Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

New MFC Board Member


Hawk the Demon
 Share


Recommended Posts


2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

did the board announce a new board member or a new board candidate (i.e. recommended)?

From the member email from Kate Roffey:

One of the key changes voted in by members was the introduction of Director terms, and as part of our commitment to best governance practice, I take this opportunity to let you all know that John Trotter has stepped down from the Board after 12 years of incredible service to our Club. John has been the long-term head of our Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee and is no doubt a key reason for why the Club is in such a strong financial position now; a club that is debt-free, with a strong balance sheet and a substantial Future Fund. Not only has John worked closely with the Executive team and Board on all financial, risk and integrity matters during his time as a Director, he also ensured the smooth transitioning of the Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee Chair role to Sally Freeman. On behalf of the Club, I would like to thank John for his outstanding contribution and wish him and his family all the best for future endeavours.

With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director. The skills Janette brings to the table will add great value in supporting the Board, our Club CEO Gary Pert and our Executive group and ensuring we continue to thrive on and off the field.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

From the member email from Kate Roffey:

One of the key changes voted in by members was the introduction of Director terms, and as part of our commitment to best governance practice, I take this opportunity to let you all know that John Trotter has stepped down from the Board after 12 years of incredible service to our Club. John has been the long-term head of our Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee and is no doubt a key reason for why the Club is in such a strong financial position now; a club that is debt-free, with a strong balance sheet and a substantial Future Fund. Not only has John worked closely with the Executive team and Board on all financial, risk and integrity matters during his time as a Director, he also ensured the smooth transitioning of the Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee Chair role to Sally Freeman. On behalf of the Club, I would like to thank John for his outstanding contribution and wish him and his family all the best for future endeavours.

With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director. The skills Janette brings to the table will add great value in supporting the Board, our Club CEO Gary Pert and our Executive group and ensuring we continue to thrive on and off the field.

yes, i knew that

so what is  this about a classified in the papers implying an election?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I just typed "Melbourne Football Club" into the Herald Sun Classifieds page and the following came up.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/classifieds/notices/public-notices/nominations-for-election-to-the-melbourne-football-club-ltd-board/6005071/

1172597711_HeraldSunClassifieds.png.1892564a25e6f5e8f2c89cd51201efc1.png

 

 

EDIT: Lord Nev has linked to the same thing from the MFC web site

Edited by Bigfoot
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

is there a connection between the two events?

is the classified just part of some normal annual event where some board members have to stand for re-election?

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

did the board announce a new board member or a new board candidate (i.e. recommended)?

Extract below from the President's anouncement yesterday. So we have a new Board member, but having filled a casual vacancy will have to offer herself for election before the next AGM in February 2023.

 

"With John’s departure, I am pleased to advise that Janette Kendall, whom many of you will know from her role as part of our Constitution Review Working Group; has joined the Board. Janette has a broad range of experiences in the digital innovation, operations and marketing spaces which were identified as a skills gap area; and is also an experienced ASX Listed Company director."

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

is there a connection between the two events?

is the classified just part of some normal annual event where some board members have to stand for re-election?

I believe it's 3 year terms, so I'm guessing this will be for whomever is due for their 3 years to be up.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hawk the Demon said:

Extract below from the President's anouncement yesterday. So we have a new Board member, but having filled a casual vacancy will have to offer herself for election before the next AGM in February 2023.

thanks. i wonder why they couldn't just say that

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

is there a connection between the two events?

is the classified just part of some normal annual event where some board members have to stand for re-election?

The ad appears every year. Only if there are more nominations than vacancies does an election occur (as has happened in the last two years).

The announcement on Thursday means that Janette Kendall becomes an incumbent director should an election occur.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I believe it's 3 year terms, so I'm guessing this will be for whomever is due for their 3 years to be up.

The Board Credentials Statement on the Club's Governance page suggests that Kate Roffey and David Rennick will be retiring this year and so, together with Janette Kendall, there will be three vacancies this year. Presumably all three are offerring thelselves again and so an election will only occur if another member nominates.

