Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

2022 AFL NATIONAL ROOKIE DRAFT


Deestiny Awaits
 Share


Recommended Posts

Not sure how many rookie spots we have open and not sure wether he has nominated or not, but I think we should really consider picking up Corey Ellison from the Casey Demons as a rookie prospect. He is a true swingman that can add some key position depth I think we need. He played mainly defence this year and did a pretty good job as a key defender but I also vividly remember him being swung forward for a couple of games and kicking multiple goals and taking some strong marks. I think it's likely, or at least a strong possibility, that we draft a tall early in the national draft but they will likely need some time to develop. Ellison has a bigger body and I think would contribute if he got a chance at either end of the field.

Thoughts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Ellison nominated for the National Draft a few years ago and wasn't picked. Therefore, we or any club could have signed him at any time and can do so after this Draft as part of the spp. 

He was in this year's mid-season draft but not picked up. 

I hope he gets picked up by someone as he had a very good year.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


There’s been a fair amount of discussion about the club’s need for a spare ruckman in the event of injury to one or both of our ruck superstars. It’s unlikely that we’re going to find one among the young draftees because they’re scarce on the ground and others are primed to swoop on the best of them (Barnett). However, it would appear that either the Rookie Draft or the Supplemental Selection Period would be the best place to find a mature age ruckman to fit the bill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There’s been a fair amount of discussion about the club’s need for a spare ruckman in the event of injury to one or both of our ruck superstars. It’s unlikely that we’re going to find one among the young draftees because they’re scarce on the ground and others are primed to swoop on the best of them (Barnett). However, it would appear that either the Rookie Draft or the Supplemental Selection Period would be the best place to find a mature age ruckman to fit the bill.

Wait till the dust settles and get some train on players over summer and rookie someone then perhaps

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to 2022 AFL National Rookie Draft

We picked up Schache whom is 199 cms tall He can play tall forward , tall back, or as a ruck-man.We picked up a tall Forward in Jefferson and a tall back in Jed Adams , so we have been able to cement our list.A mid size defender to cover future retirement of Hibberd, I think would be shrewd .A player like Sam Gilbey would be ideal.Or Jason Gilbee would be ideal as a rookie selection.A mature ruck as a secondary rookie would also go down well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jayceebee31 said:

We picked up Schache whom is 199 cms tall He can play tall forward , tall back, or as a ruck-man.We picked up a tall Forward in Jefferson and a tall back in Jed Adams , so we have been able to cement our list.A mid size defender to cover future retirement of Hibberd, I think would be shrewd .A player like Sam Gilbey would be ideal.Or Jason Gilbee would be ideal as a rookie selection.A mature ruck as a secondary rookie would also go down well.

Agree @jayceebee31, a general defender with composure would cap off a good draft period. I like Gilbey as well, Luke Teal Is another I'd be keen on.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to choose a rookie , I’d definitely try to recruit Jonti Schuback from Gippsland Power.  He showed in the national championships that he can use his pace and skill and footy smarts as well as any of the young mids.  Schuback can run and deliver, using either right or left foot skills.  I’m amazed he wasn’t drafted.
He would fit into our midfield depth and develop.   

Others who could be on the list   

Mids

Nick Sadler SA Sturt 

Mitchell Szybkowski Vic-Stingrays 

Adam D’Aloia SA Woodvill West Torrens 

Ruck

Will Verrell SA Sth Adelaide 

Forwards 

Jaiden Magor SA Sth Adelaide 

Defender 

Sam Gilbey WA  Claremont 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2022 Draft Prospects Jonti Schuback
Teams Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Position Defender
Date of Birth 18/03/2004
Height 183cm
Weight 75kg

A medium defender with composure, elite decision-making and precise kicking to set up the play from midfield or defence. He had a consistent 2022 season, averaging 20 disposals (77 per cent efficiency) across 13 matches for the Gippsland Power, with his speed being a feature of his play. While not father-son eligible, he is the son of Jacob Schuback, who was selected by Adelaide in the 2001 Draft and played seven games for the Crows. Tested very well at the State Draft Combine in Victoria, with his 2.98 seconds for the 20m sprint, 8.3 seconds on the agility test and 6:39 seconds for the 2km time trial all strong performances.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to 2022 AFL NATIONAL ROOKIE DRAFT

With our first pick I'd be keen on Luke Teal or Jason Gilbee.

Second pick I'd love to see us take a punt on Archie Lovelock.

Third pick the mature age Josh Walker I think would be worth a go as I don't suspect Jefferson or Adams will be ready for a senior call up anytime soon.

Luke Teal: 

 

Jason Gilbee: 

 

Archie Lovelock: 

 

Josh Walker: 

 

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

With our first pick I'd be keen on Luke Teal or Jason Gilbee.

