• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

TRAINING: Wednesday 7th December 2022

Rolling Stone

I haven't been down to Goschs but I'm intrigued by Lord Nev's observation as he drove down Punt Road this morning that ... "all the players were out, all the cones etc were setup and there looked to be an electronic scoreboard/screen setup - probably about 3m x 2m as a really rough guess."

Kev Martin's gone on holiday till next year ... is there anyone who can enlighten us about this strange phenomenon?

For that matter, any other news from the Paddock?

CLICK HERE FOR DEESPICABLES TRAINING REPORT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rolling Stone said:

I haven't been down to Goschs but I'm intrigued by Lord Nev's observation as he drove down Punt Road this morning that ... "all the players were out, all the cones etc were setup and there looked to be an electronic scoreboard/screen setup - probably about 3m x 2m as a really rough guess."

Kev Martin's gone on holiday till next year ... is there anyone who can enlighten us about this strange phenomenon?

For that matter, any other news from the Paddock?

They were in the blue squad and red squad jumpers too, so potentially some kind of intraclub today maybe?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

They were in the blue squad and red squad jumpers too, so potentially some kind of intraclub today maybe?

Wow, if correct, we are going in hard right off the bat.

My guess would be the same Nev, red/blue training jumpers and a scoreboard, what else would it be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

FINALLY our upgraded facilities came through! Thank you MFC and thank you Vic govt!

Our new gym is getting a workout, established just behind the scoreboard pavilion. 

Gosch’s surface is pretty good, though it is getting a bit dug up/divots.

A suburban team has been training there in the afternoon regularly, the MFC women just finished, plus the local community use it as an off leash dog area (fully fenced area) or personal training place. I don't mind too much, as it is holding up, except faeces possibly being left for us, and that rubbish is usually on the fence boundary. When visiting I always pick it up and bin it. Latest finds on Monday was, three used flares, numerous water bottles(6) and empty beer cans/bottles (8). They actually left a full one for me, which I gave to my partner.

Addit: I don't think Collingwood, also having a public space field would have similar problems, as the admin and club rooms overlook the ground. Public use would have to be respectful otherwise the members lurking around would be onto them.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 8
  • Shocked 2

Well it was nice to ride the bike down to Gosch's Paddock rather than battle the freeway traffic to Casey and there's always a touch of excitement arriving at the start of the new season with all the new numbers and faces.

I had to dash off to a meeting in town at 10.20am, so others may have a fuller report, but by then a fair bit of the gp action had taken place and they were into their match sim, so I think I had the gist of it.

Firstly I'll knock off the injuries quickly - Angus and Petty were on light running duties - too early in season for me to assess if they are recovering from fun activities in Europe, but clearly both have minor niggles to deal with. Let's wait and see if they are training with the main gp on Monday before we write them off for the season eh. May wasn't there at all. Also absent from the track was Goody, he seemed to leave it to his lieutenants - Reece Conca among them. Chocco was also taking very much a backseat approach as well, preferring to talk to spectators in his floppy hat. Yze, Staff and Matty Whelan were prominent.

The only new injury occurred early when Jed Adams seemed to jar his ankle in one of his first run throughs and after hobbling off for a physio check up he returned and was restricted to just run throughs. Adams is listed as 196cm but he looked almost as tall as Will Verrell and the pair were left to do pretty rudimentary running drills  when I was there - must have been the most boring session they have ever encountered I suspect. They did have Angus with them for a fair bit, so at least he would have brought a bit of humour to lighten their mood.

A quick word on Adams, he is a big boy in the Jake Spencer clumsy mould at the moment - I'd be gobsmacked if he played seniors this year - but he is a big, strong looking boy so who knows down the track. At the other end of the extreme is Jefferson forward who is a light-bodied tall. He seems to be more coordinated than Jed, but it was noticeable that he missed just about every set shot at goal during early goalkicking practice. He was wearing JVR's No.21 as well, presumably he is waiting for his kit to be made with his number.

There are always some players who standout at training and ANB again was everywhere when match sim got going. During the drills it was hard not to notice the skill level of Spargs and Bowey and I also thought it worth mentioning that the kicking of Woey's kid was sensational as well - low, flat, hard and direct. Kicking will not stop Taj from making it this year. His ability to win the ball might.

Once match sim got going, it was a dreadful mistake to make Olly the chameleon (the player allowed to play for both teams). That meant he not only got the ball 20 times for the reds, but he also got it 20 more for the blue tops as well.

But there were a few standouts and the main one was Kozzie who in the highlight play picked the ball up down back, weaved out of trouble, then brushed off a would-be tackler (I think Harmsey) with a don't argue and then proceeded to run for about 30m before sending the ball another 50m deep into JVR territory. Yes if we want a new midfield weapon, then Kozzie is available and I suspect like Trac three years ago, he now has been told that if you are mega fit, then you can join the mids.

Trac and Fritter were also prominent and I also liked the work of Melky, who I know we've all written off, up forwar.

