Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Friday 16th December 2022

Demonland

It was around about this time four years ago that I turned up to Grosch’s Paddock on a sunny December morning to witness a sparkling Melbourne training session. With a few exceptions, the boys were training hard, looking fit and healthy and all was sweetness and light. I drafted a glowing report about the Demons’ prospects for 2019, sat back and looked forward to a year of football bliss.

To my surprise, the Dees had a shocker of a season finishing in 17th place. They even ended the year below Carlton who turned at 1-10 halfway through the season and they sacked their coach! We snuck home by a single point against the eventual wooden spooners on the Gold Coast and the whole dismal year ended in doom and gloom with bushfires ravaging the continent. The scourge of Covid-19 was waiting for us around the corner.

Come January, my New Year’s resolution was never to write a glowing preseason training report again.

Hence, in summary, my impressions about this morning’s session at the Paddock was that it sucked!

Some of the negative things I noted in my head as I watched the session were:-

• The number of players who were in rehab or injured during the session. The rehab group included premiership players Angus Brayshaw and Michael Hibberd while Jake Lever hurt his knee during the session. Bulldogs recruit Lachie Hunter also took a knock early but resumed training. Others in rehab were Andy Moniz-Wakefield, Joel Smith, Deakyn Smith, newcomers Jed Adams, Will Verrell and train on potential recruit Trent Burgoyne. Disappointing.

• Hardly any of the young players appear ready – most of them were kept back from the simulated match play and trained separately under Choco Williams. They might have been good at NAB Cup or APS football, but they are not ready to play AFL senior football in 2023, not even the kid we plucked out of obscurity from Xavier College. Recruits are not what they used to be, and we might as well start getting used to making the long drive down the Monash Freeway and beyond to Casey Fields if we want to see those blokes next year. So disappointing that we will not get to see our first rookie draft pick burning up the G against the Bulldogs in Round 1.

• Who oversees the players’ wardrobes these days? I noticed a couple of ruck duels between two blokes who were both wearing the number 6 on their backs. How do they expect us to tell them apart so that those of us who take the trouble to turn up to a training session can report on their performances with some accuracy? Not good enough!

• There was too much fun and frivolity. Players were having a fun time but it’s December - exactly the time when players should be knuckling down for the rigours of the long season ahead.

• My god, Christian Salem's aged! His hair has turned grey overnight!

• I have a number of other complaints and that’s why this report isn’t a glowing one as you might have expected. Take off the rose coloured glasses and start worrying. Think MFCSS and with a bit of luck I might make a different New Year’s resolution at the end of 2023.

Merry Christmas all!!!

0E454E09-D161-4423-ADD1-7765E5B2F2A8.thumb.jpeg.9038b5d22d2b063058a995ff6928c644.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 30
  • Clap 3

Seriously great read, thanks to all the posters for good news and great reports to finish off this year.  Definitely looking forward to 2023 and rebuilding my house that I have just torn down .

training the house down.  Love it. Thanks

merry Christmas to all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve not seen Bayley Fritsch’s name mentioned! Was he out there? Otherwise what a great thread to end the year on. Congratulations to you all for the reports.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Great reports, I agree that I don't want to see Max playing much forward next year. He is so much more valuable behind the ball and the team functions infinitely better.

He heavily influences decision making at the top too much for my liking. As a forward he is average and we all know why.

Ben Brown, Tom Mac and Fritsch are more than enough to deal with.

And as for Gus, I genuinely think he's come back out of condition and they're building him back up. Looks like he's put on weight imo.

• Like 1

Thunderbirds Are Go (TV Series 2015–2020) - IMDb

Lady Penelope  “Step on it Parker we don’t want to be late for our Rendezvous”

Nosey Parker  “Yes M’Lady our Rendezvous with our Orstralian Agent Picket Fence”

Lady Penelope  “Precisely Parker, Precisely It will be good to see him again”(Hides a faint Blush)!

Parker “What is this all about asking us to meet him at a place Called Gosh’s Paddock

Lady Penelope “Im not exactly sure but something to do with Demon Depth whatever that means”!

Parker  “Demon Depth?? You mean to do with how Deep is the Demon”?