It would be refreshing if the Club advised members directly of this activity other than by way of an ad in the Classifieds and other material on the website which is not very prominent.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yes, i knew that

so what is  this about a classified in the papers implying an election?

There's an AGM every year.  Any year members can nominate for the board.  This is nothing special. Elections are up every time there's an AGM, if not enough candidates nominate then there is no need for an election.  That's no different to any other not for profit organisation.

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

an interesting board tactic

a member retires just before an upcoming agm

board appoints their preference as a casual

casual member then stands for re-election as a sitting member versus any new candidates

what i was implying was trotter could have announced he was retiring as of the next agm

by retiring just before and appointing a casual this gives the the casual a slight leg-up being a now sitting member

nothing illegal, but just a way a board can exercise some advantage (albeit small) for it's own preference

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

The Board Credentials Statement on the Club's Governance page suggests that Kate Roffey and David Rennick will be retiring this year and so, together with Janette Kendall, there will be three vacancies this year. Presumably all three are offerring thelselves again and so an election will only occur if another member nominates.

It would be refreshing if the Club advised members directly of this activity other than by way of an ad in the Classifieds and other material on the website which is not very prominent.

According to the constitution that was ratified in October, if a director was made president in their third term on the board they can extend their tenure by two additional terms.  As Kate was elected in her third term, she can serve another two terms.  David Rennick only joined the board in November 2020, so he can nominate for another two terms.  Plus he would only be up for nomination if he joined the board in February at the AGM, but like Brad Green, he filled a vacant position and was formally elected at the AGM in February 2021. 

I daresay there may be other vacancies depending upon the tenures of those on the board.  Steve Morris, for example, joined the board in 2014, and this would be the end of his third term.  I'm not sure when Sally Freedman joined the board.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

an interesting board tactic

a member retires just before an upcoming agm

board appoints their preference as a casual

casual member then stands for re-election as a sitting member versus any new candidates

Not sure what you're attempting to imply here.  The constitution was changed at the October SGM to state that board members can only serve up to three terms of three years.  John Trotter joined the board in 2011, which brings him beyond that three terms of three.  

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

an interesting board tactic

a member retires just before an upcoming agm

board appoints their preference as a casual

casual member then stands for re-election as a sitting member versus any new candidates

I think you have said it all here DC. 

1. True to form the MFC announces a new board member the day before advertising for candidates for the board.

2. Trotter must have given notice some time ago for the MFS to find Ms Kendall.

3. President will send a statement supporting Ms Kendall. President (I think) is up for re-election so might even have a statement about herself

supporting herself.

4. Ms Kendall seems like an excellent choice but is a selected not elected.

5. With a MFC Major Partner being the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation "Love the Game - Not the Odds" and Ms Kendall being a Non Executive Director - Tabcorp   mmm...just saying!

Edited by Cyclops
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

I don't see a problem here.

Happens all the time on Boards and is in accord with the Constitution.

If someone wants to stand when the time comes, they can.

i agree. just an interesting tactic

it just makes it a little bit harder for "outsiders". but that's life, they still have a chance and mfc members get the final say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

5. With a MFC Major Partner being the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation "Love the Game - Not the Odds" and Ms Kendall being a Non Executive Director - Tabcorp   mmm...just saying!

That's very interesting... from a quick google, it seems like she has quite a lot of experience in the gambling industry (Crown, Galaxy Entertainment).  Her credentials are strong but this does conflict with our responsible gambling stance / divestment from gambling more broadly.

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

what i was implying was trotter could have announced he was retiring as of the next agm

by retiring just before and appointing a casual this gives the the casual a slight leg-up being a now sitting member

nothing illegal, but just a way a board can exercise some advantage (albeit small) for it's own preference

A pretty big advantage I would say. You become an incumbent member of the Board and your name is prominent in the Board Credentials Statement. The Election Committee (worth taking a look at the Election Rules on the Club Governance website) is made up of all or some of the other directors who are not running and who have just welcomed you onto the Board.......

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...