MFC don't see him leaving. Pickett nor his manager have ever expressed a consideration to leaving....... to the contrary.  This was not the experience with Luke whose mum put enormous pressure on to return to Fremantle.  Expect a new contract to be signed by Pickett in the first half of the season.

In you face Kane...

i dont like you lucille ball GIF

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, David-Demon said:
𝐂𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐀𝐏 🤬
Kane Cornes reckons Port have been “working on” Kozzy Pickett for over 12 months and that they remain “cautiously optimistic” about landing him.
It’s really exhausting seeing the unnecessary angst that the media can create among supporters.
Other than Cornes spouting this story with his own self-interest at play, there’s been little chatter from anyone else. Not to mention, that the last we heard from the Melbourne camp on the matter was from Tim Lamb in October saying:
💬 “Any talk about Kozzy leaving is absolutely ludicrous. We love Kozzy, Kozzy loves us.”
In The Age as recently as February 14, Jon Pierik reported that Melbourne are “increasingly confident” Kozzy would sign a new contract.

Down The Rabbit Hole GIFs | Tenor

28 minutes ago, ManDee said:

In the first 5 years.

Edit. I was talking about when the player wants to leave and the club wants to keep them.

I like it. If a player was drafted pick 4 and some club ponies a top 3 pick up then so be it, at least it gives another layer of protection. 

I'd even be happy with a 3 year period for this.

4 hours ago, sue said:

The core issue is not of how happy the player is.  A player is picked up in the draft and developed by a club for a couple of years. The club should expect a reasonable number of playing years for that investment.  Five years may be too much, but it is definitely too short IMO now.

They are professional players, sorry but sentimentalism is not part of professional sports (or any profession for that matter).

• Like 1