• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

New MFC Board Member

Hawk the Demon

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

That's just not factually correct. No one is allowed to engage in electioneering, whether they are an existing board member or a new candidate. The rules apply across the board.

And do you reckon that particular rule suits an incumbent or a member nominated candidate? One day before members are invited to nominate prospective candidates - from our 42,000+ membership base (might be some good ones out there) - the Board chooses a single person to fill a vacancy (that only they know about). I am afraid the message to members is simple - we have found a someone - no need to apply.......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

And do you reckon that particular rule suits an incumbent or a member nominated candidate? One day before members are invited to nominate prospective candidates - from our 42,000+ membership base (might be some good ones out there) - the Board chooses a single person to fill a vacancy (that only they know about). I am afraid the message to members is simple - we have found a someone - no need to apply.......

As I mentioned previously, I'm sure it seems that way when we're going well, but not so much when we're not.

And I believe it's been pointed out to you already that it seems this election is not merely related to that particular scenario and that spot will also be voted on.

I mean honestly, the club is going fantastically well, AFL flag, VFL flag, AFLW flag, finances in a good place, it really would seem that those agitating against the board now seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against particular members. You may even say they seem a bit Deestracted by their own agendas...

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

anyone interested in running would know when the next agm is roughly scheduled 

they could have started collecting nominations any time before that they choose

i hope you are not suggesting 20 nominations is some sort of insuperable barrier?

or that potential nominees only start thinking of nominating when the club makes an announcement?

i know you have some sort of agenda with the board but some of the things you raise seem just petty

A fair, open and transparent process of compiling and refreshing a Board is critical to getting the best people on a Board. The current process is effectively one where the Board chooses who else is on the Board. Of course the current process leads to a stable Board (apart from back in April 2021 it seems) even a unified Board, but where were the members in that process?

Guessing when the AGM will (roughly) be? - scouring the HeraldSun for a single ad in the off-season? - find the ad and be advised in a prominent announcement by the Club that a Board vacancy has occurred the day before the ad, which members had no knowledge of. Don't worry the vacancy has been filled.

Sorry - don't think that's petty. Just a fundamentally flawed process.

And the message from defenders of this process is if you don't like it - find 20 nominators and run. Please, please read the latest set of Election Rules on the website - the fifth version we have had in two years. Afetr reading those, any non-incumbent candidate would run a mile......

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

As I mentioned previously, I'm sure it seems that way when we're going well, but not so much when we're not.

And I believe it's been pointed out to you already that it seems this election is not merely related to that particular scenario and that spot will also be voted on.

I mean honestly, the club is going fantastically well, AFL flag, VFL flag, AFLW flag, finances in a good place, it really would seem that those agitating against the board now seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against particular members. You may even say they seem a bit Deestracted by their own agendas...

Simple, have a great process - you'll get a great Board. These are great footy times, no doubt - exactly the time to sort this out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, old dee said:

The problem DC is that a candidate can have the necessary skill but if their opinion differs to the existing board they stand very little chance of being prefered. E.G. if someone nominated and their attitude on where the new home varied from close to the G what chance would they have? Zero IMO. 

Over the years we had committees and boards that were divided and pulled in different directions and we never got anywhere. 

More recently, we had relative stability but the leader lost support of the majority and was replaced at the head of the board and eventually left. In the interim, once he was sidelined, we won a flag. 

Tell me why do we need someone to stir the pot if the vacancy is filled by someone who’s on board with the club’s aims now?

Edited by Sydney Pennski

11 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Simple, have a great process - you'll get a great Board. These are great footy times, no doubt - exactly the time to sort this out!

We have a great board.  If you disagree with that, go join Collingwood where you'd be lucky if you can get a vote in, or Hawthorn, which is having the most devisive AGM electioneering going on, with Kennett being at the heart of it.

• Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

That's very interesting... from a quick google, it seems like she has quite a lot of experience in the gambling industry (Crown, Galaxy Entertainment).  Her credentials are strong but this does conflict with our responsible gambling stance / divestment from gambling more broadly.

I don't see any conflict at all. Not all gambling companies, or their employees, are dodgy and unsuitable. I don't know her from a bar of soap, but her experience with customer facing businesses should be very helpful to the club. I also note that she was an adviser to the AFLPA in the late1990s, so has some "hands on" football experience.    

As to the process, the idea that the Board should be comprised of winners of a popularity contest, rather than be selected based on filling a need for appropriate skills is quite bizarre. It's perfectly sane for the current Board to have a preferred candidate because it's only those on the Board who know what skills and experiences they are lacking. Should the Board regularly choose unwisely, the club will struggle and at that time the members will have the ability to make wholesale changes at an election.

• Like 2

Is this a business or not?

Dont see much democracy on Collins St but we want our board to be run like Stonnington council?

We don’t have time to not fill a position, and we don’t have time to launder all decisions through a membership base that is largely ill informed or disconnected.

If you don’t like it, forget about AFL and go watch suburban footy and get involved.

4 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Is this a business or not?