But I'm sorry it's hard not to also watch JVR move - he will be playing first round barring injury and while he is still a bit of a project tall, he now has ripping Schwarter style arms that means he won't look like a kid when we all get to see him against the Dogs at the MCG on Saturday night.

Surprisingly T-Mac was out there training - yes he's a bit overweight but I'm sure his latest diet will sort him out by round 1. Ben Brown also did some light drills, kick/mark stuff, so rumours of his debilitating knee seem to be way off the mark.

And Jake Lever did a lot of work, not just with his mouth. He may well be back to his AA form  this year.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 19
  • Clap 2

12 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Was it a simulation (plenty of resets) or a mini intraclub game with scoring?

Thanks for the report Deespicable.

The coaches hadn't stopped it except for a couple of frees paid so in that sense it was like an intraclub, but there were still cones down the side of ground, so it was corridor stuff, so I think I'd call it match sim to be honest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Well it was nice to ride the bike down to Gosch's Paddock rather than battle the freeway traffic to Casey and there's always a touch of excitement arriving at the start of the new season with all the new numbers and faces.

I had to dash off to a meeting in town at 10.20am, so others may have a fuller report, but by then a fair bit of the gp action had taken place and they were into their match sim, so I think I had the gist of it.

Firstly I'll knock off the injuries quickly - Angus and Petty were on light running duties - too early in season for me to assess if they are recovering from fun activities in Europe, but clearly both have minor niggles to deal with. Let's wait and see if they are training with the main gp on Monday before we write them off for the season eh. May wasn't there at all. Also absent from the track was Goody, he seemed to leave it to his lieutenants - Reece Conca among them. Chocco was also taking very much a backseat approach as well, preferring to talk to spectators in his floppy hat. Yze, Staff and Matty Whelan were prominent.

The only new injury occurred early when Jed Adams seemed to jar his ankle in one of his first run throughs and after hobbling off for a physio check up he returned and was restricted to just run throughs. Adams is listed as 196cm but he looked almost as tall as Will Ferrell and the pair were left to do pretty rudimentary running drills  when I was there - must have been the most boring session they have ever encountered I suspect. They did have Angus with them for a fair bit, so at least he would have brought a bit of humour to lighten their mood.

A quick word on Adams, he is a big boy in the Jake Spencer clumsy mould at the moment - I'd be gobsmacked if he played seniors this year - but he is a big, strong looking boy so who knows down the track. At the other end of the extreme is Jefferson forward who is a light-bodied tall. He seems to be more coordinated than Jed, but it was noticeable that he missed just about every set shot at goal during early goalkicking practice. He was wearing JVR's No.21 as well, presumably he is waiting for his kit to be made with his number.

There are always some players who standout at training and ANB again was everywhere when match sim got going. During the drills it was hard not to notice the skill level of Spargs and Bowey and I also thought it worth mentioning that the kicking of Woey's kid was sensational as well - low, flat, hard and direct. Kicking will not stop Taj from making it this year. His ability to win the ball might.

Once match sim got going, it was a dreadful mistake to make Olly the chameleon (the player allowed to play for both teams). That meant he not only got the ball 20 times for the reds, but he also got it 20 more for the blue tops as well.

But there were a few standouts and the main one was Kozzie who in the highlight play picked the ball up down back, weaved out of trouble, then brushed off a would-be tackler (I think Harmsey) with a don't argue and then proceeded to run for about 30m before sending the ball another 50m deep into JVR territory. Yes if we want a new midfield weapon, then Kozzie is available and I suspect like Trac three years ago, he now has been told that if you are mega fit, then you can join the mids.

Trac and Fritter were also prominent and I also liked the work of Melky, who I know we've all written off, up forwar.

But I'm sorry it's hard not to also watch JVR move - he will be playing first round barring injury and while he is still a bit of a project tall, he now has ripping Schwarter style arms that means he won't look like a kid when we all get to see him against the Dogs at the MCG on Saturday night.

Surprisingly T-Mac was out there training - yes he's a bit overweight but I'm sure his latest diet will sort him out by round 1. Ben Brown also did some light drills, kick/mark stuff, so rumours of his debilitating knee seem to be way off the mark.

And Jake Lever did a lot of work, not just with his mouth. He may well be back to his AA form  this year.

That’s 3 sessions in a row May has been a no show …mmm🤔

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Deespicable said:

The only new injury occurred early when Jed Adams seemed to jar his ankle in one of his first run throughs and after hobbling off for a physio check up he returned and was restricted to just run throughs. Adams is listed as 196cm but he looked almost as tall as Will Verrell and the pair were left to do pretty rudimentary running drills  when I was there - must have been the most boring session they have ever encountered I suspect. They did have Angus with them for a fair bit, so at least he would have brought a bit of humour to lighten their mood.

I think you might need your eyes tested 🤪

Verrell #28 and Adams #26

DSC02397.jpg?width=1904&height=1184

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you to all of the Demonlanders who attend training during the pre-season and relay these reports to us. As an interstate fan in a city that only talks about 2 teams it is very nice to have a resource like this that we can reliably depend on for news about how the boys are travelling.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2