Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

All-Time WORST AFL Trades


Whispering_Jack
 Share


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Tony Tea said:

Freo gave away Pick 1 and mid range picks to Hawthorn for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. Croad  went back to Hawthorn and played in a flag with Hodge and Mitchell, who the Hawks got with the Freo picks.

And when Hawthorn got him back they traded pick 10 which turned out to be 8 gamer Riley Dunn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The Biz was an absolute gun for us in the later Daniher years, and the Wiz was just so-so at Freo and wanted to leave anyway. That trade was perfectly fine in my eyes. 

Some that stick out off the top of my head are North trading a first rounder for Jonathan Hay. He played 8 games for them. The Hawks got Max Bailey with the pick so didn’t make  full use of the pick. Still worth a mention. 

Hawks trading a first rounder for Jonathan O’Rourke who ended up being as bad as Toumpas.

Carlton trading Shaun Grigg for Andrew Collins. Straight swap. Grigg played 150+ games for the Tigers and Collins was delisted pretty quickly.

Speaking of straight swaps. Mitch Farmer for Jay Schulz. Oops. Schulz was awesome at Port and Farmer was a bust. 

Port Adelaide trading pick 14 for Nathan Lonie. That pick became Grant Birchall. Lonie played 40 forgettable games at Port and retired at 25.

Weller for pick 2 is an obvious one. Can see why the Suns did it though and it’s a shame for them that pick 2 Brayshaw became a bonafide superstar. They don’t always.

Not sure if this should count but Melbourne trading Jack Watts to Port for pick 31 (Bailey Fritsch). I put that down to good drafting more than good trading. 
Speaking of which, Lever and a second rounder (Petty) for two firsts which became Lochie O’Brien and Liam Stocker anyone? 

Not going to include trades from last century as clubs generally had NFI what they were doing in those days.

I’m sure I’ve missed many. 

 

Edited by Bang Bang Bang
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

The Biz was an absolute gun for us in the later Daniher years, and the Wiz was just so-so at Freo and wanted to leave anyway. That trade was perfectly fine in my eyes. 

Some that stick out off the top of my head are North trading a first rounder for Jonathan Hay. He played 8 games for them. The Hawks got Max Bailey with the pick so didn’t make  full use of the pick. Still worth a mention. 

Hawks trading a first rounder for Jonathan O’Rourke who ended up being as bad as Toumpas.

Carlton trading Shaun Grigg for Andrew Collins. Straight swap. Grigg played 150+ games for the Tigers and Collins was delisted pretty quickly.

Speaking of straight swaps. Mitch Farmer for Jay Schulz. Oops. Schulz was awesome at Port and Farmer was a bust. 

Port Adelaide trading pick 14 for Nathan Lonie. That pick became Grant Birchall. Lonie played 40 forgettable games at Port and retired at 25.

Weller for pick 2 is an obvious one. Can see why the Suns did it though and it’s a shame for them that pick 2 Brayshaw became a bonafide superstar. They don’t always.

Not sure if this should count but Melbourne trading Jack Watts to Port for pick 31 (Bailey Fritsch). I put that down to good drafting more than good trading. 
Speaking of which, Lever and a second rounder (Petty) for two firsts which became Lochie O’Brien and Liam Stocker anyone? 

Not going to include trades from last century as clubs generally had NFI what they were doing in those days.

I’m sure I’ve missed many. 

 

Wiz's stats at Free were very similar to those of when he played for us. At most, a couple of percent drop off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

What did St Kilda give up to get Andrew Lovett?

Also, going back a long time, but surely John Pitura to Richmond in return for Graeme Teasdale, Whale Roberts and Francis Jackson (did I get that right?) has to be right up there.

 

Brilliant get @La Dee-vina Comedia. But I suggest there is one even more Fd-U from the same era that, arguably, in the sliding-door moment, has repercussions today. Care to guess?

