Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Early 2023 Season Preview of Dees

Demonland

2 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

TBH I take what Gerard Healy says about Melbourne with a grain of salt.  We all know how much he hates the club, and has done since he left for the Swans!

Nothing new or insightful or original from Johnno.

Dissappointing. But  got them a few clicks.

Analysis by and large is so superficial by alledged experts.

We looked off even in the 10 game streak  watching all homes games live. Winning on 20 minutes of brilliance. 

I have more confidence in the club for 2023 than I ever have had going into a new season since ......forever.

No oppo team worries me that they can't be beaten by our list.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

51 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I agree SWYL, personally I've thought he is often pro-Melbourne when commentating or 'On the Couch'...could just be me though 

I think he was genuinely stoked we won the flag in ‘21 and i am sure he and Greg are both part of the WhatsApp group 

• Like 2

I personally wouldn't be going hard on a player that's kicked 114.46 over the last 2 years and worked hard on rectifying his accuracy issues. He also did the best he could in our disappointing  finals campaign kicking 5 goals

I'd be levelling criticism at another forward at the club who kicked a total of 2 goals and average 2 marks a game over a 4 week period which included those losses to Freo, Sydney and Collingwood. He also kicked 1 goal in total in the finals.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I absolutely agree with you on this, Ollie.  I've never had the perception of Fritta ever being selfish, and I do think the media criticism of him hurt his confidence in that respect.  It's a big reason why players need to listen less to the media and more to their coaches. He has not been the issue.  I do think a bigger aspect this year has been the absence of TMac, and the leadership he provided - the forward line missed that once he was injured.  We need him fit and raring to go next year.  

Agree that TMac was very much missed.  Fingers crossed that he will be fit to go but I would also like to see a ‘fit to play’ BBB and perhaps a fired up and raring to go JVR as well in the mix.

Not to mention getting a better connectivity with and delivery from the mids. The recruiting of Lachie Hunter I feel may be a important inclusion that helps address this issue. Fingers crossed 

• Like 2

From listening to Gerard Healy on my drive home from work since 2011, he has been nothing but supportive, encouraging and enthusiastic about the MFC and loves Nathan Jones.

He predicted big things of the clubs since 2017ish - way more than other analysts.

My only criticism of Healy is that he makes way too many gaffes on air - eg - referring to the wrong player, wrong club etc...

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

a kind of pointless review, call fritta out for not kicking it, and call him out for not passing to someone in a better position. he is a forward and one of our best kicks for goal. i wonder how many times peter hudson, or Lockett passed the ball to players in a slightly better position when they knew they were in range. Fritta was one of the success stories of the year, not a reason we lost.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

a kind of pointless review, call fritta out for not kicking it, and call him out for not passing to someone in a better position. he is a forward and one of our best kicks for goal. i wonder how many times peter hudson, or Lockett passed the ball to players in a slightly better position when they knew they were in range. Fritta was one of the success stories of the year, not a reason we lost.

Yes but he twice at least "burnt" players that looked bad and selfish. Surely any player should be balanced enough to recognise team play.
Kossie can sometimes be a bit goal happy near goals when on angles and not always look to centre the ball or look in that direction. Gets away with it as he can get tight goals others seem to miss though. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, durango said:

Gerard Healy left the MFC not because of money but when Tom Hafey made a convincing story that the Swans were closer to a premiership than the MFC he left since he played in an era of 1979-1985 were success on the field was few far between.

He was absolutely red hot in the last season with the Demons - virtually untouchable and a fabulous avenue to goal. I thought that his loss was a complete catastrophe and wonder what he - and his teammates - might otherwise have achieved. I thought that he did not perform at quite the same level with the Swans as he had previously with the Demons but remained one of those forward line enigmas who had hit their straps. We, as supporters, generally lost faith in him for such disloyalty to those who had blended to make him such a great Demon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

He was absolutely red hot in the last season with the Demons - virtually untouchable and a fabulous avenue to goal. I thought that his loss was a complete catastrophe and wonder what he - and his teammates - might otherwise have achieved. I thought that he did not perform at quite the same level with the Swans as he had previously with the Demons but remained one of those forward line enigmas who had hit their straps. We, as supporters, generally lost faith in him for such disloyalty to those who had blended to make him such a great Demon.

He played a different position with the Swans and won a Brownlow 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BDA said:

Brad Johnson is a great bloke but he offers very little in the way of insightful analysis. Of the many problems we had to deal with last year Fritta was well down the list

99 problems, but fritta aint one...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, tiers said:

Fritta's role is to kick goals. I believe that his eyes and mind are always on a goal kicking opportunity.

That he once ignored Tracc in a better position is not a failure. He was just doing his job.

It falls to his team mates to support him in this role by shepherding, leading oppos away, loud voices etc.

Six goals in a premiership buys a lot of indulgence..

That one incident got so over exacerbated it's not funny.  I think it was more just a case of lack of awareness of the player bearing down on him than him actually torching Trac.  Fritta was in an easy goal scoring opportunity himself and 99 time out 100 he kicks that goal. 

In another scenario that plays out he hand passes to Trac who fumbles and then we'd have the same comentators accusing us of lairising and claiming Fritta should have taken the shot.

It was at a point of the season where we were just going off the boil and alot of comentators were loving the oppertunity to have a chip at the side for whatever reason.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, BDA said:

Brad Johnson is a great bloke but he offers very little in the way of insightful analysis. Of the many problems we had to deal with last year Fritta was well down the list

Agree BDA 

The review was shallow and about 3 mins at most highlighting Fritta and his selfishness or similar depending upon your view.

