Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

New MFC Board Member


Hawk the Demon
 Share


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

That's just not factually correct. No one is allowed to engage in electioneering, whether they are an existing board member or a new candidate. The rules apply across the board.

And do you reckon that particular rule suits an incumbent or a member nominated candidate? One day before members are invited to nominate prospective candidates - from our 42,000+ membership base (might be some good ones out there) - the Board chooses a single person to fill a vacancy (that only they know about). I am afraid the message to members is simple - we have found a someone - no need to apply.......

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

And do you reckon that particular rule suits an incumbent or a member nominated candidate? One day before members are invited to nominate prospective candidates - from our 42,000+ membership base (might be some good ones out there) - the Board chooses a single person to fill a vacancy (that only they know about). I am afraid the message to members is simple - we have found a someone - no need to apply.......

As I mentioned previously, I'm sure it seems that way when we're going well, but not so much when we're not.

And I believe it's been pointed out to you already that it seems this election is not merely related to that particular scenario and that spot will also be voted on.

I mean honestly, the club is going fantastically well, AFL flag, VFL flag, AFLW flag, finances in a good place, it really would seem that those agitating against the board now seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against particular members. You may even say they seem a bit Deestracted by their own agendas...

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

anyone interested in running would know when the next agm is roughly scheduled 

they could have started collecting nominations any time before that they choose

i hope you are not suggesting 20 nominations is some sort of insuperable barrier?

or that potential nominees only start thinking of nominating when the club makes an announcement?

i know you have some sort of agenda with the board but some of the things you raise seem just petty

A fair, open and transparent process of compiling and refreshing a Board is critical to getting the best people on a Board. The current process is effectively one where the Board chooses who else is on the Board. Of course the current process leads to a stable Board (apart from back in April 2021 it seems) even a unified Board, but where were the members in that process?

Guessing when the AGM will (roughly) be? - scouring the HeraldSun for a single ad in the off-season? - find the ad and be advised in a prominent announcement by the Club that a Board vacancy has occurred the day before the ad, which members had no knowledge of. Don't worry the vacancy has been filled.

Sorry - don't think that's petty. Just a fundamentally flawed process.

And the message from defenders of this process is if you don't like it - find 20 nominators and run. Please, please read the latest set of Election Rules on the website - the fifth version we have had in two years. Afetr reading those, any non-incumbent candidate would run a mile......

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

As I mentioned previously, I'm sure it seems that way when we're going well, but not so much when we're not.

And I believe it's been pointed out to you already that it seems this election is not merely related to that particular scenario and that spot will also be voted on.

I mean honestly, the club is going fantastically well, AFL flag, VFL flag, AFLW flag, finances in a good place, it really would seem that those agitating against the board now seem to have some kind of personal vendetta against particular members. You may even say they seem a bit Deestracted by their own agendas...

Simple, have a great process - you'll get a great Board. These are great footy times, no doubt - exactly the time to sort this out!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, old dee said:

The problem DC is that a candidate can have the necessary skill but if their opinion differs to the existing board they stand very little chance of being prefered. E.G. if someone nominated and their attitude on where the new home varied from close to the G what chance would they have? Zero IMO. 

Over the years we had committees and boards that were divided and pulled in different directions and we never got anywhere. 

More recently, we had relative stability but the leader lost support of the majority and was replaced at the head of the board and eventually left. In the interim, once he was sidelined, we won a flag. 

Tell me why do we need someone to stir the pot if the vacancy is filled by someone who’s on board with the club’s aims now?

Edited by Sydney Pennski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Simple, have a great process - you'll get a great Board. These are great footy times, no doubt - exactly the time to sort this out!

We have a great board.  If you disagree with that, go join Collingwood where you'd be lucky if you can get a vote in, or Hawthorn, which is having the most devisive AGM electioneering going on, with Kennett being at the heart of it.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

That's very interesting... from a quick google, it seems like she has quite a lot of experience in the gambling industry (Crown, Galaxy Entertainment).  Her credentials are strong but this does conflict with our responsible gambling stance / divestment from gambling more broadly.

I don't see any conflict at all. Not all gambling companies, or their employees, are dodgy and unsuitable. I don't know her from a bar of soap, but her experience with customer facing businesses should be very helpful to the club. I also note that she was an adviser to the AFLPA in the late1990s, so has some "hands on" football experience.    

As to the process, the idea that the Board should be comprised of winners of a popularity contest, rather than be selected based on filling a need for appropriate skills is quite bizarre. It's perfectly sane for the current Board to have a preferred candidate because it's only those on the Board who know what skills and experiences they are lacking. Should the Board regularly choose unwisely, the club will struggle and at that time the members will have the ability to make wholesale changes at an election.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this a business or not?

Dont see much democracy on Collins St but we want our board to be run like Stonnington council?

We don’t have time to not fill a position, and we don’t have time to launder all decisions through a membership base that is largely ill informed or disconnected.

If you don’t like it, forget about AFL and go watch suburban footy and get involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Is this a business or not?

Dont see much democracy on Collins St but we want our board to be run like Stonnington council?

We don’t have time to not fill a position, and we don’t have time to launder all decisions through a membership base that is largely ill informed or disconnected.

