Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Hibberd & Jake Melksham - 1 Year Extensions

dazzledavey36

Not that it's ever an excuse and you play who you play, but copping Brisbane in that semi final really did not help us. By that point they had too much film and study acquired on us (especially with the most previous game being 2 weeks previous). It is hard enough for anyone let alone Hibberd to play on one of the league's best small forwards 3 times and come up trumps every time.

I also thought Smith was labelled a bit harshly in the 21 QF, there was 1 goal that I definitely thought he erred but little else apart from that. If we take that approach with Smith then the same should be taken with Hibbo. Beaten? Yes, disgraced? No.

• Like 4

• Demonland changed the title to Melksham & Hibberd Both Sign 1 Year Extensions
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to Michael Hibberd & Jake Melksham - 1 Year Extensions

Clearly we have more interest in the depth of the 2023 draft (where we already have four 1st/2nd round picks, if I recall correctly) than in the 2022.

I'd suggest they are on modest salaries, will require very little attention from coaches, contribute to player development at Casey, and be part of the overall weight of demonstration and support for standards for new players. These things matter in the era of tight budgets and footy dept soft caps.

Plus, obviously, either of them in their better form is a legitimate AFL level player.

I'm not dancing around giddy but I'm also far from being upset.

Also, Melksham just needs 6 more games for his premium genetics to become available to us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Slightly off topic but I hope all listed players get invited to future GF reunions, would love Jake and others to be a part of that

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I wish I could be pleased with this - but I’m not.

I'm picking up what you're putting down man.
As good as they've been, it just tells me we don't have the youth pushing them out.
But I'm happy for both players they get to around again.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I'm picking up what you're putting down man.
As good as they've been, it just tells me we don't have the youth pushing them out.
But I'm happy for both players they get to around again.

Cats likely have 6-8 players older on their list.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, layzie said:

Not that it's ever an excuse and you play who you play, but copping Brisbane in that semi final really did not help us. By that point they had too much film and study acquired on us (especially with the most previous game being 2 weeks previous). It is hard enough for anyone let alone Hibberd to play on one of the league's best small forwards 3 times and come up trumps every time.

I also thought Smith was labelled a bit harshly in the 21 QF, there was 1 goal that I definitely thought he erred but little else apart from that. If we take that approach with Smith then the same should be taken with Hibbo. Beaten? Yes, disgraced? No.

The issue of minding Charlie Cameron is that Hibbo  has runs on the board even though the Semi performance was underwhelming, along with several other players games that night.

With regard to Smithy in the QUAL Final in 2021 he had no idea of how to mind Charlie especially in the first quarter. He was slow and his footy smarts were shown up that night early.

Not sure now who can mind Charlie if Hibbo fails or we are unable to invent another blocker. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I wish I could be pleased with this - but I’m not.

What would you prefer? ND53? They’ll be helpful next year. Delisted FA? They are keeping out speculative kids that we would have to spend time and energy in when we should focus on our great team and fitting in Grundy, Hunter, and JVR.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, rpfc said:

Good to see! Great additions and we got the better end of those deals. Both will play 100+ games for us and set standards in how to play to those that drove our flag win

Hibberd partially saved our bacon in the 2021 prelim when May went down, giving mature defensive support when most needed. Lucky to be there but he did a great job, the defence never looked unsteady, and although he was a bit player supporting Lever and Co I'm forever grateful for his efforts and pleased for him personally to make the Flag team.

Sensible call to give both these players 1 final year which won't be a waste depth-wise.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, rpfc said:

Good to see! Great additions and we got the better end of those deals. Both will play 100+ games for us and set standards in how to play to those that drove our flag win

Fair enough. I just think they are well past their best and if they are getting games we are in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

What would you prefer? ND53? They’ll be helpful next year. Delisted FA? They are keeping out speculative kids that we would have to spend time and energy in when we should focus on our great team and fitting in Grundy, Hunter, and JVR.

Spot on rpfc. 

• Like 2

Very happy for Jake and Michael they provide quality depth and great leadership and support for our younger brigade.!!

• Like 2

Even though the pair is getting to the end of the AFL careers they are the glue that binds a football club and gives younger players a challenge to become better to displace them from the team.

I think they will be happy to step aside if the younger brigade pass them in earning their stripes, al la Nathan Jones who was selfless in the twilight of his career.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2022 at 7:38 AM, chook fowler said:

Fair enough. I just think they are well past their best and if they are getting games we are in trouble.

Don't agree on the getting games aspect.Purely because I think the whole squad was in the 2022  washup looking pretty stuffed and niggled by Injury.

I hope the use of all players is broadened far more than 2022 and our goal is to have the best available at the best times. ie after the bye and prior to first final.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demonstone said:

So would the club, but Toby wanted out.  C'est la vie.

Go back to what I said before. There was something in the water at that boarding place. Either discussions with managers not private enough or someone was visiting there who shouldn't have been. Perhaps ratbags from media or other clubs or even good advice friends.