• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

New MFC Board Member

Hawk the Demon

No matter how you cut it the process of electing board members is not democratic. Unless you are pre approved by the existing board you cannot make any statements of why you want to be elected. We saw last year that any sort of campaigning is not allowed. It is pretty much a closed shop.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

A pretty big advantage I would say. You become an incumbent member of the Board and your name is prominent in the Board Credentials Statement. The Election Committee (worth taking a look at the Election Rules on the Club Governance website) is made up of all or some of the other directors who are not running and who have just welcomed you onto the Board.......

yeah, ok, i probably shouldn't have said "albeit small". but the real advantage comes due to her being the board's preferred candidate rather than the short term incumbency. politics is never a level playing field, lol

and i should add that there is nothing wrong with a board having a preferred candidate. they are in a good position to know what specific skills they need to bring on board

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yeah, ok, i probably shouldn't have said "albeit small". but the real advantage comes due to her being the board's preferred candidate rather than the short term incumbency. politics is never a level playing field, lol

and i should add that there is nothing wrong with a board having a preferred candidate. they are in a good position to know what specific skills they need to bring on board

The problem DC is that a candidate can have the necessary skill but if their opinion differs to the existing board they stand very little chance of being prefered. E.G. if someone nominated and their attitude on where the new home varied from close to the G what chance would they have? Zero IMO. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, old dee said:

The problem DC is that a candidate can have the necessary skill but if their opinion differs to the existing board they stand very little chance of being prefered. E.G. if someone nominated and their attitude on where the new home varied from close to the G what chance would they have? Zero IMO. 

that's just politics, od

i'd rather a united board than a divided board, especially a board which has had success after decades of dismal disaster

putting a board together is not just an exercise of equal opportunity. the whole is greater than the components 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

that's just politics, od

i'd rather a united board than a divided board, especially a board which has had success after decades of dismal disaster

putting a board together is not just an exercise of equal opportunity. the whole is greater than the components 

i should add one thing

i don't approve of the board gag order which prevents candidates from publicly electioneering. i don't want open slather but current prohibitions seem too severe.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, old dee said:

I would add secrecy.  

What's secret?  They're being transparent about who is going in and out of the board.

I mean, seriously, in our living memory, can you recall a better position for the club to be in?  Do you want the days of the late 2000s/early 2010s when we're losing by dozens of goals, the board is a mess and the club is financially destitute?  They're currently doing a great job, FFS.  Stop whining.

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

What's secret?  They're being transparent about who is going in and out of the board.

I mean, seriously, in our living memory, can you recall a better position for the club to be in?  Do you want the days of the late 2000s/early 2010s when we're losing by dozens of goals, the board is a mess and the club is financially destitute?  They're currently doing a great job, FFS.  Stop whining.

You left out the AFL takeover with the board been given specific instructions, the last one being Sack Yourselves.

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

i should add one thing

i don't approve of the board gag order which prevents candidates from publicly electioneering. i don't want open slather but current prohibitions seem too severe.

The 'board gag' you refer to is there in the MFC Election Rules - 13 (c)

"(c) Except as provided for under these Rules, Candidates are not permitted to engage in electioneering."

8 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Who from Demonland wants to have a shot at the board?

You had better get moving - the invitation just landed today and you have 8 (now 7) days, incluidng the weekend, to get your 20 nominations sorted. Before you do that I suggest you read the Election Rules carefully. The term "Returning Officer" is mentioned at least 30 times. You had better get to know him well.....

5 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

The 'board gag' you refer to is there in the MFC Election Rules - 13 (c)

"(c) Except as provided for under these Rules, Candidates are not permitted to engage in electioneering."

i'm well aware, it has been discussed many times before here on 'land

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawk the Demon said:

You had better get moving - the invitation just landed today and you have 8 (now 7) days, incluidng the weekend, to get your 20 nominations sorted. Before you do that I suggest you read the Election Rules carefully. The term "Returning Officer" is mentioned at least 30 times. You had better get to know him well.....

anyone interested in running would know when the next agm is roughly scheduled 

they could have started collecting nominations any time before that they choose

i hope you are not suggesting 20 nominations is some sort of insuperable barrier?

or that potential nominees only start thinking of nominating when the club makes an announcement?

i know you have some sort of agenda with the board but some of the things you raise seem just petty

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Unless you are pre approved by the existing board you cannot make any statements of why you want to be elected.

That's just not factually correct. No one is allowed to engage in electioneering, whether they are an existing board member or a new candidate. The rules apply across the board.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

That's just not factually correct. No one is allowed to engage in electioneering, whether they are an existing board member or a new candidate. The rules apply across the board.

actually all candidates do have to go through an approval process before their names are put on the ballot

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Glad we aren't the Hawks atm, as there is electioneering going on over there big time and it is staring to get really dirty.

Dragging the players into it now as well.

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

Glad we aren't the Hawks atm, as there is electioneering going on over there big time and it is staring to get really dirty.

Dragging the players into it now as well.

yes but there is a big difference between no electioneering and open slather which they seem to allow

there are many more acceptable options between these two extremes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I was just adding that when you do things it secret it raises questions. Simply because we are going well at present does not change wether the system is democratic or not. Or are you happy to forgo democracy? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yes but as an incumbent you have the advantage of being seen as acceptable. Someone trying to get elected without the ability to say why you should vote for them  is seriously handy capped. Would you vote for someone you know nothing about? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, old dee said:

Yes but as an incumbent you have the advantage of being seen as acceptable. Someone trying to get elected without the ability to say why you should vote for them  is seriously handy capped. Would you vote for someone you know nothing about? 

They're all allowed to make their limited word statements, so it's fair across the board. While it may seem advantageous to be a current board member when things are going well, I'm sure it's not as useful when the club is struggling and members are frustrated.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, old dee said:

I was just adding that when you do things it secret it raises questions. Simply because we are going well at present does not change wether the system is democratic or not. Or are you happy to forgo democracy? 

I would just like to say that voting in an election for your footy club is not democratic at all in that the franchise is extremely restricted - club members only.  99.9% of Aussies cannot vote.  I do want a fair election process though and i think that currently is ok.  The electioneering restrictions seem somewhat harsh.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, daisycutter said:

what i was implying was trotter could have announced he was retiring as of the next agm

by retiring just before and appointing a casual this gives the the casual a slight leg-up being a now sitting member

nothing illegal, but just a way a board can exercise some advantage (albeit small) for it's own preference

No not small advantage - just the opposite

• Like 1