Lady Penelope “Possibly Parker, Possibly” “I believe this place is near a River Similar to the Thames called the Yarra” On the strength of it I might make a Call to Jeff Tracey asking him to have Pod 4 Ready to go with Thunderbird 4 and Gordon”

Parker “ Jolly Good M Lady, ohhhhhh  % #&^

Lady Penelope “Parker whats wrong”??

Parker Sorry M Lady but these F%#@*&% Marrionette Wires got tangled around the top of me leg around my”

Lady Penelope “PARKER……… THAT WILL BE QUITE ENOUGH!”

Parker (Meekly) “Yes M lady oh look there’s Picket Fence now over there waving!

PF TRAINING REPORT

DEES DEPTH AT AN ALL TIME HIGH

Hello Landers please find training report Friday 16th December Gosh’s Paddock

Bigfoot Warning Sign High Quality Sticker by Crucible2020

Greeting all and welcome to Gosh’s paddock, where Bigfoot sightings have been recorded, seems I just cannot get away from dangerous entities in presenting my reports

INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES

Gus , Hibbo, Jed Ad, Will Verell, Andy Moniz -Wakefield, Joel Smith ( Just cant take a trick)  although Will Verrell , Hibbo, Gus and Young Burgoyne were all doing run throughs

SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS

After warm ups and Run Throughs players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of

·         Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring

·         One on one groundhog day ground ball gets

·         Telescopic Talls in Marking contest situations

Main drills consisted of half ground match sim which all took part in after rotating with another corridor footy drill on the other side. Other than that a full match sim which excluded the newbies was a terrific look at our game style which often took the ball from one end of the ground to the other. I unlike others was happy with forward line presentations and it appears that we are going to be spoilt with the riches of players and depth the likes of which I have never seen from an MFC outfit. In fact the contest for places in this team are going to be FIERCE.

PLAYER WATCH A

I’ll start with the usual suspects and throw a few other observations in. VINEY,was in scintillating form pace, disposal, grunt finishing of were all of an extremely high standard as per usual. CLARRY CHOO CHOO Beast and I mean beast just literally just cannot be stopped, at one stage he was tackled by three players in a contested get shrugged them all of and fired out a deadly handball. Just left me speechless. T MAC,HEEEEES BAAAACK, Bigger badder and better than ever, looked super fit and ran around looking very dangerous indeed. Speaking of Back, BBB is over his injuries and proved time and again what an ASSET he will be yet again as a key forward. MAX, CP5, LEVER, MAY LANGERS all were shining lights in match sims and general drills

OLD NEW BORROWED AND RED AND BLUE PLAYER WATCH B

BRODIE GRUNDY, Will be unstoppable this year for the MFC, After seeing him today I’m still scatching my head at Collingwoods stupidity and player list debacle that saw him now with us. This guy runs like a gazelle, is great below his knees and is a decathlete like runner, all thus plus his great ruck work and can kick a goal, ( WILL FINISH TOP 3 IN OUR B&F BANK IT IN). LACHY HUNTER, again Dishlickers inability with player management has seen us the beneficiaries of a very fine player. He has “Elite” endurance, smart footy brain, great disposal and puts himself in dangerous positions often. MATT JEFFERSON, yes he needs to put on weight, but gee he looks like he belongs, can Mark, leads well is a dead eye kick and has great “Hang time” a la Aaron Naughton, he knows where to run and will play senior footy later in year I believe. JVR, Looks like he knows its time, crashes packs, aerialist, is never out of the play and has that Swarrta presence. KYE TURNER, Reminds me in some ways of a cross between Andy Goodwin and Anthony Ingerson, just seems to be aware of his surroundings and has a good skill set. KYNAN BROWN, No 39 Really liked the look of this player, moved well has pace good skill set and plays not dissimilarly to his old man, terrific to see, Also liked the look of OLIVER S no 38. Built low to the ground a la Peter Daicos and he also looks very comfortable coming from a low fitness base, also has clean hands and has that ability to ride a Bump into a position where he still is over the ball, Looks a definite Goer! JOSH SHACKY ATTACKY ALREADY Better in every way to Weeds and thats no direspect, he just is a cut above with his body use, Marks and Kicks well and does not get pushed under the ball. Anyway that’s it from me, I’m meeting an old friend from England who drives a Pink Rolls and I will tell her all about the Dees Depth and how we should be able to atone for a somewhat disappointing finals series to bounce right back in 2023. Cheers all P.F

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 6
  • Clap 2

So other than Gus it sounds like our best 22 are all tracking well.