Second pick I'd love to see us take a punt on Archie Lovelock.

Third pick the mature age Josh Walker I think would be worth a go as I don't suspect Jefferson or Adams will be ready for a senior call up anytime soon.

Luke Teal: 

 

Jason Gilbee: 

 

Archie Lovelock: 

 

Josh Walker: 

 

How many mature talls do we need?

We have McDonald, Brown, Schache, Tomlinson, Turner, Petty, May as a starting point.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How many mature talls do we need?

We have McDonald, Brown, Schache, Tomlinson, Turner, Petty, May as a starting point.

 

Well we lost Mitch Brown, Daw and Weideman from last session and so far replaced them with Grundy and Schache plus two kids who aren't ready to play.

Throw in the fact there's major question marks over both Ben Brown and McDonald's bodies, I'd say one more mature tall doesn't hurt.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Well we lost Mitch Brown, Daw and Weideman from last session and so far replaced them with Grundy and Schache plus two kids who aren't ready to play.

Throw in the fact there's major question marks over both Ben Brown and McDonald's bodies, I'd say one more mature tall doesn't hurt.

We need a running half back/lockdown defender. Hibberd is on his last legs and we'll need a replacement for him because we don't have his sort coming through.

Our talls are fine. I even forgot Joel Smith as well. But the likes of Turner and JVR are now ready to step into senior footy from a physical point of view.

There is also a fair chance we'll grab a developing ruck potentially in the rookie draft.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We need a running half back/lockdown defender. Hibberd is on his last legs and we'll need a replacement for him because we don't have his sort coming through.

Our talls are fine. I even forgot Joel Smith as well. But the likes of Turner and JVR are now ready to step into senior footy from a physical point of view.

There is also a fair chance we'll grab a developing ruck potentially in the rookie draft.

I agree with your opening point, which is why I said with our 1st pick we should target Teal or Gilbee.

Talls numbers wise are fine, but broadly speaking has its issues which is why I think Walker is a good temporary option. 

T. Mc and B Brown could well have used up all their petrol tickets, Grundy has struggled to get on the park the last 2 years while May and Gawn are now both over 30 where injuries can start to mount up.

I agree Van Rooyen is ready for more responsibility, however whether Turner will make it is still an unknown and I don't know how much confidence I have in someone like Schache.

Walker can play at either end and in the ruck. And at the very least for the cost of a 3rd Round Rookie pick he provides some protection to the likes of Farris-White, Jefferson and Adams at Casey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Will Verrall?

An article linked us to him earlier and we're allegedly keen on a young ruck so wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him assuming he's available.

Also on board with @Pennant St Dee and hope we look at Sam Gilbey as a medium defender.

Not a real need for us but I really like Blake Drury as well while Jonti Shuback might add more depth to our wings if we go down that path.

 

 

Edited by Nascent
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, Lucifers Hero said:

I'm pretty sure Ellison nominated for the National Draft a few years ago and wasn't picked. Therefore, we or any club could have signed him at any time and can do so after this Draft as part of the spp. 

He was in this year's mid-season draft but not picked up. 

I hope he gets picked up by someone as he had a very good year.

Interesting... worth keeping. Some players don't get the high-fives they deserve. Last season tested him out - he passed with good colours, making an early name for himself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

If I had to choose a rookie , I’d definitely try to recruit Jonti Schuback from Gippsland Power.  He showed in the national championships that he can use his pace and skill and footy smarts as well as any of the young mids.  Schuback can run and deliver, using either right or left foot skills.  I’m amazed he wasn’t drafted.
He would fit into our midfield depth and develop.   

Others who could be on the list   

Mids

Nick Sadler SA Sturt 

Mitchell Szybkowski Vic-Stingrays 

Adam D’Aloia SA Woodvill West Torrens 

Ruck

Will Verrell SA Sth Adelaide 

Forwards 

Jaiden Magor SA Sth Adelaide 

Defender 

Sam Gilbey WA  Claremont 

Have a feeling Magor is a JT type! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Really surprised Blake Drury was overlooked.

He's a good little player, I guess clubs would be in a quandary about where to play him - too small to play midfield and not enough tricks up forward maybe.  Should get taken today but that's his problem, clubs looking more for players they can see actually having a functional team role.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Wednesday 1st February 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT REHAB  Clarry, Max, Farris-White, Melky, Matt Jefferson, Jakey Lever, Joel Smith & 1 Other I couldn't place. Glad to see the Club being ultra cautious with Clarry's thumb BUT the fact he is still troubled with it is worrying (God I hate Selwood) Got there at 10.50 to see Full match Simulation Game between the Blues and the Whites. Quite clearly the Blues were the A Team and the Whites were the possibles. Some interesting faces in the white Team h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...