Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Monday 5th December 2022

dazzledavey36

10 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Not entirely unexpected since he’s probably one of the very few draftees not to come out of the NAB League or equivalent systems in other states where the training regimens require a high level of aerobic fitness. By contrast, Sestan played for his school and on some weekends was driven up to Mansfield to play in a local under 18 competition. The standard doesn’t appear to have been too flash and it sounds like he didn’t train much with the country side. 

The flip side is the fact that this is one of the aspects of his game, which the club will most certainly be looking at and working on over the months to come. 

I've learnt over the years not to get to excited over rookie selections. There's a reason why they are not picked in the main draft. While there are occasional diamonds in the rough (such as James McDonald and James Harmes), the strike rate of rookies being successful is not particularly good. However, I would rather a rookie be unfit and skilled rather than the other way around. Fitness takes hard work and time, but if that's all that is missing with a rookie I suspect they have a reasonable prospect of success if they are prepared to do the work that is necessary.

• Like 5

Actually the rookie strike rate is very good with ruckmen Cox, Sandilands, Jamar and Jolly just to name a few.

Oliver Sestan reminds us of an overweight recruit who stormed into the draft by losing weight and gaining fitness becoming the premier midfielder of the MFC.

Christian Petracca was also unfit and a little overweight when recruited and now with multiple pre-seasons has blossomed.

Max Gawn did not become the AFL's premier ruckman by smoking and drinking but hard work.

It now upto Oliver Sestan to prove he is willing to sacrifice his time to get fitter, faster and stronger whilst honing his skills to reach his potential.

For those who watched Russell Richards flashes of brilliance in play, his lack of dedication to training was the reason he did not become a star of the competition.

Edited by durango
  • Like 4
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, BW511 said:

He was also pulled back from schoolies in to start training, no idea he was being drafted.

I’m sure the switch from drinking beers all day to AFL training has been a little harder than he would have liked

I wonder if he had the choice to put the foot down and still go to schoolies? I'm just going to pretend he made the decision to miss it and show commitment to us!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Re Matthew Jefferson, Rob Flower Skinny arms, Twiggy Dunne similar, Jeffo will grow  an AFL Body in time make no mistake, He is a very confident boy, behind the young masque, and he will be determined to make his mark. Re skills set, I have iterated before how he seems to have serious Hang time a la Aaron Naughtin and sticky fingers and if I had to pick any trait it would be these that I would put up as potentially ,"Freakish" He also knows how to lose his opponent and is a very accurate kick for goal. If he grows to his Dad's size ( About 199 cm) he becomes an irresistable and hard to match up on player! Lets back him in!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

53 minutes ago, durango said:

Actually the rookie strike rate is very good with ruckmen Cox, Sandilands, Jamar and Jolly just to name a few.

Oliver Sestan reminds us of an overweight recruit who stormed into the draft by losing weight and gaining fitness becoming the premier midfielder of the MFC.

Christian Petracca was also unfit and a little overweight when recruited and now with multiple pre-seasons has blossomed.

Max Gawn did not become the AFL's premier ruckman by smoking and drinking but hard work.

It now upto Oliver Sestan to prove he is willing to sacrifice his time to get fitter, faster and stronger whilst honing his skills to reach his potential.

For those who watched Russell Richards flashes of brilliance in play, his lack of dedication to training was the reason he did not become a star of the competition.

Yes I'm sure he'll work hard.

Let's pull the breaks but, he could very well be the next Leigh Williams.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Re Matthew Jefferson, Rob Flower Skinny arms, Twiggy Dunne similar, Jeffo will grow  an AFL Body in time make no mistake, He is a very confident boy, behind the young masque, and he will be determined to make his mark. Re skills set, I have iterated before how he seems to have serious Hang time a la Aaron Naughtin and sticky fingers and if I had to pick any trait it would be these that I would put up as potentially ,"Freakish" He also knows how to lose his opponent and is a very accurate kick for goal. If he grows to his Dad's size ( About 199 cm) he becomes an irresistable and hard to match up on player! Lets back him in!

Matthew will fillout in time but don't expect a 2023 debut unless we have a disastrous run of injuries, development of young bodies with the help of the fitness staff and diet his 84Kg body will become a 94-98Kg body in a year, so maybe he will be ready in 2024.

I believe his selection was more long term since JVR is already on his journey to AFL football and there is no rush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When talking about Sestan’s fitness it should be fair to note that he is not coming from an elite pathway program where the fitness base is already there. Also just because he came last in a 2km time trial against other draftees from pathway programs and AFL footballers who are on off season programs doesn’t mean he is “unfit”. It just means he doesn’t have the AFL base that is expected at this time of the year for players or elite draftees. It also does not mean that he cannot achieve this now that he will be given a fitness program to follow. 

Considering that training with an elite AFL club was probably not on his radar I think he can be cut some slack. 

• Like 22
  • Clap 3

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yes I'm sure he'll work hard.

Let's pull the breaks but, he could very well be the next Leigh Williams.

