Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We cannot draft again from WA

The Stigga

Swings and roundabouts. We got Lever, we lose Jackson. Our best have stuck around and will be around for ages.

Jackson looks like being a gun but that is yet to be seen. What we do with these picks I am more interested in. State borders and distance should not be a determining factor in who we draft.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

One thing is sure, the draft system sucks!

Top Draft picks my [censored]!, they are not assets when you can't keep those players for at least 5 years in your team.

I'd rather prefer there was a separate draft for each state.

Agree, rookie contracts need to be 3+1+1 with club options for 4th and 5th year. This at least gives clubs some more surety than a 2 year contract for a kid who just finished high school.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Yes, we must bar access from Western Australia. Actually is there any way we can secede from all the other states so we never have homesick players? You see, our biggest problem is that no-one at any club has ever been homesick other than at our club. 

If we ever have a no.1 pick and the best kid is from WA, we should send them a little letter saying that under no circumstances would we draft a snot nosed pencil necked West Australian, because we don't do that at high and mightyville. 

Didn't that happen in 2008? 🤔😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Be prepared for more sleepless nights because if we retain pick 13 and West Coast don’t take Ginbey with 8 or 12 we will take him with 13 if available 

Would be a great outcome if he was available here. Hard to see WC passing on him twice though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Would be a great outcome if he was available here. Hard to see WC passing on him twice though.

Agreed, think he’s heading there myself

He’s a country boy who has been boarding in Perth for the last few years so used to being away from home and I think will play in 2023 for whoever drafts him

• Like 3

It’s not so much do not draft WA, or even interstate draftees. But more about doing our due diligence on a personal level. It doesn’t take Einstein to see that Jackson has lived a very sheltered existence. People say that he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, but to my eye, it just looks as though he’s never had an opportunity to grow and become independent, and have that confidence to shine.

I wouldn’t rule out every WA potential draftee on the merits of one. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Plenty of AFL players change state and stay.

A lot of posters assume they know the situation with Dogga, especially those calling him a "mummy's boy" (which really say more about the poster). He may well have extenuating circumstances we do not know of 

We also need to get better at poaching interstate players originally from Vic, though we did bloody well with Lever and Langdon

I'm with those who say this topic is an overreaction

They are Vics returning home actually, but that is the way we can approach this situation. An eye for an eye !! 

• Like 1

Just now, 58er said:

They are Vics returning home actually, but that is the way we can approach this situation. An eye for an eye !! 

Sorry Stiff Arm gif mit read your post correctly and you made exactly the very good point that we agreed upon. 
Poach  the Vics boys back!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SFebes said:

Take a look at what Geelong have done or doing. Very smart recruiting. I think @Lucifers Heroput a post up about it the other day also.

I think this is the post you are referring to...?

On 10/7/2022 at 7:57 AM, Lucifers Hero said:

It isn't just WA players.  Here are a few others in recent times that have gone home within a few years of being drafted.. 

• Tom Boyd:  pick 1
  • Josh Schache:  pick 2
  • Jesse Hogan: pre draft priority pick
  • Luke Jackson:  pick 3
  • Adam Cerra:  pick 5
  • Jason Horn Francis:  pick 1
  • Tanner Bruhn:  pick 12
  • Isaac Rankine:  pick 3

I'm sure there are lots of others around the league.

And of course many have stayed the course at an i/state club.  But still a big risk at the pointy end.

So good on WCE.

Geelong are certainly adopting the recruit locals appproach.  Most of their top end recruits in recent years have been 'locals' ie Greater Geelong region.  Nearly half their list will be 'locals'

Our exposure to 'flight risk' is high as we have 6 players from SA/WA/NT who are recent recruits and are or likely to be in our best 25:  Top of the list are JVR and Kozzie.  Then there is Rivers, Woewodin, Mc Vee, Monz-Wakefield.   I've excluded ANB, Sparrow, Chandler, Petty and others who have shown a longer commitment to the club.

It is those that leave in the first 1-3 years of their draft which are the most concern as a club gets little return for the development that has been invested in them.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

People that want to pot this thread, how would Tassie go retaining players? 

Terrible

I'm Tasmanian. I want a team. We won't retain players though. Hobart is a great place to grow up. It's a great place to move to once you hit your 30s and are ready to settle down. A 20 year old who moves here? Not good. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is my favourite thread of the draft so far.

I’m gonna buy FOUR of these t-shirts and use a big red posca to draw a cross through the WA map. Then Goody, Lamby, Tails and Ooze can wear them to the draft.