Not ONE mention of Grundy Hunter Schache or JVR or our injury handling or effect late in the year or Tmac returning.Useless babble from Johnno and nothing salient from Healey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The criticism of Fritta reached fever pitch in the media and I think a few of those experts needed to pull their head in, it was relentless and childish some of the comments being made.

However the internal criticism at the time was not totally unfair. That patch through the middle of the season he wasn't seeing anyone in that forward 50. Yes his job is to kick goals, be goal hungry and confident, sometimes at the expense of a slightly better option, but not when a teammate is in literal acres of space in a better position. There's been comments in here that his teammates need to do the team things and shepherd for him etc. Well they were doing the team things by leading into space and creating options. It is still a team sport at the end of the day and our team won a flag playing team first football, if Fritta is given the license to shoot at every opportunity would you as a teammate keep running to space to make options if you knew the ball was never coming your way?

Fritta needs to play on instinct and in a 50-50 situation just shoot for goal but if there is a wide open option available he's gotta take it. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, layzie said:

The criticism of Fritta reached fever pitch in the media and I think a few of those experts needed to pull their head in, it was relentless and childish some of the comments being made.

However the internal criticism at the time was not totally unfair. That patch through the middle of the season he wasn't seeing anyone in that forward 50. Yes his job is to kick goals, be goal hungry and confident, sometimes at the expense of a slightly better option, but not when a teammate is in literal acres of space in a better position. There's been comments in here that his teammates need to do the team things and shepherd for him etc. Well they were doing the team things by leading into space and creating options. It is still a team sport at the end of the day and our team won a flag playing team first football, if Fritta is given the license to shoot at every opportunity would you as a teammate keep running to space to make options if you knew the ball was never coming your way?

Fritta needs to play on instinct and in a 50-50 situation just shoot for goal but if there is a wide open option available he's gotta take it. 

Very fair summary but still believe Fritta is totally underrated  by many other Clubs fans. He is an A grader IMO and his footy skills are amazing. Look forward to 2023 and him hopefully playing up firward with JVR Tmac BBB Jefferson Kossie and the rest of the gang including Harry Petty! 

• Like 2

Fritta is unlucky not to have picked up an AA jacket the past 2 years. I agree with @layzie that the criticism of him during the year was not totally unwarranted but for some reason the media latched onto it and turned into something much bigger than it actually was

Reckon he'll kick 60 this year and get that AA jacket he deserves. and hopefully another premiership medallion to go along with it

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:12 PM, Ollie fan said:

I don’t like the implied criticism of Fritta. I thought it was unfair right through the season. He is there to kick goals, not to give them away. In fact, I think the murmur of criticism of him for being selfish got to him and he ended up giving away some critical opportunities to try and be unselfish which cost us a game or two. Sooner or later, someone has to take the shot – so often, with other players we would see the ball being handpassed around and around looking for the perfect opportunity; Fritta is there to take the opportunity and kick the goal.

2021 was team first football.

2022 was not.

Bayley was part of that

Problem with your argument is twofold. If he doesn't kick the goal we lose. If he burns team mates they stop running to make position and they stop kicking to  him if he is in a better position. We lose

We are a better team when we play team first. Simples.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 3

Completely disagree. Teammates will keep kicking it to him because he is quite obviously intended to be the goalkicker. Yes, in the very famous incident where he didn’t pass to Petracca, he missed the goal. If he didn’t miss the goal, no one would’ve complained. Nine or more times out of 10, he gets that goal. The number of times we played ringaringarosie with handpasses because people would not take a shot, and ultimately the ball would be killed and cleared, was ridiculous. Fritsch is there to kick goals and should never be criticised for attempting to do so. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:50 PM, loges said:

He played a different position with the Swans and won a Brownlow 

That is the Brownlow he should have won whilst a Demon, yet somehow was overlooked and his incredible merits were for some reason 'ignored' as Brownlow items. ( ie: nothing has changed. Think Clarrie and Tulip). He often played a different position, and in reality took on more responsibilities as a ball-magnet utility with striking power. In reminiscing his achievements, he was 'owed' a few more votes that assisted the rise of the Sydney Swans in their early formation and represented an endorsed contribution to positive, successfully-promulgated acceptance of the 'newbies' to national footy. At the time, many of us still considered him to be a Demon - falling sway to more positive interpretations of the Swans and the extinguished South Melbourne vanishing act. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2022 at 7:24 AM, 640MD said:

In my opinion

Gerard Healy can stick his opinions where is wallet sits.  He turned towards the money years ago FO!

And MFC remembered ....

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:45 PM, Deemania since 56 said:

The story that I was told, was that his nose was out of joint because MFC wouldn't help him study to be a physiotherapist.  No idea if its true.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

That is the Brownlow he should have won whilst a Demon, yet somehow was overlooked and his incredible merits were for some reason 'ignored' as Brownlow items. ( ie: nothing has changed. Think Clarrie and Tulip). He often played a different position, and in reality took on more responsibilities as a ball-magnet utility with striking power. In reminiscing his achievements, he was 'owed' a few more votes that assisted the rise of the Sydney Swans in their early formation and represented an endorsed contribution to positive, successfully-promulgated acceptance of the 'newbies' to national footy. At the time, many of us still considered him to be a Demon - falling sway to more positive interpretations of the Swans and the extinguished South Melbourne vanishing act. 

56 can you please state in about 2/3?lines what you mean in your tirade about Gerard Healy. I

I must  be dumb but that is so verbose on a Monday morning!! 

• Haha 1