If you don’t like it, forget about AFL and go watch suburban footy and get involved.

as someone who lives in stonnington council, absolutely not!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sydney Pennski said:

Over the years we had committees and boards that were divided and pulled in different directions and we never got anywhere. 

More recently, we had relative stability but the leader lost support of the majority and was replaced at the head of the board and eventually left. In the interim, once he was sidelined, we won a flag. 

Tell me why do we need someone to stir the pot if the vacancy is filled by someone who’s on board with the club’s aims now?

This could take off on a different direction so I will stick to saying it isn’t democratic.

What if things were going poorly and the members wanted change, the existing board could effectively stop any attempts at change. Dictatorships are fine until things go bad and then you cannot change. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

You still haven't answered what's being done in secret.

I think you are missing my point, I said you should add secrecy to your list. As to your question above, the home base is secret.. We are kept in the dark like mushrooms. There may have been a good offer made to the club about a home at Docklands but because the board is welded on to the G we do not know. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

You still haven't answered what's being done in secret.

We get lots of direct emails from the Club Katrina. This week we got one announcing the retirement of a director and the appointment of a  new director. We got another regarding a gift guide for Christmas. Did we get an email advising voting members that you have until next week to nominate another member to the Board? No.

Buy the HeraldSun on the one day the relevant ad appears and read the Classifieds.

Look, I know you love the Club and the Board Katrina, but not advising members of important deadlines for nominations shows a lack of fairness, openness and transparency. Let's get better in that area.

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't see any conflict at all. Not all gambling companies, or their employees, are dodgy and unsuitable. I don't know her from a bar of soap, but her experience with customer facing businesses should be very helpful to the club. I also note that she was an adviser to the AFLPA in the late1990s, so has some "hands on" football experience.    

As to the process, the idea that the Board should be comprised of winners of a popularity contest, rather than be selected based on filling a need for appropriate skills is quite bizarre. It's perfectly sane for the current Board to have a preferred candidate because it's only those on the Board who know what skills and experiences they are lacking. Should the Board regularly choose unwisely, the club will struggle and at that time the members will have the ability to make wholesale changes at an election.

From the last two years I think it's pretty clear that the Board (the Presidents actually) will let us know who their preferred candidate is. By explicitly advising you how to vote in 2021 or something a little more subtle last year.

By your logic we wait until there is a crisis at the Club and then we dig around for replacement candidates? What about always striving for better by putting up more than one qualified candidate and, God forbid, let the members decide?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

We get lots of direct emails from the Club Katrina. This week we got one announcing the retirement of a director and the appointment of a  new director. We got another regarding a gift guide for Christmas. Did we get an email advising voting members that you have until next week to nominate another member to the Board? No.

Buy the HeraldSun on the one day the relevant ad appears and read the Classifieds.

Look, I know you love the Club and the Board Katrina, but not advising members of important deadlines for nominations shows a lack of fairness, openness and transparency. Let's get better in that area.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1256360/nominations-for-election-to-the-melbourne-football-club-ltd-board

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

From the last two years I think it's pretty clear that the Board (the Presidents actually) will let us know who their preferred candidate is. By explicitly advising you how to vote in 2021 or something a little more subtle last year.

By your logic we wait until there is a crisis at the Club and then we dig around for replacement candidates? What about always striving for better by putting up more than one qualified candidate and, God forbid, let the members decide?

But how do the members know who might be the best candidate for the Board? A well-functioning Board knows what its needs are. It should also do its own due diligence on potential Board members to ensure that the people it is considering are, in fact, suitable. How do the members do that? Choosing the best candidate for the Board is not the same as voting for a contestant on a television reality program. 

I broadly agree with your comment that members should "wait until there is a crisis" although I would suggest that the word "crisis" is not quite the correct term. I believe it would be clear that the Board needs to be replaced before it gets to a "crisis" stage, although admittedly, one person's "deep concern" might be another person's "crisis".  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

But how do the members know who might be the best candidate for the Board? A well-functioning Board knows what its needs are. It should also do its own due diligence on potential Board members to ensure that the people it is considering are, in fact, suitable. How do the members do that? Choosing the best candidate for the Board is not the same as voting for a contestant on a television reality program. 

I broadly agree with your comment that members should "wait until there is a crisis" although I would suggest that the word "crisis" is not quite the correct term. I believe it would be clear that the Board needs to be replaced before it gets to a "crisis" stage, although admittedly, one person's "deep concern" might be another person's "crisis".  

Members are sent with a notification of the AGM a booklet with candidate statements.  That gives all candidates, incumbent or not, the same equal opportunity to communicate to members who they are and what they stand for.  The reason for the "no electioneering" is to prevent candidates with access to greater resources than others giving themselves an unfair advantage, and to prevent some of the ****stirring we're currently seeing with the Hawthorn election at the moment.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   2 members

  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 9th January 2023

    DEESPENCER'S TRAINING REPORT The 4 unsighted Kozzy, Petty, Hunter and Oliver . Lots of players in different numbers making it confusing. Brayshaw mostly doing some kick to kick and repeat jogging with Adams and Verrell. May and Harmes were in more drills then pulled out for light stuff. Burgoyne, Deak and Joel Smith on light duties. Joel did some solid repeat sprints. AMW on the watt bike. For a solid period they split in to 3 groups. Group A did a drill from the half fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...