Edit: they can remove them if Ginbey slips to our pick.

29B2E96A-54DF-4FBE-B0AC-CAAE24D17124.jpeg

Edited by The Jackson FIX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The winner of this year's Brownlow is from WA but plays for Carlton (Cripps).

Runner up in the Brownlow is from SA but plays for Brisbane (and once wanted to go "home"...to Perth) (Neale).

Third in the Brownlow is from Victoria but plays for Gold Coast (Miller).

Fourth in the Brownlow is from Victoria but plays for Fremantle (Brayshaw).

Last year's Brownlow was won by a Victorian playing for Port Adelaide (Wines). Equal 5th last year was the St Kilda captain who is from the ACT (Steele). Equal 7th last year was another Victorian playing for Port Adelaide (Boak), and equal 9th was a Lion from Victoria (Lyons).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

The winner of this year's Brownlow is from WA but plays for Carlton (Cripps).

Runner up in the Brownlow is from SA but plays for Brisbane (and once wanted to go "home"...to Perth) (Neale).

Third in the Brownlow is from Victoria but plays for Gold Coast (Miller).

Fourth in the Brownlow is from Victoria but plays for Fremantle (Brayshaw).

Last year's Brownlow was won by a Victorian playing for Port Adelaide (Wines). Equal 5th last year was the St Kilda captain who is from the ACT (Steele). Equal 7th last year was another Victorian playing for Port Adelaide (Boak), and equal 9th was a Lion from Victoria (Lyons).

There are lots of ways to look at this topic.  The points you make a fair when looking at success of players who don't 'go home'. 

The main issue is for me is when top end picks go home within 1-3 years.  Of the 8 in the list I posted 7 were top 5 picks and 'went home' within a couple of years of being drafted.

It is too easy for a draftee to say: I'll go where I'm drafted but I can go home after a year two.  There needs to be a way where clubs that draft in the top 5 or top 10 to have their investment protected.

I don't have any answers to how that can happen...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Why not? Not every good player that comes through is going to be a demon for life, that’s the reality of footy.

Nothing wrong with developing young talent and then cashing in when they turn 21 in trades. Sure, it didn’t completely work out value wise with jacko this time, but it’s swings and roundabouts with these sort of things. In recent history, we’ve been the overall beneficiary in more trades than we haven’t. 

I would be furious is we passed on a great draft opportunity because we were concerned they’ll leave in 2-3 years for home. 

Re: Jacko - I don’t rate freo as highly as most, and I think them falling off a cliff like we did in 2019 is certainly a possibility. If that happens, suddenly this jacko trade is nothing short of elite for us. Time will tell. 

Edited by Smokey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

A professional club should back itself in to retain interstate players. We recruited LJ Kozzi and Rivers in the same draft. Should we have avoided them? If so, I don’t reckon we win the flag last year

• Like 5

9 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, they are. That's why we got some draft picks in return for him. Like any asset, players are tradeable commodities whose worth rise and fall based on subjective assessments as to value.

9 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, they are. That's why we got some draft picks in return for him. Like any asset, players are tradeable commodities whose worth rise and fall based on subjective assessments as to value.

The trouble with this post is that it makes total sense. There’s no place for comments like these on this thread. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

There are lots of ways to look at this topic.  The points you make a fair when looking at success of players who don't 'go home'. 

The main issue is for me is when top end picks go home within 1-3 years.  Of the 8 in the list I posted 7 were top 5 picks and 'went home' within a couple of years of being drafted.

It is too easy for a draftee to say: I'll go where I'm drafted but I can go home after a year two.  There needs to be a way where clubs that draft in the top 5 or top 10 to have their investment protected.

I don't have any answers to how that can happen...

Min 3 year rookie Contracts with club option for a 2 year extension. This should make this sort of players 'untouchable' for at least 5 years.

• Like 2

I'd think a 3 year rookie contract could help but I don't see it stopping kids requesting trades after their first or second year like JHF. I understand we want more protection for clubs and a bit more leverage at the trade table but there would be a knock on effect somewhere else in list management eg if we go to delist Fraser Rosman and have to pay out his last year, these instances would add up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd think a 3 year rookie contract could help but I don't see it stopping kids requesting trades after their first or second year like JHF. I understand we want more protection for clubs and a bit more leverage at the trade table but there would be a knock on effect somewhere else in list management eg if we go to delist Fraser Rosman and have to pay out his last year, these instances would add up.

This should only apply to the top 10 or top 5 picks IMO

• Like 1