Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Death Riding Fremantle 2023 - Feathered Cap Edition

adonski

3 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Fingers crossed Hawthorn turn their 3 picks into Gysberts, Morton and Blease types. Heck, throw in a 4th and hope they get a Strauss in there too.  That would bring me a lot of happiness. 

Perfectly happy for Hawthorn to pick up this generation's Ellis, Dowler, and Thorpe with their next 3 top-ten selections.

I like this coming draft, without pretending to know a whole lot about it. What is clear is that there's a good collection of suitable players who could all be considered great value late in the top ten.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agreed + guys like Gus and Gawny, who stood up when it counted in the first half of the third quarter and stopped the dogs ascendancy from becoming an avalanche.

Fritta held his nerve so well under pressure and got us back in the game when we were peering over the precipice.

The difference and mismatch Jackson created threw the dogs midfield off their structures and Jackson's ability to keep moving from the ruck contest and involve himself in those chains was pretty slick, but Clarry, Viney and in particular Trac were absolute beasts in that third quarter. 

That dribble goal of Trac's that set the bang bang bang in motion was amazing and his bursts from the centre square on several occations setup so many of those goals.  There's a very good reason he won the Norm Smith.

All good points but I was at the game and he was so influential late in the third. I remember texting my brother at the break and I just said ‘Dogga’. Massive influence on the result. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

While this Reid kid sounds like a gun, it's not the first time a player has been considered a generational talent who will go pick 1 that would be worth selling the house for.  In hindsight, if you have a good system (development, culture etc), it seems like 3 picks in the top 25 would be a more reliable bet - you could end up with the best player in the draft still and you may end up with 2-3 top 10 players in your team.

E.g. here's a list of recent no.1 picks - there's hardly any that would now be considered the best of their draft.

2006 Bryce Gibbs Carlton Glenelg SANFL
2007 Matthew Kreuzer Carlton Northern Knights TAC Cup
2008 Jack Watts Melbourne Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2009 Tom Scully Melbourne Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2010 David Swallow Gold Coast East Fremantle Football Club WAFL
2011 Jonathon Patton Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2012 Lachie Whitfield Greater Western Sydney Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2013 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2014 Paddy McCartin St Kilda Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2015 Jacob Weitering Carlton Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2016 Andrew McGrath Essendon Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2017 Cameron Rayner Brisbane Lions Western Jets TAC Cup
2018 Sam Walsh Carlton Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2019 Matthew Rowell Gold Coast Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2020 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Western Bulldogs Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2021 Jason Horne-Francis North Melbourne South Adelaide SANFL

I wouldn't put all the eggs in the No.1 pick baskets.  Not that I know of this kid that has become hot property.  Isn't this draft supposed to be a super draft with talent running deep, I prefer us to work up to 2/3 top 10/12 picks like we did the year we got Kossie and Jackson. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Phil C said:

All good points but I was at the game and he was so influential late in the third. I remember texting my brother at the break and I just said ‘Dogga’. Massive influence on the result. 

I don't disagree with that either.  He was a massive influence in so far as he did play an integral part in our midfield/centre square team that tore apart the Dog's in the second half of the third.  However for mine, his contribution has become somewhat over hyped in the context of the whole game and the very worthy contributions of others to the game.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

The top 10 will be really strong this year. I'd much rather two inside 10 than pick 1 itself.

Harley Reid will be a gun, but he's in the mould of Petracca/Dusty etc and we need more balance across the list.

I'd rather us get two inside 10 and one inside 20 this year as it'll only add time to our premiership window.

Jackson leaving will be a blessing in disguise and Freo's start to the season is just what we need. If we can manage a top 8 pick from them, we'll be laughing. Add our first and second rounder plus their second rounder and we have an unbelievable hand to play with. Gold Coast have academy players this year so will need picks and I can't see them making the top eight this year. The best thing about it is that our guys can start talks early with other clubs as we'll know roughly what picks we'll be playing with.

We're in prime position for another draft haul at a time where we're considered one of if not the flag favourite. 

What is life!?

What a far cry from the Neeld days!

• Like 14

5 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

The top 10 will be really strong this year. I'd much rather two inside 10 than pick 1 itself.

Harley Reid will be a gun, but he's in the mould of Petracca/Dusty etc and we need more balance across the list.

I'd rather us get two inside 10 and one inside 20 this year as it'll only add time to our premiership window.

Jackson leaving will be a blessing in disguise and Freo's start to the season is just what we need. If we can manage a top 8 pick from them, we'll be laughing. Add our first and second rounder plus their second rounder and we have an unbelievable hand to play with. Gold Coast have academy players this year so will need picks and I can't see them making the top eight this year. The best thing about it is that our guys can start talks early with other clubs as we'll know roughly what picks we'll be playing with.

We're in prime position for another draft haul at a time where we're considered one of if not the flag favourite. 

What is life!?

Agree with this Jimmy. We could get a Petracca or we could get a Jaegar O'Meara who was also highly touted and then had crook knees and I don't reckon ever lived up to the hype in his draft year. If it's a strong draft, we're better off with three highly capable top 20 players than the single No. 1 pick. In Jason Taylor we trust.....he's spun gold with picks in the 20+ range, imagine how much better off we'll be with three picks inside 20?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Agree with this Jimmy. We could get a Petracca or we could get a Jaegar O'Meara who was also highly touted and then had crook knees and I don't reckon ever lived up to the hype in his draft year. If it's a strong draft, we're better off with three highly capable top 20 players than the single No. 1 pick. In Jason Taylor we trust.....he's spun gold with picks in the 20+ range, imagine how much better off we'll be with three picks inside 20?