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Brilliant get @La Dee-vina Comedia. But I suggest there is one even more Fd-U from the same era that, arguably, in the sliding-door moment, has repercussions today. Care to guess?

South Melbourne trading the Daniher brothers to Essendon for Neville Fields?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

What did St Kilda give up to get Andrew Lovett?

Also, going back a long time, but surely John Pitura to Richmond in return for Graeme Teasdale, Whale Roberts and Francis Jackson (did I get that right?) has to be right up there.

 

 

36 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

South Melbourne trading the Daniher brothers to Essendon for Neville Fields?

Cost South a dynasty. I would suggest no other trade comes near the level of clusterphucary this has turned out to be.  

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

 

Cost South a dynasty. I would suggest no other trade comes near the level of clusterphucary this has turned out to be.  

As a matter of interest, did Geelong have to trade anything to get Gary Ablett Sr from Hawthorn or was he "delisted" (in today's language) and available to anyone? It may not have been a disaster for Hawthorn, but it's certainly been a great success for Geelong.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hawthorn parted ways with Ablett after he struggled with city life and wasn't keen on turning up for training.  He played the following year at Myrtleford under the coaching of his Uncle Len before Geelong recruited him.

Along the lines of the Daniher balls-up, Sydney also relinquished the rights to two Riverina products in Wayne Carey and John Longmire to North Melbourne for a packet of chips.  To be fair, they were Samboy Barbecue, the king of chips.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

As a matter of interest, did Geelong have to trade anything to get Gary Ablett Sr from Hawthorn or was he "delisted" (in today's language) and available to anyone? It may not have been a disaster for Hawthorn, but it's certainly been a great success for Geelong.   

Alan Jeans was once asked about this. His answer was broadly along these lines . . . in the time Abblett has been at Jeelong, we've won four premierships and they've won none - we're happy with our decision.

This was Jeans effectively saying "we are better off without him".

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Alan Jeans was once asked about this. His answer was broadly along these lines . . . in the time Abblett has been at Jeelong, we've won four premierships and they've won none - we're happy with our decision.

This was Jeans effectively saying "we are better off without him".

Mind you, it would take some bold (and lateral) thinking not to trade a player on the basis that you lose future father-son rights as well as the player himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO our worst trades were when we got Kelvin Templeton and Peter Moore. Two stupendously highly paid superstars for the time who gave us absolutely nothing. Tellingly we only improved more or less immediately after they left. Templeton never really recovered from a serious knee injury sustained before he came to us and Moore just basically played for Brownlow votes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Alan Jeans was once asked about this. His answer was broadly along these lines . . . in the time Abblett has been at Jeelong, we've won four premierships and they've won none - we're happy with our decision.

This was Jeans effectively saying "we are better off without him".

With Ablett’s issues at the time every other club would have let him go if they had him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

IMO our worst trades were when we got Kelvin Templeton and Peter Moore. Two stupendously highly paid superstars for the time who gave us absolutely nothing

Templeton kicked 99 goals in 34 games and Moore got a Brownlow. Hardly nothing, but yes, seemed to offer a lot more at the time for the $300k price tag.

The Phil Carman trade with Ross Brewer in '79 was worse. Carman played 1 [censored] season for us and Brewer went on to play in 2 (losing) grannies for Collingwood. Also, the Greg Wells trade in '81 to Carlton for $35k and Vinny Catoggio hurt too.

And I know this will upset a lot of Demonlanders but arguably our worst trade of recent times was done during Prendergast's disastrous draft pick era (2008-2012): Mitch Clark (36 goals in 2 seasons) for pick 12 (Sam Docherty)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, dice said:

Also, the Greg Wells trade in '81 to Carlton for $35k and Vinny Catoggio hurt too.

Greg had been a faithful servant of the club and towards the end of his career we let him go to seek success.  Not every trade can be judged on face value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    TRAINING MONDAY 30/1/2023 NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog da

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog day ground ball gets Teles

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jordon, K Turner, #46 (may be Coop

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...