• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

New MFC Board Member

Hawk the Demon

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

did the board announce a new board member or a new board candidate (i.e. recommended)?

From the member email from Kate Roffey:

One of the key changes voted in by members was the introduction of Director terms, and as part of our commitment to best governance practice, I take this opportunity to let you all know that John Trotter has stepped down from the Board after 12 years of incredible service to our Club. John has been the long-term head of our Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee and is no doubt a key reason for why the Club is in such a strong financial position now; a club that is debt-free, with a strong balance sheet and a substantial Future Fund. Not only has John worked closely with the Executive team and Board on all financial, risk and integrity matters during his time as a Director, he also ensured the smooth transitioning of the Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee Chair role to Sally Freeman. On behalf of the Club, I would like to thank John for his outstanding contribution and wish him and his family all the best for future endeavours.

With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director. The skills Janette brings to the table will add great value in supporting the Board, our Club CEO Gary Pert and our Executive group and ensuring we continue to thrive on and off the field.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

From the member email from Kate Roffey:

One of the key changes voted in by members was the introduction of Director terms, and as part of our commitment to best governance practice, I take this opportunity to let you all know that John Trotter has stepped down from the Board after 12 years of incredible service to our Club. John has been the long-term head of our Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee and is no doubt a key reason for why the Club is in such a strong financial position now; a club that is debt-free, with a strong balance sheet and a substantial Future Fund. Not only has John worked closely with the Executive team and Board on all financial, risk and integrity matters during his time as a Director, he also ensured the smooth transitioning of the Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee Chair role to Sally Freeman. On behalf of the Club, I would like to thank John for his outstanding contribution and wish him and his family all the best for future endeavours.

With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director. The skills Janette brings to the table will add great value in supporting the Board, our Club CEO Gary Pert and our Executive group and ensuring we continue to thrive on and off the field.

yes, i knew that

so what is  this about a classified in the papers implying an election?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I just typed "Melbourne Football Club" into the Herald Sun Classifieds page and the following came up.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/classifieds/notices/public-notices/nominations-for-election-to-the-melbourne-football-club-ltd-board/6005071/

1172597711_HeraldSunClassifieds.png.1892564a25e6f5e8f2c89cd51201efc1.png

EDIT: Lord Nev has linked to the same thing from the MFC web site

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

is there a connection between the two events?

is the classified just part of some normal annual event where some board members have to stand for re-election?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

did the board announce a new board member or a new board candidate (i.e. recommended)?

Extract below from the President's anouncement yesterday. So we have a new Board member, but having filled a casual vacancy will have to offer herself for election before the next AGM in February 2023.

"With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director."

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

is the classified just part of some normal annual event where some board members have to stand for re-election?

I believe it's 3 year terms, so I'm guessing this will be for whomever is due for their 3 years to be up.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Hawk the Demon said:

Extract below from the President's anouncement yesterday. So we have a new Board member, but having filled a casual vacancy will have to offer herself for election before the next AGM in February 2023.

thanks. i wonder why they couldn't just say that

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

The ad appears every year. Only if there are more nominations than vacancies does an election occur (as has happened in the last two years).

The announcement on Thursday means that Janette Kendall becomes an incumbent director should an election occur.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I believe it's 3 year terms, so I'm guessing this will be for whomever is due for their 3 years to be up.

The Board Credentials Statement on the Club's Governance page suggests that Kate Roffey and David Rennick will be retiring this year and so, together with Janette Kendall, there will be three vacancies this year. Presumably all three are offerring thelselves again and so an election will only occur if another member nominates.

It would be refreshing if the Club advised members directly of this activity other than by way of an ad in the Classifieds and other material on the website which is not very prominent.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yes, i knew that

so what is  this about a classified in the papers implying an election?

There's an AGM every year.  Any year members can nominate for the board.  This is nothing special. Elections are up every time there's an AGM, if not enough candidates nominate then there is no need for an election.  That's no different to any other not for profit organisation.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

an interesting board tactic

a member retires just before an upcoming agm

board appoints their preference as a casual

casual member then stands for re-election as a sitting member versus any new candidates

what i was implying was trotter could have announced he was retiring as of the next agm

by retiring just before and appointing a casual this gives the the casual a slight leg-up being a now sitting member

nothing illegal, but just a way a board can exercise some advantage (albeit small) for it's own preference

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

The Board Credentials Statement on the Club's Governance page suggests that Kate Roffey and David Rennick will be retiring this year and so, together with Janette Kendall, there will be three vacancies this year. Presumably all three are offerring thelselves again and so an election will only occur if another member nominates.

It would be refreshing if the Club advised members directly of this activity other than by way of an ad in the Classifieds and other material on the website which is not very prominent.

According to the constitution that was ratified in October, if a director was made president in their third term on the board they can extend their tenure by two additional terms.  As Kate was elected in her third term, she can serve another two terms.  David Rennick only joined the board in November 2020, so he can nominate for another two terms.  Plus he would only be up for nomination if he joined the board in February at the AGM, but like Brad Green, he filled a vacant position and was formally elected at the AGM in February 2021. 

I daresay there may be other vacancies depending upon the tenures of those on the board.  Steve Morris, for example, joined the board in 2014, and this would be the end of his third term.  I'm not sure when Sally Freedman joined the board.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

casual member then stands for re-election as a sitting member versus any new candidates

Not sure what you're attempting to imply here.  The constitution was changed at the October SGM to state that board members can only serve up to three terms of three years.  John Trotter joined the board in 2011, which brings him beyond that three terms of three.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

I think you have said it all here DC. 

1. True to form the MFC announces a new board member the day before advertising for candidates for the board.

2. Trotter must have given notice some time ago for the MFS to find Ms Kendall.

3. President will send a statement supporting Ms Kendall. President (I think) is up for re-election so might even have a statement about herself

supporting herself.

4. Ms Kendall seems like an excellent choice but is a selected not elected.

5. With a MFC Major Partner being the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation "Love the Game - Not the Odds" and Ms Kendall being a Non Executive Director - Tabcorp   mmm...just saying!

Edited by Cyclops
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 2

1 minute ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

I don't see a problem here.

Happens all the time on Boards and is in accord with the Constitution.

If someone wants to stand when the time comes, they can.

i agree. just an interesting tactic

it just makes it a little bit harder for "outsiders". but that's life, they still have a chance and mfc members get the final say.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

5. With a MFC Major Partner being the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation "Love the Game - Not the Odds" and Ms Kendall being a Non Executive Director - Tabcorp   mmm...just saying!

That's very interesting... from a quick google, it seems like she has quite a lot of experience in the gambling industry (Crown, Galaxy Entertainment).  Her credentials are strong but this does conflict with our responsible gambling stance / divestment from gambling more broadly.

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Typo
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

what i was implying was trotter could have announced he was retiring as of the next agm

by retiring just before and appointing a casual this gives the the casual a slight leg-up being a now sitting member

nothing illegal, but just a way a board can exercise some advantage (albeit small) for it's own preference

A pretty big advantage I would say. You become an incumbent member of the Board and your name is prominent in the Board Credentials Statement. The Election Committee (worth taking a look at the Election Rules on the Club Governance website) is made up of all or some of the other directors who are not running and who have just welcomed you onto the Board.......

• Like 3