I am surprised and happy to hear that Ben Brown and Tmac are both training fully as I expected both to be limping around on mobility scooters in December. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

I’ve not seen Bayley Fritsch’s name mentioned! Was he out there? Otherwise what a great thread to end the year on. Congratulations to you all for the reports.

Yes Bayley was out there but most of the forward targets in the drills were the key position forwards so I only rarely sighted him. Having said that Melksham was bobbing up a lot and I noticed him so ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Yes Bayley was out there but most of the forward targets in the drills were the key position forwards so I only rarely sighted him. Having said that Melksham was bobbing up a lot and I noticed him so ...

Yep and trained well as usual!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Great reports, I agree that I don't want to see Max playing much forward next year. He is so much more valuable behind the ball and the team functions infinitely better.

He heavily influences decision making at the top too much for my liking. As a forward he is average and we all know why.

Ben Brown, Tom Mac and Fritsch are more than enough to deal with.

And as for Gus, I genuinely think he's come back out of condition and they're building him back up. Looks like he's put on weight imo.

One of Grundy or Gawn needs to play forward.

Both will play 80%+ game time which means they will be on the ground together 60% of the game.

There is no there option unless we are willing to play with a 5-man forward line or Grundy plays as a ruck rover.

• Thinking 2

5 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

One of Grundy or Gawn needs to play forward.

Both will play 80%+ game time which means they will be on the ground together 60% of the game.

There is no there option unless we are willing to play with a 5-man forward line or Grundy plays as a ruck rover.

From what I observed today in the match sim this is absolutely the case. Max and Grundy were the main ruckman playing against the two backup ruckman/forwards in JVR and Schache.

When Gawn or Grundy was not in the ruck they were playing forward as the 2nd forward.

I hope that there is some flexibility in the set up and it's not so predictable. We definitely missed Max down back at times last year but due to injuries in our forward line there was a need to have him playing there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If they are to play forward then Maxie and Grundee must not compete with BBB, TMac or Fritta. Let them play decoy or provide alternative options.

Too often two and three dees invite a crowd and the chance for a mark is spoiled. All forward thrusts should be directed to whoever is one on one, not in a crowd.

There should be enough opportunities for everyone.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Demonland said:

From what I observed today in the match sim this is absolutely the case. Max and Grundy were the main ruckman playing against the two backup ruckman/forwards in JVR and Schache.

When Gawn or Grundy was not in the ruck they were playing forward as the 2nd forward.

I hope that there is some flexibility in the set up and it's not so predictable. We definitely missed Max down back at times last year but due to injuries in our forward line there was a need to have him playing there.

I agree, max down back seems like it really helps lever out - reducing the need for him be in a 1:1 with a direct opponent 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

“Lady Penelope we should be able to atone for a disappointing finals series to bounce right back 2023”200.gif

THUNDERBIRDS

DEMONS ARE GO!

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tiers said:

When does training start in the new year. At Gosch's.

Given that this was the last sessions and there is 2 weeks between now and new years I'd say they would be back some time in the first week of the new year or definitely the week after.

Whether those sessions are at Casey or Gosch's that is still a mystery.

Hopefully the club at the very least advertises 1 session a week as Open at Gosch's. I assume that Casey sessions are the lockdown tactical sessions away from the prying eyes of the public and the media.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES

Gus , Hibbo, Jed Ad, Will Verell, Andy Moniz -Wakefield, Joel Smith ( Just cant take a trick)  although Will Verrell , Hibbo, Gus and Young Burgoyne were all doing run throughs

OLD NEW BORROWED AND RED AND BLUE PLAYER WATCH B

KYNAN BROWN, No 39 Really liked the look of this player, moved well has pace good skill set and plays not dissimilarly to his old man, terrific to see, 

Excellent report Pickett and I agree with all of it

My only observations were that I think it was Deakyn Smith running in rehab not AMW.  I didn't see AMW there.  But I could be wrong because @Demonland referenced him too.

Kynan Brown really looked like a schoolboy amongst men to me.  No doubt a year of growth and development will do him the world of good.

Edited by old55
  • Like 7