Dont see much democracy on Collins St but we want our board to be run like Stonnington council?

We don’t have time to not fill a position, and we don’t have time to launder all decisions through a membership base that is largely ill informed or disconnected.

If you don’t like it, forget about AFL and go watch suburban footy and get involved.

as someone who lives in stonnington council, absolutely not!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Sydney Pennski said:

Over the years we had committees and boards that were divided and pulled in different directions and we never got anywhere. 

More recently, we had relative stability but the leader lost support of the majority and was replaced at the head of the board and eventually left. In the interim, once he was sidelined, we won a flag. 

Tell me why do we need someone to stir the pot if the vacancy is filled by someone who’s on board with the club’s aims now?

This could take off on a different direction so I will stick to saying it isn’t democratic.

What if things were going poorly and the members wanted change, the existing board could effectively stop any attempts at change. Dictatorships are fine until things go bad and then you cannot change. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

You still haven't answered what's being done in secret.

I think you are missing my point, I said you should add secrecy to your list. As to your question above, the home base is secret.. We are kept in the dark like mushrooms. There may have been a good offer made to the club about a home at Docklands but because the board is welded on to the G we do not know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

You still haven't answered what's being done in secret.

We get lots of direct emails from the Club Katrina. This week we got one announcing the retirement of a director and the appointment of a  new director. We got another regarding a gift guide for Christmas. Did we get an email advising voting members that you have until next week to nominate another member to the Board? No.

Buy the HeraldSun on the one day the relevant ad appears and read the Classifieds.

Look, I know you love the Club and the Board Katrina, but not advising members of important deadlines for nominations shows a lack of fairness, openness and transparency. Let's get better in that area.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't see any conflict at all. Not all gambling companies, or their employees, are dodgy and unsuitable. I don't know her from a bar of soap, but her experience with customer facing businesses should be very helpful to the club. I also note that she was an adviser to the AFLPA in the late1990s, so has some "hands on" football experience.    

As to the process, the idea that the Board should be comprised of winners of a popularity contest, rather than be selected based on filling a need for appropriate skills is quite bizarre. It's perfectly sane for the current Board to have a preferred candidate because it's only those on the Board who know what skills and experiences they are lacking. Should the Board regularly choose unwisely, the club will struggle and at that time the members will have the ability to make wholesale changes at an election.

From the last two years I think it's pretty clear that the Board (the Presidents actually) will let us know who their preferred candidate is. By explicitly advising you how to vote in 2021 or something a little more subtle last year.

By your logic we wait until there is a crisis at the Club and then we dig around for replacement candidates? What about always striving for better by putting up more than one qualified candidate and, God forbid, let the members decide?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

We get lots of direct emails from the Club Katrina. This week we got one announcing the retirement of a director and the appointment of a  new director. We got another regarding a gift guide for Christmas. Did we get an email advising voting members that you have until next week to nominate another member to the Board? No.

Buy the HeraldSun on the one day the relevant ad appears and read the Classifieds.

Look, I know you love the Club and the Board Katrina, but not advising members of important deadlines for nominations shows a lack of fairness, openness and transparency. Let's get better in that area.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1256360/nominations-for-election-to-the-melbourne-football-club-ltd-board

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

From the last two years I think it's pretty clear that the Board (the Presidents actually) will let us know who their preferred candidate is. By explicitly advising you how to vote in 2021 or something a little more subtle last year.

By your logic we wait until there is a crisis at the Club and then we dig around for replacement candidates? What about always striving for better by putting up more than one qualified candidate and, God forbid, let the members decide?

But how do the members know who might be the best candidate for the Board? A well-functioning Board knows what its needs are. It should also do its own due diligence on potential Board members to ensure that the people it is considering are, in fact, suitable. How do the members do that? Choosing the best candidate for the Board is not the same as voting for a contestant on a television reality program. 

I broadly agree with your comment that members should "wait until there is a crisis" although I would suggest that the word "crisis" is not quite the correct term. I believe it would be clear that the Board needs to be replaced before it gets to a "crisis" stage, although admittedly, one person's "deep concern" might be another person's "crisis".  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

But how do the members know who might be the best candidate for the Board? A well-functioning Board knows what its needs are. It should also do its own due diligence on potential Board members to ensure that the people it is considering are, in fact, suitable. How do the members do that? Choosing the best candidate for the Board is not the same as voting for a contestant on a television reality program. 

I broadly agree with your comment that members should "wait until there is a crisis" although I would suggest that the word "crisis" is not quite the correct term. I believe it would be clear that the Board needs to be replaced before it gets to a "crisis" stage, although admittedly, one person's "deep concern" might be another person's "crisis".  

Members are sent with a notification of the AGM a booklet with candidate statements.  That gives all candidates, incumbent or not, the same equal opportunity to communicate to members who they are and what they stand for.  The reason for the "no electioneering" is to prevent candidates with access to greater resources than others giving themselves an unfair advantage, and to prevent some of the ****stirring we're currently seeing with the Hawthorn election at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1