Leigh had a very bright future but had bad luck to get very sick, his story was no different to Luke Molan and lots of others who had potential but injury or illness wrecked their football career.

I always look on young players and hope for the best and never wish them any bad luck in their AFL journey, I know from being at the MFC for 10 years and watching young players develop that sometimes they just not good enough to make it at the highest level but there are others who thru sheer persistance make an name for themselves examples are Michael Tuck and Berto "Robert" DiPierdomenico who both played more than 50 games in the reserves.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Demonland said:

When talking about Sestan’s fitness it should be fair to note that he is not coming from an elite pathway program where the fitness base is already there. Also just because he came last in a 2km time trial against other draftees from pathway programs and AFL footballers who are on off season programs doesn’t mean he is “unfit”. It just means he doesn’t have the AFL base that is expected at this time of the year for players or elite draftees. It also does not mean that he cannot achieve this now that he will be given a fitness program to follow. 

Considering that training with an elite AFL club was probably not on his radar I think he can be cut some slack. 

Having seen him up close he has the big glutes and quads like Petracca had and to some extent still has. But he is built a bit lower to the ground and I'm reminded of 2 others with that look; Jason Akermanis and Gary Ablett Jnr both of whom were very hard to bring down and very dangerous around goals. Fitness we can fix.

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

55 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Yep, it is only a time thing in the main; he will be fit and hardened by the start of the season 2023. He will be programmed for a role and will be a big improver, down at Casey alongside the integration of his skillset. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dworship said:

Having seen him up close he has the big glutes and quads like Petracca had and to some extent still has. But he is built a bit lower to the ground and I'm reminded of 2 others with that look; Jason Akermanis and Gary Ablett Jnr both of whom were very hard to bring down and very dangerous around goals. Fitness we can fix.

Could even go as far as saying that he has similarities with the very great Leigh Matthews!

• Like 3

You gotta love the pre-season. The only time of year an unknown recruit playing school and country footy becomes a Gary Ablett Jnr/Leigh Matthews clone in a matter of two or three posts. 
Thank you to Kev and all the posters for your brilliant training reports they are so appreciated! 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

Agree dj thanks Kev and all posters this is the time of year when we can see the potential in all our draftee’s and hope that they all succeed whilst knowing just how hard it is going to be for each and everyone of them to reach the pinnacle. Love the training reports please keep up the great work.!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

You gotta love the pre-season. The only time of year an unknown recruit playing school and country footy becomes a Gary Ablett Jnr/Leigh Matthews clone in a matter of two or three posts. 
Thank you to Kev and all the posters for your brilliant training reports they are so appreciated! 

marshall-county-co-op-blog-wonderful-tim

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, poita said:

He is the sort of guy who should have been made to earn a new contract as a train on player, rather than being gifted a 2 year deal based on hopes and dreams.

Meaning: show you can get through a couple of months of training without breaking down again, and you can have a spot on our list.

Is Smith on the list better then say Turner who is the train on player, keeping in mind we are in the win now mode???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Spare a thought for this kid for a minute. One week up at schoolies the very next without any prior warning running around against the most elite athletes in the country and having no fitness base to be able to keep up. I know the feeling of trying to keep up with fit athletes when you're not. It's excruciating. It's going to be a tough summer for him catching up. They'll really have to nurse him psychologically as well as physically. It would break many young men. Wouldn't surprise me to hear that he's got a different fitness training to the main group until at least after the Christmas break. 

Edited by Its Time for Another
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Remember you heard it here 1st!

To be fair, I was comparing body shapes and heights to those greats. Time will tell if Seston has the ability and application to make it.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

Is Smith on the list better then say Turner who is the train on player, keeping in mind we are in the win now mode???

I think Daniel Turner's skills are improving and his body is developing, 

J. Smith has had his development restricted, due to having large blocks of injury.

Deakin Smith looks like he will remain in Casey team this season, not training with the main group, appears the same for Moniz-wakefield. Their training schedule could also be, the need for a modified program, or they have turned up not in a very fit condition. 

D. Turner would have to be ahead given his youth and potential. 

As for Kye Turner, unknown quality, so difficult to compare.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Is his dad 199 cms? Did he play footy at a high level?

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Who is Leigh Williams?

Rookie player going back 10 years now.  Dominated the EFL as a key forward kicking 80 odd goals.  He contracted viral encephalitis and was hospitalised for 2 weeks during the early stages of the season.  

You can read more about it here if you wish.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/77853/williams-lucky-to-be-alive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, deejammin' said:

I'd doubt the 'clone' intent  of any poster in this matter, to date. Similarities only are surmised. Breadth of footy experience and observation enable one to discern certain characteristics seen within and across the generations, including player generations, and that is all that is recalled - no absolute 'dead cert' intonations. Golly, it is as if having an opinion, large, small and in this case, minute, is once again DL criticised. It must be time, therefore, to stop finding linkages - no matter how remote - to player attributes seen so far before and since recruitment, and the ultimate questions:  wonder why this guy or that guy was selected? Are these good attributes? What experiences have we had in the footballing past to see certain recurrent attributes, by whom? 

• Like 2