Exactly, it's all about maximising value in the draft. Would rather 3 potential B+ players that will be a good fit over a highly touted potential A+ that will have the world watching him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Exactly, it's all about maximising value in the draft. Would rather 3 potential B+ players that will be a good fit over a highly touted potential A+ that will have the world watching him. 

It's an interesting challenge for a team challenging and with a good squad like we have.

We want to make sure there are enough younger kids coming through to balance the profile. So really, one to two recruits who push into the 22 each year is the return we want.

So in some ways loading up on a top pick is a good strategy for a team like us, provided the recruit will fill a current list gap or pending retirement.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, deanox said:

It's an interesting challenge for a team challenging and with a good squad like we have.

We want to make sure there are enough younger kids coming through to balance the profile. So really, one to two recruits who push into the 22 each year is the return we want.

So in some ways loading up on a top pick is a good strategy for a team like us, provided the recruit will fill a current list gap or pending retirement.

I mean on the other hand, it is the perfect environment for a no.1 pick to come into and thrive rather than being the messiah. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

What is life!?

Big call to be trading down from #1 if Harley Reid is on a Petracca/Dusty level. While we can dream, I doubt Freo will be that bad. 

The other thing to think about is where Kynan Brown falls on the draft board? If he has a great year and rises in the pecking order, we will be forced to concentrate our draft capital/taking one of the top players, trading our pick out for an established player or pushing picks into 2024.

Some folks need to look at the GF 3rd qtr again.  Jackson was directly involved in at least 5 of the 7 goals in its last 10 minutes. 

I would go out on a limb and say we would not have had that 3rd qtr run on without him.  Sure the run on would not have happened without the mids but Jackson not only did the CB ruck work giving them first use of the ball he also ran with his midfielders to link up play creating goals for them.

Would we have won without him?  Maybe but it would have been a hard slog to come from 3-5 goals down at 3/4 time.  As it was we sailed home.

Our run on broke the Bulldogs. 

We gave Jackson the opportunity to play and develop with us and in that 3rd quarter he paid us back in spades. 

He doesn't deserve the rubbish said about him in this thread.  That is best kept for Freo and Bell; the real protagonists in this.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:21 AM, deelusions from afar said:

While this Reid kid sounds like a gun, it's not the first time a player has been considered a generational talent who will go pick 1 that would be worth selling the house for.  In hindsight, if you have a good system (development, culture etc), it seems like 3 picks in the top 25 would be a more reliable bet - you could end up with the best player in the draft still and you may end up with 2-3 top 10 players in your team.

E.g. here's a list of recent no.1 picks - there's hardly any that would now be considered the best of their draft.

True, but on a case-by-case, year-by-year basis rather than hindsight, otherwise no team would want a no 1 pick ever again

11 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

True, but on a case-by-case, year-by-year basis rather than hindsight, otherwise no team would want a no 1 pick ever again

I guess drafting 18 year olds is an inexact science with so many variables - I think it's better to have a few irons in the fire rather than loading up on one (unless Taylor and co are 120% sure).  It's not that I (or anyone else) wouldn't want the no.1 draft pick, it's more that if given the option, I'd prefer:

Freo Pick 1: 5-12 

+

Our pick 1: 12-18

+

Freo Pick 2: 23-30

Particuarly in what is reportedly a super draft year.  Think of Port Adelaide in 2018 got Rozee (pick 5), Butters (pick 12) and Duursma (pick 18) or even our effort in 2019 with Jacko, Kozzie and Riv - nail the picks and it could get us the x factor to win a flag or set us up for life after Trac and Clarrie (which is still 7 or so years away!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Some folks need to look at the GF 3rd qtr again.  Jackson was directly involved in at least 5 of the 7 goals in its last 10 minutes. 

I would go out on a limb and say we would not have had that 3rd qtr run on without him.  Sure the run on would not have happened without the mids but Jackson not only did the CB ruck work giving them first use of the ball he also ran with his midfielders to link up play creating goals for them.

Would we have won without him?  Maybe but it would have been a hard slog to come from 3-5 goals down at 3/4 time.  As it was we sailed home.

We gave Jackson the opportunity to play and develop with us and in that 3rd quarter he paid us back in spades. 

He doesn't deserve the rubbish said about him in this thread.  That is best kept for Freo and Bell; the real protagonists in this.

Well said Luci.. The evidence is all there

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 8:49 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

It looks like Freo will be out in the market looking for a KPF at the end of the season. Do they even have any assets/capital to trade for a decent full forward??? 🤔🤔

What if they target Naughton ? What would the WB demand?

If only they'd kept their pick 5 way back when they could've had Ben King and we never get May who probably goes to the Pies as a FA the following year. No idea what happens to Hogan probably still ends up at GWS.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:21 AM, deelusions from afar said:

True but those number 1 picks generally go into rubbish teams where they're expected to drive the resurgence from day dot. If the reigning premier gets a pick 1 it could be a different story. Look at Ashcroft or Daicos as better examples (althiugh not pick 1).

7 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I would not rubbish Jackson ..he is a Premiership player & should rightly hold a specific place in our red & blue hearts. But he quite simply went for the $ & with that comes extremely high expectations. Don’t forget he served his apprenticeship under arguably one of the best modern day ruckman & also one of the most selfless. At his feet were one of the most talented modern day midfields. Will he reach his potential now ..who knows..would I boo him ..never.. do I want him to do well ..no !

• Like 3